Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

[quote name='LMKakaThing2']Found this on Online Cruise Advisor:

"Royal Caribbean update their Wine Policy
Posted by alison in Cruise News, Cruise Tips & Advice

Royal Caribbean International have just announced that effective 1st November 2012, guests will be able to take personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of their cruise. This will be limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom.
The wine can be consumed in your cabin, however if you prefer to drink it in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00 which will be applied to your onboard account.
Anyone who receives wine as an amenity or Gift via a Royal Caribbean purchase is permitted to consume it in their stateroom or any of the public areas onboard (including the dining room, specialty restaurants, and bars/lounges) without incurring a corkage fee.
Guests are not allowed to bring any other alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.
No open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into the dining areas or public areas.
Information provided by Royal Caribbean International."[/quote]

Now if the same information will only make it to the RCL webpage...cause right now it still say's no liquor can be brought onboard in the FAQ...:(

If true for North American cruises its a nice bonus but I can't help but think ahead to my 13 nighter coming up... It's not really "fair" to have the same limit on 3/4 night Monarch/Majesty cruises as a 10-14 day TA or extended cruise... Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='leinhto']Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?[/quote]

they are allowed. we have several tiny/travel versions. when flying, it must be checked.

the funny part is, I went and did some price checking..

it will actually be CHEAPER to order a bottle of Dom on board for consumption than it would be for me to buy it locally and pay the corkage fee. Dom is only $15 more when buying through Royal than from my shop and it will already be iced when I order it( whether I choose to have it in the room or get it at dinner as opposed to bringing it on bird and then waiting for it to chill.

Hmm wonder what the policy will be on bringing in a bottle to the CL...we met some wonderful companions that we got along very well with and I would not hesitate to offer to share

[quote name='kc320']Now if the same information will only make it to the RCL webpage...cause right now it still say's no liquor can be brought onboard in the FAQ...:([/QUOTE]

It's on the [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/#q14"]UK [/URL] faq site.

[quote name='NorbertsNiece']It's on the [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/#q14"]UK [/URL]faq site.[/quote]

I saw that...but I'm in the US...and there are differences in the US & UK policy in other matters...would not surprise me to see a difference in this area as well....

[quote name='spookwife']they are allowed. we have several tiny/travel versions. when flying, it must be checked.

the funny part is, I went and did some price checking..

it will actually be CHEAPER to order a bottle of Dom on board for consumption than it would be for me to buy it locally and pay the corkage fee. Dom is only $15 more when buying through Royal than from my shop and it will already be iced when I order it( whether I choose to have it in the room or get it at dinner as opposed to bringing it on bird and then waiting for it to chill.

Hmm wonder what the policy will be on bringing in a bottle to the CL...we met some wonderful companions that we got along very well with and I would not hesitate to offer to share[/quote]

:cool:You just bring that Dom to my place. I'll be glad to help you drink it LOL:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

[quote name='CP3o']Thanks for this update. I'm shocked they didn't think to include size limitations (750ml) and restrict it to carryon. I can't imagine telling scanners that 10 times the number of bags that normally get flagged will have to be searched to determine if it's wine or rum. Or, they have to be told, if it looks like wine bottle, let it pass, if it looks like liquor or rum runner, flag it. [/quote]

Well, the more we talk about it, the more they are likely to restrict the size.:eek:

[quote name='leinhto']Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?[/quote]

Bringing your own corkscrew is permitted. We have had one in either our carry on our checked bag for years. It's easier to use than the one they that sometimes leave with our amenity wine. And if you are flying, TSA allows you to carry on a corkscrew, but mind that it doesn't have a foil-cutting blade on it, as the blade will get it confiscated. Ours has a round cutter, and I had to demonstrate it for the agent once.

My son just boarded the Brilliance @ Cape Liberty today with 2x bottles of wine in his carry-on. It was confiscated and was given a receipt to return at the end of the cruise. He said some employees were aware of the Nov 1st policy change, others were not.

Once onboard, he called the D+ desk who re-verified the new rule and went to speak to Guest Relations on the ship. They made a few phone calls and said his wine would be delivered to his stateroom shortly. The also apologized for the mis-communication.

