Holland leaving San Diego

big green

We have sailed out of SD twice, one went great, the other was horrible (Feb 2012). We were told by the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam (Feb 2012) about the suitcases going into the water around Christmas 2011 I believe. He did mention that HAL is looking to leave SD totally as a port for many reasons. I hate that thought too! It is a 2 hour drive for us. It makes no sense that in this economy that the Port of San Diego would chase away customers! The trickle down effect is huge for the stores, taxi's, hotels, etc. I just don't get it! I have never been employed anywhere that being rude and nasty to customers is allowed...why does this behavior continue:confused:

But Bruce Muzz said an entire cage of luggage was allowed to drop into the harbor nearly every week. Such exaggeration makes everything he says suspect especially when there is little other evidence of much of what else he says.

Based on what I have read on the boards, it seems that most of the problems with delays with customs has to do with the longer voyages that HAL takes to Tahiti, etc. It appears that there are some different scenarios that occur when you return from French Polynesia that is not as it is upon returning from Hawaii or Mexico.

I have seen luggage go into the water in Boston and San Juan. It happens! Luggage also gets wet sitting on the tarmac at airports. It has happened to me (more than once).

Now...about rude folks on the pier. It could be a simple solution to get their name and their supervisor's name. Write a letter to the San Diego Union and list the names as it occurred. Generally folks don't like to have their name in the paper in the letters to the editor like that.

Jim

We've done 7 San Diego cruises (5 round trip San Diego and one each beginning or ending there). These have included Mexico, Hawaii, Panama Canal and Pacific Coastal. We have never had problems with either embarkation or debarkation. We have also not had problems with baggage handlers, other port personnel or customs/immigration. San Diego port is our favorite and embarkation/debarkation there is overall the easiest we've experienced.

Most of the cruise lines - including my employer - have already pulled out of San Diego for the very same reasons.

On my final visits there:

The stevedores were shouting obscenities at the Captain and crew upon arrival.

Several fork lift drivers had to be removed as they were too drunk to drive.

Nearly every week they allowed an entire cage of suitcases to drop into the harbor.

When the stevedores came onboard to assist with loading they all had to be searched upon exiting as they were stealing so many things from the ship.

San Diego Immigration is habitually late and understaffed.

San Diego Immigration has a bunch of really rude officers who treat visitors like criminals.

San Diego could not get it's act together to build a proper cruise terminal. After Carnival gave them the money, they built a terminal that is too short for most ships to safely tie up there - and the harbor is too shallow in that area for most ships to call at low tide.

Wait a minute......Not all of this is true. Sure I live here, and the old terminal is old and not as good as others, but I have never ever seen drunk fork lift drivers.

Also, the new terminal didn't get finished as promised because CCL did not give all the money that they had promised. :mad:

I admit it isn't the greatest terminal, but I have never seen all that you have described. :eek:

Pat

I agree. I live here and the two cruises I've taken were quick and efficient. I'm a Canadian and we got off very quickly. HAL needs to let San Diego know it is serious about leaving. My daughters ex father in law is the port commisioner. I'll see if I can get any info.

We have done a lot of cruises out of San Francisco to Mexico on Princess, Celebrity primarily. Never had a problem, San Diego was one of our favorite ports.

Just did another one in September. We were very surprised at what a mess, i.e., everyone had to get off the Star Princess upon arrival in San Diego to go thru Customs. This never happened before in San Diego. Generally was handled on board and a walk thru in one of the threaters. It was very inconvenient for passengers, there were long lines to get back on the ship even several hours later. It did not matter if folks did not really want to get off the ship, they had too. That mean even folks with walkers or other mobility issues were forced to go thru this process.

So would not be suprised if HAL or other lines maybe unhappy with the process in San Deigo.

Would love to have HAL come to San Francisco.

San Francisco will have a new modern terminal some time in 2013.

