Mdr

nursewurmy

With so many seasoned cruisers here, it's easy to understand how passionate some can be about the inner workings of the, "system."

So it's understandable that they act accordingly. I however, tip according the service I receive without personal knowledge, (other than internet) of the pay system.

That being said, we had a lunch tab the other day of $46 and the hubby left $20 for the waitstaff. It was just an enjoyable time and we both thought she was deserving. We are good tippers, that's not the problem. But a tip is still a tip. When it becomes a service charge, then we will pay that, and likely still "tip" for good service.

Just an FYI...........for those folks that prepay their gratuities but never eat in the MDR either at Traditional Seating Times or MTD, those gratuities are redirected to the WJ and Specialty Restaurant pool. You must eat "1" dinner in the MDR for those prepaid gratuities to stay and be distributed to the Wait Staff that is working in the MDR for your cruise.

Before you ask how do I know this...........I asked on 3 different ships and was given the same explanation on each.:D

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering how in the world the staff know where you eat?? When I walk into the MDR I don't show my card and for someone on staff to have to try and track where every single passenger eats sounds like a whole lot of work to me and not something that would be done. It's always been my understanding that auto tips are pooled and shared. Don't have any proof of that though.

It's an interesting concept but I just can't get my mind around how they can possibly know where we eat. Except for the speciality restuarants which is charged to your account.

Who says the tip I give the waiter gets divided up with some other person on the staff?

I’m not surprised that someone on the wait staff would like you to believe that, but it just doesn’t make sense.

If the MDR tips are all shared, then why are there different suggested tips for the three people on a wait staff team?

If I thought my extra tips to a certain waiter or a headwaiter for great service, were going to be diluted by sharing with some unseen employee, I would be less likely to tip extra.

What would happen if I gave a waiter, bartender or my cabin attendant an extra $50 in cash for his good service?

Are you telling me that you think that $50 in cash is going to be turned over to some pool?

That sounds like a situation for fights over who might be holding back extra cash tips.

It seems totally unworkable.

And again….

Before you start on me.

I eat in the MDR and I always pay the suggested amount.

If RC would just get with the times and put a hotel service charge in place so you don't have to worry about it there would be no issue. The "old way" that they do it seems to be a bit antiquated to me. Take care of the tips for me through the service charge and then if I want to give extra that is up to me.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering how in the world the staff know where you eat?? When I walk into the MDR I don't show my card and for someone on staff to have to try and track where every single passenger eats sounds like a whole lot of work to me and not something that would be done. It's always been my understanding that auto tips are pooled and shared. Don't have any proof of that though.

It's an interesting concept but I just can't get my mind around how they can possibly know where we eat. Except for the speciality restuarants which is charged to your account.

When you have Traditional Seating you are assigned a table that is linked to your SeaPass Card as well as your stateroom number. When you eat in MTD, the same rule applies. If you don't show up after a certain number of days......you will get a call in your stateroom.

If you have MTD and decided to eat in one of the Specialty Restaurants, MTD Staff will know where you are and when because your reservation was made using your stateroom number which is associated with your SeaPass Card.

They also know who has been quarantined and who has not. Stateroom Numbers contain more information than you realize.

Who says the tip I give the waiter gets divided up with some other person on the staff?

I’m not surprised that someone on the wait staff would like you to believe that, but it just doesn’t make sense.

If the MDR tips are all shared, then why are there different suggested tips for the three people on a wait staff team?

If I thought my extra tips to a certain waiter or a headwaiter for great service, were going to be diluted by sharing with some unseen employee, I would be less likely to tip extra.

What would happen if I gave a waiter, bartender or my cabin attendant an extra $50 in cash for his good service?

Are you telling me that you think that $50 in cash is going to be turned over to some pool?

That sounds like a situation for fights over who might be holding back extra cash tips.

It seems totally unworkable.

And again….

Before you start on me.

I eat in the MDR and I always pay the suggested amount.

I don't think you quite understand what I have posted above.:o So I will try to break it down.

If you have not signed up for prepaid gratuities and you personally give your gratuities to your wait staff/cabin attendant at the end of the cruise in an envelope........then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and eat at least "1" meal in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then that money is distributed to the wait staff in the appropriate dining venue and the amount given goes according to their position of that individual in the form of a check every 2 weeks. (Suggested Amounts are $3.75pp per day for Waiter, $2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter and $0.75pp per day for Head Waiter). The ship has its own payroll system. If you decide to give extra to any of your waitstaff or cabin attendant, then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and do not eat any meals in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then those gratuities are redirected and distributed to those folks that work in the WJ for dinner as well as Specialty Restaurant staff.

