BP monitor on board?

jaguarstyper

An interesting question ....... me too. I am packing my monitor. I did not assume the medical station would so it for nothing, and I certainly wasn't going to pay $50/day. If someone else knows about this and their IS a possible service, please let us know. {I hate bringing the machine and am quite solicitous of it]

Doug

I have recently come to the point in my life where I need to check and monitor my blood pressure daily. :(

Does HAL have a place on board to do this, or do I need to pack my own BP monitor?

I would imagine that the infirmary could check it for you.. although there maybe a charge associated with this service...I am not for sure.. My advice is to take yours if at all possible...

Joseph

I have recently come to the point in my life where I need to check and monitor my blood pressure daily. :(

Does HAL have a place on board to do this, or do I need to pack my own BP monitor?

I may be wrong, but I doubt HAL would want to assume maintenance/calibration responsibilities for such a unit and the liability issues that would entail. Surely the ship hospital would be able to check your BP, but I imagine they would also charge for the pleasure.

Unless added recently or tucked in some out of the way location I've never seen one of those blood pressure stations like you see in most drugs stores in the US on a HAL ship. My little portable system doesn't weigh much or take up much space so I take that with me. I have it periodically "calibrated" by my doctor and it's actually managed to stay pretty accurate over the two or three years I've had it.

Unless added recently or tucked in some out of the way location I've never seen one of those blood pressure stations like you see in most drugs stores in the US on a HAL ship. My little portable system doesn't weigh much or take up much space so I take that with me. I have it periodically "calibrated" by my doctor and it's actually managed to stay pretty accurate over the two or three years I've had it.
Yeah, I don't ever recall seeing one of those machines you see in drug stores and a bunch or other places either. Given HAL's demographic, its a little surprising. We even have them where I work. But, whatever, I guess I will pack my own.

Thanks!

If it is that important to your health, I think you should pack your own, not only because it is calibrated, but then you can monitor in the same conditions each day.

If it is that important to your health, I think you should pack your own, not only because it is calibrated, but then you can monitor in the same conditions each day.
Well its certainly not a life or death situation for me, but I do need to keep track of it. I use one of the machines at work every day and its usually pretty close to the monitor I have at home, which is pretty accurate. I don't want to bring it, but I probably will. In the final analysis, I don't think I want be bothered with having to go to the gym twice a day.

I also wonder how accurate those machines are on a rolling ship.

Roy

It has no effect on a person either lying or sitting... Bring your own BP cuff you dont need a machine. You can even learn to do it by palpation . Or train your travel mate.

Its a simple device, they dont need calibration... I used then professional for decades... BP changes through out the day and with some meds and diets....

DH brings his blood pressure wrist cuff. It weighs 7.2 oz (I just weighed it) and it's about the size of a cupcake. The device stores 30+ readings, and has proven to be accurate when compared with the dr office.

He prefers that to the public machines, which are often overworked and not calibrated frequently.

I would not want to use the one in the gym due to hygenic reasons, especially after a code red episode. My portable unit weighs about 1.5 lb. & fits in a box 3" x 5" - no big deal to pack, especially in your carry-on. Can you imagine using the one in the gym after some sweaty person had used it??? - ewe!!!;)

Frankly, I'd take my personal one. We have had occasion to need medical services on a couple of cruises, and being in the waiting area with sick people coughing, sneezing, and with nausa from seasickness, or something else - not at all an atmosphere for me to stay well.

I would not want to use the one in the gym due to hygenic reasons, especially after a code red episode. My portable unit weighs about 1.5 lb. & fits in a box 3" x 5" - no big deal to pack, especially in your carry-on. Can you imagine using the one in the gym after some sweaty person had used it??? - ewe!!!;)

?

Noroviruses can't be transmitted through upper-arm sweat, unless you lick your upper arm after using the machine. I suppose you could say the same about any of the gym equipment if you're that sweat-averse :)

?

Noroviruses can't be transmitted through upper-arm sweat, unless you lick your upper arm after using the machine. I suppose you could say the same about any of the gym equipment if you're that sweat-averse :)

I KNOW that! However an infected person has probably touched their mouth & nose & then handle the BP equipment. Still believe noro can be passed on this way.

I KNOW that! However an infected person has probably touched their mouth & nose & then handle the BP equipment. Still believe noro can be passed on this way.

No doubt about that. Always assume every other passenger has noro. But you can't contract it merely through skin contact, it's up to you to make the skin-to-nose or skin-to-mouth final leap before it can infect you. A glop of sanitizer on your upper arm after using the sweaty BP monitor should fix it.

Archived