what were we thinking?

late seating

We disembark from FLL, Eclipse, on Feb 9, 2013 and our flight, Jet Blue is at 9:52AM. After reading of all the problems on recent posts we suspect with high probability we are screwed.

We called Jet Blue to learn the next flight that will work for us is 7PM.

If anyone else happens to be in, our self imposed, similiar position; Jet Blue customer relations advised that we should keep our 9:53 flight and cancel that morning (if necessary) thus we will only have a $50.00 penalty each. If we cancel now and book the 7PM flight we will have to pay a $100 each penalty. She assured us there will be seats for the 7PM flight available on Feb 9th? We think we will take CS advice but would love to hear from anyone that has a better idea other than "Ya, you're screwed".

We would also like any help or suggestions as to where and when should we position ourselves on the ship to be one of the first passengers disembarking.

THANKS

We disembark from FLL, Eclipse, on Feb 9, 2013 and our flight, Jet Blue is at 9:52AM. After reading of all the problems on recent posts we suspect with high probability we are screwed.

We called Jet Blue to learn the next flight that will work for us is 7PM.

If anyone else happens to be in, our self imposed, similiar position; Jet Blue customer relations advised that we should keep our 9:53 flight and cancel that morning (if necessary) thus we will only have a $50.00 penalty each. If we cancel now and book the 7PM flight we will have to pay a $100 each penalty. She assured us there will be seats for the 7PM flight available on Feb 9th? We think we will take CS advice but would love to hear from anyone that has a better idea other than "Ya, you're screwed".

We would also like any help or suggestions as to where and when should we position ourselves on the ship to be one of the first passengers disembarking.

THANKS

Booking flights before 12 noon is always risky.

J

Sign up for self disembarkation. You will have to carry your own bags. Go to the place you're told to go to 15-30 minutes before the time you're told so you'll be at the front of the line. It seems more and more people select this option. Take a cab when you get out of the terminal, not a van. The vans don't leave until they are full and you could sit there wasting valuable time. We followed the steps outlined and were sitting at our gate at FLL airport by 8:30 for a 10:15 flight.

Sign up for self disembarkation. You will have to carry your own bags. Go to the place you're told to go to 15-30 minutes before the time you're told so you'll be at the front of the line. It seems more and more people select this option. Take a cab when you get out of the terminal, not a van. The vans don't leave until they are full and you could sit there wasting valuable time. We followed the steps outlined and were sitting at our gate at FLL airport by 8:30 for a 10:15 flight.

That's the way to do it if you must. (But if any special circumstances arise, there's nothing that you can do.)

At this point, I would take my chances with the 9:53 flight. If you miss it, it will cost you $50 each, and it is not certain you will miss it. Of course, the airline agent does not have a crystal ball, so there's no way of knowing if the later flight will have availability.

You will read posts here from passengers who experienced debarkation delays, as well as stories of passengers (like me last weekend) who had no delays whatsoever. So, who knows what your experiences will be in February? A 9:53 flight is not out of the question, it's just not something I would knowingly book.

You might want to program Jet Blue's phone number into your cell phone to have it readily available to cancel your flight that morning if need be.

"She assured us there will be seats for the 7PM flight available on Feb 9th?"

There is no way the agent can reliably assure you 6 weeks ahead of time that their 7pm flight will have room. You seem to know that since you put a "?" on that statement.

To be sure you will not have to spend a few hundred dollars by staying over a night, you could go ahead and book new tickets on the 7pm flight but don't cancel the ones you have. That way, you are definitely going to lose $50 per person by canceling one of the flights, but you have bought the assurance of at least getting home that day.

Follow the advice below on getting self disembark and a taxi. Also, best advice....pack light if you don't have to check you will have no problem whatsoever!

We got off a TA last week-end and were at the airport before 8:00 am.

We took off our own luggage - and yes go to the designated place at least 30 min before they say, as advised you will be at the head of the line for getting off the ship AND customs which can also hold you up getting out of the port - it can take awhile to get an elevator to get your bags down so earlier the better. I agree with best advise to pack light - but I have NEVER been able to do it!

With self-embarkation I think that you will make your flight unless there are unusual circumstances. We just got off RCL Allure Sunday (around 5000 passengers) and we were outside on the curb by 8 AM. We were in the first group called after self-embarkation. The longest delay was the customs line.

