"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas / Jan 5, 2013

Radio

Hello everyone and good morning. Welcome to Day 2 of “LIVE” from Enchantment of the Seas.

The post that I made last night was ready for posting at 9 PM; however, I could not connect at all through the pervasive WiFi that was recently installed on Enchantment of the Seas. I was unable to connect with my 4G mobile hotspot and the Royal WiFi signal. The only thing I have to say about that is “@#$%&”

I was finally able to connect and make my post around midnight when we were near Norfolk using my 4G mobile hotspot. I was a little angry that the newly installed pervasive WiFi was not “Radio friendly” ; however, the plus side is I am now posting to you live from the comfort of my cabin with a blazing fast internet speed. By “blazing internet speed” I don’t mean the wireless high speed internet you are used to at home, but for ships’ standards, an 800-900 kbps speed is very fast.

One of the things that I noticed when I boarded the ship was that many of the cabins have received upgrades. I will try to see as many cabins as I can; however, D2 balcony cabins have received the following:

New draperies

New 27 inch flat screen Tvs

New carpet

New coffee tables

New desk chairs

New cabin artwork

The biggest change would be that the bathrooms have been completely redone from floor to ceiling: new wall coverings, floors, shower, shower fixtures, cabinetry, toilet and sinks. It kind of seems like they used the format and color schemes of the Oasis class and Solstice Class ships, and conformed them into the Vision class bathrooms.

I have taken many photos of the cabin, and will be posting them throughout the week.

I woke up this morning very early (4 AM) and walked around the ship in search of coffee. I went directly to the Concierge Lounge where I was able to enjoy a delicious café Americano. For some reason my room key allows me entrance to the Concierge Lounge but not the Diamond Lounge. The cleaning crew was there at 4:30 AM and allowed me access so I could take a few photos.

We are currently in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Cape Hatteras and still have 1128nm to go until we reach our first port, San Juan PR.

The Park Café opens at 6:30 so it is time for me to go up and enjoy a light breakfast on Deck 9. Here are some photos from last night and this morning. Many more pics later.

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

The smiling chefs from Chops last night look very happy.

B1.JPG

Comedian Peter Sasso is very funny and was featured at the Welcome Aboard Show.

B6.JPG

The new Diamond Lounge (very early this morning)

B4.JPG

The new Concierge Lounge is very nice (a little small however).

A10.JPG

The Solarium early this morning was very quiet.

B7.JPG

Our current Location. . .

MAP5.jpg

I recognize the Chops chef from our last cruise in November. Thanks again for the wonderful pics and details. Can't wait for our next sailing.

Someone told me the horrendous shower curtains are still there. Please say it ain't so

Thanks Joan. I'm really excited!! We are already C&A members.

One more question-we've left from Baltimore 1 other time. A niece dropped us off and it was a disaster! We thought she could swing by quickly and return to work. We sat in line in the car for almost 2 hours while they let buses, taxis and hotel vans jump in front! GRRRR

This time we're parking. We live in northern VA so we'll drive up and park. Hope it doesn't take us 2 hours to get unloaded!LOL

You may want to consider taking Amtrak to Baltimore. I did it last week and it was quick, easy, and very economical. I am not sure of your exact location in NoVA, but if you take Amtrak from Union Station it takes about 40 minutes on the train to get to Penn Station in Baltimore. Two round trip tickets are approximately $44 dollars plus cab fare to the port at about $15 each way (a ten minute ride). On the return home, I was off the ship by 8:15 with the first group to disembark and was at the train station by 8:40. I took the 9:45 train and arrived in D.C. at 10:30. Fastest return home ever! :)

You may want to consider taking Amtrak to Baltimore. I did it last week and it was quick, easy, and very economical. I am not sure of your exact location in NoVA, but if you take Amtrak from Union Station it takes about 40 minutes on the train to get to Penn Station in Baltimore. Two round trip tickets are approximately $44 dollars plus cab fare to the port at about $15 each way (a ten minute ride). On the return home, I was off the ship by 8:15 with the first group to disembark and was at the train station by 8:40. I took the 9:45 train and arrived in D.C. at 10:30. Fastest return home ever! :)

Thats a thought. I take the train to nyc alot. We live near quantico so i get it there. But takes about 3the hours from there to balt. My hubby refuses to drive into dc. And it takes us under 2her hours to drive to baltimore.

Thats a thought. I take the train to nyc alot. We live near quantico so i get it there. But takes about 3the hours from there to balt. My hubby refuses to drive into dc. And it takes us under 2her hours to drive to baltimore.

I traveled from Fredericksburg.... one stop from Quantico. It was $56 round trip; I took the 7:35 train and was in Baltimore by 10:30. The train does do a half hour stop in D.C. to restock the dining car and change staff, but it went quickly. I highly recommend this option because it was very stress free! :) Sure beats the $15 dollar per day parking cost and the worry that my new car would be damaged in the lot, too! Gee, I must sound like an Amtrak salesperson!

Would be good to know :)

There are 3 Formal Nights. . .That was listed in the Enchantment of the Seas Daily Planner. . . .

