LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Mission accomplished. As soon as the shuttle reached the terminal, I knew exactly where to find the supermarket. For those who have not been here, exit the shuttle, walk out the terminal exit and walk to your left. Look up and see the large signs JUMBO and EASY. They are together in one place. Jumbo is like a super Walmart and Easy is a Home Depot. There's also a large pharmacy there too. I did get my diet Pepsi in cute cylindrical cans; a ten pack. That will keep me happy. I didn't need wine, so passed on that. Mike needed chocolate; got it.

Gloria, I have the only carpeted balcony. It's astroturf.

Mission accomplished. As soon as the shuttle reached the terminal, I knew exactly where to find the supermarket. For those who have not been here, exit the shuttle, walk out the terminal exit and walk to your left. Look up and see the large signs JUMBO and EASY. They are together in one place. Jumbo is like a super Walmart and Easy is a Home Depot. There's also a large pharmacy there too. I did get my diet Pepsi in cute cylindrical cans; a ten pack. That will keep me happy. I didn't need wine, so passed on that. Mike needed chocolate; got it.

That is a great place to shop. We restocked wine and other essentials at Jumbo when we decided to stay on the Star another 11 days to return to BA after the Chilean Earthquake. The pharmacy was a lifesaver for DW because she was able to purchase a medication there that the Star was unable to supply for her. We now bring significantly more medication than required on cruises "just in case".

Our friends had water problems on their balcony on the Island last month. There was water outside on the balcony door and floor every morning and it leaked into the cabin as far as four feet from the door. It took almost a week, three trips to Passenger Services and taking up the carpet by the balcony door twice before they were able to seal under the door, stop the leak and dry out the cabin carpet. They sent a gift of a bottle of "champagne" (the cheap stuff) and chocolate covered strawberries. They don't like strawberries so we were invited over to share the "champagne" :rolleyes: and strawberries :). Glad you were able to get your leak issue solved. I wonder where the water comes from on certain balconies :confused:

Hello Pia,

I am following along and feel as if I'm there with you! How exciting to sail around South America. Loving your review, your knowledge and history of the ports you visit amaze me.

We are booked on the Royal for the Sept. 13th Meditteranean cruise and look forward to meeting you!

Wonder if the pharmacy sells Voltarin as that would help your ankle, cant wait to pick up another tube in Europe :D:D

Glad you got your pepsi...No polo shirt for Mike:eek:

Hello Pia,

I am following along and feel as if I'm there with you! How exciting to sail around South America. Loving your review, your knowledge and history of the ports you visit amaze me.

We are booked on the Royal for the Sept. 13th Meditteranean cruise and look forward to meeting you!

You should stay on for the TA and meet lots more of us Pia followers:D:D:D

Wonder if the pharmacy sells Voltarin as that would help your ankle, cant wait to pick up another tube in Europe :D:D

Glad you got your pepsi...No polo shirt for Mike:eek:

Me too! Need more Voltaren and hope to get it in Bacelona!

Enjoying your posts Pia. Wonderful to travel along with you ;) I hope the ankle feels better.

You should stay on for the TA and meet lots more of us Pia followers:D:D:D

I would have loved to but I had already booked a BI cruise preceeding the Royal and RT airfare. With the cost of all the excursions, transfers, 2 days pre-cruise in London and 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona plus overnights each in Venice and London (post cruise)my budget couldn't handle anymore:eek::D

28valpomap_zps8b433eaa.jpg

Itinerary

DatePortArriveDepart

Wed 27/02/13Valparaiso / Chile 18:00

Thu 28/02/13Coquimbo / Chile 07:0018:00

Fri 01/03/13At Sea

Sat 02/03/13At Sea

Sun 03/03/13Callao (Lima) / Peru 12:00

Mon 04/03/13Callao (Lima) / Peru 14:00

Tue 05/03/13At Sea

Wed 06/03/13Manta / Ecuador 05:3019:00

Thu 07/03/13At Sea

Fri 08/03/13Puntarenas / Costa Rica 07:0019:00

Sat 09/03/13San Juan del Sur / Nicaragua 07:0018:00

Sun 10/03/13At Sea

Mon 11/03/13At Sea

Tue 12/03/13At Sea

Wed 13/03/13 Cabo San Lucas / Mexico 08:0017:00

Thu 14/03/13At Sea

Fri 15/03/13At Sea

Sat 16/03/13 San Francisco / USA 07:00

I would have loved to but I had already booked a BI cruise preceeding the Royal and RT airfare. With the cost of all the excursions, transfers, 2 days pre-cruise in London and 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona plus overnights each in Venice and London (post cruise)my budget couldn't handle anymore:eek::D

I'm with you. I would live on cruise ships if I had the money.:D

Getting pharmaceuticals 'round the world is a hit & miss thing isn't it? In Queensland (Aust) we can get Voltaran in our pharmacies 'over the counter' and in Bali same thing - and in neither place is the cost anywhere near $100.00. Didn't realise it wasn't readily available in the US.

