men's dress on Formal night in MDR and restaurants

beltane

What is the bare minimum a man can wear on formal nights in the MDR, and on any night in one of the restaurants?

Hubby and I have never cruised Princess before. My hubby prefers to simply wear nice slacks and a classy shirt with a collar. He has never been turned away from the diningroom or restaurants on formals nights on Carnival -- but I realize Carnival is not at the level that Princess is.

I enjoy dressing up on the formal nights and will have a cocktail dress on. But will he be turned away if he is in nice slacks, good shoes and a collared shirt?

Thanks for your help.

Hi There

There is a search function you can search by names, themes etc.

If you have problems, just come back and ask for help,

As to dress code, the longer the cruise the more folks trend to dress up,

folks this side of the pond are likely to dress up more.

yours Shogun

What is the bare minimum a man can wear on formal nights in the MDR, and on any night in one of the restaurants?

My hubby prefers to simply wear nice slacks and a classy shirt with a collar. He has never been turned away from the diningroom or restaurants on formals nights on Carnival -- but I realize Carnival is not at the level that Princess is.

I enjoy dressing up on the formal nights and will have a cocktail dress on. But will he be turned away if he is in nice slacks, good shoes and a collared shirt?

Thanks for your help.

What you just described is what Princess calls "smart casual" Formal is defined as quite a bit dressier.

You can probably get away with that look if you add a tie, but most men will be wearing suits or tuxes in the MDR.

We no longer go to the MDR whether formal night or not. My khaki's and polo shirt fit in quite well in the Cafe Caribe or HC. The food includes several dishes from the MDR and there's no fuss or waiting time. Those who enjoy getting dressed up have their venue and we like to relax and avoid the MDR. Chances are you and your DH can have the same dinner in the CC or HC on formal night.

Hi All

One of the nice things about Princess is that on formal night those that want to put on a tux can do, and go to MDR

while those that want to wear a polo shirt can and go to another for their evening mal.

yours Shogun

We are on a Panama Canal cruise in February and were thinking skipping formal nights in the MDR in favor of a yet to be defined alternate - Horizon Court, room service, whatever. Is the meal in the MDR really special on formal nights? Particularly since I see a lot of info on these boards that the food has gone somewhat down hill. Any recent input most appreciated.

Kathy

The bottom line is that he won't be turned away. However, depending on the cruise, he may be very much in the minority. On my 17-day Island cruise last September/October, all gentlemen were in either dark suits or tuxes. I didn't see one man without a jacket.

Some will say they see a lot of gentlemen in shirts without jackets and that may be true. Just not my experience or observation. We didn't feel like going to all three formal nights so we went one night to a specialty restaurant. I'm taking a cruise next month and we don't plan to do formal nights. We'll either go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant.

Hubby and I have never cruised Princess before. My hubby prefers to simply wear nice slacks and a classy shirt with a collar. He has never been turned away from the diningroom or restaurants on formals nights on Carnival -- but I realize Carnival is not at the level that Princess is.

Thanks for your help.

Princess has a defined "dress code". Whether or not it's enforced in the main dining rooms depends on the head waiter.

"Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men"

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Princess has a defined "dress code". Whether or not it's enforced in the main dining rooms depends on the head waiter.

Thank you. That's what I was wondering... whether they actually enforce their own rule. I didn't pose my original question properly.

On our first cruise, which was a Royal Caribbean, hubby and I brought EVERYTHING. While seated for dinner we noticed people coming into the MDR looking nice, but hardly formal. We asked our waiter what's the deal? He said "Unless they are in beaters, shorts, and flip flops, we won't kick you out of the MDR." After that my husband has always dressed VERY nice, but without the "noose" around his neck and the business suit that he was hoping to leave at the office.

Having never cruised Princess, I wondered whether they enforced their own rule or whether they looked the other way and how often.

There must be a happy medium. We usually bring my elderly parents who love cruising. But my 87 year old father does not even OWN a suit anymore and due to his physical challenges, probably couldn't wear a suit. Surely they must have some wiggle room in their rule? That would seem hardly fair to say to my father "Sorry sir. You paid full price for your cruise but you'll need to eat at the buffet tonight cuz you don't look as good as the rest of us..." when he's dressed perfectly acceptable.

Beltane, I have several Princess cruises under my belt and I NEVER pack a jacket, suit, ot tux anymore. They don't bother to enforce their dress "code" so I don't bother to observe it. I wear nice slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie on formal nights.

Thank you for this response. This is exactly how my DH plans to dress. I fail to see why a jacket is required to enter the dining room when most men of my acquaintance, if wearing a suit at a meal, remove the jacket while they eat.

Beltane, I have several Princess cruises under my belt and I NEVER pack a jacket, suit, ot tux anymore. They don't bother to enforce their dress "code" so I don't bother to observe it. I wear nice slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie on formal nights.

I have experienced the same on my cruises on three Princess ships in 2012. I was welcomed into the MDR wearing a dress shirt and slacks on all of the ships on formal nights.

The one exception I noticed is that they have posted a sign that they do not allow shorts.

Just dress neatly and wear long slacks. They do prefer long sleeve dress shirts, but I have also seen short sleeves.

