Mdr

nursewurmy

The MDR staff serving the table printed on your sepass card know you have been assigned that table. If you do not show up to eat in the MDR for at least 1 night, as wonderfully explained by Patti (thank you, by the way), it's known and the tips distributed accordingly. It's not a matter of showing your ard to anyone: they know what cabin number and the number of passengers assigned to each table.

If you are at a table for 6,8, etc., and 2 do not show how do the waiters know who? I understand that if everyone orders drinks they would know but not everyone orders drinks.

If you are at a table for 6,8, etc., and 2 do not show how do the waiters know who? I understand that if everyone orders drinks they would know but not everyone orders drinks.

If you are at a table for 8, and there are 4 couples, there would be 4 specific cabin numbers assigned to that particular table. If a particular couple does not show up for the first several nights, a call to the missing cabin will be placed. Each waitstaff for a particular table knows exactly who is supposed to show up.

If you sign up for Traditional Dining, but then decide to never eat in the MDR, as a courtesy to the MDR staff, it's always a good idea to call and let them know that you are releasing your seats at a particular table so that they call fill those seats with folks that are on a wait list.

When doing MTD, when you enter the area, and are waiting to be seated, the first thing that the MTD Manager will ask for is your cabin number.

When making a reservation for a Specialty Restaurant, they ask for your cabin number and not your name.

Thanks-that's what I've been thinking. I am aware that they know what room numbers are assigned to what table. But how do they figure out which room number is missing if they don't ask? In order to figure out who is not at the table the rest of us would have to be asked for our cabin numbers so the wait staff can figure out who's missing. I always sit at a large table where not everyone shows up and have never been asked my cabin number when doing traditional dining in the MDR.

Sorry to be so dense but just not understanding this at all.

When you have Traditional Seating you are assigned a table that is linked to your SeaPass Card as well as your stateroom number. When you eat in MTD, the same rule applies. If you don't show up after a certain number of days......you will get a call in your stateroom.

If you have MTD and decided to eat in one of the Specialty Restaurants, MTD Staff will know where you are and when because your reservation was made using your stateroom number which is associated with your SeaPass Card.

They also know who has been quarantined and who has not. Stateroom Numbers contain more information than you realize.

I don't think you quite understand what I have posted above.:o So I will try to break it down.

If you have not signed up for prepaid gratuities and you personally give your gratuities to your wait staff/cabin attendant at the end of the cruise in an envelope........then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and eat at least "1" meal in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then that money is distributed to the wait staff in the appropriate dining venue and the amount given goes according to their position of that individual in the form of a check every 2 weeks. (Suggested Amounts are $3.75pp per day for Waiter, $2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter and $0.75pp per day for Head Waiter). The ship has its own payroll system. If you decide to give extra to any of your waitstaff or cabin attendant, then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and do not eat any meals in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then those gratuities are redirected and distributed to those folks that work in the WJ for dinner as well as Specialty Restaurant staff.

So if I pay the suggested ammount in cash to my wait staff, they get to keep all that money. But if I pre pay, my wait staff the suggested ammount, the staff splits the tips with others.

Thanks-that's what I've been thinking. I am aware that they know what room numbers are assigned to what table. But how do they figure out which room number is missing if they don't ask? In order to figure out who is not at the table the rest of us would have to be asked for our cabin numbers so the wait staff can figure out who's missing. I always sit at a large table where not everyone shows up and have never been asked my cabin number when doing traditional dining in the MDR.

You are not being dense. I was thinking the same thing.

If you are at a table for 8, and there are 4 couples, there would be 4 specific cabin numbers assigned to that particular table. If a particular couple does not show up for the first several nights, a call to the missing cabin will be placed. Each waitstaff for a particular table knows exactly who is supposed to show up.

If you sign up for Traditional Dining, but then decide to never eat in the MDR, as a courtesy to the MDR staff, it's always a good idea to call and let them know that you are releasing your seats at a particular table so that they call fill those seats with folks that are on a wait list.

When doing MTD, when you enter the area, and are waiting to be seated, the first thing that the MTD Manager will ask for is your cabin number.

When making a reservation for a Specialty Restaurant, they ask for your cabin number and not your name.

At large tables it may not always be couples.

When we first started cruising we were not aware of calling the MDR to let them know we would not be there. We have never received a call asking where we were.

I always have been asked my name by a waiter. Your picture is also listed with your room number on the computer. It's pretty easy for them to know which people from which rooms are showing up in the dining room. They don't even need to ask you your name.

If I would not eat in the MDR I would not be tipping in the MDR, I would tip in the venues that I use.

At home I don't walk in at Olive Garden and tip them but then go to eat at TGIFridays.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have read and understood, the tips are pooled. If you do not leave a tip in the MDR, the staff member has to make up the difference (as it is assumed you paid them a cash tip). There have been a few threads about this on this forum. I have seen "my" MDR staff in the windjammer during lunch time (I ususally eat breakfast MDR, so I can't say they're up there at breakfast with any certainty). I know that my tip is covering the service they provide me up there also. The point is that you are eating somewhere on the ship where service is being provided, not always the specific venue (but with the explosion of venues where you are charged, I can see how some people get confused) Some lines automatically add the charges on your bill at the end of the cruise. I don't understand why they just don't build the cost of service into the cruise fare myself.