NO matter where I chose to eat, if I can afford to cruise, I can afford to tip for great service no matter who, what or when that service is given.

Having said that, I never give additional dollars for tips, except for service beyond the norm.

When you have Traditional Seating you are assigned a table that is linked to your SeaPass Card as well as your stateroom number. When you eat in MTD, the same rule applies. If you don't show up after a certain number of days......you will get a call in your stateroom.

If you have MTD and decided to eat in one of the Specialty Restaurants, MTD Staff will know where you are and when because your reservation was made using your stateroom number which is associated with your SeaPass Card.

They also know who has been quarantined and who has not. Stateroom Numbers contain more information than you realize.

I don't think you quite understand what I have posted above.:o So I will try to break it down.

If you have not signed up for prepaid gratuities and you personally give your gratuities to your wait staff/cabin attendant at the end of the cruise in an envelope........then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and eat at least "1" meal in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then that money is distributed to the wait staff in the appropriate dining venue and the amount given goes according to their position of that individual in the form of a check every 2 weeks. (Suggested Amounts are $3.75pp per day for Waiter, $2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter and $0.75pp per day for Head Waiter). The ship has its own payroll system. If you decide to give extra to any of your waitstaff or cabin attendant, then that is theirs to keep.

If you pre-pay your gratuities and do not eat any meals in the MDR whether it is traditional or MTD, then those gratuities are redirected and distributed to those folks that work in the WJ for dinner as well as Specialty Restaurant staff.

Where did you get this informantin?

On our last cruise we had our 7 month old with us, so we literally at every meal either room service, WJ, or specialty restaurant (thanks to the nursery option). We did not do prepaid tips......I know shun me now.

Instead we made sure to tip in cash for RS and WJ every time.

QUESTION: if you do MTD (which we do not) and pre-pay gratuities, does that cover you cabin attendant?

Never thought about it until reading this thread.

(We have never pre-paided but rather fill out the form on board and have it included in our sea pass bill).

QUESTION: if you do MTD (which we do not) and pre-pay gratuities, does that cover you cabin attendant?

(We have never pre-paided but rather fill out the form on board and have it included in our sea pass bill).

Yes, your pre-paid gratuities, no mater if you pay prior to boarding or once on board, include Stateroom Attendant, Head Waiter, Waiter and Assistant Waiter.

Yes pre-paid is just like arranging to have it deducted/paid onboard, and it always includes the cabin steward.

Interesting that you inquired about disbursement, (cruisenfever) but it is not something that we give any further thought to. As far as we are concerned, once the tips are pre-paid, Royal Caribbean may distribute them in accordance with whatever their policy is. :)

It is sort of like the never ending debate on tipping bartenders in cash vs. adding additional to the bar slip. It all works out one way or another.

Just an FYI...........for those folks that prepay their gratuities but never eat in the MDR either at Traditional Seating Times or MTD, those gratuities are redirected to the WJ and Specialty Restaurant pool. You must eat "1" dinner in the MDR for those prepaid gratuities to stay and be distributed to the Wait Staff that is working in the MDR for your cruise.

Before you ask how do I know this...........I asked on 3 different ships and was given the same explanation on each.:D

I have no idea what the motive would be for telling you this.....but unless we order a beverage and have to use our Seapass Card, there is no way the wait staff will know we ever stepped foot in the MDR.

We just got off 14 night TA cruise. Never ate dinner in MDR. Prepaid our tips. Got room service 80% of the time. Had OS so had MDR menus delivered every day.

Dawn

Interesting that you inquired about disbursement, (cruisenfever) but it is not something that we give any further thought to. As far as we are concerned, once the tips are pre-paid, Royal Caribbean may distribute them in accordance with whatever their policy is. :)

It is sort of like the never ending debate on tipping bartenders in cash vs. adding additional to the bar slip. It all works out one way or another.

Yes Patti, I asked because of all the miss-information that has been posted on these boards over the last couple of years when it comes to gratuities. I thought it was time people actually knew what the policy was.

The information was "offered to me" on Radiance by the WJ Manager, the MTD Manager and the Maitre 'd when we were discussing Cruise Critic!!

Yes Patti, I asked because of all the miss-information that has been posted on these boards over the last couple of years when it comes to gratuities. I thought it was time people actually knew what the policy was.

