Hot Glass Show

casandbliz

What can you tell me about the hot glass show on the S class ships? Are the pieces for sale? What do they typically sell for?

Hi,:) personally, I love watching the shows and enjoy learning about

how it is all done.

As for the pieces being for sale? No. They are not for sale.

They do offer a raffle during each show. If you happen to get lucky

and your number is called? That would be the only way to receive

something.

Which ship are you sailing? The Glass show is only on Solstice,

Equinox and Eclipse. Silhouette and Reflection do not have it.

They do not offer a raffle after every show, it depends on the crew that is there

On the TA which was very rough, shows were cut short or did not even start

My wife did win one of the pieces :D, she almost froze to death watching the show

They did have an auction on the second last day which went to charity

Prices range from $400 to Over $800 I believe

When we were on the Solstice last March, they auctioned off about 5-7 of their best pieces. All proceeds went to charity. All except for one went to a scholarship fund for glassblowers to the Corning Museum glass blowing school/studio and the last piece - a beautiful pink vase - was auctioned off for breast cancer research.

We loved watching the glass blowing shows and ended up with a beautiful piece at the auction! :) The artists are so talented!

Great Shows...and wonderfully talented, and knowledgeable artisans.....and if anyone thinks they have have the necessary talent (I wish I did)...they are currently hiring Glass Artists to work on the ships !!

Enjoy...and good luck...you might just win a raffled piece !!

Woody

Each session lasts about two hours....each of the three glass lowers make a piece while another talks about what's happening. They make significant pieces...vases, cake plates, bowls...all with decorations using a wide variety of techniques. Each is a one of a kind...they make what they want to make that day. It is a terrific experience and every show is different. Each glass blower has at least 5 years of experience and they are selected for this job from hundreds of applicants....they are fantastically talented and personable folks. They raffle off almost everything they make...they only sell at the end of the cruise as others have described accurately.

We were on the Solstice for 26 days on a B2B. They only raffled off about 8-10 pieces each cruise. They must have made over 50 each cruise. The auction off their favorite 5-6 pieces for charity. The rest are displayed around the ship or sent back to the Corning offices. The last day at sea, they must have had 25-30 pieces set out for display.

They did have an auction on the second last day which went to charity

Prices range from $400 to Over $800 I believe

Several pieces at the auction I attended went for well over $1000. Good for them ~~ not so good for me:(

We were on the Solstice for 26 days on a B2B. They only raffled off about 8-10 pieces each cruise. They must have made over 50 each cruise. The auction off their favorite 5-6 pieces for charity. The rest are displayed around the ship or sent back to the Corning offices. The last day at sea, they must have had 25-30 pieces set out for display.

They do not ship anything back to Corning.....every cruise we are on they raffle off three or four pieces at each raffle so your experience sounds quite unusual.

We were on the Solstice and got a lot of enjoyment from the Hot Glass Show. Every show ended with a raffle. Free tickets were given to all who were present at the "END" of the show. The items raffled were from previous shows as any item crafted spends a further 18 hours or so in the oven.

Any item that has a defect (like a chip) or not up to the satisfaction of the artist will not be raffled.

We were lucky enough to be winners in two draws and got into a bidding war for a particular piece that my DW wanted, she got it. All funds, as stated previously, got to charity or a scholarship.

If we were trying to decide between cruises the Hoy Glass Show may be the deciding factor.

We were on the Solstice and got a lot of enjoyment from the Hot Glass Show. Every show ended with a raffle. Free tickets were given to all who were present at the "END" of the show. The items raffled were from previous shows as any item crafted spends a further 18 hours or so in the oven.

Any item that has a defect (like a chip) or not up to the satisfaction of the artist will not be raffled.

We made it to a lot of the shows to the end and they only had one raffle.

The piece my wife won was from an artist who was not on the ship , he had left the couple of weeks ago

So it depends on crew if there a raffle every night

We loved the hot glass show and I would choose one of the older ships over the new ones for this reason. They raffled around 3 to 5 pieces per show and with just a day or two to spare on our 14 night cruise, we won a piece! As everyone has mentioned, they also auctioned pieces but the prices got pretty high for those.

Here is a picture of the piece we won being held by the artist that made it.:)

eIMG_4800_zpsf38c16ce.jpg

We have been on the Solstice three times and the Eclipse once and have been to many Hot Glass Shows. They do not raffle pieces off after every show and, when they do, they don't necessarily raffle off more than one piece. I have been to many shows when there was no raffle at all and was disappointed. I have also been to several shows when there was one piece raffled off. I have never been to a show when more than one piece was raffled off, so, for those of you who have seen more than one piece raffled off, I am jealous! I guess it is really up to the individual artists on the ships how the raffles are handled.

I enjoy watching and listening to the artists very much and admire their talent and their work or I wouldn't keep going back to the shows. If I ever win a piece of the art, that would be a bonus, but not winning does not keep me from enjoying the experience.

Enjoy the show!

We went to the Hot Glass show many times on the Solstice in the Med. They only did a few raffles and I was not lucky enough to win.

Besides - how the heck would I have gotten it home!

One of the factors why we chose our next cruise on the Eclipse was the Hot Glass show. Very talented artisans.

The best was watching the show as we slowly left Venice.....so ironic.

