Cheer me up! Just canceled our fos cruise

Cheer me up. I just canceled my FOS cruise for 1/27/13. I caught a virus and under the Dr advice was told to cancel. I would never step foot on a ship feeling like this. Not fair to other PAX and I would only spent the week in the cabin.

Stay healthy everyone!

Wow, thank you for taking the advice of the doctor. I am not booked on your cancelled sailing, but will be aboard the Oasis at the same time. I have been extremely careful to try to avoid situations where I might contract a virus for the past few weeks, but hey, you still have to shop, take care of business, etc., so have practiced the fine art of hand washing (to an extreme!) and using hand sanitizer at every turn so that I don't have to cancel my trip or possibly ruin anyone else's.

I do feel so sorry for you, but also hope that everyone else in your shoes does the same for the rest of us.

p.s. when you do re-book your cancelled trip, I hope that it's awesome!!:D:D

I admire your integrity but I'm sorry to say you should have gone. Virus will be gone by then. It's over a week away!! I would not have given you that advice.

You may consider a new doctor.

I admire your integrity but I'm sorry to say you should have gone. Virus will be gone by then. It's over a week away!! I would not have given you that advice.

I do agree with your statement to some degree, but . . .

Just spoke with someone who is just now feeling almost normal after his bout with one of the strains going around and it is now WEEK SIX.:eek:

Some nasty flu going around.

I agree. Chances are the OP will be perfectly fine long before the cruise

Interesting, I can't get my doctor to make a diagnosis over the phone, let alone over the internet.

To the OP, feel better soon. :)

I had to cancel recently too. I was supposed to be on Brilliance on 1/5, but rather than being in the sunny Southern Caribbean, I was in cold CT. I was not happy. But, the good news is I transferred the booking to the Freedom for 1/5/14 and now instead of being bummed that my cruise is over, I have a whole year to look forward to the next one. Just trying to stay positive. Life gets in the way sometimes :).

Chris

OP, sorry you are unwell and I do hope you feel better and can cruise very soon. However, indeed your cruise was 10 days away... not sure I would have cancelled either. :( :o Would you be willing to elaborate on your condition? I know it's personal but you did bring it up...

Bless you.

Cheer me up. I just canceled my FOS cruise for 1/27/13. I caught a virus and under the Dr advice was told to cancel. I would never step foot on a ship feeling like this. Not fair to other PAX and I would only spent the week in the cabin.

Stay healthy everyone!

Please be comforted with the knowledge that you will be giving yourself the opportunity to get better and also that you won't be passing this virus along to other passengers. May you be blessed with good health in future!

Interesting, I can't get my doctor to make a diagnosis over the phone, let alone over the internet.

I have to say I agree with Dr. D. He did not make the dx. The OP's physician did. I believe he is merely implying that it is not the normal course of action for a doctor to advise a patient to cancel a vacation 10 days out because of a virus. Unless you've got Ebola, there's a good chance you'll be feeling much better by then. And the likelihood that you'll be contagious is quite questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would he suggest to people whom he does not even know that they find new physicians? Funny thing, I've had people with viruses end up with viral pneumonias and intubated in the ICU. You never know how someone's other medical issues will affect a viral infection. And I sure don't know what those issues are with someone posting on a cruise board. But I suspect that her personal physician might.

I have to say I agree with Dr. D. He did not make the dx. The OP's physician did. I believe he is merely implying that it is not the normal course of action for a doctor to advise a patient to cancel a vacation 10 days out because of a virus. Unless you've got Ebola, there's a good chance you'll be feeling much better by then. And the likelihood that you'll be contagious is quite questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, he only suggested getting a new doctor because of the diagnosis.

Would he suggest to people whom he does not even know that they find new physicians? Funny thing, I've had people with viruses end up with viral pneumonias and intubated in the ICU.

Nope, don't think he would do that either.;)

Maybe, just maybe, the OP's doctor knows her medical history and decided it makes sense to cancel.

Me too. I was supposed to board Enchantment in Baltimore on Monday. I was in Baltimore Saturday and Sunday...on Sunday I came down with the virus...stayed the night and took the train back home on Monday morning instead of boarding the ship. Like you, I felt it would not be fair to board a cruise ship while being ill. I have seen my doctor and feel more comfortable being home. There will be another cruise in the future.

Maria, we will miss having you on the Freedom of the Seas with us! I do hope you are feeling better soon, as I was looking forward to finally meeting you.

Hawaii might be a decent consolation vacation when you fully recover!

At least you will have an extra week to read pages and pages of posts speculating and second guessing your very understandable and well informed decision...oh...wait...you wanted members to cheer you up. ;)

Get well soon. I hope to meet you on a cruise in the not too distant future. In the mean time, when we are at the informal Meet & Mingle, I will raise a glass in your honor! Any preferences for that cocktail?

Eric

...I've had people with viruses end up with viral pneumonias and intubated in the ICU. You never know how someone's other medical issues will affect a viral infection. And I sure don't know what those issues are with someone posting on a cruise board. But I suspect that her personal physician might.

Touché, and well said.

OP, please forgive my earlier remark. :(

I am so sorry, I know how disappointed you must be, before any of our cruises, I give my kids vitamins, wet wipes, etc. I will say we all got the flu and or flu like symptoms, and we all were sick for two to three wks. So, with that going around I'm glad you didn't go and ruin your fun, now you can be thinking of another cruise to go on, be happy, maybe you weren't suppose to go on that cruise.

Well get a better one. I advise patients over e-mail and especially the phone commonly.

Although my situation is a perhaps a bit different.

Would he suggest to people whom he does not even know that they find new physicians? Funny thing, I've had people with viruses end up with viral pneumonias and intubated in the ICU. You never know how someone's other medical issues will affect a viral infection. And I sure don't know what those issues are with someone posting on a cruise board. But I suspect that her personal physician might.

Ok that's true.

I assumed the OP would have said more if there was more to be said, but perhaps not.

Based on what the OP did say I think it's a huge over reaction.

The GI bug going around now is not ICU material.

Certainly though it's possible there's more to the story than the OP told us, like immunosuppression for example.

One should understand though that may docs are over worried about liability, and will base a decision on that more than other factors. Such decisions are also sometimes made based more on style or personal opinions. It's quite likely another doc would have said something different.

I wish the OP a swift recovery and continue to appreciate her/his willingness to follow advice, wish all of my patients were that good!

If this happens to someone, PLEASE get a second opinion.

Archived