We have loved sailing out of San Diego. Last time we sailed from there was prior to the new terminal being built. We've never had any problems except that it's a very busy port. I've always hated the way immigration is handled for us non-US citizens. Our last cruise, someone failed to report and we didn't start leaving the ship until quite late. We were staying over in SD another night, so we enjoyed hanging around the Pinnacle for a few more cups of coffee.

I have so wanted to go back to the Mexican Riviera but when I look at the ships being used, doesn't seem that it would be a enjoyable trip. Might just have to do Cabo or PV as a week long land vacation.

I don't know who thinks that the new Broadway Pier is too short. The fact is that it can easily accommodate a panamax vessel. Just a few weeks ago the Sapphire Princess was docked there. What happens with the HAL R and S class ships, is that the Coronado Ferry and SD harbor tour ships continue to board in front.

David

sd.jpg.957876f283c7e42eb852075f33ed322e.jpg

I don't know who thinks that the new Broadway Pier is too short. The fact is that it can easily accommodate a panamax vessel. Just a few weeks ago the Sapphire Princess was docked there. What happens with the HAL R and S class ships, is that the Coronado Ferry and SD harbor tour ships continue to board in front.

David

Yep you got it;), and that's why HAL ships like Statendam "stick" out beyond the end/knuckle of the dock there. It'd be nice if they could "park" the ferry, or at least the tour boats, elsewhere when the Broadway Pier is being used by a cruise ship

Yes, I understand Lisa that Hal can start discontinuing cruise out of SD anytime they want and what is written in their atlas is subject to change. I guess I would like to think they have as much gumption as Princess who is adding cruises on the west coast not discontinuing them.

It is sad to me that with over 20 cruise out of SD we have not encountered some of the issue others have complained about. Actually we have run into more problems embarking especially when there are 2 or 3 ships in port. I believe the worst we ever experienced was Vancouver a few years back.

What about Hal using Long Beach, it has a decent terminal that was rebuilt by Carnival from the old Spruce Goose's hanger?

I'm certainly glad to hear they are doing something about San Francisco. It is a horrible terminal and a pain in the behind to get to. Which I'm sure they are not making that aspect any better. It can be a pain down in SD when there are multiple ships in port but nothing compared to SF. I have been dropped off by taxi's a 1/2 mile from the terminal dragging luggage. Certainly doesn't put you in a good mood to start your cruise off.

Melodie, my guess is that CCL Corp is helping San Francisco build a new cruise terminal and that with CCL Corp assisting that is one of the reasons HAL may be eventually moving to San Francisco. It kind of makes sense. I suspect that HAL will not relocate any West Coast sailings till Fall of 2014.

Princess has just been too darn successful with filling their ships at top dollar with their sailings out of SF so HAL wants to copy Princess which thru the past 7 or 8 years they really have done a lot of that.;)

The Long Beach terminal looks nice but is very very small. There is only room for one ship and when Splendor is disembarking and doing check in it is actually far more crowded than San Diego. San Pedro while very industrial and not very scenic is actually very easy for passengers and ship crew. There is room for 4 ships, parking is easy and close.

Personally I still prefer San Diego for the ease of being able to fly there for us and grab a cabin and be at the pier in a matter of a few minutes. Just this weekend Tom and I talked about longing for the old days when we did many 7 day Oosterdam cruises and how we really missed those days and wish we had taken even more of them. We just did not realize how good we had it.:o

But I have seen the change and problems in San Diego over the years, one of the worst was 3 years ago when we did the Panama Canal on the Statendam. It was a Friday morning when we arrived bright and early shortly before 6am shortly after we arrived the Westerdam pulled in. This was first of May. We had a 12:45 flight on that bright and sunny day. We were not cleared to disembark till 11:15 in the morning all for the reasons mentioned. Fortunately we made our flight but barely. Many did not make their flight. Another fun time and not being able to get off the ship quickly was on the Oosterdam a year ago coming back from Hawaii. I want to say we were not cleared till after 9 in the morning and we only stopped in Ensenada. This past May was certainly no walk in the park with being able to check in early for our Zuiderdam cruise. It has just become increasingly worse. So there has to be some truth in what is being stated with the problems.

