Storage space a problem on Eclipse?

Kim

As I look thru pictures and reviews it seems the regular balcony cabins (not AQ or Concierge) have very little storage and counter space. The night stands are almost laughable. Not many drawers for bathing suits/shorts/accessories either. Where does it all go?

Any ideas on how to create more space? I've used a "shoe" bag before on a different ship but there would need to be a spot I could hook it over.

I enjoy reading before falling asleep and always keep pens, glasses, water bottle and a book or magazine on the night stand or in the drawer. Looks like I may have to be inventive on this trip.

As I look thru pictures and reviews it seems the regular balcony cabins (not AQ or Concierge) have very little storage and counter space. The night stands are almost laughable. Not many drawers for bathing suits/shorts/accessories either. Where does it all go?

Any ideas on how to create more space? I've used a "shoe" bag before on a different ship but there would need to be a spot I could hook it over.

I enjoy reading before falling asleep and always keep pens, glasses, water bottle and a book or magazine on the night stand or in the drawer. Looks like I may have to be inventive on this trip.

I don't believe the either a CC or AQ cabin is any larger than a regular veranda. Tall people use the storage over the bed. Short people like me stand on the bed. That doesn't solve the lack of any drawers in night stand next to the bed. I don't know what the "designated women who designed the storage" were thinking. We have used storage in our suitcases under the bed. The ship is beautiful but the storage is not.

We hook our shoe organizer over the bathroom door (both on the Equinox and on Reflection).

The night stands are laughable.

There's a closed shelf above the bed. I use it for some things, but not a ton. Many complain of those. I use the desk drawer for my makeup and hair stuff. All the clothes get hung up in the closet (i ask for extra hangers) and the drawers i use 1 and give my fiancee 2 as he puts pants and tshirts/underwear/socks and i just put socks/underwear/etc in there.

The shoe organizer is really a life saver.

I always bring an over the door hanger rack available at dollar stores.

We put it on the bathroom door and great for bathing suits, p.j.'s and bathrobs.

Can also hang them on the metal walls with magnetic hooks... Master Magnetics 07218 Handi-Hook at Walmart holds up to 20lbs per hook!

My understanding is that the interiors of the veranda cabins, whether "regular" or CC or Aqua are the same size... We were in a CC2 veranda on the Eclipse this spring, and while the storage is not ideal (the night stands, lacking even a small drawer, are pretty pathetic), you can make it work.

First, there's a ton of storage in the bathroom -- lots of shelves, and a few drawers. So everything that you'd normally put in the bathroom should easily find a home. Having read that this was the case, we did not bring the "over the door" shoe bag thing that we usually use in the bathroom for toiletries and the like, and we did not miss it on this trip.

Second, in the cabin itself, we created more storage space by taking the life jackets out of the bin that they are stored in under the bed. We put them in the cabinets above the bed, and used their bin for things we wanted to have easy access to but didn't need all the time. The bin easily pulls out from under the bed. Things that we'd brought but didn't need to use much we just left in the suitcases under the bed.

My spouse is tall enough that she could reach the above-bed cabinets, so she put some of her clothing in there, and then we allocated the few drawers. We found the closet space to be sufficient, even with the formal wear for a 13-night TA.

A warning about the drawers, as well as the safe. The safe is directly above the little fridge, and gets *very* hot from the fridge motor, hot enough that I was concerned about putting sensitive electronics in it, and I didn't. This was an annoyance, as it defeated the purpose of the safe. Also, the drawers are right next to this fridge, and the top drawer and some of the next drawer down got very hot from the motor as well, so be prepared for hot socks or whatever you put in those drawers. Not the best placement of the safe or the drawers, given the motor. (As I understand it, the safe in the Solstice is in the closet, and was moved on later-built S-class ships because it was hard to get to in the closet and took up too much space there. Just not good design all around in terms of the safe.)

Having said all this -- the "cons" were minor, we LOVED the Eclipse and our cabin and we'd gladly sail on an S-class ship again! Don't stress over the storage -- it'll work out -- and have a great trip!

