The Beautiful and Elegant Statendam

califgary

Just off a 14 day Panama SD-FLL on the beautiful and elegant Statendam (just prior to her drydock). Will be writing a lengthly review soon - for now - this was one awesome trip! Embarkation smooth...Stateroom very nice and clean....stateroom stewards AWESOME...dining room staff equally AWESOME. Crew couldnt have been more friendly all the time. We had a code RED during the cruise and everything was handled so well and professionally. Statendam is still well maintained and for an older ship very nice. She is in drydock now for 14 days (as the capt said, in the spa for beauty treatments) - great trip HAL continues to live up to and sometimes exceeds expectations! If anyone has any particular questions dont hesitate to ask!

We were on the Statendam for South Pacific just before your cruise and heartily agree...what a wonderful ship! And a marvelous crew! Sorry about code red; we had no issues. Guess some travelers brought it aboard after we left. An unwelcome holiday surprise!

One question - are photos of the ship going through the locks offered for sale?
When we did this last year, the photographers told me that on every transit they put a team ashore to produce video footage and photos, some from a helicopter. The video that they were showing certainly had other ships that I recognised as having come through the canal with us that day. So you should be able to get photos from your specific transit.

We're going on her in April thru the Canal. One question - are photos of the ship going through the locks offered for sale? Or do I need to let my sons know when we're going through so they can get some screen shots from the Canal webcams? Thanks.

Definitly - the ship photographers actually get off the ship and follow her through the canal taking video and still shots - just make sure to look for them and wave!

We were on the Statendam for South Pacific just before your cruise and heartily agree...what a wonderful ship! And a marvelous crew! Sorry about code red; we had no issues. Guess some travelers brought it aboard after we left. An unwelcome holiday surprise!

We had a few good days right after departure - our first stop was Puerto Vallarta - the code red was called after that - they were thinking someone came on board with it during our first stop - we still had a good few days before the end of the cruise with the "all clear" - the only bummer was no laundry and no hot tubs during this time - but overall a fantastic cruise!

When we did this last year, the photographers told me that on every transit they put a team ashore to produce video footage and photos, some from a helicopter. The video that they were showing certainly had other ships that I recognised as having come through the canal with us that day. So you should be able to get photos from your specific transit.

Definitly - the ship photographers actually get off the ship and follow her through the canal taking video and still shots - just make sure to look for them and wave!

Thanks. I figured they would do that.

We are considering the 28 days Hawaii and South Pacific voyage on the Statendam this year. We were on it five years ago, just to Hawaii, and we liked it very much. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip. I am somewhat concerned with such lenghty stay aboard. Good to know she is going on dry dock. Are the beds still comfortable? I remember how comfortable the beds were, but it has been a few years now. Any advice on shore excursions or places we must see?

WOW.....I was just checking to see if my review has been posted, as of now it has not...BUT the latest review of Statendam is horrible - wow this person really blasted the poor girl..(tubs too tall..really??) ..I sure hope my review will show a much different perspective....

Archived