Bringing bottled water on board

cruisingready

HI for me, the ships water is fine, but my husband needs the bottled water so his feet and legs don't swell, so we just get a case of 24 or 32 bottles and tape it up good and put a luggage tag on it and they load it just like a suitcase, works fine. We did not know if the bottled water would help my husband with the swelling problem , but this last cruise we tried it and it made a difference for him. Who knows everyone is different.

Cori

DH and I brought our Brita water bottles onboard. We filled them with ice and water at the buffet throughout the day, and kept them in the fridge overnight.

The bottles are very convenient, and eliminate a lot of trash. Also, they can be brought through TSA empty and then filled at the water fountain near airport gates. No more paying outrageous prices for bottled water at the airport!

The bottles have the same type of charcoal filters that the Brita pitchers do, and the water tastes great. The filters last for two months and can be replaced.

Shepp, & Seafoam Green, could not agree with you more. We've always used the Princess tap water, and for our last cruise we bought two single size Brita water bottles from Wal-Mart (that add extra purification as you drink them).... just as you did. Refilling with ice and water in Horizon Court is easy, and our cabin steward always had our ice bucket full. So easy, no issues.... so why do people think commercial bottled water is better? Ya got me.... there is no credible reason, nor evidence. There may be a touch of salt in the tap water, but I couldn't tell, and I am sensitive to salt in food (although no physical reaction).

We put a luggage tag on a entire sealed case of water and sent it with my luggage. Also did the same with 24 packs of soda! They do not care at all!

Thanks for that tip about the soda; will try that. So surprised to see you on this thread (unrelated to any roll call). Where are you going on the Crown on Feb. 23rd? Why aren't you two going on the Sapphire with us to Hawaii on Feb. 23rd??!! My "Edit Signature" won't put our Sapphire Princess - Hawaii avatar up on my signature. We loved our cruise with you all and so many great people, on the Crown in December. Guess what..... we finally made the plunge and bought iPads.... now we have to learn how to use them!! Will miss you on our Trivia team :(

Marilyn & Bud

We put a luggage tag on a entire sealed case of water and sent it with my luggage. Also did the same with 24 packs of soda! They do not care at all!

I have a sports bag I keep "just in case" there's more stuff to take home than I brought. I filled it with half liter bottles of water and brought it to embarkation and put a tag on it. It showed up a bit later than my other bag, but it showed up.

You can start with a case at departure and when you get to your first port before you get back on simply pick up more at the local market or yes Wallmart they are everywhere and take it on then. I do that all the time with my soda as I don't like coke products and never had an issue.

MIght one politely inquire why anyone mistrusts the purity and taste of Princess' onboard water, which flows freely and for free? Or for that matter - and given numerous studies - trusts the purity of bottled water, much of which is simply repurposed tap water, plenty of which contains nasty contaminents? Why does anyone schlep water onboard, instead of doing your wallet and your environment a favor and carrying a refillable stainless steel water bottle?

I'm serious: why?

It might be the taste. For some strange reason I have a very refined palate when it comes to water. Very strange because even with numerous wine tastings I still can't tell the difference in the taste of wines - if I couldn't see the glass I probably couldn't tell from taste alone if it was a white or a red wine.

But with water I can tell you the brand of the water when I taste it. They all have a different flavor and some I like and some I don't - for example, I have never liked the taste of Evian! My BIL didn't believe me so he held a taste test and I correctly identified the three brands of bottled water and the tap water that he served to me.

Now with all the focus on conservation now I just take my Brita sports bottle with me. But even filtered I can still taste the difference between water from home and when traveling. I doubt too many bottled water drinkers see it this way. Maybe they just like buying as they go. Or maybe they are just sensitive and may not know why, just that "this water tastes funny" and so they go with bottled.