Storage on the S class sucks. Period. And I hate to tell you that it's just as bad in AQ and Concierge.

The lack of drawer space and those overhead bins can be conquered by bringing collapsible bins. The Closet Maid ones on sale at Target this week will fit 3 abreast in each of the overhead bins. Even if you're not tall, you can grab the handle, pull out the bin, get what you need, and then slide it back up there. Works for stuff like underwear, bathing suits, miscellaneous stuff. Or if you're a packing cube user, leave your stuff in the packing cubes and stash them up there.

Smaller collapsible bins will corral the stuff you'd usually put in the drawers of your nightstand. One per shelf and you've got 3 pretend drawers.

Magnetic hooks are good as well (the walls are magnetic). Bring some with clips so you can corral all your paperwork on the wall.

I know it's a pain to have to bring all this stuff, but without it, you'll be reduced to living out of your suitcase. Which you need to keep under your bed. Which is not fun. Modern luxury it isn't.

The life jackets are stored under the bed in a basket. I push the jackets up under the center of the bed and use the basket as my "under bed" nightstand, keeping my water bottle, kindle, kleenex, glasses, etc., etc., within easy reach. I keep my phone on top of the nightstand, such as it is, and use that for my alarm clock and flashlight. Packing cubes help a little bit with those miserable black holes over the bed. If you have beds "apart," which I do now, it's easier to get at stuff from both sides.

We use the zip up packing cubes to pack our tshirts and shirts in. No need to unpack them on the ship, just stack them up on the settee. The other thing I do is to roll up my underwear individually and tie a couple of bundles of the knickers together with ribbon. Then I just undo one bundle at a time which saves space. I have made a drawer string bag for them too.

You may like to take a couple of small oblong plastic containers, the ones with small holes all over so they don't weigh much. Mine are 7 inches x 11 inches x 6 inches deep (19cmX30cmX15cm). The idea is to pack stuff in them in the case and then when emptied you use them on the stupid tiny weeny bedside tables to keep your things from falling off the table in the night. Really useful.

Just to provide a different view of this issue...I ALWAYS take too much luggage, including formal wear, workout gear, running gear, jeans, shorts, electronics, my wife's scrap-booking supplies etc...etc...In fact on our last cruise I told everyone (group of 6) to try and limit themselves to one suitcase (airline fees/multiple flights and pre-post cruise travel)....and then I was the only one with 2 !!:D...which ended up coming in handy for everyone else to move their overweight items to !!

That said, we have never had storage issues on any ship, including on the Celebrity S Class ships. I have never taken any type of storage item/bin, and have never kept items stored under the bed (except shoes) or in a suitcase (except dirty clothes). Have always been able to make-do somehow.....so...

Relax...and Enjoy !!

Woody

We have done three B2Bs on Solstice class, 26 to 28 days and have not really had any great problems with storage. The pull down second rail in the closet allows for hanging lots of shirts and T shirts, and there is still room on the other side for longer clothes. I am a 5'3" senior and have no difficulty with the over bed storage. My solution for the night table problem is to make sure I have the side of the bed next to the couch, so I have a place for overflow items. We do not bring any special storage aids - I did once carry an over the door shoe rack, but didn't need it with all the extra space in the bathroom.

Sheila

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I have to say, storage is one area where M class ships are definitely superior. i still find it hard to believe ghese csbins were designed by women!!!

I am one of those people (let's face it, women) who has to bring 10 pairs of shoes and 3 suitcases (thank goodness for SW). I will definitely pick up some of those cubes for the overhead bins as I used that space on other cruises but it became a bit of a clothes jumble after a while! I am also packing a hanging shoe holder for the closet so my shoes don't take up the entire closet floor.

I did read that the night stands are slightly bigger on Reflection. Can anyone confirm this?

The nightstands and drawer space in the cabin are a joke, and I have to stand on the bed to access the over the bed space. That does hold a lot, as long as they are things that can stay folded, it's just inconvenient.

The bathroom storage space is great--lots of drawers and shelves.

