help with oceania please

porrah

I have found an itinerary I am interested in for next winter (always wanted to go to Rio). We have sailed HAL, RCCI, Princess, but never Oceania - it has always seemed way too expensive. What extras are there for the increased dollar on Oceania? (e.g. wine, she said hopefully!) I have read that there is not much to do in the day except sit around - is this true? I am also concerned about long flights from Toronto to/from Rio and Valparaiso as I totally hate flying. Fifteen hours would kill me - well I just wouldn't go. I would appreciate hearing from Oceania clients who can tell me what to expect, inclusions etc. We are not gourmands - mediocre cruise line food is fine for us. We cruise for the itinerary, not the food.

You certainly get the port-intensive itineraries on Oceania, so you are safe there. Beyond that, bear in mind that Oceania is not a "luxury" line, so it is not all inclusive. You will pay for wine and liquor as well as any excursions (we generally do private tours). What you do get is fantastic service and excellent food. The service across the board is wonderful -- all the time. They will accommodate anything, and take very good care at all times with smiles from everyone. Oceania has become known for its food, and deservedly so. The food in the MDR is better than most, and the specialty restaurants are exceptional.

Entertainment is certainly not up to the standards of the lines you have traveled with in the past. On the R ships (Regatta and Nautica), the lounge shows are anything from "hardly worth the time, but it killed part of the evening" to "very good" but often one-man shows of one sort or another. The new O class ships (Marina and Riviera) have better shows, but still not up to the quality of the other lines you mentioned.

There are generally not many days to occupy as you are in port most days, but if there is a sea day, they do have lots of the same sorts of activities that they have on other lines, though perhaps fewer of them. On the O class ships, the cooking classes are amazing. The afternoon tea everyday in Horizons is wonderful.

Ben and Susan covered it pretty well but don't forget the benefits of practically no smoking and no formal evenings -- which won't be benefits if you smoke and like to get all dressed up!

I was assuming you would know this but since you asked about Oceania in just about the same sentence as you said you didn't care if the food is mediocre, that makes me think that perhaps you don't know that much about Oceania after all. That is because Oceania IS known for its generally excellent food. (Not everyone agrees on everything, of course! Some people think the food is better than others, some people dislike the main dining room and love the specialty restaurants, but then there are people who feel the opposite.)

On our Buenos Aires-Valparaiso cruise (before Oceania was born) we pretty much had a sea between most ports, so there could be significant sea days on this particular itinerary even Oceania generally IS very port intensive.

There are more extra activities on the bigger ships (Marina and Nautica) but we personally have never been bored on the smaller ships.

Mura

If you won't go because you don't want to fly from Toronto to Rio it really doesn't matter what cruise line you don't go on, does it? You could always fly to Miami, spend the night and then only have a nine hour flight or so.

I cannot think of a way to get from Toronto to Rio without flying or driving ;)but if you should decide to do either of those I do not think you would be disappointed with Oceania

As already pointed out by others the food is very good not usually mediocre

There are things to do during the day if you choose, bridge, trivia, gym, afternoon tea, swimming, reading, mini golf, ping pong just to name a few

just depends on your interests or you can just sit around if that appeals to you;)

Other inclusions are airfare, sodas & bottled water, real coffee lemonade, ice cream, milkshakes, specialty restaurants are no extra charge

Maybe try a cruise where flying a shorter distance then see if you like Oceania

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

We did this cruise last year and were really glad that we did it. Now, we had to fly from Vancouver to Toronto, Toronto to Valparaiso, so our flight was definitely longer than you would have to fly. We were glad that we spent extra time in Santiago and area as there was lots to see and do. We arranged for a private guide and it was much more reasonable than taking the Oceania package and we saw more. We did private guides in all the ports and were very happy with what we saw and did save money that way as well. The sea days went by very quickly, as there was activities during the day, the passengers were very pleasant to converse with, and the library had an excellent choice of books to read. Coming home, we flew to Sao Paulo from Rio, and then continued on back to Toronto and then Vancouver. We stayed extra days in Rio, so that we could see the fascinating city and also went to the Iquazzu Falls. We were so glad we took the extra time to go to the falls. They were well worth seeing, and all we could say was poor Niagara Falls.

