Those cold, hard rolls.

Ladysilver

Yeah, we watch our weight closely.

My wife barely put on any weight (less than 2 pounds) after our recent 14 nighter, despite feasting on all the good food and desserts.

She has got it all sorted. One critical factor is to watch the carbs closely. Another is to step up the exercise.

I agree with you! We walked the track every day, (before I hurt my back.) And took the stairs most of the time. I had gained about 5 pounds but am back down to my normal weight now. Eating regular meals and staying active really works.

I agree on both the bread and the WJ biscuits! You don't put sugar in biscuits...those are scones.....funny....never has stopped me from being a total PIG though.

I love the bread! Cold or not. I just put the butter pats in my hands for a few seconds and it melts and then....I partake of the cold yummy goodness.......:o

Savory bites are my favorite :D

Ohhh I could eat every last one ! LOL the waiter just kept them coming on our last cruise and my husband and I would fight over the last ones ;) they are THAT good in my mind! Then again we are bread people love a nice crusty bread with our meals. Although I could understand how some one would like a warm roll like when you go to a restaurant and they come out with the warm bread basket.

I agree with you! We walked the track every day, (before I hurt my back.) And took the stairs most of the time. I had gained about 5 pounds but am back down to my normal weight now. Eating regular meals and staying active really works.

too much work for me :D ! I try to lose about 5 pounds BEFORE I go so I can gain it back on the cruise :o

On our galley tour, they took us in the bread proofing room and a guy was in there making the rolls. He told us they make the rolls for first seating early and then make the second seating rolls during first seating...so they are actually fresh for the day, but they just don't keep them hot because they would dry out. Anyway that was his take on it...she said as she wiped the drool from her mouth and moved on.....the fragrance in there was heaven:p BTW, someone once said on here that they thought all the breads were frozen....NOT!:cool:

This my thought exactly. DH and I started Weight Watchers last fall and have lost 20 lbs each.. Sort of worried about the cruise in 2 weeks, but we do have a plan. Usually I hate crusty bread, but I love those Savory Bites. Part of the plan is NOT to tell my waiter how much I like them, or , good waiter that I know he will be, they will be available by the "boatload" every night !:)

I have recently lost 40 pounds. Hope to loose 10 more before our upcoming B2B on the Allure. I know that I will gain a few pounds during the time spent on the ship. But, I am not concerned. The weight gain will be temporary. As soon as I get back home again, I will go back to "eating right" and increase the exercise. During the summer months, when I am not working (public school employee) I walk close to 6 miles everyday.

I am not going to starve myself, nor deny myself, the foods that are available on the cruise ship. A little indulgence has never hurt anybody.

One of the things I truly love about cruising is having desert after lunch. I also enjoy wine with dinner, and desert and coffee after dinner. When DH and I go out to dinner or lunch, we never order desert. When we go out to dinner, we seldom order wine, and never order desert with coffee. I will not deny myself those pleasures. Life is too short.

While the bread and rolls are not the greatest in the world I think they are quite good, especially when getting onboard after a few days in the US.

Sorry no offense to my US friends, but what you serve as bread is not good bread.

A good bread/roll needs a nice crust.

As an American who spent 6 months in Europe I couldn't agree more. Our generic soft rolls and breads are no good compared to breads and rolls in Europe. But it's what American's are used to. I'll take crusty ones anytime!:D Of course you can find good bread in the US, just have to look for it:)

Wow, that is certainly a generic statement!

Most fine restaurants in the states serve artisan breads, hot, at the table that rival anything Europe puts out. It's the HOT part that most Americans want.

I agree a good bread must have a good crust and I get that when we dine out all the time. And I prefer a firm holey bread to a dense heavy bread, but can get that here easily also.

You must be thinking of super market bread that sandwiches are made with over here. Ich! Most restaurants here do not serve that kind. My local HEB super has the best bakery on the planet IMHO. Love their brioche, bagette, sour dough and good German ryes.

While the bread and rolls are not the greatest in the world I think they are quite good, especially when getting onboard after a few days in the US.

Sorry no offense to my US friends, but what you serve as bread is not good bread.

A good bread/roll needs a nice crust.

