Allure Internet Charges, Bad!!!

dicnic

Just got back from a week cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Discovered that RCCL has revamped their Internet Access packages, to their benefit ($$$), certainly not to its customers. One now must choose from packages that measure the minutes used in contiguous blocks ie, when you sign up for 24 hours, it means the next 24 hours on the clock, measured from when you pay.

Previously, you bought a block of time which you used minute by minute, when you signed on and off each time.

An obvious arrangement to maximize their profits (again).

We are really tired of RCCL nickel and diming us. They used to be our favorite but lately they have fallen way down on our list of preferred cruise lines.

Just got back from a week cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Discovered that RCCL has revamped their Internet Access packages, to their benefit ($$$), certainly not to its customers. One now must choose from packages that measure the minutes used in contiguous blocks ie, when you sign up for 24 hours, it means the next 24 hours on the clock, measured from when you pay.

Previously, you bought a block of time which you used minute by minute, when you signed on and off each time.

We are really tired of RCCL nickel and diming us. They used to be our favorite but lately they have fallen way down on our list of preferred cruise lines.

Actually, all they did was add unlimited use options to all of the various per minute options which are still available. If you don't like they way they charge for unlimited use, buy minutes.

Actually, all they did was add unlimited use options to all of the various per minute options which are still available. If you don't like they way they charge for unlimited use, buy minutes.

that was my impression, too. I like the unlimited use option. I can also imagine somebody wanting a single long block of time or a 24 hour access period...For example, somebody taking an online class might need long blocks of time or a full day to do their classwork. or someone might find such options useful for work. Too bad it did not work well for the OP.

Thanks for clarifying.

I've seen the new charges; my opinion is that if you have to use the internet when cruising then you know upfront what the charges will be, they are not sprung on you. Some people do need to access mail, contact work, classes as described above and post live reviews which are well received by many readers on these boards and for other reasons personal.

I'd like to see some leeway on the part of RCCL to refund unused minutes or carry them over if on a B2B.

I am so glad we do not use the internet when we cruise as we are on Holidays so no computers or phones:eek:

We will catch up when we get home;)

Carol:)

Same here, we put the phones etc in the safe, turn them off and leave them there. Plenty of time the rest of the year for internet and cell phones!:)

That is not true. They only had two options for a small block of minutes, I think 30 and 60, and neither of those options is valid with the C&A coupon.

If you want more than that you have to buy either a full day or a full week of access.

I think they made the change mainly to stop people from using the C&A coupon.

Looking forward to someone posting something in print showing the options. I just got off 11/22 Indy TA and there was the usual minute packages. But maybe something took effect Dec 1?

To those saying "just don't use the Internet while on vacation", I want to say that I do that as much as I can. And I'm not one of these people that think that work can't do without me. They can. But .. to some people it isn't a matter of vacationing with or without internet access. It is a matter of if they can't be available for a consultation via internet during a particular period of time, they can't go at all. I had that situation a few years ago when I was asked to cancel my cruise at the last minute. I said no, but I would participate in a discussion for an hour on a sea day. That was better than no cruise at all.

The wi-fi on the Indy TA was notoriously bad. The worse thing is when you get connected initially, but then you lost connectivity. Attempts to reconnect result in "The Internet is down". Yet charges still accrue. I spoke with Guest Services and they pretty much agreed the whole wi-fi charging scheme sucked, and made a reasonable accommodation.

Maybe moving to a daily rate instead of buying minutes is an attempt to be fair. If so, I applaud them. It is understood going in that what you have is a hunting license for internet service for one day.

Publicpersona, rumor has it that they are upgrading Internet capacity. Perhaps before the upgrade on a given ship, they are unlikely to offer more packages (for fear of overwhelming bandwidth), and perhaps as they upgrade, they will offer unlimited or 24 hour packages. the reports of special packages have come from Allure...it may be too soon for IOS.

That is not true. They only had two options for a small block of minutes, I think 30 and 60, and neither of those options is valid with the C&A coupon.

If you want more than that you have to buy either a full day or a full week of access.

I think they made the change mainly to stop people from using the C&A coupon.

I just came back from the Allure on Dec 2, the C&A coupon for the 30 minutes is still valid. If you log off at the end of the session, you can use the remaining minutes at a later session. You have to type in logoff.com in the URL to stop the clock. Otherwise, the clock keeps ticking and your 30 minutes expires after you leave even if you're only online for 5 minutes.

....To those saying "just don't use the Internet while on vacation", I want to say that I do that as much as I can. And I'm not one of these people that think that work can't do without me. They can. But .. to some people it isn't a matter of vacationing with or without internet access. It is a matter of if they can't be available for a consultation via internet during a particular period of time, they can't go at all. I had that situation a few years ago when I was asked to cancel my cruise at the last minute. I said no, but I would participate in a discussion for an hour on a sea day. That was better than no cruise at all.

I don't even think twice to respond to those posts that want to point out that they are on vacation and therefore, they don't use a computer on vacation.

You are right. There are literally thousands of passengers that would not be able to cruise (take a vacation period) if internet was not available. Many types of business executives need to be available at certain key times of the year. How awesome is the internet to allow those folks an opportunity to take an amazing vacation with loved ones now....such a small price to pay. Many people that own their own business never went on vacation for decades. How sad. I'm so thrilled that so many people can use the internet and go on these vacations and make time and memories with their families.