I have found an itinerary I am interested in for next winter (always wanted to go to Rio). We have sailed HAL, RCCI, Princess, but never Oceania - it has always seemed way too expensive. What extras are there for the increased dollar on Oceania? (e.g. wine, she said hopefully!) I have read that there is not much to do in the day except sit around - is this true? I am also concerned about long flights from Toronto to/from Rio and Valparaiso as I totally hate flying. Fifteen hours would kill me - well I just wouldn't go. I would appreciate hearing from Oceania clients who can tell me what to expect, inclusions etc. We are not gourmands - mediocre cruise line food is fine for us. We cruise for the itinerary, not the food.

We have been to Rio and are from the Toronto area. We did just what wripro said...flew to Miami, spent the night and then flew TAM airlines to Rio and it was great! Give it a shot!!

To the others who have posted here, we are considering our first Oceania cruise and your comments have helped us greatly. Thanks!

Sydney and Kent

I like Oceania and I am looking forward to my upcoming trip from Rio to Papeete, Tahiti. I am flying from Toronto to Charlotte and then direct overnight to Rio.

If you are looking for a longer trip, you could go from Miami as someone else mentioned - back-to-back. Or look for other cruise lines - for example the Grand Princess goes from Fort Lauderdale.

Check the possibilities with the Advanced Search in *************. I am *not* suggesting you buy from them, just that they have a reasonable tool for identifying cruises by ports of call.

That being said, I have been on two other Oceania cruises and we are considering another in Asia in the future. We are very happy with the size, the service, the food, etc. We like that it is country club casual - no suits or fancy dresses needed! Soft drinks, fancy waters, specialty coffees and specialty restaurants and airfare (a biggie) are all included. BTW, if you are one of those with miles, you can get money off your cruise by electing to find your own air. Get a good travel agent who knows cruising.

If your budget can handle it, perhaps you could fly Business Class, it is ever so much more comfortable than economy. Can't change the length of the flights, however.

Yes

or go Via Houston

YYZ to IAH . . . . . . United Airlines Bombardier RJ 700

IAH to GIG (Rio) . . United Airlines Boeing 777

I..I am also concerned about long flights from Toronto to/from Rio and Valparaiso as I totally hate flying. Fifteen hours would kill me - well I just wouldn't go.

Porrah, when we flew from Toronto to Rio for a cruise (on Regent, Oceania's sister line), we opted out of the included air, and did the following:

- flew to Miami and spent a night in South Beach to break up the trip

- flew Miami to Rio on Copa Airlines, which is a Panamian airline, with a connection hub in Panama City. So we changed planes there.

This broke the trip up and avoided the Air Canada route that connects in Sao Paolo. We paid for Business Class on Copa, which was reasonably-priced. It wasn't like international business class, more like domestic business, no flat beds or anything, but there was good legroom.

They probably fly from Valparaiso as well, not sure.

We loved Rio, by the way, just adored it.

We found a good BIZ fare on Copa. Seats and cabin certainly aren't up to usual international BIZ standards but the Copa fares were good and at least we have more room.......not the most room but more room. I wish ATN had those BIZ class rates as their Econ seats are pure torture!!!

Glad you loved Rio...what all did you do? If you have time, please pm me at our aol address. Hope you 2 are well!

Well, from my perspective, Oceania is actualy less expensive over all due to the inclusion of tips, air fare and no charge for all dining in any restauraunt.

Too, the size of the ship with 1/2 to 1/4 the number of passengers in a casual country club type atmosphers, not a monster resort ship, is very nice.

I crunched the numbers and all in all Oceania cruises , that the expense from the time you leave home to return, all things considered is as much less than Celeb or Holland America.