We have sailed out of SD twice, one went great, the other was horrible (Feb 2012). We were told by the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam (Feb 2012) about the suitcases going into the water around Christmas 2011, I believe. He did mention that HAL is looking to leave SD totally as a port for many reasons. I hate that thought too! It is a 2 hour drive for us. It makes no sense that in this economy that the Port of San Diego would chase away customers! The trickle down effect is huge for the stores, taxi's, hotels, etc. I just don't get it! I have never been employed anywhere that being rude and nasty to customers is allowed...why does this behavior continue:confused:

I don't know about American Stevadore Unions but the Canadian Stevadore Union in Vancouver carrys a might big stick & there is very little we can do about it. They aren't the nicest bunch of people to be unionized and you certainly don't want to tick them off.. :(

If HAL does move out of SD (and I hope it does not), hopefully, it won't go to Long Beach. We have gone out of there twice, once on the Amsterdam last year and once on a Carnival ship. It is not convenient for passengers at all - very small - very cramped - security is a nightmare as they try to pare down 4 lanes to two. And IMO there is not enough room for the check in counters. After that there is a narrow corridor to get to the stairs to go up and then a very long walk to the ship which for some is very difficult.

I am certainly surprised to read about the complaints. I have sailed out of SD 7 times and have only had one incident and that was with the pedicabs. Those guys were ruthless. I think sailing from SD has been easier than just about anywhere else I have departed from.

I found that the "painful" part of disembarkation is the long wait for the last non-US family to report to immigration before anyone can disembark. Once off the ship going through customs/immigration has been quick.

Yes, that has been my experience with disembarking in San Diego- we kept hearing repeated announcements for the non-US citizens to report to immigration. Apparently, they were called in their staterooms, then over the PA system for what seemed like hours. Ship could not be cleared until they showed up. And they were called by name...

If Customs/Immigration took place outside the ship, ie, the terminal, at least passengers could get off the ship.

I live in San Diego and the loss of cruises has hit hard. I would think San Diego would do all they could to keep the business here. However, the SD Port Authority wields the big guns, and they apparently haven't made wise choices.

San Francisco will have a state of the art cruise terminal in early 2014 at Pier 27. Getting to or from the airport is going to be a pain. The Bayshore Freeway is usually very congested, as is the Bay Bridge. Airport to Embarcadero or Montgomery St. Stations on BART will leave you nearly a mile away from the pier. Having sailed from SF a few years ago, traffic during debakation is going to be at a standstill, and catching a taxi, almost impossible. So, be prepared....arrive a day ahead.

David

Can somebody who knows how to contact the San Diego Union Tribune and the Port of San Diego and possibly the mayor (whoever that may be by Wednesday) forward this thread to them so that hopefully the newspaper can prod the port into improving the situation. I can't figure out how to do it. Obviously, I'm not computer savvy and don't even use Facebook but I love cruise critic! The city really needs to get on this. Even Captain Albert complained about his trip into San Diego on his repo from Alaska this year as they were working on the dock that he should have been assigned to. The port certainly has enough notice that the ships will be arriving at the end of the Alaska season....they should be ready!

We have sailed in and out of San Diego probably 15 times in the last 12 years. Love the fact that we can get there in no time and be on board before noon. Once we had to wait in line to board, and we had to wait out in the sun with no one from Holland America there to tell us what was going on, and that was kind of frustrating. The biggest frustration, however, is disembarkation when people absolutely refuse to report to Customs as required. It is beyond me why Holland America does not take responsibility to require these people to report. They know who they are. They have their cabin numbers. What possible reason would there be for the cruise line to not be able to figure this out and implement a system that would not cause the majority of passengers to miss flights, etc.