My guess is that the folks that don't use the internet at all probably don't have little ones at home, or anyone they need to check on while they are gone. More power to them....very cool and very freeing. But not everyone is in that situation so we all just need to be a little more compassionate about other people's circumstances.

Enjoy.

I just came back from the Allure on Dec 2, the C&A coupon for the 30 minutes is still valid. If you log off at the end of the session, you can use the remaining minutes at a later session. You have to type in logoff.com in the URL to stop the clock. Otherwise, the clock keeps ticking and your 30 minutes expires after you leave even if you're only online for 5 minutes.

There were signs at all the machines that week that specifically stated the C&A coupon would not count for that 30 minute package, so I didnt even try

I didn't realize Royal Caribbean had become a non-profit organization. Who knew???

I don't even think twice to respond to those posts that want to point out that they are on vacation and therefore, they don't use a computer on vacation.

You are right. There are literally thousands of passengers that would not be able to cruise (take a vacation period) if internet was not available. Many types of business executives need to be available at certain key times of the year. How awesome is the internet to allow those folks an opportunity to take an amazing vacation with loved ones now....such a small price to pay. Many people that own their own business never went on vacation for decades. How sad. I'm so thrilled that so many people can use the internet and go on these vacations and make time and memories with their families.

My guess is that the folks that don't use the internet at all probably don't have little ones at home, or anyone they need to check on while they are gone. More power to them....very cool and very freeing. But not everyone is in that situation so we all just need to be a little more compassionate about other people's circumstances.

Enjoy.

People that post on a discussion of the internet use just to say they don't use the internet on vacation are like those little kids that interrupt adult conversations just to be noticed. :p

Enjoy.

People that post on a discussion of the internet use just to say they don't use the internet on vacation are like those little kids that interrupt adult conversations just to be noticed. :p

Like button :D

Enjoy.

Thanks - I wanted to comment on that also but you said to so perfectly. I can add that many of our colleagues or clients don’t know that we are away – and that is how we like it. We cruise 6-8 times each year, so we are not really on “vacation” we just happen to be on a cruise ship for a particular week. I doubt we would be able to cruise as often if we were cut off from business or family communication

M

Thanks - I wanted to comment on that also but you said to so perfectly. I can add that many of our colleagues or clients don’t know that we are away – and that is how we like it. We cruise 6-8 times each year, so we are not really on “vacation” we just happen to be on a cruise ship for a particular week. I doubt we would be able to cruise as often if we were cut off from business or family communication

M

I agree, too. I like to check email so I know everything is OK back home. Should really significant work or personal issues arise, I'd be delighted to be able to purchase a 24 Internet package or an unlimited internet package....I may never opt to buy either one, but I will be delighted if they become available fleet wide (assuming there is enough bandwidth to support the program).

the C&A coupon books can change anytime. while I always expect to receive one, I do not assume my favorite coupons will be inside....they could put out new one's today. Last cruise I had a (presumably mis-collated) book that lacked some of the usual coupons and had doubles of others...fortunately I liked the double photo coupons). nor can one assume the terms of the coupons or the terms of on board offer will remain unchanged. If a 30 minute Internet package is worth the posted price to you (coupon or no), but it...If it is not worth it to you, do not buy it.

OP here ..... Our cruise was the Allure, December 2-9, Western Caribbean. The posted internet charges, shown on the account setup screen when creating your log-in name and password, indicated that ALL PACKAGES were of the same variety.

You could select from 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 24 hours or the entire week. Only the entire week allowed use of the C & A coupon, stated clearly on the screen and mentioned casually on the coupon as a maybe.

It seemed clear to me that each package was for a contiguous block of time, not as it used to be. In fact, during the use, if you logged off and back on, the screen told you how much time (on the clock) you had left, ie, it showed on the screen exactly how many hours & minutes were left until your block of time ran out. (Use it or lose it)

We purchased a 24 hour block and watched it count down. Logging off at dinner time and back on later in the evening showed the loss of minutes even though we were not logged on.

In fact, the package selection screen even looks drastically different, indicating that changes of some sort were made.

When I was on Allure, I handed in my C&A coupon to the Concierge who gave me an access code.

On my laptop, it showed the new package options but at the bottom of the screen, it said "do you have an access code". I typed in my code and then had Internet access charged by the minute. To log off, type "log off" . All very simple.

I usually compose my e-mails off line and then just go onto the Internet for a minute or two to send them off and download any new messages.

I liked being now able to access the free sites ( such as Royal Caribbean) from my laptop. It allows me to check future cruises while in my cabin rather than having to use their computers.

I also like their new feature of being able to print your airline boarding passes free without using your minutes.

The only problem I had was that if I first used my access code on their computer, I was not able later to use the same code on my own computer. The concierge gave me a new code which I then only used on my laptop.

Andrew

I'm actually on the Allure now and am totally confused by your post. You can buy various packages based on your needs. It is far more economical to buy a day pass for $25 for unlimited usage than paying $2.00 per minute. :rolleyes:

Same here, we put the phones etc in the safe, turn them off and leave them there. Plenty of time the rest of the year for internet and cell phones!:)

I'm with you, but not everybody has that option.

When we sail, we need internet access only to check in for our flights home. I lock up our phones as well, but if you are flying to your departure city, most people have to check in for flights on the way back.

It takes me only about 5 minutes to do the check in so I'd like to have a small minute option to do that. My mother is diamond, so she gets an internet coupon. If we cannot use it for the smallest package or for free minutes, then I'll have to pay for the lowest package.

Archived