Why would anyone be offended? I always thought that whether food was good or not depended on whether the person eating the food liked it or not.

Why would anyone be offended? I always thought that whether food was good or not depended on whether the person eating the food liked it or not.

I totally agree. Maybe I should buy that "wonder Bread" type white bread that is DH's favorite. I just can't do it, though !!;):D

That's true. I cannot stand any of the mass produced breads, like Wonder bread and many others. Ick. I'd rather have no bread. OTOH, many people like them, so who am I to judge? It's like with wine. My mom once said to me, "I'll bet you think I have no taste because my favorite wine is white zinfandel." I replied, "Why would you think that? Mom, you have your preferences and that's all that matters. I am happy that you know what you like. There's no right and no wrong here. Besides, I have to spend more for the wines I like, so you're ahead there."

beachchick

I love to bake - the hard rolls and rock hard cookies were especially frustrating to me. We cruised Freedom in Sept. I actually complained to the Hotel Director about it. He said that by the time they get the rolls from the kitchen to the table they're no longer soft. With the cookies, he said there's so much AC blasting in the ship/windjammer that it dries the cookies out. He suggested rolling your cookie in your napkin for 10-15 mins and it will get softer. :rolleyes:

Not an ideal solution in my mind.

I love the cookies on Royal, it is my one dessert splurge on the entire cruise. I eat no desserts at all except those cookies - especially the sugar free peanut butter. I also bake tons of cookies, but I have always thought the cookies on Royal are really good. And I love the sour dough rolls-ymmmm

I am so looking forward to Royal's breads on our cruise in a few weeks!:D

We really missed them on our Celebrity cruise, their breads were absolutely tasteless. I love the hard rolls in the MDR and the pastries in

WJ at breakfast.

Sherri:)

My grandson doesn't like bread at all. A year ago we were on FOS. We had a wonderful assistant waiter, Julio. He gave Frankie a sourdough roll and he ate it and asked for a second. The kids still talk about Julio rolls. I will be on AOS next month and am looking forward to a Julio sourdough roll.

ACK! Tears have been shed after leaving an RCI ship because "Who is going to introduce our sourdough and savory bites tonight at home!!!!????"

I am NOT kidding. My girls have CRIED over those rolls. Hahahahahahahaha!

It's the one thing they comment on every OTHER cruise line that they miss. The rolls just aren't the same ;)

My faves are the sourdough followed by the bites also!

I don't hardly eat bread at home, maybe a couple times a month, but boy do I pig out onboard! I could just eat the rolls and butter for dinner:p;) I bet we eat 3 or 4 each every night! Ya gotta have a couple while waiting, and then one with your soup....and then one with your entre:D

Most people say Royal is a step above Carnival, however my 1st cruise on Royal: The luke warm hamburgers sat in the stream table, the rolls were stiff! they sat next to the hamburgers, then the cheese slices sat next to the rolls? Nothing was hot, nothing was melted and they only offered raw onions. You placed a slice of cheese on the burger, the burger wasn't hot enough to melt the cheese.

On Carnival, they serve juicy hot cheeseburgers with melted cheese and cooked onions right off the grill.

I'm planning another cruise on Royal, thank God for Johnny Rockets, I'm sure to get a decent hot burger!

Happy Sailing!

Most people say Royal is a step above Carnival, however my 1st cruise on Royal: The luke warm hamburgers sat in the stream table, the rolls were stiff! they sat next to the hamburgers, then the cheese slices sat next to the rolls? Nothing was hot, nothing was melted and they only offered raw onions. You placed a slice of cheese on the burger, the burger wasn't hot enough to melt the cheese.

On Carnival, they serve juicy hot cheeseburgers with melted cheese and cooked onions right off the grill.

I'm planning another cruise on Royal, thank God for Johnny Rockets, I'm sure to get a decent hot burger!

Happy Sailing!

We ate at Johnny Rockets and the burgers were EXCELLENT. Very hot! So was everything else! :D

Happy Sailing!

Ask the chef to put the burgers on the grill for a few minutes and the cheese on top. He will fry some onions for you as well. Always obliged when I asked.

Alex

Archived