................ So there has to be some truth in what is being stated with the problems.

Oh I don't disagree that there are problems in SD but how many times have you gone out of SF? The drive alone from the Airport is horrendous, the traffic down by the terminal is a pain in the you know what, it can take an hour to get to the terminal once your down by the bay. All I can say if your unhappy with SD go to SF then you may appreciate SD.

I really don't care, I can easily get on a plane to go to SF in less than an hour but after that............:eek:

.....................is disembarkation when people absolutely refuse to report to Customs as required. It is beyond me why Holland America does not take responsibility to require these people to report. They know who they are. They have their cabin numbers. What possible reason would there be for the cruise line to not be able to figure this out and implement a system that would not cause the majority of passengers to miss flights, etc.

You are actually blaming the cruise line for misc. rocket scientists who, despite numerous reminders/directives/instructions in multiple writings/in person/via P/A announcements, etc, etc. still fail to show up at the required time and location on disembarkation morning to present themselves to CBP? How 'bout holding those knuckledraggers responsible for holding up the disembarkation process for everyone else?

Cabin #s are known, yes, and staff has gone/will go there when telephone calls and P/A announcements go unanswered only to find those same cabins empty because John & Jane Doe with or without the kids are elsewhere on the ship

You are actually blaming the cruise line for misc. rocket scientists who, despite numerous reminders/directives/instructions in multiple writings/in person/via P/A announcements, etc, etc. still fail to show up at the required time and location on disembarkation morning to present themselves to CBP? How 'bout holding those knuckledraggers responsible for holding up the disembarkation process for everyone else?

Cabin #s are known, yes, and staff has gone/will go there when telephone calls and P/A announcements go unanswered only to find those same cabins empty because John & Jane Doe with or without the kids are elsewhere on the ship

Well said! This happens because some people will never stop thinking that they are too important to follow those "reminders and directives". The rest of us can just wait. :(

If HAL moves to SF I would LOVE it!! For those who have been complaining about the drive from/to the airport: If you can roll or carry all your luggage, take BART! It is less than an hour from Embarcadero BART station to SFO BART station, with no change of train involved (if you board an SFO-bound train to begin with). Trains run about every 15-20 minutes.

Between the pier and Embarcadero BART station can easily be done by cab, but I would hazard a guess that once the new cruise pier opens up, some kind of shuttle service will operate between the two points on days when there's a ship in port.

Better still - don't go straight from the airport to the ship (or vice versa). Stay with us a few days! San Francisco is a fabulous city to visit, the hotel and restaurant options are plentiful, and it's easy to get around within the city on public transit.

Bonus for baseball lovers: If you're here during the season, we have a great stadium right on the waterfront - and the current World Champions as our home team! :D

If HAL moves to SF I would LOVE it!! For those who have been complaining about the drive from/to the airport: If you can roll or carry all your luggage, take BART! It is less than an hour from Embarcadero BART station to SFO BART station, with no change of train involved (if you board an SFO-bound train to begin with). Trains run about every 15-20 minutes.

Between the pier and Embarcadero BART station can easily be done by cab, but I would hazard a guess that once the new cruise pier opens up, some kind of shuttle service will operate between the two points on days when there's a ship in port.

Better still - don't go straight from the airport to the ship (or vice versa). Stay with us a few days! San Francisco is a fabulous city to visit, the hotel and restaurant options are plentiful, and it's easy to get around within the city on public transit.

Bonus for baseball lovers: If you're here during the season, we have a great stadium right on the waterfront - and the current World Champions as our home team! :D

We took BART from the airport to the BART station right at the turn around for the cable cars and Nordstrom...maybe we didn't get off at the right stop??? because there were NO elevators once we were ready to get up to street level...just lots and lots of steps!! We were lucky that a young woman helped my husband and I get up those steps with our suitcases!!! It was easy to catch BART at the airport..but the other end was a nightmare...can you suggest a better stop? LuAnn

Archived