OH, NO! I just read the above thread about the disembarkation delays on the Eclipse! I hope for the OP this doesn't happen on every Eclipse cruise. I've taken about 25 cruises out of Port Everglades and the latest I've ever been out at the curb was around 9:30 one time, and that is with regular debarkation (not self-debarkation). Let's hope for the best :)

Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. We have decided to spend the last night of the cruise at the start of the self disembarkation line, using our luggage as a pillow, and hoping for the best.:0) You all have made us beieve it is doable unless of course the unforseen occurrs. Lesson learned, NO flight before noon!

Thank You,

Angelo & Connie

I also was self embarking last Sunday at Ft. Lauderdale, there were at least 6 ships in port that morning. We arrived in port prior to 6 AM with a 7 AM departure. We carried our own luggage off, was there in line early, caught a cab to the airport. Got to the terminal and was able to change our flights from a 1 PM flight to 10 AM. Had over an hour to kill. The longest line was through customs as we were returning from Rome. I realize that this is not always the norm, ship can arrive late, etc. Just saying it worked out well for us last week. Good luck to you.

One other tip I might add since time is of the essence for you: perhaps book a private car to pick you up. For some reason, taxis seemed to be few and far between when we got off the Eclipse December 1. Good luck!

I have considered booking a private car to get us from Port everglades to FLL Airport after our cruise off Silhouette, Feb17th. Idea was to be sure of meeting a 11.30 flight. Thing is, if I book the car for say 9am, I am still not guaranteed of being at the curb by 9am. I have read accounts here of disembark delays of up to 90 minutes . How would the driver be having to wait up to 90 minutes for us?

I have considered booking a private car to get us from Port everglades to FLL Airport after our cruise off Silhouette, Feb17th. Idea was to be sure of meeting a 11.30 flight. Thing is, if I book the car for say 9am, I am still not guaranteed of being at the curb by 9am. I have read accounts here of disembark delays of up to 90 minutes . How would the driver be having to wait up to 90 minutes for us?

I would think you would have to arrange to keep in touch with the driver by phone. Since you're in port in US, your cell phone will work.

OK.....I've resisted participating in the other threads about Eclipse and the disembarkation situation last Saturday, but here is our story.

We had an AirTran 10:55am flight out of FLL, so we signed up for the "do it yourself" disembarkation. Celebrity told us to meet at the Passport Lounge on Deck 3 at 7:45am. We were there at 7:15am, and there were probably 70-80 people ahead of us. Probably another 100 or so lined up behind us. It looked like everyone on the ship was trying to get off at the same time. To their credit, Celebrity did have a couple of people there forming a line and making newcomers go to the end of the line. Unfortunately, the Celebrity people disappeared long before disembarkation began when other passengers started crowding in before the self-disembarkers got off.

It was close to 8:30am before the ship was cleared. One announcement was made prior that "the customs agents were delayed getting there because of traffic in the port area." Huh?? Anyway, about 8:30am the line started to move, to the stairway, down to Deck 2, and then down a steep ramp to the terminal. We breezed right through the terminal with our luggage, no problems with customs, and outside to the cab line. There was someone from the sheriff's department assigning cabs. We were quickly into a cab and at the airport at 9:00am. So far, so good.

Then we ran into an absolute standstill trying to check in our bags. I had done a flight check in on the ship, paid for our bags, and printed out boarding passes, so all we needed was to check the bags. There were only a couple of agents working, and they were simply awful. I swear the woman who was checking in our line was on drugs or in some altered state. She could barely function. With only a handful of people in line, we killed a good half hour getting our bags checked. Anyway, we were at our gate at 10:00am and thankful to be there.

Some additional thoughts:

1) Lots and lots of people are carrying off their own bags, and some of them should never be doing it. I witnessed a very large man who could hardly walk and required assistance getting down the ramp. One of the Celebrity stewards was toting his luggage and helping him walk, and they are not supposed to do that. In addition, there were people with huge boxes and many suitcases who required help from other passengers to get their belongings down the steps. Celebrity also elected to take off the wheelchair passengers at the same time, which added to the confusion. We managed fine, but in the future, I am going to make certain we are not in this position again. It's getting way too hectic.