I'm guessing it will take a while for everyone to know about the policy change.

[quote name='spookwife']

.. except we will most likely have it in our cabin as we have a lovely travel wine case that comes with a corkscrew and glasses.

[/quote]

Can you tell me where you purchased your case? I've been looking on-line, but haven't found anything like this.

I agree with the others who have said they'll feel better about this, once it's confirmed on the RC (US) website. I searched all over and couldn't find anything about any change in policy. I even checked the Investor Relations page, where new policies often appear first. Even a Google search just directed me to this thread. And, we all know what happens when you call RC -- if you talk to three different people, you'll get four different answers! :rolleyes:

I've had a cork screw in the outer pocket of one of my bags for a couple of years. I forgot it was there on a recent flight and it was tagged by the scanner. I had to go through the whole bag search. :rolleyes: They knew what it was but I still had to jump through the hoops until they saw it. Once they verified it was a cork screw - it was fine and dandy.

[quote name='glendon3281']My son just boarded the Brilliance @ Cape Liberty today with 2x bottles of wine in his carry-on. It was confiscated and was given a receipt to return at the end of the cruise. He said some employees were aware of the Nov 1st policy change, others were not.

Once onboard, he called the D+ desk who re-verified the new rule and went to speak to Guest Relations on the ship. They made a few phone calls and said his wine would be delivered to his stateroom shortly. The also apologized for the mis-communication.

I'm guessing it will take a while for everyone to know about the policy change.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, I just printed the document of the UK site and I will attempt to bring two bottles on Sunday.

[quote name='Host Elizanessie'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Yes it is true. I expect there will be an official announcement tomorrow as they usually do them on Fridays.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]Effective 11/01/12, guests who wish to bring on 2 bottles (per stateroom) of personal wine at the start of their Royal Caribbean cruise may do so.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]If they are consumed in any of the bars, restaurants or dining venues then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

Hi Liz!

I followed a link posted on our board about the personal wine and found you. Bob and I sailed with the Critters last year on the Allure and enjoyed it so much, especially meeting you! This year we're on the Vision of the Seas sailing 12/3 and doing the Southern Caribbean for 11 nights. Say hi to everyone and enjoy your cruise. Perhaps we'll cruise together again!

Bon Voyage!
Claudia and Bob Hale

I have been laughing and having so much fun watching all the responses on this thread.

I really appreciate all of you that will get this straightened out before we take our cruise, on the EOS, next Oct 13th. This will save me the aggravation of having our bottles confiscated and returned by then. :)

Now I will also need to have them figure into the price a stop on the way to the port.

There is no way we are going to try and fly with 6 bottles of wine. My shoes clown shoes take up too much room in the luggage. :cool:

We always carry a wine opener in our checked bag and never have had a problem.

It is nice they are doing this. While we will have the concierge lounge available, we also all like to be able to have a glass of wine, of our choosing, on the balcony once in a while.

There should be some interesting stories here until they all get the word.

I wonder why they did not do a PR on a big deal like this?

[quote name='orville99']Google wine travel case and you'll find a ton of cases.[/quote]

I did, but I couldn't find a nice one that will hold 2 bottles. Seems like the nicer ones only hold 1 bottle. I'll keep looking though....thought I'd try to take the easy way out by finding out what others have.:D:)

My son just boarded the Brilliance @ Cape Liberty today with 2x bottles of wine in his carry-on. It was confiscated and was given a receipt to return at the end of the cruise. He said some employees were aware of the Nov 1st policy change, others were not.

I'm guessing it will take a while for everyone to know about the policy change.

I agree - this type of change is going to take a while. I would imagine a month or two. Just imagine the port agents there this week might receive a briefing, but what about those on vacation or away. When they return, if they are not told of the policy change they will operate under the old policy.

Patience on our part will be the virtue - I just don't see this rolling out perfectly - as demonstrated above. But the good thing is he was successful in boarding with the wine - so that's a positive sign.

Edited by gw2fll