Mdr

nursewurmy

If I only ate in specialty and Windjammer, then that's where I tip.

Agree!! We often give up our seats in the MDR when we board because we know we will not be eating there...when we eat in the WJ we make it a point to sit in the same area each evening & tip the server who is working that section...since they do not earn tips when they are on WJ rotation for dinner they are usually very surprised to receive our tips...

How is the amount that someone tips any of someone else's business?

People are always asking tipping questions...

How much do I tip room service?

How much do I tip the porters?

How much do I tip the concierge?

How much of an extra tip should I leave in the specialty restaurant?

There is a recommended daily tip amount which covers the three basic meals. I'm curious if that is the amount people usually tip. Why all the anger?

People are always asking tipping questions...

How much do I tip room service?

How much do I tip the porters?

How much do I tip the concierge?

How much of an extra tip should I leave in the specialty restaurant?

There is a recommended daily tip amount which covers the three basic meals. I'm curious if that is the amount people usually tip. Why all the anger?

If you want recommendations about how much you should tip just ask.;)

Yes....your tips to the dining room staff cover ALL of your meals and snacks EVERYWHERE on the ship. Even if you NEVER set foot in the dining room, you will eat breakfast and lunch somewhere....those tips are divided among all who serve you.

If you pay the "suggested" tip amount, you have done your duty. No additional tips to the waitstaff are required.

The exception is for room service...the delivery folks are KITCHEN staff, and a few bucks is the expected thing to do...they do not share in the tips that you pay for your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't. waiter and head waiter. The fee for the "specialty restaurants" include the tip.

Yes....your tips to the dining room staff cover ALL of your meals and snacks EVERYWHERE on the ship. Even if you NEVER set foot in the dining room, you will eat breakfast and lunch somewhere....those tips are divided among all who serve you.

If you pay the "suggested" tip amount, you have done your duty. No additional tips to the waitstaff are required.

The exception is for room service...the delivery folks are KITCHEN staff, and a few bucks is the expected thing to do...they do not share in the tips that you pay for your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't. waiter and head waiter. The fee for the "specialty restaurants" include the tip.

Agreed. This is how we feel too. Never stepped foot in MDR for dinner or breakfast, and maybe 3 times for lunch.

Prepaid tips LONG before we cruised. Would not think of removing tips.

If you never eat in the MDR and you tell the head waiter that you don’t plan on ever eating in the MDR, then I don’t see why the MDR staff deserve any tip from you.

If you eat all of your meals at Chops, you don’t need to tip as the tip is paid out of the charge.

They say, no tipping required.

If you eat at the WJ, you can give the help a tip. But keep in mind the service the WJ folks provide is much less than the service provided by the MDR staff.

What do I do?

I eat in the MDR and pay the recommended amount.

Unless you visit the MDR and have your name removed (you can actually contact he cruise line prior to sailing to do this) you are taking up a seat and someone is depending upon your tips as part of their earnings. Whenever I see the , no tipping required, I evaluate my service and I then tip accordingly. To me that is like diing out and having 18% added to my bill but having an absolutely fantastic wait staff. I would leave something extra for them. This is just MHO...worked as waitress long, long ago during college summers and still remember those many times I had nothing or even a few quarters left after a 2 hr meal...sure didn't help with paying my rent! Glad those days are way behind me but the memory makes me a very good tipper now that I am the one dining out!

If I would not eat in the MDR I would not be tipping in the MDR, I would tip in the venues that I use.

At home I don't walk in at Olive Garden and tip them but then go to eat at TGIFridays.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We request MTD and never eat in the MDR. Tips are prepaid. On a 14 night cruise, I happened to look at the menu in one of the lounges and saw that they had onion soup and shrimp cocktails on the menu.

I decided to visit the MDR for these 2 items that I enjoy. Remember...we have MTD. It seemed to create quite a bit of confusion. I presented myself at the MTD podium.

"Have you been here before?"

"No"

"And you would like to dine here alone?"

"Yes, I would like onion soup and a shrimp cocktail."

"May I see your Seapass card?"

"Yes"

"So you don't have a regular table?'

"No"

"And you haven't been here before?"

"No, not on this cruise. I would like onion soup and a shrimp cocktail, please."

"Please give us a few minutes."

And eventually, I was seated alone at a table for 2 and had to explain that I would just like a couple of appetizers. And it all worked out. :)

The tipping guidelines for Royal Caribbean suggest a certain amount of dollars per day. There is no disclaimer about "unless you eat elsewhere" .

By pre-paying our tips, we give no further thought to how that money is distributed. It might as well be a service charge.

Additional money/tips to crew that we interact with (not in the main dining room) is at our discretion and pleasure. :D

It's very simple really. Tip the recommended amount and eat where ever you want! And do not tip any extra in the WJ if that's where you eat. I think what people don't understand is that the waiters rotate and work sometimes in the WJ. We have seen our MDR waiter and assistant waiter working in the buffet many times.

We like to keep it easy so that's what we do.

I agree 100%

Keep it simple... pay the recommended tips and don't worry!

I tip according to my ways and I don't worry - especially about others who seem to feel I should tip someone or someones I never lay eyes on. That is utter nonsense.

Just an FYI...........for those folks that prepay their gratuities but never eat in the MDR either at Traditional Seating Times or MTD, those gratuities are redirected to the WJ and Specialty Restaurant pool. You must eat "1" dinner in the MDR for those prepaid gratuities to stay and be distributed to the Wait Staff that is working in the MDR for your cruise.

Before you ask how do I know this...........I asked on 3 different ships and was given the same explanation on each.:D

Archived