2) Depending upon the airlines you use, the airport can be a real challenge. We had to have our bags checked in at least 45 minutes before flight time, so you have a problem if you get there too late.....but you can also have a problem if you get there too early. AirTran will not check in your bags any earlier than 3 hours before your flight departure. One of the other airlines we used previously (not sure which one) had a 4 hour checkin limitation. So in addition to all the people who are trying to check in, there are early arrivals wandering all over looking for a place to wait until they can check in for their flights.

3) Eight large ships sailed the day we went out. Getting to the ship was no piece of cake either. We were on a shuttle from our hotel and hit total gridlock getting into the port. Lots of construction going on and lots of people coming and going. Initially we were going to forego the shuttle and try to grab a cab. Thank goodness we didn't. I shudder to think what our cab fare would have been if we'd been sitting in traffic for a solid half hour as we were in the shuttle.

Lots of words here. It may have no relevance whatsoever to your sailing, but my point is: Have a game plan, and it's always a good idea to have a Plan B. Maybe even a Plan C.

A few other thoughts....

You will find crowds waiting to self disembark AND you will also find the elevators onboard jammed too.

Have all receipts handy to accompany your customs declaration in case they are needed. Exceeding your customs allowance will add precious minutes as you will be diverted to the office to pay the excess. If you have purchased something that will be shipped you will have a form which must have a customs clearance which will also divert you.

Do not wear any new or flashy jewelry. Customs agents can spot the new stuff before you even leave your cabin.

Do not exit the ship with any fruit, meat or veggies from the ship.

Do not exceed either your cigarette or liquor allowance.

And of course do not bring back cigars from Cuba or illegal drugs.

These are all common sense issues that I have seen through the years.

I totally agree with this excellent plan. If the ship docks and clears on time, this is the best way to get off and out as early as possible.

BTW, to OP: We'll be getting on the ship the day you are getting off, so don't forget to leave the lights on for us....;):)

All good ideas esp. b/c OP is stuck with flights already selected...Previously we were told never to book 'til after noon for FLL...glad our next return flights are around 2 p.m. so we do not have to rush off in the first few groups.

We too have arrived early at both Miami & FLL sometimes....but it is never a guarantee. If you arrive too early, they won't allow check in...Sometimes we arrive at a good hour, but the lines ahead seem daunting... Generally, we'd rather sit at the airport for extra time than stress out over the last day of vacation. Best is to stay over an extra day but that is not always possible.

Seems the carry off program is out of control, & Celeb will have to better organize & limit that in the future before someone gets hurt. With so many carrying off luggage it backs up everyone else trying to get off at their assigned times.

OK.....I've resisted participating in the other threads about Eclipse and the disembarkation situation last Saturday, but here is our story.

Some additional thoughts:

1) Lots and lots of people are carrying off their own bags, and some of them should never be doing it. I witnessed a very large man who could hardly walk and required assistance getting down the ramp. One of the Celebrity stewards was toting his luggage and helping him walk, and they are not supposed to do that. In addition, there were people with huge boxes and many suitcases who required help from other passengers to get their belongings down the steps. Celebrity also elected to take off the wheelchair passengers at the same time, which added to the confusion. We managed fine, but in the future, I am going to make certain we are not in this position again. It's getting way too hectic.

Please heed Tricia724's advise and be extremely cautious going down the ramps, particularly the one jerry-rigged with a piece of plywood, which is indeed a place waiting for an accident to happen. I personally watched folks nearly falling as they struggled walking down the steep ramp, particularly mature folks with bulky heavy bags.

Whatever you decide for disembarkation, as soon as the ship is cleared and you hit the pier area, get a porter. Give him a decent tip and he will get you to a customs agent and taxi very quickly. Tell your cab driver you're in a hurry, tip him and ask him to get you a porter at the airport upon arrival. You will be shocked how quickly you will get through the entire process. We have made earlier flights at FFL but be generous and forget waiting in the taxi line if you want to make it.

We love Cruise Critic. Thanks to all for the great advice!!

We intend to get in line exra early for self debarkation.

Have all paper work at the ready.

No contraband of any kind.

Take a taxi to the airport.

Get help from a porter at cruise terminal and airport.

Have a pocket full of fives.

Have my STRYKER card in hand when my hip replacement sets off the alarm at

airport security.

No liquids in the carry-ons.

And, hope for some good luck.

Whoo Rah, we're ready for cruisin!

Connie & Angelo (late seating)

Archived