We have been on the Solstice three times and the Eclipse once and have been to many Hot Glass Shows. They do not raffle pieces off after every show and, when they do, they don't necessarily raffle off more than one piece. I have been to many shows when there was no raffle at all and was disappointed. I have also been to several shows when there was one piece raffled off. I have never been to a show when more than one piece was raffled off, so, for those of you who have seen more than one piece raffled off, I am jealous! I guess it is really up to the individual artists on the ships how the raffles are handled.

I enjoy watching and listening to the artists very much and admire their talent and their work or I wouldn't keep going back to the shows. If I ever win a piece of the art, that would be a bonus, but not winning does not keep me from enjoying the experience.

Enjoy the show!

I was recently on the Eclipse and went to many of the hot glass shows. They did not raffle off pieces at every show, but when they did raffle, it was always more than one piece. Sadly, I didn't win. It turned out that all the pieces I really loved were selected for the auction at the end and, alas, I was outbid for all of them.

The fact that I didn't come home with a wonderful piece of handblown glass did not in the least affect the pleasure of watching those talented people blow glass.

We love the Hot Glass show. I believe the number of pieces raffled have to do with how many people are at the show. On our cruise, sometimes they did the raffle in the middle because when people hear about the raffles, they just show up at the end and don't really watch the show. Sometimes they raffled several pieces, sometimes no pieces. Go to see the show and learn about the art form. I was really hoping for a piece in the raffle but ours also went for $500-800 and that was outside my price range. However, I did get a business card for one of the artists and after she got off the ship, I commissioned her to make me a fish, so it's sort of like a souvenir from the cruise!

We love the Hot Glass show. I believe the number of pieces raffled have to do with how many people are at the show. On our cruise, sometimes they did the raffle in the middle because when people hear about the raffles, they just show up at the end and don't really watch the show. Sometimes they raffled several pieces, sometimes no pieces. Go to see the show and learn about the art form. I was really hoping for a piece in the raffle but ours also went for $500-800 and that was outside my price range. However, I did get a business card for one of the artists and after she got off the ship, I commissioned her to make me a fish, so it's sort of like a souvenir from the cruise!

I have only run into one glassblower on the equinox who kept pushing that they work on private commissioned pieces when they return home...so talk to him while you're on board if your interested. Other than that one guy, the folks have been very down to earth, they don't push anything other than visiting the corning museum if you are in the area, and they are terrific artists and narrators.

They pack anything you buy in the auction very well. If you win something in the raffle, you are on your own getting it home....they do not have extra wrap that they will give you.

I have only run into one glassblower on the equinox who kept pushing that they work on private commissioned pieces when they return home...so talk to him while you're on board if your interested. Other than that one guy, the folks have been very down to earth, they don't push anything other than visiting the corning museum if you are in the area, and they are terrific artists and narrators.

They pack anything you buy in the auction very well. If you win something in the raffle, you are on your own getting it home....they do not have extra wrap that they will give you.

And if you do visit.....it's free !! (see attached from the CMoG website !!

Celebrity Cruises SeaPass DiscountTOP

Those who have experienced the Hot Glass Show at Sea aboard the Celebrity Solstice, Equinox, or Eclipse, or traveled on any Celebrity Cruises ship are invited to visit the Museum as a special guest! Just show your Celebrity SeaPass and receive free admission for two and a 10% discount in the GlassMarket. Plus, kids and teens, 19 and under, are always free. (Valid for US residents only through December 31, 2013. The offer is non-transferable and you must provide a photo ID. Discount applies to non-sale items purchased in-store only. May not be used in conjunction with any other discount.)

Enjoy,

Woody

I loved the glass blowing shows.

Just as a data point... IIRC, the three pieces auctioned on our Equinox cruise went for about between $250 and $450.

A question did come up during one of the shows asking about how many pieces get raffled off. They said they pretty much raffle off everything they make but that some pieces break (while setting over night (in the annealer?), during a rough/windy night at sea, etc) and essentially what a previous poster mentioned about not raffling off pieces that aren't up to snuff.

Let me just be clear, none of the glass blowers were talking about their commission work. I approached the one blower as she made very cool fish and I simply asked if there was any way to get one. And I am thrilled with my piece. So you can ask if you like someone's style, but they may or may not oblige and may or may not offer a piece in your price range.

Let me just be clear, none of the glass blowers were talking about their commission work. I approached the one blower as she made very cool fish and I simply asked if there was any way to get one. And I am thrilled with my piece. So you can ask if you like someone's style, but they may or may not oblige and may or may not offer a piece in your price range.

The reference to "commission work" was not suggesting that they do commission work on the ship....I am sure that isn't allowed. I was just surprised that one of the glassblowers kept mentioning that when they get home, they do commission work. Of course there is no problem mentioning that once or twice....it's helpful to know...but in this case, he was really trying to sell. It's a fine line....

We were on Equinox in June 2011 and loved the hot glass shows and the artists as well. Very cool, down to earth folks who are always happy to take the time to talk with passengers about life and their work. On our trip they only had one raffle and they told everyone there would be one raffle at some point and a few pieces sold at the charity auciton. The raffle pieces depended heavily on their inventory. If they were successful and made a lot of pieces, they would raffle more stuff but if inventory was low, the raffle would be small. At auction each of the three artists presented one piece for auction. Two of three pieces went over $800, the third was about $225 and the artists were thrilled. If we were booking on a S class ship now we would definately pick one with a hot glass show. It is much more entertaining than a Lawn Grill.....