2013 WC Part 1.

duct tape

So sorry to hear the weather has been so bad for you. As you know,these are some beautiful ports, but bad weather really puts a damper on e mood.

As far as one guest determining the end of an excursion, that is crazy. If she wanted to leave ( not easy where you were, but still!), she should have had to find her own way back to the ship or just shut up.

Once she gathered support it was all over. Let's move on. Yes, ALL guests MUST attend muster, in-transit included. So, lots of catch-up. I have tried but the wonderful SS internet drops me and signs me out! After Raratonga was aborted, at least we had a few days of sun but a cool pool. Bay of Islands was a welcome site. It was a beautiful day and we took the ferry to Russel from Paihia. Captain Chiesa and his wife, Laura, boarded for a visit. He looks great - all slim and tanned. There was local craft fair in the square at the ferry terminal that was full of beautiful local arts. There are such quality goods in this part of the world.

Auckland was another beautiful, sunny day. We docked at Prince's Wharf, not the usual Queen's wharf. It is the wharf to the left of the terminal building, under contruction for a new passenger cruise terminal. We usually have luch at the restaurant in the terminal building was was glad we did not since 2 locals told us it has gone downhill. That was confirmed by crew who went for lunch. We were on a special excursion that went up to Zealandia, the studio and extensive sculpture garden of a local artist. I would highly recommend it. I would not recommend Ransom Wines, service and wine were dismal but the food was very good.

Back to sea to chilly and overcast, our new reality @sea.

Wellington, NZ's capital, always a pleasure. Picture perfect day with lots of clear sunshine and flat seas. The TePapa Museum, one of the best in the southern hemisphere never disappoints. It is Maori with special exhibits. Yesterday it was a collection of European paintings in the collections of New Zealanders. By the way, the other evening we had a local Maori show aboard and it was just about the best local show I have seen in a long time. Nearby the museum was a local market. There were ethnic good trucks representing just about every culture that has relocated here. The fresh market was overflowing with fruits and vegetables that I wanted to bring back and eat for days. Some fruit worked just as well. Also FYI, the food on the ship has been terrific. Ann-Mari has a penchant for spicy cuisines and we are really enjoying it!

Today Akaroa on the Banks Peninsula about an hour outside of Christ Church. There are no organized tours to Christ Church anymore (sigh) since the city has not recovered from the devastation of the earthquakes. It is a fantastic area with easy access to Albatross and penguins. It is a very small town but today it should be jumping...4 cruise ships: us, a Princess, the SB Quest and another very small one. It is still worth a look. We drove out here about 2 yrs ago, from Christ Church, and it is a very exciting (!) (read curvy and hilly) trip. Off to Dunedin tomorrow.

Hi Duct Tape, Currently we have just been battered by Cyclone Oswald - 5 days of intense rain and high winds - Brisbane flooded again ! - now heading down to coast to Sydney. I hope it peters out by the time you get to cross the Tasman Sea !!

Enjoy Dunedin - I love the twilight in summer !

Ann

Once she gathered support it was all over. Let's move on. Yes, ALL guests MUST attend muster, in-transit included. So, lots of catch-up. I have tried but the wonderful SS internet drops me and signs me out! After Raratonga was aborted, at least we had a few days of sun but a cool pool. Bay of Islands was a welcome site. It was a beautiful day and we took the ferry to Russel from Paihia. Captain Chiesa and his wife, Laura, boarded for a visit. He looks great - all slim and tanned. There was local craft fair in the square at the ferry terminal that was full of beautiful local arts. There are such quality goods in this part of the world.

Duct Tape Captain Chiesa one of my favorites. Do you mean he is retired and lives there or.......?

Mary Ann

Dusababy, he retired after the 2007 WC. Laura, his wife, is Maori. They live in Bay of Islands area and in Italy also.

We had a good night and beautiful passage thru the Paveaux Strait last night and this AM. We are not landing on Stewart Island but could for a change. Currently on the SW coast cruising Dusky and Milford Sounds, some of the most gorgeous real estate in the world! Luckily it is too difficult to get to and it is not for sale. Hope we get into Milfored later this afternoon. Things are looking good for the Tasman crossing! Keep you toes and fingers crossed.

