Just received a Penthouse upgrade offer.

mcpepe

Hello all!

I was just reading the boards yesterday about penthouse upgrade offers when lo and behold, I received an email @5pm tonight from my online TA. We are on the 1/12/13 Oosterdam sailing from Sydney.

HAL was offering an upgrade to the Penthouse suite for an additional $2100 per person. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I passed. I love the SC aft suite, 5190 that I booked. My mother and I are one star mariners, having cruised in an SA back in 04 on the Oosterdam to Alaska.

So maybe one of you guys will be getting a phone call/email next with the bargain offer!:D

Not such a bargain offer but maybe worth it to some. I agree no knowing the number of days of your cruise does make a difference. One week vs. many more days, of course, could change my opinion. :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise in the lovely suite you selected. :)

OP's signature includes: "Upcoming: HAL Oosterdam 1/12/13 Australia/New Zealand" - the HAL website shows a 14 day and 25 day cruise starting on the 12th. So $2100 on a 25 day cruise would be less than $100/day - I'd take that upsell for the penthouse!

Hello all!

I was just reading the boards yesterday about penthouse upgrade offers when lo and behold, I received an email @5pm tonight from my online TA. We are on the 1/12/13 Oosterdam sailing from Sydney.

HAL was offering an upgrade to the Penthouse suite for an additional $2100 per person. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I passed. I love the SC aft suite, 5190 that I booked. My mother and I are one star mariners, having cruised in an SA back in 04 on the Oosterdam to Alaska.

So maybe one of you guys will be getting a phone call/email next with the bargain offer!:D

Yes, we love the "inexpensive" upsell offers from our friends in Seattle. On our Prinsendam cruise last spring we booked a favorite porthole cabin in order to get a very good price. About a month before the cruise the "upsell fairy" called and offered us the "bargain of a lifetime" upsell to a suite for only $9,999! I am not kidding about that price...as I guess they thought we could not calculate how close to $10,000 that bargain price happened to be. Of course we did decline the "bargain" offer. Apparently so did everyone else on the ship since that suite remained empty for nearly the entire 62 day voyage (although they did house some of the guest entertainers in that cabin from time to time).

Hank

Yes, we love the "inexpensive" upsell offers from our friends in Seattle. On our Prinsendam cruise last spring we booked a favorite porthole cabin in order to get a very good price. About a month before the cruise the "upsell fairy" called and offered us the "bargain of a lifetime" upsell to a suite for only $9,999! I am not kidding about that price...as I guess they thought we could not calculate how close to $10,000 that bargain price happened to be. Of course we did decline the "bargain" offer. Apparently so did everyone else on the ship since that suite remained empty for nearly the entire 62 day voyage (although they did house some of the guest entertainers in that cabin from time to time).

Hank

Wow, that's stupid expensive.

To the OP - It sounds high to me. I would have done the same.

If that was the longer cruise - it's a nice offer. Since you like what you have not a biggie. If it was us, I would be saying yes and DH would be saying no - one of us would have to capitulate:rolleyes::p

Needless to say, I passed. I love the SC aft suite, 5190 that I booked.

Wow, what a deal, huh? I would have made the same choice. Having experienced the PS and the aft corners, I will choose the aft corner every time over the PS. The PS is very, very nice but not worth the extra money unless you plan on entertaining other guests. Its a great option for that, but overkill for just 2 people in my opinion.

For 14 days I'd thought about it but probably would have passed. For 25 days I'd probably taken it. I sometimes wonder about upgrade offers. We've only received one and it was I thought outrageously expensive at $4,000 to upgrade two people from a B to S on the Veendam for a 14-day cruise. I passed on that offer but did counter-offer and got dead silence from HAL. :)

As a fan of the wrap-around stern suites and having received penthouse upgrade offers in the past, I would again pass on almost any offer. The aft suites are simply awesome and for me the best rooms in the house.;)

Could not agree more!!!!

Aft Wraps are the TRUE Penthouse of the ship:)

The ONLY time I would even think to consider an Up Sell or Upgrade to a Penthouse is IF I cannot outright book one of the Aft Wrap Around Staterooms:)

Joanie

And for us, the "SA" is our cabin of choice. :)

We were in PS on other than a Vista ship and it was lovely and we enjoyed it but I don't think we would opt again for PS over "S" on an "S" or "R" ship.

For a Vista or Signature ship, we might consider an upsell. I like those 'PS" more than the others but like the "SA" far more than the aft suites. We don't like being in the stern. We did it once on another cruise line and said never again.... just not our preferred location.

It all depends what is important to you. We were once offered the PH for $800 pp for the first two passengers when there were actually three of us. The third did not have to pay extra. Actually he sailed free. It was for a 14 day cruise.

With the Murphy bed and the extra half bath, the upsell was a no-brainer for us.

We grabbed it.

Terri

Hello it's for the 14 day cruise. Given that we already paid a pretty sum for the cruise itself, shelling out an additional 2100 each is not appealing. I chose our cabin very carefully, researching it. Joanie's page was invaluable. I try to book the cabin I will be happy with rather than hoping for an upgrade.

For this trip, I'd rather use that extra money for the excursions to see New Zealand and Sydney after.:)

Hank

That's craziness to me, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone took the offer. The few times we have been offered an upgrade to the Penthouse the price has not been worth it but amazingly someone always seem to take it.

OP the offer you got for the Penthouse was high if it was only for 7 days, if it was for a longer cruise it might not have been a bad offer. Though I'm with Sails, give me the SA or S suite and that good enough for me.

Hello it's for the 14 day cruise. Given that we already paid a pretty sum for the cruise itself, shelling out an additional 2100 each is not appealing. I chose our cabin very carefully, researching it. Joanie's page was invaluable. I try to book the cabin I will be happy with rather than hoping for an upgrade.

For this trip, I'd rather use that extra money for the excursions to see New Zealand and Sydney after.

It sounds to me like your making a very wise and prudent decision. You'll love your cabin, trust me.

As a fan of the wrap-around stern suites and having received penthouse upgrade offers in the past, I would again pass on almost any offer. The aft suites are simply awesome and for me the best rooms in the house.;)

Ditto we love the wrap-around too :D

Archived