Since food is not important and you enjoy , as you put it average food, you might not like or appreciate Oceanias exceptional offerings .

I find, that for myself, I enjoy the casual, hype free atmosphere that I dont find on your mass market ship today. The lack of the formal nights and open seating makes for a wonderful experience to me... not to mention the absence of children and childrens programs. ( which is worth the fare on its own merit)

Oceania I feel fits well if a person can entertain themselves rather than be entertained. Seldom do I ever attend a show opting to enjoy the relaxed tempo of ocean travel for its own value

I far more enjoy the enrichment activites that Oceania offers.. not fluff like Bingo and flower arrangin, that the resort lines offer.

Oceania is not for everyone, If your tastes jibe with the offerings great. Likewise you need to ask yourself if your really got more value to you on a resort ship.

Bottom line is if you are not seeking, and desire what Oceania offers then maybe there are better fits for you .

Choose well:D

from my perspective, Oceania is actualy less expensive over all due to the inclusion of tips, air fare and no charge for all dining in any restauraunt.

Be careful Dan, tips are not always included, and if you count La Reserve (which I realize is a special case but is after all a restaurant), then "all" of the restaurants are not "no charge".

that not all cruises are inclusive of tips. However I mainly for grand cruises if greater than 4 weeks, on which they are included. And to Reiteriate air fare is a huge deal for me living in HAWAII.

I might add that the reason I like Oceania is because of the totaly unique ports... I mean what line offers a cruise from Tahiti to easter island through the canal to Beleze toCharleston on to NY and St Lawerence then crosses the Atlantic to Ireland before ending in Dover UK !!!

Add the enrichment, the quality of the food and most of all the quality of the people that enjoy this sort of sojurn.. Total a different group.

that not all cruises are inclusive of tips. However I mainly for grand cruises if greater than 4 weeks, on which they are included. And to Reiteriate air fare is a huge deal for me living in HAWAII.

I might add that the reason I like Oceania is because of the totaly unique ports... I mean what line offers a cruise from Tahiti to easter island through the canal to Beleze toCharleston on to NY and St Lawerence then crosses the Atlantic to Ireland before ending in Dover UK !!!

Add the enrichment, the quality of the food and most of all the quality of the people that enjoy this sort of sojurn.. Total a different group.

That's very nice for you, and interesting for us to read, but if you choose to put yourself in the position of giving advice, then what you say cannot be so specific to YOUR TRAVELS ONLY.

By the way, I just have to ask, are you writing these posts on some type of mobile device? They are sometimes difficult to decipher.

I far more enjoy the enrichment activites that Oceania offers.. not fluff like Bingo and flower arrangin, that the resort lines offer.

Oceania is not for everyone, If your tastes jibe with the offerings great. Likewise you need to ask yourself if your really got more value to you on a resort ship.

Bottom line is if you are not seeking, and desire what Oceania offers then maybe there are better fits for you .

Have you sailed with Oceania? Bingo has definitely been played on a regular basis on the Oceania cruises we've been on.

That's very nice for you, and interesting for us to read, but if you choose to put yourself in the position of giving advice, then what you say cannot be so specific to YOUR TRAVELS ONLY.

By the way, I just have to ask, are you writing these posts on some type of mobile device? They are sometimes difficult to decipher.

The condescension is easy to decipher.

Bingo, sewing and line dancing are offered (amongst other things) and are very popular. Oceania is very good at providing activities to suit all tastes - not just for those who want / need 'enriching' :eek:.

If you are not really into food and are more into onboard activites, I would guess that there are other cruiselines which would suit you better.

While I have not sailed in Oceana, I have been reading all my brochures and extensively researched online as well. Much of the appeal is the excellent food and terrific service.

However, if the itinerary is the best of all your many options, then go for Oceana. IMHO, HAL has some very comprehensive itineraries as it is targeted to the experienced traveler.

Wine is extra onboard Oceana. There are packages that can be purchased, but it is not included in the cruisefare.

Archived