concern - Flu

Watson's aunt

Hi

I know most cruises are worried about the Noro virus. Now watching the News every state in the U S has the flu and its pretty bad in each state. I have not heard any break outs of the flu on board any ships. Are you concerned. I am not planning to do a cruise. People with health concerns I know I would be concerned. What happens when to get to ship's terminal if someone in you party is not feeling well. Maybe a 24 bug, food poisioning,noro,flu you don't know what it is. What do you doing? you paid thousands of dollars for this trip. You don't want anyone else get this. Will the ship give you back your money? Or do you just go on board and hope its only the 24 bug. I know people say they will not board but I wonder how many people will not stay off the ship.

Now with the flu We know it has to be on board. It will only take one or two people being sick before most of the ship having it before its over.

are you concerned since it is everywhere in US. I have heard this flu is a bad strain and people who get it a really sick with it. I know because of my medicial history I will not be taking any cruises even though I looking for a sale on cruises in late January-February

Mary

This is one reason everyone should purchase travel insurance unless they are willing to forfeit what they have paid for their cruise if they cannot take the cruise. So many don't, saying they are healthy and have no pre-existing conditions so there is no reason for them to have insurance. The flu can hit anyone regardless of age and previous health and can get serious very quickly. There is always the chance you could get put off the ship for medical treatment in a foreign country and if you do have the flu you are not going to enjoy your cruise anyway.

Before you embark you fill out a medical form saying you are not sick. Of course some people lie and board anyway. Regardless, the cruise line is NOT going to reimburse you a penny if you are sick and cannot take your cruise. That's why you buy insurance. All you would need to collect on the insurance is a letter from a doctor that you are sick and could not cruise.

The best thing a person can do is get the flu shot, wash your hands frequently cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and pray that the more virulent strain which seems to be the one the media is focused on, doesn't hit you. You can also hope that passengers who already don't feel 100% before they board make the decision to see a physician before they travel rather than bring their illness aboard ship, and even that's not a guarantee. :(

Only thing you can really do is get a flu shot and wash your hands as much as you do as a normal Noro precautions.

As I understand it, the ships don't report flu to the CDC, so we will not really know the numbers of those with the flu. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Washing your hands is always a good idea to prevent illness, but respiratory illnesses such as this flu virus it is mostly spread through the air. We can all cover our mouths and noses if we cough or sneeze to prevent spreading our germs, but we have no control what others near us might do which makes it almost impossible not to breath in germs if someone else sneezes or coughs near us. I think I read the other day you are in danger from as far away as 6'.

Canadian hospitals are treating this flu with massive doses of antibiotics.

I'm not doubting you at all. I just would like to know where you're getting this information.

Also, wondering if it's true that the ship's dodn't have to report flu cases to the CDC? Localady, how do you know this?

First - Buy Insurance. Second - Get the Flue shot. No cruise ship can stock the number of antibiotics to curb this flu strain. Canadian hospitals are treating this flu with massive doses of antibiotics.

Antibiotics do nothing for the flu virus.

I guess if I was prone to catching the flu or had some kind of health issues the last thing I'd be considering was a cruise during the peak of the flu season even for a bargain.

Randy,

Most respectfully, :) I'm not sure I agree with this.

I know many healthy 65 year olds who may not have been stricken with Influenza in the last 25 years. Should they not cruise for 3 months out of the winter each year? :confused:

What is 'prone to chatching the flu'? Last time I had a full fledge, awful flu was 1969........ that means nothing about whether I may get it this year.

City of Boston declared a medical emergency because of the high incidence of influenza in MA right now. Everywhere one goes, we hear coughing, sneezing, wheezing and ER's are packed full.

Some of us book cruises a year in advance......... should we not have?

Antibiotics do nothing for the flu virus.

For Flu, you are right antibiotics are not effective. However, this flu has led to many bacterial infections in form of bronchtis and pneumonia for which they are very effective treatment.

Randy,

Most respectfully, :) I'm not sure I agree with this.

