Lanyard?

tfox1018

I love wearing my lanyard and don't care if anyone thinks it looks stupid. I don't care if anyone sees my card color. Don't care if someone thinks I'm bragging about my card color (which I've read on other threads). I don't have pockets in most of my clothes and I don't want to carry a purse or some little bag that I have to keep track of. I'm on vacation and the less I have to keep track of the better it is for me. Before lanyards, we used to put a hole in our cards and use a safety pin to attach the cards to our clothing. I think a lanyard is a step up. LOL. So, yes, I'm a lanyard nerd.....but life is good and I'm on a cruise.

Hear, hear..... I agree, I wear my lanyard with pride!

The Australian Cruisers are big on lanyard wearing. First thing on board, get down to the Purser's counter and get that 'free hole' punched in it. Then whack it on the lanyard. You know where it is and cannot lose it.

Saying that, on our recent P&O UK 'Arcadia cruise, Sydney to Southampton, whilst most of the 400 Aussies on board wore their cruise card and lanyard, very, very few of the 1600 Brits on board did, not really the Brit thing. In fact I was walking along the promenade deck one day with my cruise card/lanyard blowing merrily in the breeze, when a bloke passed me with his wife, turned and said in a stiff posh voice 'Oh,look at that darling, he must be an ORSTRALIAN, wearing a postcard around his neck.' It is obvious that some of the 'upper class' Brits on board resented the Aussies and their lanyards, with postcards (cruise cards) around their necks. LOL.

Now our next cruise is on Celebrity Solstice, first timers, do Celebrity pax wear their cruise card on a lanyard?

Haha Les.....since when have you worried what the Poms thought? Usually you like to stir!

We have a few Pommy friends that we have converted to wearing the lanyard... I even had to send them some Aussie ones so they could wear them on the next cruise...... hey, maybe they wanted to pretend they were Orzzies?

We have a few Pommy friends that we have converted to wearing the lanyard... I even had to send them some Aussie ones so they could wear them on the next cruise...... hey, maybe they wanted to pretend they were Orzzies?

G'day Eileen.

In your dreams, although we did wear them on our Celebrity Cruise.

Jim

G'day Eileen.

In your dreams, although we did wear them on our Celebrity Cruise.

Jim

Hahahaha..... hello Jim, miss you guys, when can we cruise again together..... maybe 2014? We are planning on the circ of the UK!

The Australian Cruisers are big on lanyard wearing. First thing on board, get down to the Purser's counter and get that 'free hole' punched in it. Then whack it on the lanyard. You know where it is and cannot lose it.

Saying that, on our recent P&O UK 'Arcadia cruise, Sydney to Southampton, whilst most of the 400 Aussies on board wore their cruise card and lanyard, very, very few of the 1600 Brits on board did, not really the Brit thing. In fact I was walking along the promenade deck one day with my cruise card/lanyard blowing merrily in the breeze, when a bloke passed me with his wife, turned and said in a stiff posh voice 'Oh,look at that darling, he must be an ORSTRALIAN, wearing a postcard around his neck.' It is obvious that some of the 'upper class' Brits on board resented the Aussies and their lanyards, with postcards (cruise cards) around their necks. LOL.

Now our next cruise is on Celebrity Solstice, first timers, do Celebrity pax wear their cruise card on a lanyard?

I wore a lanyard on Celebrity and saw others doing it as well. I even came away with a Celebrity lanyard as a souvenier. I think you'll be OK.

I can't believe wearing a lanyard evokes such strong emotions and even a cultural undertone(Brits vs. Aussies, nerds vs. jocks)!

Maybe Princess could hold a lanyard making class just like the ones made at summer camp.

I'll have to wear one on our next cruise in support of my DH wearing his lanyard attire ;)

I've never used a lanyard and don't plan to. Years ago, I found a very small leather case that had a very long strap that I use as cross-body strap. Last Spring, I needlepointed a canvas that I had made into a purse just the right size for my Kindle with a credit card-sized pocket. I'm getting an iPad Mini so I might have to have it re-made, or make another one. :) It has a removable strap so I can use it as a clutch.

[ATTACH]251812[/ATTACH]

Pam - You are clearly awesome! I love your little bag. Hope to meet you sometime.

--Note - this is not to say I am anti-lanyard. On our many Disney trips and cruises they came in very handy, and were given out for free to repeat cruisers, therefore signifying status to those who noticed such things.

I love wearing my lanyard and don't care if anyone thinks it looks stupid. I don't care if anyone sees my card color. Don't care if someone thinks I'm bragging about my card color (which I've read on other threads). I don't have pockets in most of my clothes and I don't want to carry a purse or some little bag that I have to keep track of. I'm on vacation and the less I have to keep track of the better it is for me. Before lanyards, we used to put a hole in our cards and use a safety pin to attach the cards to our clothing. I think a lanyard is a step up. LOL. So, yes, I'm a lanyard nerd.....but life is good and I'm on a cruise.

Have to agree with you.

