Dress Code for Dinner

TaylorMace

We are cruising in February with a couple friend of ours.

For formal nights, I"m planning on wearing a suite and my friend will wear slacks and a jacket

For non formal nights - what do most people wear

slacks and polo

slacks and button down shirt

Does anyone wear jeans or shorts to dinner on non formal nights? I will not and I don't think my friend will, especially if I tell him on CC they say it is a nono

The wives are a non issue - both are beautiful and will look great every night

Look forward to responses

Slacks and a polo or slacks and a button down will both be fine. That would put you in the norm of what everyone else is wearing. You will indeed see jeans and maybe even shorts in the MDR but you're not really supposed to. Seems its up to the staff to turn those people away and it doesn't happen very often.

If you're going to wear your entire suite on formal nights you might have trouble making your way down to the dining room! :D

There were quite a few gentlemen in jeans on non-formal nights, though I can't recall seeing anyone in shorts, but won't be surprised if someone has a picture to prove otherwise. It's up to DR staff to enforce the rules, and they are not very consistent in this regard.

We were just on the Coral and Island, and they had a sign on the posted menu that no shorts were allowed in the MDR. I don't know if it was enforced, but I believe they were serious.

That said, they did allow dress shirt and slacks in the MDR on formal nights. They prefer long sleeves, but some wore short sleeves.

For formal nights, I"m planning on wearing a suite and my friend will wear slacks and a jacket

slacks and polo

Does anyone wear jeans or shorts to dinner on non formal nights? I will not and I don't think my friend will, especially if I tell him on CC they say it is a nono

A suit and tie are fine for formal nights and you nailed the informal wear as well. A nice pair of slacks and collared shirt will be fine. We've done a few Princess cruises and I have not seen anyone in denim (blue) jeans though I have seen nice Black "dress" jeans that were in nice shape. No one said a word nor should they. However, no shorts and no denim blue jeans are usaually allowed. Don't worry too much about it and just have fun.!!!

Cheers, Kenn

PS on the first night all bets are off as not all folks will have gotten their luggage. You'll see every kind of clothes that night!!

There were quite a few gentlemen in jeans on non-formal nights, though I can't recall seeing anyone in shorts, but won't be surprised if someone has a picture to prove otherwise. It's up to DR staff to enforce the rules, and they are not very consistent in this regard.
Jeans are allowed on "smart casual" nights although in my experience, few wear them. They're not violating anything by wearing jeans. The dress code is a request, not a rule. Just as one is requested to wear a particular style of dress for a wedding or event.

Princess allows jeans, no issue at all on non-formal nights as long as they're not falling apart. But no shorts

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

slacks and polo

Perfect.

Nice slacks and a dress shirt seems to be the minimum for formal nights for guys. Most men seem to wear either tuxes or suits and ties, at least on the cruises I've been on. I've seen kilts and military formal too.

My hubby usually wears tropical shirts and slacks for smart casual nights.

I would avoid wearing shorts to the MDR at dinner, just in case the dress code was being enforced. Other venues such as the Horizon, the pizzeria, etc., are okay with shorts.

I did bring a pair of nice black skinny jeans on our cruise last month (it was cool on the first couple and last couple of days), and did wear them to the first dinner and didn't feel out of place at all. But I did pair it with a nice pullover sweater.

Nice slacks and a dress shirt seems to be the minimum for formal nights for guys. Most men seem to wear either tuxes or suits and ties' date=' at least on the cruises I've been on. [b']I've seen kilts and military formal too.[/b]

I have seen some wonderful forms of formal wear such as Saris and Kimonos and that goes for any of the diverse traditional formal wear from various countries. For Smart Casual, think of what would be acceptable for dining in a nice restuarant in your particular country. For Formal night, think of going to a formal occasion and what would be appropriate there.:D

A suit and tie are fine for formal nights and you nailed the informal wear as well. A nice pair of slacks and collared shirt will be fine. We've done a few Princess cruises and I have not seen anyone in denim (blue) jeans though I have seen nice Black "dress" jeans that were in nice shape. No one said a word nor should they. However, no shorts and no denim blue jeans are usaually allowed. Don't worry too much about it and just have fun.!!!

Cheers, Kenn

PS on the first night all bets are off as not all folks will have gotten their luggage. You'll see every kind of clothes that night!!

Do you mean you don't have your luggage by dinner time? That's scary to think about.

A suit and tie is fine and a jacket with open collar will work generally speaking. During the causal nights at least wear slacks and a nice shirt (polo or regular). If you eat in the Horizon Court then jeans will be okay. On the first night the MDR dress is normally re-lacked.

Do you mean you don't have your luggage by dinner time? That's scary to think about.
Only once out of all of my cruises, and this was over a decade ago, has my luggage not arrived before pre-dinner drinks. With the printed luggage tags and bar codes, luggage distribution is MUCH faster. I've even had it be delivered 10 minutes after boarding. It's unusual not to have your luggage. I suspect many use this as an excuse not to change for dinner.

It's theoretically possible for those people who have dinner early, although I've only ever gotten my bag after sailaway one time; the rest of the time, it's been there well before muster or, once, very shortly thereafter.

It's theoretically possible for those people who have dinner early, although I've only ever gotten my bag after sailaway one time; the rest of the time, it's been there well before muster or, once, very shortly thereafter.

I suppose it always depends on what time you check in your luggage and board, but we generally board before noon and the luggage is there in the cabin before 3pm on every occasion.:D

With the printed luggage tags and bar codes, luggage distribution is MUCH faster.

The bar codes are not used.

However, the printed cabin number probably makes distribution faster than the old hard written cabin numbers did.

slacks and polo

Minimum for men on formal night in the MDR is slacks and long sleeved dress shirt sans tie. You will see everything from tux to suit to sport coat to no coat with/without ties.

Men wear jeans on all other nights. If you are cruising out of Galveston, most men will wear jeans as well as many females. Jeans are something we wear in this area of the country most of the time.

Princess allows jeans, no issue at all on non-formal nights as long as they're not falling apart. But no shorts

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

On the Ruby in Nov we had a couple of tables (I think a wedding party) with guys who wore long short, sandals and baseball caps backwards. The girls they were with dressed nicely, so I suppose they were allowed in. I don't get riled up about the dress code but those backward baseball hats should have come off.

So, the dress code is enforced differently depending on the staff and the situation.

My 12-year-old son was denied to enter the MDR because my Carnival spoiled DW insisted he could wear shorts. It was on Caribbean Princess last month.

DW did not pack my suite either. So my only option was blue jeans/polo shirt for non-formal nights and slacks/long sleeved shirt plus tie for formal nights. I entered MDR without any problem.

However, the printed cabin number probably makes distribution faster than the old hard written cabin numbers did.
With the way some people scribbled their names and cabin, it was probably a miracle they got their luggage. It was as though they didn't want their luggage to arrive.

As Pam said after mine, it's unusual but does happen. On our cruise frm Vancouver to FLL through the Panama Canal, we didn't get all of our luggage until around 8 that night. No biggie as it got there. Probably won't happen to you but it could

Cheers, Kenn

Archived