I know many healthy 65 year olds who may not have been stricken with Influenza in the last 25 years. Should they not cruise for 3 months out of the winter each year? :confused:

What is 'prone to chatching the flu'? Last time I had a full fledge, awful flu was 1969........ that means nothing about whether I may get it this year.

City of Boston declared a medical emergency because of the high incidence of influenza in MA right now. Everywhere one goes, we hear coughing, sneezing, wheezing and ER's are packed full.

Some of us book cruises a year in advance......... should we not have?

I think I'd rather take my chances sitting on my veranda as we cruise the Mexican Riviera than sitting in an large office building in Boston or any other large City in the US in the next week or so! I personally will probably avoid the shows (unless it is someone I love) and lido at rush hour. :cool:

I think I'd rather take my chances sitting on my veranda as we cruise the Mexican Riviera than sitting in an large office building in Boston or any other large City in the US in the next week or so! I personally will probably avoid the shows (unless it is someone I love) and lido at rush hour. :cool:

Sounds like a plan to me, Sher. Wish we were on the veranda beside you. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

And stay healthy.......

Hi

What happens when to get to ship's terminal if someone in you party is not feeling well. Maybe a 24 bug' date=' food poisioning,noro,flu you don't know what it is. What do you doing? you paid thousands of dollars for this trip. You don't want anyone else get this. Will the ship give you back your money?

Mary[/quote']

It is called travel insurance.

I never travel without insurance. I also get the flu shot every year. A lot of people who got the flu shot is still getting it. Boston hospitals are full. So are other states on news last night every state is reporting a high rate and colored red. If I had the flu there is no way I would go on a cruise. I would be stuck in a hotel room for how long. I mean if I got on a plane I would affect everyone not sick with the flu. My hotel room will affect the poor next person that entered it. they could clean it but those pillows would have all those germs.

I was just wondering if someone in your party was ill and got to the desk would they tell? I mean how does one know if it is a 24 bug or something else. If your getting over a cold and just have some effects

Mary

Sounds like a plan to me, Sher. Wish we were on the veranda beside you. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

And stay healthy.......

Thanks Sails we intend too! I do plan to use all my anti-Noro precautions, as well as a bit of prayer ;)

I too hope Capt. Mercer recovers soon, he is such a dear man as well as wonderful Captain!

Airborn, contact and droplet. Those are things to worry about. No matter what it is.

If you and those with you are careful, there should not be a big problem. Some older folks (say 80 +) are more prone to have difficulties. That happens with any respiratory or gastrointestinal things. One should not always assume that noro is the problem.

Everyone who cares should purchased a small hand sanitizer dispenser. You can wash your hands a lot, but if you touch an elevator button or something like that, then you can get it.

Not everyone can get the flu shot due to allergies. If most people do, then the risk is minimized.

Jim

The Flu is everywhere in public places are you also going to stay out of supermarkets, banks, schools, malls, airports, libraries, theaters, restaurants, medical offices :eek:, big box stores, hair salons, etc??

Funny you should ask :) but yes, at the moment, with the terrible epidemic of Influenza in Boston right now I am adjusting where and when I go places. We are not going out to dinner as much, I am going to grocery stores at times I expect they'll be the least busy and if someone is sneezing or coughing in the aisle I was headed down, I turn around.

Of course, if we get it, we get it but we sure can do our best to try and avoid it. We don't have to go to crowded restaurant tonight so we'll eat home. I did the drive in for my banking today.

When we were 35, we thought about it differently than we do now that we are older. It's the seniors and the young children that have the highest risk of complications of flu.

Certainly the worst place to go is our doctor's office. :eek::D

I'm not doubting you at all. I just would like to know where you're getting this information.

Also, wondering if it's true that the ship's dodn't have to report flu cases to the CDC? Localady, how do you know this?

From one of Canada's National TV Networks - Global TV. They never exagerate or try to sensationalize like Fox News in U.S.A.

Archived