Ocean Liners Question

wr813

I know that in the MDR you can order a second order of a food item. If we dine in the Ocean Liners and order the petit filet mignon and lobster tail can I ask for a 2nd lobster tail to come with the meal or is that not allowed in the specialty restaurant?

A lot depends on who's running the restaurant and how they handle things. I've experienced both ways when they did allow a bit more food, but most of the time, they have been pretty strict with giving extra items of the main course. But to be honest, unless you're a huge eater, having two tails and the filet is A LOT of food. To be honest, I've had problems eating everything they serve in the specialties because the portions are quite large and I'm not a small eater.

I know that in the MDR you can order a second order of a food item. If we dine in the Ocean Liners and order the petit filet mignon and lobster tail can I ask for a 2nd lobster tail to come with the meal or is that not allowed in the specialty restaurant?

In all my cruises I have never been denied any exters in the MDR. Had surf and turf with extra tails or steak. If you have any problem call for the Maitre D'. Take all you want, just eat all you take.~ Ric

In all my cruises I have never been denied any exters in the MDR. Had surf and turf with extra tails or steak. If you have any problem call for the Maitre D'. Take all you want, just eat all you take.~ Ric

Hi Ric, you answered about the main dining room.......the op is asking

about extra food in The Specialty restaurant......in my experience,

I agree with Darcie, and it depends on who is working in the Specialty

Restaurant.

We've often ordered extra salads / soups / apps / desserts and never had any issues. Don't recall ordering multiple entrees, however.

If this is something you really want - go ahead and ask. I would think you would typically be accommodated - but as others have mentioned, it may depend.

Mike

If this is something you really want - go ahead and ask. I would think you would typically be accommodated - but as others have mentioned, it may depend.

Mike

We really never get lobster where we live. Just seeing if an extra tail would be ok.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

When I go to the specialty restaurants I tell my waiter that I am interested in tasting many things on the menu, and every time I am told to order whatever I want, but that the kitchen cannot make a smaller size portion. Then it came as no surprise that on my last visit to Tuscan Grille I ordered 2 appetizers, a salad, a soup, 3 entrees and 1 dessert, and only ate about 30% of each. It felt wasteful but I enjoyed the experience immensely.

How I am sure that I get my lobster, steak or whatever fix when paying extra for a specialty restaurant is that I review the menu in advance and advise the Maitre D that I might enjoy a second offering before even being seated. I have never been refused. The waiter is always ready to accommodate my request. However, there are many times when it is just impossible to possibly eat anything else from what is regularly served.

I have yet to see anyone upset about food offerings in a specialty restaurant, but I did once observe someone have a substantial fret when he was presented his alcohol/wine bill for signature after a specialty dining. What a scene, indeed, but somewhat funny in a bad way! :rolleyes:

We had several visits to Ocean Liners in October. On our first night we were just coming to the end of our (very good) meal and at the next table an entire family each had an extra helping of lobster. This, after they had enjoyed dessert.

The staff couldn't have been more obliging.

What is an exter?

Exters are small game birds similar to ptarmigan but a different family and very gamy in taste. Hardly edible without very careful preparation, which is why one would order them in Ocean Liners - they are sure to be prepared properly.

The season is very short, the first two weeks of November. They require aging, but don't last well so they only appear as a special on the menu the third and fourth week of December.

When I go to the specialty restaurants I tell my waiter that I am interested in tasting many things on the menu, and every time I am told to order whatever I want, but that the kitchen cannot make a smaller size portion. Then it came as no surprise that on my last visit to Tuscan Grille I ordered 2 appetizers, a salad, a soup, 3 entrees and 1 dessert, and only ate about 30% of each. It felt wasteful but I enjoyed the experience immensely.

Greedy what a waste and you felt wasteful!

....pile the plate....gimmie more...get me more.....mmmm food,..more, more

You see that alll the time in fine dining places that cater to sophiciates who appreciate the ambiance of places like Lubys, Golden Coral ..don't you

Curious when does gluttony or obsessive overeating start:rolleyes:

Exters are small game birds similar to ptarmigan but a different family and very gamy in taste. Hardly edible without very careful preparation, which is why one would order them in Ocean Liners - they are sure to be prepared properly.

The season is very short, the first two weeks of November. They require aging, but don't last well so they only appear as a special on the menu the third and fourth week of December.

Would you care to sell me a bridge?

And, I would suspect that you are a candidate for Type II Diabetes.

One thing that I can NOT stand, is wasting food by overordering and throwing most of the food away.

I am appalled that any Maitre d'hotel would allow this as this is sheer glutony, an insult to those in need, and a typical problem of us, overindulgant Westerners, who have lost the plot on values.:mad::mad::mad:

Would you care to sell me a bridge?

Why certainly. If you've got the cash, I'll broker a bridge. ;)

Are they served with cranberry sauce on Celebrity? An exter simply will not do unless it is presented to the diner with a generous helping of cranberry sauce...not the jellied kind.

One thing that I can NOT stand, is wasting food by overordering and throwing most of the food away.

I am appalled that any Maitre d'hotel would allow this as this is sheer glutony, an insult to those in need, and a typical problem of us, overindulgant Westerners, who have lost the plot on values.:mad::mad::mad:

I really think boston scientist is just playing with us and there is not an ounce of truth to his statement. Just ignore him. No one would do what he is claiming and then brag about it.

I really think boston scientist is just playing with us and there is not an ounce of truth to his statement. Just ignore him. No one would do what he is claiming and then brag about it.

Could be. I recall a few years ago when a fellow on the Royal board convinced some folks that the escargot were not snails but some synthetic product.

Could be. I recall a few years ago when a fellow on the Royal board convinced some folks that the escargot were not snails but some synthetic product.

Exactly right, Jack. Remember the great brass polishers thread? These keep the boards interesting, IMO.

I am not sure OP if you will be able to get an extra lobster tail - I would ask if it is possible seeing as how you would really like one. On the other hand I have never had fantastic lobster on a ship - they have been frozen and though they may be passable they certainly do not taste like fresh ones.

Good luck.

FWIW we (myself and DH) usually only have 2 courses at dinner (appetiser or soup and main). We find that there is just too much food and we do not enjoy eating the full amount. Could never ask for a second main course.

Trouble maker :D

I don't believe some of the comments on this thead. No one is writing about wasting food, did it ever occur to some that people have different appetites. Forty years ago I could eat four lobster tails on a cruise, today I'm lucky to finish one. My son is 6'6" and big, his appetite is certainly a lot different than my wifes or mine. Maybe we should make New Years resolutions to stop being so critical of other people until we walk in their shoes. By the way, my son's shoe size is 18...

Archived