I am trying to get more pics up, but the Connection has been like a Lumbering Hippo !

I will try again after the Show :confused:

Radio

;);)

I recognize the Chops chef from our last cruise in November. Thanks again for the wonderful pics and details. Can't wait for our next sailing.

Someone told me the horrendous shower curtains are still there. Please say it ain't so

Hha ha. . .Hi Nikki. . .Yes the same style curtains are in place. They are all new though.

Radio

;);)

Have you met anyone in the new panoramic cabins on deck 7 or 8? Would love to catch a glimpse of them if you have the opportunity to snap a shot or two.

Thanks for your posts & pictures!

I will have detailed images of the NEW Cabins before I get off of the ship next Monday.

I was able to get some during embarkation, bu the images did not turn out so well. I was surprised to see that the new bathrooms dtill had the old style curtains. . .

Radio

;);)

There are 3 Formal Nights. . .That was listed in the Enchantment of the Seas Daily Planner. . . .

Radio

;);)

Ok the debate rages on

So anyone that has an up coming cruise of 12 nights please look at your documents and let me know what it says on page 17.

I just found this on cruiseadvise.org

Dress Code on the Enchantment of the Seas

During the day, casual attire is appropriate on the Enchantment of the Seas including, shorts, sundresses, etc. for the ladies; for men, shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. Rubber-soled, low heeled, or flat shoes are recommended while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys' shoes, is prohibited onboard all Royal Caribbean ships. Cruises to colder climates are best suited for layering clothes and adjusting depending on the temperature. For the Enchantment of the Seas dining dress code in the evening, you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan. The evening dress codes falls into two types which are Smart Casual or Formal. Officially, swimsuits, tank tops, T-shirts, and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas in the evening.

Read our article on Royal Caribbean Cruises Dress Code for information regarding appropriate Cruise Casual and Cruise Formal evening attire.

Enchantment of the Seas Dress Code Tips:

• There is usually one formal night on cruises that are 5 days or less, two formal nights for cruises that are 6 to 12 days long and cruises that are 13 days or longer in length has three formal nights.

Ok the debate rages on

So anyone that has an up coming cruise of 12 nights please look at your documents and let me know what it says on page 17.

I just found this on cruiseadvise.org

Dress Code on the Enchantment of the Seas

During the day, casual attire is appropriate on the Enchantment of the Seas including, shorts, sundresses, etc. for the ladies; for men, shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. Rubber-soled, low heeled, or flat shoes are recommended while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys' shoes, is prohibited onboard all Royal Caribbean ships. Cruises to colder climates are best suited for layering clothes and adjusting depending on the temperature. For the Enchantment of the Seas dining dress code in the evening, you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan. The evening dress codes falls into two types which are Smart Casual or Formal. Officially, swimsuits, tank tops, T-shirts, and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas in the evening.

Read our article on Royal Caribbean Cruises Dress Code for information regarding appropriate Cruise Casual and Cruise Formal evening attire.

Enchantment of the Seas Dress Code Tips:

• There is usually one formal night on cruises that are 5 days or less, two formal nights for cruises that are 6 to 12 days long and cruises that are 13 days or longer in length has three formal nights.

Honestly, don't worry whether it is 2 or 3 formal nights. You are getting caught up in a minor detail. Take what you want to and if there are 3 nights I am sure you will find something appropriate to wear. Just enjoy.

I traveled from Fredericksburg.... one stop from Quantico. It was $56 round trip; I took the 7:35 train and was in Baltimore by 10:30. The train does do a half hour stop in D.C. to restock the dining car and change staff, but it went quickly. I highly recommend this option because it was very stress free! :) Sure beats the $15 dollar per day parking cost and the worry that my new car would be damaged in the lot, too! Gee, I must sound like an Amtrak salesperson!

DW and I came in and returned to Chicago by Amtrak, $1400 with sleepers, 26hrs there on #50; 21hrs back on #29 with commuter train to Washington. Allowed 2 50lb bags per person. Very relaxing if you have the time.

Radio, or anyone else, on this current cruise, is Jack sailing with you? Most know who Jack is.:)

Not sure about this cruise, some may know, better but Jack was on the Explorer cruise with us last month the 12/3 cruise. A great guy.:)

Usually on a 12 night cruise there are 3 formal nights. But, in the past we did not take any formal clothes and decided to eat in the Windjammer. the next night our waiter asked why we were not at dinner the night before and we told him we didn't bring the dress up clothes this time and he told us it didn't matter we could have attended anyway. To me to ask for the formal nights is a hardship for cruisers after spending the $$$ for the cruise they may not have the $$ for formal wear. Just my opinion...should be like a wedding "formal wear optional".

It is opional.my sister doesn't like dressing up any more so she just wears black pants and a dressier top.

Subscribing, thanks for the ride-a-long.

I'm dissapponted to hear that the freestyle machines are not installed yet esppecially after RCCL saying thay they'd be there post refit. To hear that they're Onboard but just haven't been hooked up yet is hopeful though. Here's to hoping they're up and running before we are aboard her in March - we just got off Explorer and the Freesytle machines were AWESOME.

