So Pam in Ca. & Caribil , WHAT INSURANCE?

warb

I'm older so for me, the upgraded Princess insurance works. It doesn't include air but I usually use air miles and have found in the past that I can cancel and re-use the miles for a change fee I can afford, even international flights. In addition, I have an annual plan with Medjet Assist which will medevac me (and anyone accompanying me) from anywhere in the world to anywhere I need to be as long as it's 150 miles from home.

No matter what you get, none are completely all-inclusive for pretty much all circumstances. We were told that TravelGuard will pay expenses if you accompany someone else for a total of five days. The Princess insurance will cover up to the full cost of the cruise pro-rated to the number of days cruised. For instance, my sister and I both stayed at a hotel in FLL for a month while my BIL was in the ICU there before he was stable enough to be flown in a medical jet (via MedJet Assist) to CA. Almost all of my expenses were covered by Princess insurance, most of my sister's (because I'd paid as a solo so I paid more than my sister for the cruise.) TravelGuard would have paid for five days from what I understand. AA allowed us to modify our flights back to CA for no change fee.

The most important thing is to read the fine print and get the insurance that's right for you based on what you're willing to gamble on or willing to pay for the gamble.

We have yet to purchase any travel insurance, so we are self-insured except for medical expenses which our supplemental medical insurance will cover when out of the USA.

But if we were to purchase insurance, we would get the Princess insurance with the upgrade. Again, it is not based on age.

We have yet to purchase any travel insurance, so we are self-insured except for medical expenses which our supplemental medical insurance will cover when out of the USA.

But if we were to purchase insurance, we would get the Princess insurance with the upgrade. Again, it is not based on age.

What about emergency evacuation? How do you plan to cover that part?

I will always buy insurance.

People who do not buy it are self-insuring.

That is fine, but if you choose to self-insure

...please do not complain because the cruise line is cruising when you think it should be cancelled so you can recoup the cruise travel you CHOSE NOY to insure.

I SHOULD HAVE just gotten the Princess upgrade insurance for my mother-in law. I THINK it would have been cheaper...but for the younger adults in our group, our 4 day cruise cost 27$ each to insure...35$ for my husband & I.

Hers was 181$, worht every penny for complete peace of mind.

6 of us had trip interruption as part of the insurance, I had been most concerned for GREAT medical for our 83 year old, BECAUSE we were supposed to be out of the country.

When our original car service got messed up, USAA insurance rep got us a car service as most others in the tri state area were saying no gas/no cars due to the superstorm and no electricity to get gas pumped.

The 12 passenger van was 600$ including tip and gas surcharge.

will be completely reimbursed. 200$ per person/day times 6 -1200

750 per person total times six.

On our summer Ruby cruise, we were diverted from Newark to LaGuardia, trip insurance covered that too...

Pam, I always use your experience to remind people why they should carry insurance on cruises.

My BEST advice to all cruisers is to be fully informed on WHY you might NEED or USE cruise insurance and THEN decide to buy it or self-insure based on research and full knowledge of risk v. benifits.

I chose not to get cancel for any reason, esp cause my primary focus WAS the medical for two of our 8 travelers....2 of our party of 8 did not purchase insurance...6 of our party would not have medical outside the USA, so I got it for THAT reason...and if the 4 day cruise did not get cancelled, and we chose

not to go....I would take the hit of the six fares paid for our group....

That was the risk I took ONLY because it was a 4 day fare vs. a 7 or more days...

Bernadette

We always use Travel Guard and get the medi-vac. High probability for me, so it's worth it.

Actually, earlier this year, my DB and his GF cancelled a cruise that we only booked to go with them. It was a medical issue, and Travel Guard refunded all but the small cancellation fee.

But~~I originally booked the cruise on my credit card for all of us, so that may have had something to do with it. IDK.

Pat

We've been getting the TripAssist Family Care plan from Allianz Travel Insurance through our travel agent. We had to use it earlier this year when we had to cancel a cruise due to a death in the family. It reimbursed us for everything!

We always considered our health, which is very good, when it comes to insurance. Self insured from l982 til about 3 years ago. Finally decided because of age alone it was time to buy insurance my DH is 80 and I am 65. Now we purchase Travel Guard with medivac coverage, purchase an option to double medical coverage through our TA. Our health is still excellent but as one ages, things can change. Don't worry about trip expenses - just medical and medivac, if needed.

