Storage space a problem on Eclipse?

Kim

Storage on the S class sucks. Period. And I hate to tell you that it's just as bad in AQ and Concierge.

The lack of drawer space and those overhead bins can be conquered by bringing collapsible bins. The Closet Maid ones on sale at Target this week will fit 3 abreast in each of the overhead bins. Even if you're not tall, you can grab the handle, pull out the bin, get what you need, and then slide it back up there. Works for stuff like underwear, bathing suits, miscellaneous stuff. Or if you're a packing cube user, leave your stuff in the packing cubes and stash them up there.

Smaller collapsible bins will corral the stuff you'd usually put in the drawers of your nightstand. One per shelf and you've got 3 pretend drawers.

Magnetic hooks are good as well (the walls are magnetic). Bring some with clips so you can corral all your paperwork on the wall.

I know it's a pain to have to bring all this stuff, but without it, you'll be reduced to living out of your suitcase. Which you need to keep under your bed. Which is not fun. Modern luxury it isn't.

I was just about to post these hints, but Linda beat me to it. Maybe she was the one who gave me this advice in the first place. After I read this advice on these boards, I went out and bought three of the collapsible bins at Target and they worked like a dream when I was recently on the Reflection for 27 nights. I am not tall, but I was easily able to grab the handles and pull one down from the overbed storage. I bought three different colors so could color-code as to contents. I kept telling my husband that they organized my crusing life. And yes, they are on sale this week at Target for $5.99.

E-bags are also useful. Keep them zippered and keep them under the bed for easy access or above the bed, as Linda says.

I remove most of the wooden hangers, put them on the closet floor, and ask for wire hangers. Closet then holds more hanging items. I also throw a few wire hangers in my luggage if they'll fit and then leave them behind with the room steward. He can give them to the next occupant who asks for wire.

Since I am one of those women who brings several pairs of shoes, I bring a light shoe bag with velcro fastenings that I can put in closet. This can also be used to hold other small items.

I find the storage in the bathroom to be adequate and convenient.

Someone mentioned on these boards that they bring a small cheap plastic tray for the first shelf of the pathetic nightstand. (for Glasses case, etc.) I find this convenient since there is no room for anything on the top shelf, especially if you are on the side with the phone.

All balcony cabins have the same problem with storage, even AQ and Concierge. You have to book a suite in order to get more storage space.

Thanks for your hints, Linda!! You have helped me calm down and be organized as I unpack on my cruises.

Sheila

We put the lifejackets in the overhead cupboards and use the wire basket under the bed for bags and things we will need to port days.

I take a few small make up bags for the bedside table, so that everything is stored away.

We have magnetic clips for the wall opposite the bed for paperwork and I take my own hangers as the wire ones are dreadful for my clothes, nothing fits of them properly. I still end up hanging at least 3 things on each hanger!

I love the bathrooms but there is too much storage in there (and I have a gazillion bottles of toiletries!) Just a little smaller and a bit more storage in the cabins would be just wonderful.

I was just about to post these hints, but Linda beat me to it. Maybe she was the one who gave me this advice in the first place. After I read this advice on these boards, I went out and bought three of the collapsible bins at Target and they worked like a dream when I was recently on the Reflection for 27 nights. I am not tall, but I was easily able to grab the handles and pull one down from the overbed storage. I bought three different colors so could color-code as to contents. I kept telling my husband that they organized my crusing life. And yes, they are on sale this week at Target for $5.99.

E-bags are also useful. Keep them zippered and keep them under the bed for easy access or above the bed, as Linda says.

I remove most of the wooden hangers, put them on the closet floor, and ask for wire hangers. Closet then holds more hanging items. I also throw a few wire hangers in my luggage if they'll fit and then leave them behind with the room steward. He can give them to the next occupant who asks for wire.

Since I am one of those women who brings several pairs of shoes, I bring a light shoe bag with velcro fastenings that I can put in closet. This can also be used to hold other small items.