The information was "offered to me" on Radiance by the WJ Manager, the MTD Manager and the Maitre 'd when we were discussing Cruise Critic!!

Thanks Patti. Posting the correct information is always important. I wasn't being critical at all. Just saying that in my opinion...the distribution is up to the cruise line.

Tipping is a personal matter, and we are comfortable with ours being pre-paid. It is actually sort of liberating...we can eat wherever we choose! :D:):D

Blimey !!!! A bit aggressive these posts aren't they !!!!!!

You have only been on Cruise Critic for a few short months.

This is an old, worn-out topic, and when it gets posted again, the SAME characters come out of the woodwork to offer their SAME posts as the last three dozen times.

That is what you are reading.

Now that is interesting. Here is a hypothetical question- let's say you eat only one dinner in the MDR, does that mean that none of the gratuities find their way to WJ or specialty restaurants, that all the money is pooled just by MDR staff?

I have no idea what the motive would be for telling you this.....but unless we order a beverage and have to use our Seapass Card,there is no way the wait staff will know we ever stepped foot in the MDR.

We just got off 14 night TA cruise. Never ate dinner in MDR. Prepaid our tips. Got room service 80% of the time. Had OS so had MDR menus delivered every day.

Dawn

If you sign up for Traditional Dining you are "assigned" a table that is printed on your SeaPass Card. So yes, the Dining Room staff will know if you have eaten any meal in the MDR. This applies to MTD as well even though your are not assigned a specific table, your SeaPass Card will say MY Time on it next to Seating.

You were booked in an Owner's Suite which makes a difference. If you had been booked in a JS cabin or below, you would have gotten a call.

Now that is interesting. Here is a hypothetical question- let's say you eat only one dinner in the MDR, does that mean that none of the gratuities find their way to WJ or specialty restaurants, that all the money is pooled just by MDR staff?

If you prepay your gratuities and eat 1 meal in the MDR then your gratuities remain with the MDR wait staff.

The folks that work dinner in the WJ are Assistant Waiters that must do a 1-2 week rotation every so many cruises.

If you sign up for Traditional Dining you are "assigned" a table that is printed on your SeaPass Card. So yes, the Dining Room staff will know if you have eaten any meal in the MDR. This applies to MTD as well even though your are not assigned a specific table, your SeaPass Card will say MY Time on it next to Seating.

You were booked in an Owner's Suite which makes a difference. If you had been booked in a JS cabin or below, you would have gotten a call.

If you prepay your gratuities and eat 1 meal in the MDR then your gratuities remain with the MDR wait staff.

The folks that work dinner in the WJ are Assistant Waiters that must do a 1-2 week rotation every so many cruises.

I've frequently seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter working in the WJ at lunch and breakfast. They make a point to come over to speak to us.

And I know my MDR table assignment is on my seapass card but still don't see how they know if I'm in the MDR or not. The card is not shown when I walk in, only if I purchase alcohol etc. So I'm just still confused as to how the staff know where I eat. With the exception of speciality restuarants when I pay with my card. It would make more sense to me that tips are pooled and shared by your wait staff.

Just sayin'.:)

I've frequently seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter working in the WJ at lunch and breakfast. They make a point to come over to speak to us.

And I know my MDR table assignment is on my seapass card but still don't see how they know if I'm in the MDR or not. The card is not shown when I walk in, only if I purchase alcohol etc. So I'm just still confused as to how the staff know where I eat. With the exception of speciality restuarants when I pay with my card. It would make more sense to me that tips are pooled and shared by your wait staff.

Just sayin'.:)

The MDR staff serving the table printed on your sepass card know you have been assigned that table. If you do not show up to eat in the MDR for at least 1 night, as wonderfully explained by Patti (thank you, by the way), it's known and the tips distributed accordingly. It's not a matter of showing your ard to anyone: they know what cabin number and the number of passengers assigned to each table.

The MDR staff serving the table printed on your sepass card know you have been assigned that table. If you do not show up to eat in the MDR for at least 1 night, as wonderfully explained by Patti (thank you, by the way), it's known and the tips distributed accordingly. It's not a matter of showing your ard to anyone: they know what cabin number and the number of passengers assigned to each table.

Peggy, you are MY HERO!!!!:D Thanks for understanding.

I remember when we wanted to change a table, going to the MDR on embarkation day and seeing that HUGE schematic of the MDR with all tables and "cabin numbers" at each table.:p

Archived