I agree with those advocating purchasing travel insurance - especially for the medi-vac portion (if needed). We have witnessed medical evacuation on three of our cruises. Captain told us that costs usually BEGIN at $25,000 just to send out the helicopter. I surely wouldn't want to be self-insuring THAT!!

OUr TA of 20+ years shops around for the best policy for us at the best price he can get. Sometimes it is with the cruise line - other times it is TravelGuard, Allianz or another group. We trust him to select what is best and we do read through it thoroughly so we know what's what. We also take a hard copy with us on each cruise.

I can remember Pan (from CA) posting several years ago about her brother's serious illness and medivac situation, how her MedJet insurance kicked in, and how pleased she was with the service she received.

We had Princess Platinum policies two years ago when we decided to cancel our trans-Atlantic cruise due to the Iceland volcanic eruption. We cancelled one week before the cruise was scheduled to depart. It covered us 100% (excepting cost of the two policies). Since this was a 5-figure cruise, the insurance cost was most definitely worth it!!

DH is 74 - I am 66. We wouldn't dream of leaving on a cruise without travel insurance. Many companies offer "cancel-for-any-reason" clauses but you will have to pay a bit more. We figure at our ages, it is wise for us to do so. Besides - anyone can, unfortunately, experience a serious illness or even a death in the family, home problems (such as a fire) and - as seen most recently - severe weather - all circumstances that could cause the need to cancel or postpone your voyage.

If one chooses to self-insure, and not purchase a policy with cancel-for-any-reason or medi-vac clauses , then one should understand the consequences of their actions, IMO.

Pam. Help me understand why MedJet Assist in addition to Princess Platinum Protection which covers Medical Evacuation up to $50K. ???

Just Want to make sure I'm not missing some important coverage

Thanks!

Pam. Help me understand why MedJet Assist in addition to Princess Platinum Protection which covers Medical Evacuation up to $50K. ???

Just Want to make sure I'm not missing some important coverage

Thanks!

Not Pam - but I also buy MedJet Assist.

Most insurance companies will evacuate you to the nearest hospital to treat you (not the hospital of your choice). MedJet Assist (once on land) will fly you to the hospital of your choice if it is safe to transport you (most likely your home hospital with your normal doctors). They will send a jet to pick you up and staff it with medical professionals.

You still need the evacuation insurance from other insurance companies incase you have to be medi-vaced from a ship.

Here is there info: http://medjetassist.com/

If you are an AARP member, ask about their discounts.

If you buy your own insurance check the coverage. We have found that the insurance recommended by most airlines and also our TA is not valid for residents of Texas.

... just a little detail, but come claim time you bet they will invoke it. :rolleyes:

Like what? We've never found that to be true.

I'm older so for me, the upgraded Princess insurance works. It doesn't include air but I usually use air miles and have found in the past that I can cancel and re-use the miles for a change fee I can afford, even international flights. In addition, I have an annual plan with Medjet Assist which will medevac me (and anyone accompanying me) from anywhere in the world to anywhere I need to be as long as it's 150 miles from home.

What is the upgraded Princess Insurance? We have the Princess Platinum Vacation Protection for our next cruise in June. Is this the upgraded insurance? I see that Princess insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Thank you.

What is the upgraded Princess Insurance? We have the Princess Platinum Vacation Protection for our next cruise in June. Is this the upgraded insurance? I see that Princess insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Thank you.

I believe it covers preexisting conditions if you ask for it at the same time as you book the cruise.

Thank you.

I believe it covers preexisting conditions if you ask for it at the same time as you book the cruise.

Actually it doesn't. It has a look back period of 60 days from the day you paid for insurance. If there is no change in the 60 days, then you are covered.

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you:

1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

If I had a pre-exisiting condition, I would not use this insurance. An increase in a blood pressure med may cause one not to be covered for a heart issue on the cruise. It is just too vague for me.

My agent has a policy that lets me cover pre-existing conditions at final payment. I go with that policy instead. Plus, better coverage for around the same price (except cancel for any reason).

Not Pam - but I also buy MedJet Assist.

Most insurance companies will evacuate you to the nearest hospital to treat you (not the hospital of your choice). MedJet Assist (once on land) will fly you to the hospital of your choice if it is safe to transport you (most likely your home hospital with your normal doctors). They will send a jet to pick you up and staff it with medical professionals.

You still need the evacuation insurance from other insurance companies incase you have to be medi-vaced from a ship.

Here is there info: http://medjetassist.com/

If you are an AARP member, ask about their discounts.