I don't have pockets in most of the stuff I wear on my cruises and I would definitely lose my card otherwise. Most of the time my lanyard / card goes under my t-shirt, so its hardly noticeable.

One of the best things for me on a cruise is not to have to carry anything around the ship with me everyday, so the lanyard is a must IMHO.:)

I've never used a lanyard and don't plan to. Years ago, I found a very small leather case that had a very long strap that I use as cross-body strap. Last Spring, I needlepointed a canvas that I had made into a purse just the right size for my Kindle with a credit card-sized pocket. I'm getting an iPad Mini so I might have to have it re-made, or make another one. :) It has a removable strap so I can use it as a clutch.

So its a body lanyard? :D

Pam - You are clearly awesome! I love your little bag. Hope to meet you sometime.

--Note - this is not to say I am anti-lanyard. On our many Disney trips and cruises they came in very handy, and were given out for free to repeat cruisers, therefore signifying status to those who noticed such things.

I noticed that the people wearing lanyards on my recent Ruby Princess cruise had platinum cards. I assumed they liked to show them off. Maybe I will too if I ever get to that level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The lanyard began as a length of rope with an attached hook. It has a military history. It was used for many purposes in the military. You can also think of that camera strap, used to attach to your wrist, as a lanyard. The lanyard has now evolved into a "necklace" of sorts.

When I was working, it seemed that I wore a lanyard forever. Frankly, I did not even know what it was called for many years. Typically, as some have mentioned, I too wore a lanyard with my company ID card attached. Usually my lanyard would contain a plastic holder where I could carry my ID card along with other critically important work-related cards. Besides the lanyards provided by my employer, I have seen various lanyards including those with "WWJD" and "Tommy Hilfiger" designs along the cord.

The lanyard is a very valuable tool. In the workplace, my employer required that my ID card should be visible at all times above the waist. When I cruise, wearing a lanyard with my cruise card attached is a real convenience. A status symbol? Well, not to me.

Our roll call on the Diamond last year had lanyards specially printed and sold them for the cost $5 each. It was a wonderful memento of our trip and all the crew were lusting after them too (some got them as gifts).

For our cruise on the Diamond next year I have ordered lanyards again for everyone but in a different colour - black.

Haha Les.....since when have you worried what the Poms thought? Usually you like to stir!

We have a few Pommy friends that we have converted to wearing the lanyard... I even had to send them some Aussie ones so they could wear them on the next cruise...... hey' date=' maybe they wanted to pretend they were Orzzies?[/quote']

Hi Eileen, indeed I am a stirrer, maybe even half mad, must be all that red wine and salt air on the cruises! Now I have to remember to pack my Orstralian attire, K Mart thongs (sorry flip flops), stubbies (shorts) Bonds Blue singlet and terry towelling hat, just to complement the lanyard and cruise card.

God help me if there are any Poms on board Celebrity Solstice, come 4 March, they will report me to the Fashion Police on board LOL. Thank God the Americans are ok with lanyards, I get on well with most of our American friends on the ships.

Do not be alarmed nor throw me off this section, I am just 'road testing' or is it 'taste testing'? on Celebrity, I shall be back on Princess in March 2014, as per my signature, then I can wear my Black Princess lanyard with ye olde Elite Black Card again, heh, heh.

(Thanks also to others for their friendly banter and comments.)

Hi Eileen, indeed I am a stirrer, maybe even half mad, must be all that red wine and salt air on the cruises! Now I have to remember to pack my Orstralian attire, K Mart thongs (sorry flip flops), stubbies (shorts) Bonds Blue singlet and terry towelling hat, just to complement the lanyard and cruise card.

God help me if there are any Poms on board Celebrity Solstice, come 4 March, they will report me to the Fashion Police on board LOL. Thank God the Americans are ok with lanyards, I get on well with most of our American friends on the ships.

Do not be alarmed nor throw me off this section, I am just 'road testing' or is it 'taste testing'? on Celebrity, I shall be back on Princess in March 2014, as per my signature, then I can wear my Black Princess lanyard with ye olde Elite Black Card again, heh, heh.

(Thanks also to others for their friendly banter and comments.)

You're a dag Les! LOL

Try wearing your cruise card at work then.

Maybe nobody will notice the lack of a work ID.

Problem is I work for the security department at my facility we make the ID Badges and enforce the wearing of such badges on lanyards above the waist and visible!

Now my Coworkers already hate the fact that I have to enforce our ID Badge policy almost as much as they hate the fact that I cruise twice a year.

Yep it would go over real big if i walked in with a cruise card around my neck ! Hey on second thought!:D:D:D:D

Problem is I work for the security department at my facility we make the ID Badges and enforce the wearing of such badges on lanyards above the waist and visible!

Now my Coworkers already hate the fact that I have to enforce our ID Badge policy almost as much as they hate the fact that I cruise twice a year.

Yep it would go over real big if i walked in with a cruise card around my neck ! Hey on second thought!:D:D:D:D

That sounds very familiar. After years of wearing a lanyard at work, wearing one on a cruise seems natural. The ones on the cruise look way more :cool: .

Archived