Baked Alaska

Shogun

Hi All

Whats your thoughts on the Baked Alaska parade, it appears to be getting less and less,

OK health and safety killed of the real flames, but they still set fire to stuff for the chefs table,

Then the cake its self is often served as a slice from a large tray,

Then the parade used to go around almost all tables now its out round the main walkway and back again,

And what about the tricks the stunts etc all gone,

So with our waiters so over worked,

Why not just have the chefs come out and allow us to thank them for there hard work.

Our put a bit more time and effort into it and bring it back as a real event.

yours Shogun

Don't tell me they are doing that silly Carnival parade and dancing on Princess.

I was trying to get away from all that non-sense.

If I find out they do that stupid "red,white & blue" crap I am cancelling the Crown for sure. Even if I have to take a loss.......

Don't tell me they are doing that silly Carnival parade and dancing on Princess.

If I find out they do that stupid "red,white & blue" crap I am cancelling the Crown for sure. Even if I have to take a loss.......

Looks like you'll also need to cancel your 11/13 Cruise on RCCLs Freedom Of The Seas.

Looks like you'll also need to cancel your 11/13 Cruise on RCCLs Freedom Of The Seas.

I don't remember dancing waiters on RC.

However that is not too bad.

It is the useless red, white, & blue contest that I cannot stand.

I don't remember dancing waiters on RC.

However that is not too bad.

It is the useless red, white, & blue contest that I cannot stand.

Princess doesn't have the so called "useless red, white, & blue contest"either. Must be a Carnival thing.

No Baked Alaska on the Emerald Christmas cruise. However, it may have been a victim of Noro. We did have escargots (I know, not quite the same as Baked Alaska - and it takes too long to parade the snails through the dining room).

Art

The baked Alaska parade at late Traditional dining on the Island Princess last October was pathetic. I'd say that at least half the dining room was empty because people either didn't come or had already finished and left. There was no energy in the room and it was more like parading out the kitchen staff than a celebration of the food and service we'd received. I'm not a fan of baked Alaska to start with.

We had the baked Alaska parade on the Crown last week. I thought it was actually well done, late seating, done at 9:30pm and went through the whole dining room. Our waiter presented it at our table and served it table side to us. I love baked Alaska so I thought it was very well done. I do miss seeing the flames though but can understand why they don't do it.

One thing I was shocked about, that same night (last formal night) they had actual candles on all the tables. I was surprised to seem them given the potential hazard.

Also they did have escargots on the menu that night.

No dancing or singing waiters on Princess...

IMO the parade is a waste of time. On the last evening most persons that my wife and I meet, like to have a faster meal. Also, over the years, both the parade, and the product have deteriorated, to a point where they are no longer enjoyable.

john

Baked Alaska is not my favorite desert and I normally order what I want and I dink my coffee and just watch. I can live with or without it.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

just got off the coral and the last full day was the baked alaska parade, each one had a burning candle, the lights went dim and out came all the cooks, chefs and wait staff, i took a video of it need to learn how to youtube.. it was a very nice parade ..last princess cruise was 18 years ago to alaska and it was done there the same fashion. a tradition continues..

just got off the coral and the last full day was the baked alaska parade, each one had a burning candle, the lights went dim and out came all the cooks, chefs and wait staff, i took a video of it need to learn how to youtube.. it was a very nice parade ..last princess cruise was 18 years ago to alaska and it was done there the same fashion. a tradition continues..

For a long time they're used battery powered "candles" that have lights that flicker like flames to create the illusion of a "burning candle" including recently in the Crown.

I don't like Baked Alaska so I wouldn't miss it if it were eliminated.

For one's first couple of cruises, a Baked Alaska parade is exciting. Once you have become a cruise addict, not so much.

<begin rant> I don't like that they assume that everyone wants a slice of it. I don't think Princess does a good job, the sugar isn't dissolved in the meringue. A plate gets plopped in front of me, I say I don't want it, they leave it and then take my order for the dessert I'd prefer. Waste of food. Food waste is a pet peeve. <end rant>

In summary, it's fun to see the expression on first time cruisers when they start the parade, plus watching all the flashbulbs go off through out the dining room. But I'd just assume skip it. We usually have good timing in Anytime Dining and it's already been done or we leave before, so no real complaints.

Jackie

We got the "old style" slice from the round mounded Baked Alaska on the Golden last month and not the slice from the log shaped Baked Alaska.

I agree with the poster about the sugar in the meringue not being completely dissolved. Not my favorite dessert, but I do like the silly parade. It is a fun way to thank the Chefs. It is something that has stayed the same over many years. I hope they keep it.

We also got the old style Baked Alaska on Grand Princess last month--a whole one for our table of six. Our waiter said this was the very first time he sliced one. He may have said it jokingly, but we could tell he was not pleased. The pre-sliced would have been fine with me; even the smallest of the three pictured above is a lot larger than the postage stamp I was served on Celebrity last March.

On our recent Golden Princess cruise we had Anytime Dining and there was no parade. Baked Alaska was on the menu that night as "Ice cream Bomb" The Traditional Dining room had the parade. Next cruise was the Star and we had Traditional Dining and a parade. Although we had been served our dessert in the "new" way from a tray, our waiter brought over a cake from the parade and offered another slice to anyone interested..

Although it is not a favorite of mine, I think the parade is a tradition of cruising and would be missed by many if it was eliminated. There are very few of the "old traditions" still in use.

With anytime dining, the parade is sort of stupid to me. While some people are ready for dessert when the parade comes thru, others are on the various courses.

We had the baked Alaska parade on the Crown last week. I thought it was actually well done, late seating, done at 9:30pm and went through the whole dining room. Our waiter presented it at our table and served it table side to us. I love baked Alaska so I thought it was very well done. I do miss seeing the flames though but can understand why they don't do it.

One thing I was shocked about, that same night (last formal night) they had actual candles on all the tables. I was surprised to seem them given the potential hazard.

Also they did have escargots on the menu that night.

We didn't get baked Alaska on our cruise two years ago, but maybe we had skipped the MDR that night (we had anytime dining, which just wasn't the same to us).

We just got off the Golden today (had late traditional dining:)) and last night was the baked Alaska parade. I haven't uploaded my photos yet to a photo sharing site, but I'll try to post here (probably the thumbnails that you have to click on).

One photo is of our assistant head waiter.

SANY0683.jpg.b704a506159092f60e3ddb79733e699b.jpg

SANY0687.jpg.276a18dc824a9019b0dd2658d59bb989.jpg

SANY0688.jpg.4413ff3133fa2f3ca74856934d46141f.jpg

SANY0689.jpg.fcd4ce42fba04d51151b06970c1373ad.jpg

Archived