Coral is correct. To give you our example, my BIL was in the Dade County ICU for a month after being evacuated from the ship due to a sudden perforated bowel. (FYI, we suspect it was due to eating nuts during our pre-dinner cocktail which goes to show how suddenly your life can change.) He was sedated for several reasons most of the time. Since he was already in an approved, major medical center, the Princess insurance wouldn't medevac him the 3,000 miles back home. They would have flown him commercially but that was medically impossible. So, there we were, 3,000 miles from home, living in a hotel during the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl and couldn't get him home with the Princess insurance. Once he was stable enough to be flown on a medically-equipped jet, my sister called MedJetAssist. They had a plane organized within four hours and all the transportation worked out. The hold-up for a couple of days was an available bed at Mission Hospital.

The Princess Platinum Vacation Plan is the upgraded plan. No, they don't cover a pre-existing condition but that relates to getting a refund. If it's not a covered reason, you get a credit towards a future cruise.

There are many different policies, plans and options, and there's no "one size fits all." Insurance is for the unexpected and there are possibly as many different unexpected events as there are members of CC. Everyone is different with different needs and possibilities. The key word here is "unexpected" and if you were clairvoyant, you'd know exactly what to purchase insurance for. :)

No matter what your age, health, pet or family health or age, "stuff" can and does happen. On the cruise we were on that my BIL got sick, one woman tripped and fell in Cabo, breaking her arm in four places and requiring surgery. She left the ship and flew home for the surgery. Someone else was playing basketball, twisted his ankle and broke it. On the cruise before ours, a woman was on a nature walk in Costa Rica and was bitten by a poisonous snake, requiring anti-venom. These were all active, healthy people, including my BIL.

Some people choose not to get insurance and that's their choice and their right. Each of us needs to examine what their loss or expenses could be and whether we can afford them. I know Bill (Caribill) to be a thoughtful person who does his research (far more than I do) so I respect his decision to self-insure.

Actually it doesn't. It has a look back period of 60 days from the day you paid for insurance. If there is no change in the 60 days, then you are covered.

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you:

1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

If I had a pre-exisiting condition, I would not use this insurance. An increase in a blood pressure med may cause one not to be covered for a heart issue on the cruise. It is just too vague for me.

My agent has a policy that lets me cover pre-existing conditions at final payment. I go with that policy instead. Plus, better coverage for around the same price (except cancel for any reason).

Thanks for the "heads up". :D

Thanks, Pam and Coral

I didn't catch the "nearest hospital" vice all the way home detail. That could be very important - as your experience showed, Pam.

WVBill - it could also be very important depending on where you get sick. I would be ok to be stuck in a hospital in Boston but would not be very happy to be stuck in Haiti or RCCL's private island Labadee (in Haiti). I first bought it when going to Russia. I remember reading about someone here who had been put off the ship in the Caribbean for a heart condition and couldn't convince anyone at the hospital in the Caribbean to see a cardiologist. It turned out they needed a cardiologist and ended up flying home with a heart condition to their own doctor as they couldn't see one where they were at (still surprised at this but some of these islands have limited hospitals).

Depending on the policy you buy, one of them is an annual policy and will work if you are sick 150 miles from home. So even if you take a weekend trip in the US and get sick, you can use the policy to get home. A friend of mine has bought this for their college student. She broke her leg across the country at college and they flew her home so that she could have surgery with her own orthopedic doctor and recover at home.

Pam , just want to thank you for your "Real Life" input on this insurance question.

I had read about your sad experience on an earlier post of yours. If your experience

doesn't enlighten people , nothing will. Thanks again.

Pam , just want to thank you for your "Real Life" input on this insurance question.

I had read about your sad experience on an earlier post of yours. If your experience doesn't enlighten people , nothing will. Thanks again.

The vast majority won't ever need it, even after 20, 30 or 50 cruises. It's when you're presented with an $8,000 bill by the ship for 24 hours of critical care or it's going to cost you thousands in unanticipated medical, cruise or transportation costs that you breathe a sigh of relief knowing you'll get it back or a credit.

Something to consider beyond the actual $'s involved is anxiety and stress. When something nasty happens to you or a loved one, the last thing you want to worry about or deal with is how to pay or how much you've lost. You become focused on getting the best possible care, least stressful transportation, etc.

So many posts in the past week have shown signs of stress. I get it. While insurance might not have been the answer to all their concerns, it would have given them options and reduced the stress and anxiety.

Archived