Lanyard?

tfox1018

Last year on Ruby, Rome to Fort Lauderdale, Med/Greek Island/Transatlantic, 31 days, the CC mob was called 'Red Hot Rubys.' The Roll Call party was HUGE, around 300 odd pax.

Some kind person on the roll call produced and donated Red Hot Ruby lanyards to us all. Great, even the Captain and his senior staff who attended the M&G got one. LOL.

Made breaking the ice easy, you saw 'Red Hot Ruby lanyards everywhere on the ship for many days. Way to go.

They're are many more lanyards seen on the island for some reason. Guess it's the age of the people cruising but they're defitnely becomming more popular even though they do look neardy. :p

If you are going to describe someone as nerdy who simply wears a lanyard at least spell it right. As defined, a nerdy person is someone who is intellectual, socially impaired and spends time in undesireable pursuits.

I cannot say that I have ever met anyone on a cruise that falls into that definition. :D

If you are going to describe someone as nerdy who simply wears a lanyard at least spell it right. As defined, a nerdy person is someone who is intellectual, socially impaired and spends time in undesireable pursuits.

I cannot say that I have ever met anyone on a cruise that falls into that definition. :D

I believe the previous poster was intending to prove that they were uneducated and therefore not a NERD.

Spelling aside there are still lots of them these days and they still fit the typical description of a nerd. :p

The lanyard began as a length of rope with an attached hook. It has a military history. It was used for many purposes in the military. You can also think of that camera strap, used to attach to your wrist, as a lanyard. The lanyard has now evolved into a "necklace" of sorts.

When I was working, it seemed that I wore a lanyard forever. Frankly, I did not even know what it was called for many years. Typically, as some have mentioned, I too wore a lanyard with my company ID card attached. Usually my lanyard would contain a plastic holder where I could carry my ID card along with other critically important work-related cards. Besides the lanyards provided by my employer, I have seen various lanyards including those with "WWJD" and "Tommy Hilfiger" designs along the cord.

The lanyard is a very valuable tool. In the workplace, my employer required that my ID card should be visible at all times above the waist. When I cruise, wearing a lanyard with my cruise card attached is a real convenience. A status symbol? Well, not to me.

I see you are from California and wouldn't be surprised if you worked at one of the many aerospace companies. Your company rules sound Similar to mine. Not only does one have to display their ID to show who they are but also because of security level. It is used for access into many areas, including entry into the building in which I worked( very similar to the entry onto the ship). So the lanyard is indeed a useful tool. As a woman, the lanyard gave me the freedom to not wear a blouse with a pocket (necessary for clipping the ID) or carrying a purse. On the ship, most of my clothes do not having pockets. So label me whatever, but for me it is both practical and freeing.

• 1 month later...
I hear you ! ... you don't have to "wear" the lanyard,, you can put it thru a belt loop, or something like that..

I find it more secure and convenient to punch my Drivers License.. my Visa, and my Ship Card.. on a Lanyard.. and keep it in a pocket.. but "latched" to me somewhere ..

especially if you are off ship where the other 2 cards ,,I.D. and Visa.. may be required,, and in crowds.. or snorkel .. swim in to a bar, you can swap it to around your neck when "who cares you look like a tourist" ..

The lanyard makes it very easy to spot if you happen to drop it in the TAXI area.. and drive off.. :o

especially if the lanyard is bright red and white or something.

41ZKWI57DCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

phew glad you posted a picture of the Lanyard, as i couldnt figure out what it was! LOL Now i know what everyone is talking about

Archived