Is it OK for a woman to wear a hat to dinner, presumably as part of her outfit?

cruisegirl1

On a recent 7 night cruise the lady at the dinner table next to us wore a stylish fedora 3 or 4 evenings. The other evening she wore no hat and had a full head of hair so I’ll go out on a limb and say the hat was not for religious or medial reasons and was just for a fashion statement.

I thought she looked adorable and mentioned her look to my husband. He then asked me why I had a different standard for men wearing hats (I generally think sport caps) in the dining room than for women, and actually suggested I ask the “boards” . Perhaps he caught me in a double standard!

So – I asked this group - Is it OK for a woman to wear a fashion hat to/during dinner, presumably as part of her outfit.

Please don’t get off track with men in hats (that has been done to death) or hats for religious reasons or to cover up medical issues.

Thanks

M

Hat Etiquette for Women -

Indoors - A formal hat can be worn indoors by women for social or business situations. Hats worn for warmth should be removed indoors.

Unisex Hats - If a woman wears a baseball cap or man's hat, she should observe the male rule of etiquette and take it off during the National Anthem, procession of the flag in a parade or during a funeral procession.

Evening Wear - According to the Red Hat Society, wear wide-brimmed hats early in the day for deflecting sunlight and a more vertical (brimless) look for the evening.

Traditionally, in Western culture, women may wear hats indoors, men may not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

Then there's the Fascinator..... now whether or not that's a desirable fashion accessory I will leave for others to discuss.....

Just one of our weird, completely logic-free cultural things. Women in hats at dinner - stylish, sophisticated. Men in hats at dinner - uncouth pigs who don't know any better.:rolleyes:

Another one that comes to mind - women can be in a skimpy dress with knees, shoulders and arms bare to the world and be considered "formal". For men, to be "formal" they must be completely covered, and in a coat no less!

Just one of our weird, completely logic-free cultural things. Women in hats at dinner - stylish, sophisticated. Men in hats at dinner - uncouth pigs who don't know any better.:rolleyes:

Another one that comes to mind - women can be in a skimpy dress with knees, shoulders and arms bare to the world and be considered "formal". For men, to be "formal" they must be completely covered, and in a coat no less!

I'd have more sympathy for the poor guys if they had to wear stiletto heels with their formal attire ;)

I wear stylish dressy hats often. It is perfectly acceptable according to the most strict dress codes. Due to health reasons and having lost my hair it was helpful for me to feel normal.

No one should determine why one is wearing a hat. You just may not know.

Not talking baseball caps here...

Except for we Scots and those that are like us.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=327742197303987&set=t.100002046287774&type=3&theater

The real question is why anyone would question it. Or care.

Was she a nice person?

No one questioned it – in fact it looked very stylish.

We never meet. The way the tables were laid out, their table was behind ours. I should have walked over and told her how adorable she looked in her hats.

Funny on New Year’s Eve, she was not wearing any hat. RCCL gave out hats, and she didn’t wear one!

M

On a recent 7 night cruise the lady at the dinner table next to us wore a stylish fedora 3 or 4 evenings. The other evening she wore no hat and had a full head of hair so I’ll go out on a limb and say the hat was not for religious or medial reasons and was just for a fashion statement.

I thought she looked adorable and mentioned her look to my husband. He then asked me why I had a different standard for men wearing hats (I generally think sport caps) in the dining room than for women, and actually suggested I ask the “boards” . Perhaps he caught me in a double standard!

So – I asked this group - Is it OK for a woman to wear a fashion hat to/during dinner, presumably as part of her outfit.

Please don’t get off track with men in hats (that has been done to death) or hats for religious reasons or to cover up medical issues.

Thanks

M

No one questioned it – in fact it looked very stylish.

We never meet. The way the tables were laid out, their table was behind ours. I should have walked over and told her how adorable she looked in her hats.

Funny on New Year’s Eve, she was not wearing any hat. RCCL gave out hats, and she didn’t wear one!

M

I guess you are right. Since there was no question mark in the op it wasn't a question.:confused:

Absolutely.

Then there's the Fascinator..... now whether or not that's a desirable fashion accessory I will leave for others to discuss.....

For the love of God, PLEASE don't come to dinner in this.......

XPOSURE_EUGENIE_BEATRICE5.jpg

:confused::eek:

For the love of God, PLEASE don't come to dinner in this.......

XPOSURE_EUGENIE_BEATRICE5.jpg

:confused::eek:

Why'd you have to go and do that?

We Brits have had the Jubilee and the Olympics and had plenty to be proud of in 2012 and you go and bring up what was a national laughing stock..... have you seen what the German press have had to say about these two just today? I am so so sorry.

Absolutely.

I am willing to bet a lot of people on this board have no idea what a fascinator is but I do and I love the look,LOL.;):cool:

I wear stylish dressy hats often. It is perfectly acceptable according to the most strict dress codes. Due to health reasons and having lost my hair it was helpful for me to feel normal.

No one should determine why one is wearing a hat. You just may not know.

Not talking baseball caps here...

and why not baseball caps then if I am a bald man??? double standards here???

I would question: why do you need to wear a hat in the first place? The lady is on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. Style aside, you don't need to protect your hair from the elements when you are indoors. Just my opinion.

and why not baseball caps then if I am a bald man??? double standards here???

I was speaking of women and yes you are right, it seems there is a double standard I suppose, yet baseball caps are casual where as womens dress hats would be more akin to a mans dress hat, which he would generally remove once in public.

I know those days are gone.

It's a discussion, I'll still like you in your baseball cap.

I would question: why do you need to wear a hat in the first place? The lady is on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. Style aside, you don't need to protect your hair from the elements when you are indoors. Just my opinion.

Opinions should all be welcome, but I would ask why do you have to were a ring or necklace? It's a fashion statement is all.

Why'd you have to go and do that?

We Brits have had the Jubilee and the Olympics and had plenty to be proud of in 2012 and you go and bring up what was a national laughing stock..... have you seen what the German press have had to say about these two just today? I am so so sorry.

I do sincerely apologise for bringing back the memories of that wonderful occasion only to be ruined by the sight of those ugly sisters.

My only positive thoughts are that they will be bumped down another place to the throne in a few months time. Phew!

No, what did the German press say?

I am willing to bet a lot of people on this board have no idea what a fascinator is but I do and I love the look,LOL.;):cool:

For those that don't know what a fascinator is, it most definitely isn't in any way anything like the picture i posted. Those are more Christmas decorations.

Better off googling Ascot for a better example. :D

Archived