I like to drink water from plastic bottles. I occasionally bring a case on. I drink four to five bottles a day. I don't like the reusable cup things since they can leak and I am on vacation so I don't want to wash it out and reuse, especially since I won't have dish washing liquid. If it is so environmentally unfriendly for me to bring my own bottled water on board, then why does Princess sell it and charge a mint for it? A lot of people like to bring on their bottles of wine too. Plastic bottles are recycled just like glass bottles. I know because I recycle everything

It's funny how people are so quick to judge those of us who bring on our own water. We the water drinkers, most harmless of the lot:eek:

Princess offers 2 sizes ... one that is probably the 16 oz size, that is easy to carry around, and a large bottle.

I generally buy a bottle about every 3 days, and then just refill it from the bathroom faucet in the evening and refrigerate it for the next day's use. I don't like the idea of using the same bottle for 10 or more days. That's the reason for a new bottle every few days.

The ship's tapwater is just fine!!

• 4 years later...

Hi - I just paid for the bottled water package. It was $6.90 for 12 - 500ml bottles. I too drink a lot of water and taste makes a difference. Once we empty a few bottles, I'll try the ship's water and will probably be fine. If not, we'll replenish our supply in port. For a warm 15 day Panama Canal cruise that should work fine. We don't want the hassle of carrying water on board, especially since I already plan to bring 6 bottles of wine in carry on (2 per our allocation and 4 more for the $15 stamps). I can only burden DH with so much!

I'd like to know if the "slap a luggage tag on it" method still works for a case of water. Coming from ft Lauderdale this is the easiest way for sure. But it's been a while.

I usually pack a soft sided duffle with Diet Pepsi and water. Then the bag just folds up small into another bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you bring your own bottled water on board and if so do you check it in with luggage or carry it on yourself and how many cases can you bring?:)

I guess you can bring as much as you can carry. What we do is bring a few on board & then stock up at each port we visit. Never had a problem. Shore side vendors laugh at how much the cruise lines charge. Being a food vendor myself we pay less than 20cents per bottle. So at a buck a bottle the vendors are still making a killing!

We drink the ship water--straight from the bathroom faucet!

However, we do like to take bottled water on our excursions.

Princess offers 12 bottles for $6.90. I know, I know--that's a lot of money, but I do not care to struggle with a case of bottled water when boarding.

This particular offer cannot be purchased onboard.

If interested, go to your "booked" heading. Look on "Onboard gifts and services.

The very last item under "Beverage Pkgs" is the choice for 12 bottles of water.

We drink the ship water--straight from the bathroom faucet!

However, we do like to take bottled water on our excursions.

Princess offers 12 bottles for $6.90. I know, I know--that's a lot of money, but I do not care to struggle with a case of bottled water when boarding.

This particular offer cannot be purchased onboard.

If interested, go to your "booked" heading. Look on "Onboard gifts and services.

The very last item under "Beverage Pkgs" is the choice for 12 bottles of water.

We do the same thing. The cost is cheaper than throwing your back out on the first day of the cruise. ;)

MIght one politely inquire why anyone mistrusts the purity and taste of Princess' onboard water, which flows freely and for free? Or for that matter - and given numerous studies - trusts the purity of bottled water, much of which is simply repurposed tap water, plenty of which contains nasty contaminents? Why does anyone schlep water onboard, instead of doing your wallet and your environment a favor and carrying a refillable stainless steel water bottle?

PH balance.

People who suffer from GERD or acid reflux often find relief drinking water with a high PH balance which means the water is alkaline rather than acidic.

Not all bottled water is created equal. Personally I drink Evian, Fiji and Canadian brands like Eska. All have a high (alkaline PH balance) which makes a huge difference between suffering from acid reflux (heartburn) all day long or feeling normal. People with bad acid reflux, Tums and Zantac meds doesn't work. Drinking high alkaline water helps in a major way.

Last year I took an AI at a secrets a very high end brand. Their bottled water was filtered tap water and I was sick all week. So bottled water matters HUGELY to me.