Can't say I'm not a little dissapponted to learn that the insides didn't get any refit at all, but meh - it's not going to run my excitement, and besides, the whole reason we book insides anyways is because we are hardly ever there. ;)

We can't wait to get aboard and I'll be living vicariously through your posts in the coming days.

Radio, do you know if they are going to do any updating to the inside cabins? Anyone know? I'd appreciate it if you can find out.

Radio, do you know if they are going to do any updating to the inside cabins? Anyone know? I'd appreciate it if you can find out.

I will try and find out. . .

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone !

It has been frustrating for me to create a post on Cruise Critic today. I know how to do it, I have been doing it for years, but there seems to be a bandwidth problem, connection problem or server issue. Sometimes I could upload a photo in 5 seconds, other times it would take 5 minutes.

I am not sure what the problem is, maybe something to do with the drydock. In any event it is nice to have wireless internet connectivity in the cabin. Enough about that. . .my rant is over!

This evening I attended the Crown & Anchor welcome back party in the Spotlight Lounge. The place was packed and Captain Gus Andersson was our guest speaker, along with Teodora Marshall the Loyalty Ambassador. There were many drinks and snacks offered for all past guests, and music by the Shine Band.

Captain Andersson stopped me in the hall to update me on the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines. He suggested that there will be 4 Freestyle machines including 2 in the Windjammer, one outside the Windjammer and one near the Ben & Jerry’s kiosk on Deck 6.

Tonight’s dinner was the “Sage” dinner and I enjoyed it with a couple Cruise Critic friends. I will try to post all the menus before I leave the ship this week. I really enjoy the new menus, there seems to be something for all tastes and the variety has changed for the better. The wait staff told me that the passengers really enjoy the new menus.

We are making good time on our way to Old San Juan but we still have 300nm to go. Here are a few pics from today. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to post without a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the nice comments and thanks for tuning in.

Radio

A little more sunny skies, and blue seas

C33.JPG

The sun begins to set and bring another beautiful day to a close. . .

C23A.JPG

Captain Gus greats everyone at the Crown and Anchor Welcome back party.

C24.JPG

I had a great dinner in the My Fair Lady dining room.

C27.JPG

The trio “Wild Fire” was the featured entertainment tonight in the theater

C30.JPG

Our current positon

MAP8.jpg

Hello everyone !

It has been frustrating for me to create a post on Cruise Critic today. I know how to do it, I have been doing it for years, but there seems to be a bandwidth problem, connection problem or server issue. Sometimes I could upload a photo in 5 seconds, other times it would take 5 minutes.

I am not sure what the problem is, maybe something to do with the drydock. In any event it is nice to have wireless internet connectivity in the cabin. Enough about that. . .my rant is over!..

You posting problems are likely on the Cruise Critic side, and not due to your bandwidth. Many of us have been having serious problems using the boards the last few days. Sometimes a post takes 20 minutes to show up.

Good luck, I hope they fix the problems so we can continue to enjoy your live postings.

Captain Andersson stopped me in the hall to update me on the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines. He suggested that there will be 4 Freestyle machines including 2 in the Windjammer, one outside the Windjammer and one near the Ben & Jerry’s kiosk on Deck 6.

He didn't happen to mention when they were going in did he? :) Yummy orange diet coke. I might have to wait under Wonderland opens for the summer. :(

Hello everyone !

I am not sure what the problem is, maybe something to do with the drydock. In any event it is nice to have wireless internet connectivity in the cabin. Enough about that. . .my rant is over!

This evening I attended the Crown & Anchor welcome back party in the Spotlight Lounge. The place was packed and Captain Gus Andersson was our guest speaker, along with Teodora Marshall the Loyalty Ambassador. There were many drinks and snacks offered for all past guests, and music by the Shine Band.

Tonight’s dinner was the “Sage” dinner and I enjoyed it with a couple Cruise Critic friends. I will try to post all the menus before I leave the ship this week. I really enjoy the new menus, there seems to be something for all tastes and the variety has changed for the better. The wait staff told me that the passengers really enjoy the new menus.

We are making good time on our way to Old San Juan but we still have 300nm to go. Here are a few pics from today. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to post without a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the nice comments and thanks for tuning in.

Radio

A little more sunny skies, and blue seas

C33.JPG

The sun begins to set and bring another beautiful day to a close. . .

C23A.JPG

Captain Gus greats everyone at the Crown and Anchor Welcome back party.

C24.JPG

I had a great dinner in the My Fair Lady dining room.

C27.JPG

The trio “Wild Fire” was the featured entertainment tonight in the theater

C30.JPG

Our current positon

MAP8.jpg

I will be sailing the same cruise march 9 with my family. So excited, but trying not to get too excited. Lol last year almost this same time, I planned a cruise on this ship and let's say, it never happened! Disappointed kids and I leaving the port because paperwork issues. So I learned I better get insurance and pass card to be safe and cross my fingers we get to sail this go around. Wondering where to find information for the kids like where we will be in the Chesapeake ( where were from) etc.. During our sea days and is there swimming for kids during he cold sea days crossing my fingers! Have fun!

Archived