Hi All

One of the nice things about Princess is that on formal night those that want to put on a tux can do, and go to MDR

while those that want to wear a polo shirt can and go to another for their evening mal.

yours Shogun

Wrrong. those who wish to wear a suit and tie or just a long sleeve dress shirt with tie may eat in the MDR. Please do not let others give you the impression that you can only wear a tux in the MDR on formal nights.That is totally the wrong information.

You can also wear a tux IF you want too and they can also go to another for their evening meal IF they want too.

Thank you. That's what I was wondering... whether they actually enforce their own rule. I didn't pose my original question properly.

No they do not. I only wear a pair of dockers and long sleeved dress shirt sans tie. I have never had a problem.

Thank you for this response. This is exactly how my DH plans to dress. I fail to see why a jacket is required to enter the dining room when most men of my acquaintance, if wearing a suit at a meal, remove the jacket while they eat.

My point exactly. What a farce to wear a coat in, immediately take it off and hang on the back of the chair and carry it out in your hands. I did it the first few cruises but then decided it was ridiculous and now leave it at home.

Wrrong. those who wish to wear a suit and tie or just a long sleeve dress shirt with tie may eat in the MDR. Please do not let others give you the impression that you can only wear a tux in the MDR on formal nights.That is totally the wrong information.

You can also wear a tux IF you want too and they can also go to another for their evening meal IF they want too.

I agree. I've seen tuxes in the buffet or specialty restaurant and shirts and slacks in the dining room on formal nights. Each was very much in the minority for where they were eating but the bottom line is that within reason, you can wear what you are most comfortable with (except shorts in the dining room.)

To all that come here wanting to know if their male partner can enter the dining room on formal night in shirt sleeves the answer is yes.

However, those dressed without a jacket are in the minority. You must make your decision based on whether you will feel comfortable with that knowledge.

Princess has not changed their dress suggestions to suit those that don't want to wear a jacket. They just turn a blind eye to those that ignore the suggestions and seat them. Perhaps one day they will change the dress code.Until then, we will have the courtesy to follow the dress suggestions.

To all that come here wanting to know if their male partner can enter the dining room on formal night in shirt sleeves the answer is yes.

However, those dressed without a jacket are in the minority. You must make your decision based on whether you will feel comfortable with that knowledge.

Princess has not changed their dress suggestions to suit those that don't want to wear a jacket. They just turn a blind eye to those that ignore the suggestions and seat them. Perhaps one day they will change the dress code.Until then, we will have the courtesy to follow the dress suggestions.

My problem is that the women's "suggestions" of an elegant pant suit is no more dressed up than if my DH wears a very nice long sleeve dress shirt and tie with black slacks. My DH has a number of very nice suits that he wears for occasions that call for it. But for those of us flying and trying to avoid paying the excessive baggage fees that the airlines now impose, I am trying to conserve every bit of space for those items that I will get the most use out of and that does NOT include packing a jacket that my DH will wear for probably the sum total of 30 minutes over the 2 formal nights.

I agree. I've seen tuxes in the buffet or specialty restaurant and shirts and slacks in the dining room on formal nights. Each was very much in the minority for where they were eating but the bottom line is that within reason, you can wear what you are most comfortable with (except shorts in the dining room.)
Agreed, to an extent. If one is dining with others at a table in the MDR then it is somewhat inconsiderate to dress down whilst tablemates wear tuxedos or suits in the spirit of the night; it does not contribute to the mood. From polls conducted on CC those who don't follow the recommendations in the MDR are less than 10% of the population.

A tuxedo is not a requirement - Next week while onboard Crown Princess I'll be wearing the suit I wore to my daughter's wedding this year. I'll be doing this for my wife's appreciation, to enjoy the festive spirit together, as she is worth my "cleaning up nicely". We may, however be dining in Cafe Caribe and I will welcome being stared at by those who consider me overdressed for the venue. ;) That's their problem.

Agreed, to an extent. If one is dining with others at a table in the MDR then it is somewhat inconsiderate to dress down whilst tablemates wear tuxedos or suits in the spirit of the night; it does not contribute to the mood. From polls conducted on CC those who don't follow the recommendations in the MDR are less than 10% of the population.

A tuxedo is not a requirement - Next week while onboard Crown Princess I'll be wearing the suit I wore to my daughter's wedding this year. I'll be doing this for my wife's appreciation, to enjoy the festive spirit together, as she is worth my "cleaning up nicely". We may, however be dining in Cafe Caribe and I will welcome being stared at by those who consider me overdressed for the venue. ;) That's their problem.

As long as someone is clean and presentable, I mostly don't have a problem with what someone is wearing. We're going to be doing anytime dining and requesting a table for 2 so hopefully we won't "dampen the mood" for anyone else. Just as you stated that it's "someone else's problem" if they think that you are over dressed for Cafe Caribe, I consider it someone else's problem if someone thinks that my DH's long sleeve shirt, tie and slacks is under dressed for the MDR. My DH would happily wear the jacket if I asked him to, but I know how much he dislikes wearing it along with a long sleeve shirt and tie and I'm happy for him not to wear the jacket. He spent 22 years wearing the uniform of his country so I think he has earned the privilege of dressing down.

Archived