FYI, Princess tap water is considered "neutral" PH balance 7.0, neither acidic or non acidic. The processes that clean the water remove acidity, but also remove all helpful mineral elements. In my case I need alkaline water. Neutral water won't hurt me but doesn't help either especially since I'll probably be eating and drinking LOTS of acidic food and drink on an all inclusive cruise.

Edited by bamelin

DH and I brought our Brita water bottles onboard. We filled them with ice and water at the buffet throughout the day, and kept them in the fridge overnight.

The bottles are very convenient, and eliminate a lot of trash. Also, they can be brought through TSA empty and then filled at the water fountain near airport gates. No more paying outrageous prices for bottled water at the airport!

The bottles have the same type of charcoal filters that the Brita pitchers do, and the water tastes great. The filters last for two months and can be replaced.

I also bring my Brita water bottle.

it's great!

We used to do it with wine as well. Then we just paid the corkage fee when we took it to the dining room. But now it seems they want you to carry on your wine/champagne, so not so easy.

• 5 months later...

Re bringing water onboard....excuse me if I don't understand the responses as I find they're lacking in info. I will be flying to the port from a very long distance. Do I bring my case of water to the airport from home and check it in with my luggage? I'm thinking there might be a big charge for that. Alternately once i'm in my Florida hotel to overnight before boarding the ship where will I find a case of cheap water in a fancy hotel and then how can a 75 yr old lady carry her luggage, a carry on, a camera and a case of water too? I know from my previous cruise the cost of my water onboard was extremely pricey. Someone here mentioned something like $6.00. Hey, i'd be happy if I could buy a case of water from the ship for that!!!

Re bringing water onboard....excuse me if I don't understand the responses as I find they're lacking in info. I will be flying to the port from a very long distance. Do I bring my case of water to the airport from home and check it in with my luggage? I'm thinking there might be a big charge for that. Alternately once i'm in my Florida hotel to overnight before boarding the ship where will I find a case of cheap water in a fancy hotel and then how can a 75 yr old lady carry her luggage, a carry on, a camera and a case of water too? I know from my previous cruise the cost of my water onboard was extremely pricey. Someone here mentioned something like $6.00. Hey, i'd be happy if I could buy a case of water from the ship for that!!!

This is an old thread but may I suggest you bring a sport empty bottle from home, fill it from the tap in your room or the dispenser in the buffet and you will not have to buy or lug water.

On Princess you can buy a 12-pack of water for $6 and something--don't remember the exact amount--and it will be in your fridge when you get there. Some other cruise lines do have really high charges, and on some you aren't allowed to bring water on board. You can bring empty bottles though, and fill as needed.

If we are going on Princess we always order the 12 pack and then fill up bottles after that is gone. Otherwise I bring 3-4 bottles of water with me to refill.

Don't bring water from home.

You can pre order bottles water from Princess and it will be in your cabin upon arrival.

$6.90 for 12 bottles. They were bigger bottles. I think 20 oz. You can only get this price pre cruise through your booking on the personalizer. Onboard it will be quite a bit more.

It's very convenient.

MIght one politely inquire why anyone mistrusts the purity and taste of Princess' onboard water, which flows freely and for free? Or for that matter - and given numerous studies - trusts the purity of bottled water, much of which is simply repurposed tap water, plenty of which contains nasty contaminants? Why does anyone schlep water onboard, instead of doing your wallet and your environment a favor and carrying a refillable stainless steel water bottle?

(y)(y)(y)

That's my question, too.

Don't bring water from home.

You can pre order bottles water from Princess and it will be in your cabin upon arrival.

$6.90 for 12 bottles. They were bigger bottles. I think 20 oz. You can only get this price pre cruise through your booking on the personalizer. Onboard it will be quite a bit more.

It's very convenient.

I think ours were smaller--the normal bottled water size. I don't actually like the bigger ones as they are heavier and harder to carry around.