From what I have read and understood, the tips are pooled. If you do not leave a tip in the MDR, the staff member has to make up the difference (as it is assumed you paid them a cash tip). There have been a few threads about this on this forum. I have seen "my" MDR staff in the windjammer during lunch time (I ususally eat breakfast MDR, so I can't say they're up there at breakfast with any certainty). I know that my tip is covering the service they provide me up there also. The point is that you are eating somewhere on the ship where service is being provided, not always the specific venue (but with the explosion of venues where you are charged, I can see how some people get confused) Some lines automatically add the charges on your bill at the end of the cruise. I don't understand why they just don't build the cost of service into the cruise fare myself.

"If you do not leave a tip in the MDR, the staff member has to make up the difference (as it is assumed you paid them a cash tip)."

That's a new one..... And no, I don't believe it.

"If you do not leave a tip in the MDR, the staff member has to make up the difference (as it is assumed you paid them a cash tip)."

That's a new one..... And no, I don't believe it.

The person who posted that is referencing a post on a DIFFERENT forum. Not Royal Caribbean.

:)

Patti.

Thank you for sharing, another person who completly understands

Wow, are some folks not having a good Monday....

You're welcome. I mean this isn't Rocket Science!:D

Let one of these folks get quarantined to their cabin and then try to sneak out to dinner. :eek:

Are you lot really serious about this tipping lark?

We prepay gratuities and pass vouchers to the relevant staff, it's then down to the cruise line to distribute the real money to the staff as their rules dictate, the staff just have to put up with it.

My real issue that I have recently heard is that RCI are no longer issuing vouchers and envelopes to pass out on the last night so how will they know if you've pre-paid or are just being mean?

We prepay gratuities and pass vouchers to the relevant staff, it's then down to the cruise line to distribute the real money to the staff as their rules dictate, the staff just have to put up with it.

My real issue that I have recently heard is that RCI are no longer issuing vouchers and envelopes to pass out on the last night so how will they know if you've pre-paid or are just being mean?

The staff get a list of pre-payers.

:)

So if I pay the suggested ammount in cash to my wait staff, they get to keep all that money. But if I pre pay, my wait staff the suggested ammount, the staff splits the tips with others.

When not doing pre-paid gratuities, anything that you enclose in the envelope is for that person and that person alone. There is no sharing.

However, if you have Pre-paid your gratuities then those monies go into a payroll account and are divided out amongst those that have served you at the recommended gratuity amount for the number of nights you have cruised. If you chose to give something extra on the last night, that is theirs to keep.

Towards the end of the cruise both the MDR staff (be it Traditional Seatings or MTD) plus the stateroom attendants will get, as Carol has already mentioned, a printout of those folks who have prepaid. They wait until this time because some folks have prepaid prior to boarding and some may chose to use up OBC and put it on the SeaPass Account.

Vouchers are no longer being given out. You can request envelopes from GS if you would like to add something extra because of outstanding service.

When not doing pre-paid gratuities, anything that you enclose in the envelope is for that person and that person alone. There is no sharing.

However, if you have Pre-paid your gratuities then those monies go into a payroll account and are divided out amongst those that have served you at the recommended gratuity amount for the number of nights you have cruised. If you chose to give something extra on the last night, that is theirs to keep.

Sounds like your wait staff has figured out a way to make you pay gratuities above what is recommended.

I always pay cash in the amount recommended by the cruise line unless my gratuities were paid by the travel agent as part of a "deal".

Over and over on this website I have heard people say that the wait staff doesn't care if you pay cash or pre pay.

There is no way the staff would say that if they got to keep cash and had to pool pre paid on paper.

And they usually say they don’t care. cash or on the books, all the same to them.

Unless the TA paid my gratuities, I would never pay anything but cash to any individual.

I always suspected that the cruise line took away money that I meant to go for some individual. Sounds like I was right.

What do you need a voucher for? Post 61 answers it all. They already know everything you paid or reserved or are doing. It's on their PC. They know who you are , what you spend, and where you are eating .

[/font][/color]

1. Sounds like your wait staff has figured out a way to make you pay gratuities above what is recommended.

2. I always suspected that the cruise line took away money that I meant to go for some individual. Sounds like I was right.

1. How?

2. Nope, you are completely wrong.

Here is the breakdown of recommended gratuity amounts and these amounts are what is given to the staff that servers you when you pre-pay or if you decide to hand it to them individually....

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

$11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

Now let's take a 7 day cruise in a JS or lower cabin category as an example. $11.65pp would total to $81.55pp per week. Broken down it would be........

Stateroom Attendant will get $35.00pp

Waiter will get $26.25pp

Assist. Waiter will get $15.05pp

Head Waiter will get 5.25pp

And that is your business why? That is determined by us.

My Lord, get the chip off your shoulder and don't be so evil. The OP appeared to only want a range or recommended amount to tip. No one is interested in your personal business. Relax.:confused:

Archived