I find the storage in the bathroom to be adequate and convenient.

Someone mentioned on these boards that they bring a small cheap plastic tray for the first shelf of the pathetic nightstand. (for Glasses case, etc.) I find this convenient since there is no room for anything on the top shelf, especially if you are on the side with the phone.

All balcony cabins have the same problem with storage, even AQ and Concierge. You have to book a suite in order to get more storage space.

Thanks for your hints, Linda!! You have helped me calm down and be organized as I unpack on my cruises.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I checked our local ad and do not see the storage bins. Would you mind giving a link to the ones at Target so we can make sure we have the right sized ones to fit in the overhead cabinet. Thank you :D

They have improved the night stands on the Reflection. There are no draws, but they are enclosed on the sides. You now have two small cubbies in each night stand and enough room on top for the small phone a portable clock and your glasses. I am not saying they are great, but they are an better. You can actually store small things in them.

Hi Sheila,

I checked our local ad and do not see the storage bins. Would you mind giving a link to the ones at Target so we can make sure we have the right sized ones to fit in the overhead cabinet. Thank you :D

They're not on sale this week--they were last week. Sale is only $1 less, so if your cruise is coming up soon, suck it up and pay $1 more--they will make your life so much better. :D If your cruise is a while off, wait them out. They go on sale all the time.

They are called ClosetMaid Cubeicals. The dimensions are 10.5"W X 10.5"D X 11"H. How do I know this? I picked up a few more when they were on sale last week. :D They are handy around the home as well. For example, one of them is currently holding my stash of travel guides for all the European countries I'll be visiting this spring. Do I have room on my bookcases for all those books? Nope. Cubeicals to the rescue!

I don't think I was the one to originate this tip, but I happily share it with everyone. To me, they make the difference between a frustrating experience on the S class and a pleasant experience.

Instead of hundreds or thousands of passengers needing to buy and pack those collapsible bins and magnetic hooks to bring along from home each time, the ships should provide them.

They should also include a decent ledge/soap dish or two in the shower, and hand-held removable shower heads on all showers in all cabins, as they do on the M-class ships.

If Celebrity is concerned about the cost, they could offer the storage items available for rent as an optional package to use for the duration of the cruise. Even if they only charge $5 per cruise, they would soon recoup the costs.

I don't think we are the only ones who would be willing to pay a few extra dollars per cruise for the convenience of having those features provided in our cabin on the S-class ships (even though we strongly believe that it was a major oversight not to have provided adequate storage in the original design).

They have improved the night stands on the Reflection. There are no draws, but they are enclosed on the sides. You now have two small cubbies in each night stand and enough room on top for the small phone a portable clock and your glasses. I am not saying they are great, but they are an better. You can actually store small things in them.

We were just on the Reflection last week in Aqua Class room and the night stands were just as small as on the Eclipse. It was one of the conversations as to they were so small a book could not even fit in them. It would have been a better idea to just have one night stand the same size as on the other ships, at least there would be a drawer in them to secure things. I will say the room was great as the service was also. We loved the ship and the meals and service in Blu was also great.We hope everyone going on the Reflection will love it as much as we did.

luvstosail

Boston Ma.

DH and I were on the brand new Reflection for 13 nights a nd 9 straight sea days. When I first entereed the cabin--balcony on the hump deck 9-- I groaned and thought there was not enough storage. By the time we unpacked, I found a place for everything, especially in the bathroom--actually had room left over!!! But, I really missed having a drawer in the nightstand and some shelves in the closet and around the unit with the vanity table and the TV on it. RCL ships also have shelves behind mirrors on the vanity--those are soooooooo handy for makeup, hair items etc. We stored bulky things and things not needed all the time over the bed in the cabinets and that worked out fine.

All in all, I think there is enough space just not functional. As someone joked-- a women designed the bathroom and a man the cabin!!!

We haven't been on a Solstice class ship yet, but we have two booked for this year. Reading this thread, I am really not looking forward to unpacking!