Next time maybe I will use that underbed life jacket bin for shoes; never thought of that.

Even the closet is not especially big. If women designed this cabin, they must have been threatened to hold down costs. Really, tiny shelves by the bed and drawers that are so shallow hardly anything fits in them?

Thanks everyone for the great ideas on this thread.

We were on the Solstice last year for a week and found the storage abysmal.:(

This coming winter we'll be on her for 35 days and I was worried about where we'd keep everything (although I probably won't take that much more than I did for the week).

I LOVE using the life jacket bins for shoes or clothing idea!!!! :)

I happened upon your post as I was trying to find out why a previously "sold out" Eclipse now has several available cabins only 5 weeks out from sailing......But your peeve about the Eclipse and storage can be extrapolated to ALL of the Solstice class ships that have the same exact "stupid" storage design. The joke on our Silhouette cruise was that the bathrooms were designed by women (a true story) but that the cabin design was left to men (probably the case....a pretty ignorant blokes too!). We were on the OLD Celebrity Mercury (now sold) and the cabin design was incredibly good and better than any recent ship of any line we have been on. What "person" in the RCI/Celebrity arsenal of geniuses managed to screw up this old design so completely??

The MAJOR problem is the lack of shelves in the closet to accommodate folded clothes or the thing that do not fit into the few shallow drawers. After our experience on the Silhouette we bought a foldable hanging cloth shelf thingy that will be easy to transport and will fold out and hang to provide those missing shelves that are found in most ships cabins but not the Solstice Class ships.......

........Storage above the bed is fine for things you want to stow for the entire trip (jackets, sweaters, and bulky items) but climbing up on the bed to get to the center of that bin is not too good of an option for things you want periodically during the trip.

I hate the nightstands, but in sailing S class ships several times with three adults to a room we have always found a space for everything (not necessarily a convenient space, but a space). I only bring one extra storage item - a hanging jewelry/curling iron type hanger where I put all the misc. small stuff we bring, due to the lack of drawer space. Other than that, we have always found room for everything, although I confess I am one of those women who has gotten WAY smarter over the years and brings alot fewer items than I used to. I couldn't care less about wearing the same outfit on two formal nights, or the same black pants with different tops over and over for dinner. And if the outfit doesn't match my one pair of dress sandals then it just doesn't make it into the suitcase:)

Can also hang them on the metal walls with magnetic hooks... Master Magnetics 07218 Handi-Hook at Walmart holds up to 20lbs per hook!

I've searched and searched and cannot find these hooks! Any idea where else I can find them? Maybe I've been looking in the wrong department. I had six employees helping me!

Just to provide a different view of this issue...I ALWAYS take too much luggage, including formal wear, workout gear, running gear, jeans, shorts, electronics, my wife's scrap-booking supplies etc...etc...In fact on our last cruise I told everyone (group of 6) to try and limit themselves to one suitcase (airline fees/multiple flights and pre-post cruise travel)....and then I was the only one with 2 !!:D...which ended up coming in handy for everyone else to move their overweight items to !!

That said, we have never had storage issues on any ship, including on the Celebrity S Class ships. I have never taken any type of storage item/bin, and have never kept items stored under the bed (except shoes) or in a suitcase (except dirty clothes). Have always been able to make-do somehow.....so...

Relax...and Enjoy !!

Woody

Thought it was just me - we always take too much luggage and still manage to pack formal gear for 3 nights as well for both of us as well as plenty of dressy outfits / smart casuals for other nights. We thought the storage was pretty good and have never had a problem. We use the over the bed storage for things like t shirts / shorts and beach wear / costumes etc. I have to climb on the bed to organise it all though as I'm a bit on the short side!

Have a great time - you should have plenty of space

I've searched and searched and cannot find these hooks! Any idea where else I can find them? Maybe I've been looking in the wrong department. I had six employees helping me!

Order on line http://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Magnetics-07218-Handi-Hook/21863692 . You can probably find something comparable at Home Depot, Lowes or your local hardware store. Just check to see how much weight each hook will hold.

Karen

Archived