Recommend a cheap hotel near Termini?

Milaandra

Hi there...I had one booked, but there was a technical glitch with the booking website and now they are sold out!

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent hotel near the Termini? We understand the concepts of quirky, bijou, cozy and atmospheric when it comes to hotels...we just need clean and safe. (private bath preferred, but not essential)

Yes, if a private bath is not essential, you may be talking about a level of "cheap" that generally isn't discussed here.

We stayed at the Hotel Giada last year and found it to be fine for our needs, close to the train station, safe, and clean. I believe we paid about 75 Euro (March 2012). http://www.hotelgiadaroma.com/

The Amaranto Romano is gorgeous! Unfortunately, no availability.

I'm looking for value...I don't want to spend city prices for a boring chain-type hotel. And I really don't want to spend more on the pre-cruise hotel than on the cruise itself!!

So, for something unique and lovely, I'm thinking 150 euros or less...for the Italian equivalent of a clean but basic Motel 6 (Pensione 6?) no more than 80.

Keep the recommendations coming, please!

In June we stayed one night post cruise at the Elyse - Via Cairoli 133

We paid 90 Euro. It is close to Termini but do not exit the main entrance. There should be an exit on Via Giovanni Giolitti and then walk in the opposite direction of the main termini entrance.

We had a large room with private bathroom (shower - no tub). The hotel was clean, continental breakfast and WiFi included and the staff very friendly and helpful.

We had a late afternoon flight the next day and they stored our bags for us. From the hotel we walked back to Termini where we caught the airport bus.

We walked a few blocks to a restaurant in the evening and felt very safe.

We stayed at the Hotel Sweet Home last year and loved it. It was less than a 10 minute walk (maybe even 5 minutes once we knew side streets) from Termini. Very easy to get to. We were 5 adults and stayed in family room with private bath for about 90 Euros. Don't think there was breakfast but many little restaurants in area.

We'll always remember this little hotel/pensione with fondness because we were 4 sisters -- and 1 brother-in-law who easily became the lucky man with 4 women to very friendly and helpful front desk! Franco is the general manager.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d259001-Reviews-Hotel_Sweet_Home-Rome_Lazio.html

Carley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:confused:

I'm wondering what kind of "action" one finds near Vatican City ... or maybe I don't want to know.

We stayed near the Termini and even though there were two restaurants near our hotel (on side streets) and a small grocery store type of place... we basically had to walk to a bus or take a taxi to get somewhere... and walking at night seemed a bit iffy at times and definitely lonely... we were the only one in the area many a time. The shopping kiosks, the long rows of outdoor cafes, the shops, the liveliness of the city, all of this type of "action" was near the area of Vatican City. It all looked wonderful to us! :) We definitely regretted our decision of staying near the Termini.

We stayed at the Boscolo which was a few blocks from Termini. The neighborhood was vibrant day and night, not at all iffy. I guess it depends on which direction you take when you walk a few blocks from Termini--because not all are as the above poster describes.

We stayed near the Termini and even though there were two restaurants near our hotel (on side streets) and a small grocery store type of place... we basically had to walk to a bus or take a taxi to get somewhere... and walking at night seemed a bit iffy at times and definitely lonely... we were the only one in the area many a time. The shopping kiosks, the long rows of outdoor cafes, the shops, the liveliness of the city, all of this type of "action" was near the area of Vatican City. It all looked wonderful to us! :) We definitely regretted our decision of staying near the Termini.

While I agree that the area around Termini isn't all that appealing (I only stay there when I have an early train or plane to catch), I don't find the area around the Vatican lively at all. A few more restaurants, sure, but other than that ... unless you are talking about Prati, which is a residential area a few blocks north of the Vatican.

For a central tourist location, you really can't beat the area loosely bound by Campo dei'Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon.

While I agree that the area around Termini isn't all that appealing (I only stay there when I have an early train or plane to catch), I don't find the area around the Vatican lively at all. A few more restaurants, sure, but other than that ... unless you are talking about Prati, which is a residential area a few blocks north of the Vatican.

For a central tourist location, you really can't beat the area loosely bound by Campo dei'Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon.

Great advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked Rick Steves hotel suggestions? They are all very reasonable.

Check out the Hotel Italia. 18 via Venezia...near via Nationale and walkable from Termini.

Website is http://www.hotelitaliaroma.com.

We stayed there a few years ago...small rooms but great service from the staff. The following year we upgraded to the Sonya in the same neighborhood. We love the Via Nationale area. you can walk to the Forum and the Colliseum and public transport is all around you...subway and lots of buses. The streets are crowded late into the night and the area is safe...main police station and the Opera house are there. Reasonable restaurants are on every side street.

Good luck on your search.

Barbara

Archived