I have just added a small tube of Voltaran to my cruise 'medicine list'. No wonder I end up with excess baggage:o

SharonW

:)Am able to get Voltaren Gel from my local Walgreens with a script. Costs close to $100,00 for 3 100 g tubes. Hope you are able to get your supply.

when we were in Barcelona in 2011 we were able to get Voltaren gel for 3 euro and some change a tube at a pharmacia.

What is in this 'wonder cream' that seems to be sold OTC in some countries and behind in others. Sounds like the miracle drug! I understand that it will somehow med Pia's foot, so it must be a pain killer perhaps or an anti-inflammatory?

Inquiring minds want to know! Thank you so much!

What is in this 'wonder cream' that seems to be sold OTC in some countries and behind in others. Sounds like the miracle drug! I understand that it will somehow med Pia's foot, so it must be a pain killer perhaps or an anti-inflammatory?

I would like to know about this wonder cream as well, is it for pain , or swelling or ?? have not heard of this before. Thanks :)

Pia: am enjoying all your posts , thanks so much.

Cori

I would like to know about this wonder cream as well, is it for pain , or swelling or ?? have not heard of this before. Thanks :)

Pia: am enjoying all your posts , thanks so much.

Cori

Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as are aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen. It appears to be more popular outside of the US.

Inquiring minds will go to this website http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

"Voltaren® Gel is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for the relief of joint pain of osteoarthritis in the knees, ankles, feet, elbows, wrists, and hands. Voltaren Gel has not been studied for use on the spine, hip, or shoulder."

Be sure to read the warnings.

So, yesterday was supposed to be 80 and sunny. It was foggy and damp and perhaps 65. But the sun did come out at 5:00 PM. Today’s weather forecast is again sunny, with a high of 70. That sounds more feasible. We had set the alarm for 7:30 this morning, but at 6:45 music started. Loud music. There is a 5 man band outside our window; with amplifiers. And singers. It is still dark out there. What I can see is an accordionist and several guitarists. Pretty funny to be serenaded at this hour.

Good morning from Coquimbo, gateway to La Serena. This area’s land is very fruitful. Literally. Its fruit is shipped from Coquimbo throughout the country and elsewhere. You can also sample this region’s grapes, so popular in Pisco; Chile’s national drink. This region, also known for its silver and copper has Spanish roots dating back to 1544. At that time (La Serena) was established to facilitate communications with Peru overland and by sea. The city was popular with missionaries traveling throughout Chile and more than 29 churches and convents are still standing.

We visited this area several years ago and recall La Serena being a very easy city to navigate on foot. We however, are not quite the same, so will probably go a bit slower this time. There’s a great market here and also the Pisco distillery which of course we visited on our last trip. Princess is running a shuttle at $10/pp RT and we will most likely take it and meander about on our own. Unstructured. It’s approx. a 30 minute ride each way.

BTW, most people when they hear Pisco, think of the Pisco sour which is made with lemon juice. This area makes the Serena Sour and they substitute lemon juice with papaya juice. I won’t drink either.

Last night we did in fact see the movie Butter. Silly no brainer and rated R. Very R. There were quite a few people walking out when the language got too much for them. We sat in the front row. LOL

If you stay on board today the only thing to do is see The Hunger Games at 1:15. Tonight’s entertainment is a singer (Tony B.) in the theater, comic Tim Walkoe (we’ve seen him before) in Vista and Pitch Perfect on MUTS. Another choice might also be The Bridges of Madison County on TV. Decision will be made around dinner time.

Robin: be sure to introduce yourself

Julia and Marcia: I already travel with Voltaren. What, you thought that wasn’t a part of my hospital? :)

Julia: No polo. The country of Chile hasn’t heard about them yet.

All: Voltaren won't do me any good while foot is strapped. ;)

Might as well go to breakfast. Singers and music stillout there, but it's starting to get light.

:)Am able to get Voltaren Gel from my local Walgreens with a script. Costs close to $100,00 for 3 100 g tubes. Hope you are able to get your supply.

I knew you could get it her with a perscription:)

In EU you can get it without and it came in very handy when I got back from my last trip and mom needed it.

Inquiring minds will go to this website http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

"Voltaren® Gel is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for the relief of joint pain of osteoarthritis in the knees, ankles, feet, elbows, wrists, and hands. Voltaren Gel has not been studied for use on the spine, hip, or shoulder."

Be sure to read the warnings.

And available over the counter here in Canada!

Hi Pia!

Please say hello to Mike for us! (And Franky and Jack when you next see them.) We hope you get back "on your game" soon! Can't wait to see you both in September!

denise

Archived