I do have to laugh, though. Celebrity is supposed to be a quasi-luxurious experience and pax are bringing supplies from Target. It sound more like a camping experience to me! Fine for those who drive to a port, but it is difficult enough to stay within the luggage limits these days without adding storage items. I can just see myself shlepping organization paraphanalia all over Europe!

We haven't been on a Solstice class ship yet' date=' but we have two booked for this year. Reading this thread, I am really not looking forward to unpacking!

I do have to laugh, though. Celebrity is supposed to be a quasi-luxurious experience and pax are bringing supplies from Target. It sound more like a camping experience to me! Fine for those who drive to a port, but it is difficult enough to stay within the luggage limits these days without adding storage items. I can just see myself shlepping organization paraphanalia all over Europe!

Book a suite...and one of the Wonderful Butlers will do it for you !!:D

No need to worry though...as many have said...somehow, we make it all fit someplace...!!

Enjoy,

Woody

A word of advice...check every drawer twice before disembarking. I left a few items like my car keys (luckily we had two sets)' gloves, etc in one of the desk drawers to have handy for disembarkation morning.

Walked off the ship without them and discovered my loss an hour later many miles away. Never saw that car key with clicker again...and they are $$$.

We called immediately of course but Celebrity took weeks to ever respond that they were forever gone. I did not have the impression that they have much of a lost & found system, and this was a Miami arrival, not some far away country.

Aside from that, the storage was perfectly fine. How much stuff do some of you travel with? Sounds like a lot.

Re S class storage: I am 5' 4" & use the overhead bins for most of my folded clothing without difficulty...and we seem to fit everything into what is offered... we work hard to avoid that big pile up on the couch as overflow!!

IMHO, the bathroom design is a huge space waster at the expense of bigger closets with bins..--too many little bins in the bathroom--esp when liquids etc on flights are limited to small sizes but we use them as best we can!

lack of a clothesline in the shower was a big mis-step as well!!! Did these consultants ever hear of a wet bathing suit that drips after being rinsed out???

My recollection is that there is excellent storage on M class concierge cabins-- a larger cabin & more storage space

I always thought I brought too much stuff on vacation, but from the sounds of it, I am a light packer by cruise ship standards! I had no problem at all with the storage on the Equinox. I can see that the over the bed storage might be problematic for certain people who can't reach up easily, but I thought it was fine. Anything that didn't fit there fit in the closet with room to spare.

Remember that you are allowed to wear the same outfit twice!

For vertically challenged people like me at 4ft 11ins those over bed storage spaces are a definate no no. Even if I managed to shove my clothes up there I would never be able to safely get them down again. My DH who is 5ft 8ins (and shrinking;)), can reach them but does not like them as he cannot see what is up there, especially when it comes to retieving the clothes to come home.

I really do think there is a health and safety issue with the over the bed storage space. Firstly it would be easy to over balance and fall off the bed whilst standing on the bed to put things up there. Secondly if anything heavy is stored there I would be afraid it could fall on you in rough seas.

Thanks for the link. I'll be picking up a few for my next trip. I think thye will be really handy to hold all the stuff I take, but don't use regularly like a sewing kit, eyeglass repair kit, duct tape, etc. Another will hold the swimwear and snorkel stuff.

As for the magnetic hooks, I found them at a hardware store. I am still going to pick up a couple of lightwieght ones for holding things like pictures and a calender.

I'll be onboard for 49 days, so somethings that I would normally do without (happily!) will be carted along for this trip :)

You're all welcome, although we've decided NOT to get them. We have enough trouble keeping our suitcases down to allowed weight with just what we already have!

Also, my biggest problem is that , after sailing Princess for many, many years, the hanging space in the closet is so much smaller than what I've gotten used to. :o

Things are thought out for those reasons. And here is another one you probably argue when getting out of bed.

What is it?

n5fmg.jpg

OK fishycomics, I'll bite. WHAT IS IT??????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Archived