Dusababy, he retired after the 2007 WC. Laura, his wife, is Maori. They live in Bay of Islands area and in Italy also.

We had a good night and beautiful passage thru the Paveaux Strait last night and this AM. We are not landing on Stewart Island but could for a change. Currently on the SW coast cruising Dusky and Milford Sounds, some of the most gorgeous real estate in the world! Luckily it is too difficult to get to and it is not for sale. Hope we get into Milfored later this afternoon. Things are looking good for the Tasman crossing! Keep you toes and fingers crossed.

Hope the weather was kind in the beautiful Milford and Doubtful Sounds we have everything crossed for a smooth Tasman crossing.Great to hear Capt Chiesa is enjoying retirement.Best wishes x

Thanks Duct Tape -- I knew Italy but was not aware of part of paradise...happy for them !!

Ah! The Tasman. It could be worse. The fog horn started about 7 AM which makes the pool deck uninhabitable but it doesn't matter since the pool and hottubs have been emptied and netted. The swells are about 4 meters, 14 ft. very good for sleping. There are 4 lectures today, all of interest. We attended an invitational wine tasting this AM which set us on a path for the day so I think it is lunch, more wine and a lovely hot bath while I await Trivia.

hmmm...sometimes it has the opposite effect! The Tasman crossing was uneventful, chilly, sun in, sun out, choppy sea, calm sea, choppy sea, etc. Pool filled, pool emptied, pool filled and so it continues. Arrived into Hobart, Tasmania, this AM to some sun and lots of breeze. It was VERY early since immigration wanted to do a face-to-face @ 07:30! I think the TSA/USA is training the whole world to be as inconvenient as we (USA) have become. Anyway, lots of folks on tours. We wandered over to the Saturday market in Salamanca, across the little bridge. Great crowds, handicrafts, some true artisans, lots of music and food trucks. Very pleasant few hours. Left port @ 2PM to go pick up the day-trippers at the convict prison and fortress at the southern tip. Then off to Sydney.

Have just disembarked Silver Whisper in Sydney after two segments of the World Cruise which I very much enjoyed. A nice civilised crowd of passengers and especially nice to meet Duct Tape!!! Everything in the Food and Beverage department of the very highest order, with immaculate and correct service at all times. I will post a full review in due course, but my interim conclusion is that SS are vastly superior to Seabourn.

Hope you arrived safely, philipb. We had a nice evening together but I wish it could have been longer! A lovely man. As he said, yesterday was Sydney. What is not to LOVE about Sydney??! The weather was spectacular and there is so much to do and see. We rode the ferry, rolled around Darling Harbour, over to Luna Park and Circular Key. Actually ran into a friend on the street! Had a fab lunch @ Rockpool and struggled back to the ship. My other half came up with a brilliant idea for dinner last night - the ship was sailing out @ 7PM...hhmmmm...why not have a table set up aft on the Terrazza veranda and sup and dine while sailing out past all the iconic pieces of Sydney, under the Bridge and through the Heads! Sunset over Sydney, doesn't get much better!

Hope you arrived safely, philipb. We had a nice evening together but I wish it could have been longer! A lovely man. As he said, yesterday was Sydney. What is not to LOVE about Sydney??! The weather was spectacular and there is so much to do and see. We rode the ferry, rolled around Darling Harbour, over to Luna Park and Circular Key. Actually ran into a friend on the street! Had a fab lunch @ Rockpool and struggled back to the ship. My other half came up with a brilliant idea for dinner last night - the ship was sailing out @ 7PM...hhmmmm...why not have a table set up aft on the Terrazza veranda and sup and dine while sailing out past all the iconic pieces of Sydney, under the Bridge and through the Heads! Sunset over Sydney, doesn't get much better!

Fabulous idea!!!

.... the ship was sailing out @7PM...hhmmmm...why not have a table set up aft on the Terrazza veranda and sup and dine while sailing out past all the iconic pieces of Sydney, under the Bridge and through the Heads! Sunset over Sydney, doesn't get much better!

PERFECT ! Hope you got some good photos Susan.

Best wishes for the rest of the cruise.

Ann

Archived