Bringing bottled water on board

cruisingready

Ship water is fine on the ship, but off the ship I bring my own bottled water to drink. I also like to have bottled water in my room as I will not drink out of glasses left in hotel rooms unless they are wrapped, disposable cups. (Contacted a very nasty bug after using hotel drinking glasses a few years back so I avoid these at all costs.)

I think ours were smaller--the normal bottled water size. I don't actually like the bigger ones as they are heavier and harder to carry around.

Ours weren't the big ones that Princess sells but they were not the small 12 ounce bottles either.

That's why I was thinking 20 ounce.

It's a good deal though.

Don't bring water from home.

You can pre order bottles water from Princess and it will be in your cabin upon arrival.

$6.90 for 12 bottles. They were bigger bottles. I think 20 oz. You can only get this price pre cruise through your booking on the personalizer. Onboard it will be quite a bit more.

It's very convenient.

This is what we do now. The bottles are 16.9 oz. [emoji74]

Ours weren't the big ones that Princess sells but they were not the small 12 ounce bottles either.

That's why I was thinking 20 ounce.

It's a good deal though.

I just looked at our 'regular' sized bottles; they are 16.9 oz and the same size as what we bought from Princess. It is a good deal, for cruise line prices. Of course, $2.99 (or often less) for 24 here at home is better!

Can you bring your own bottled water on board and if so do you check it in with luggage or carry it on yourself and how many cases can you bring?:)

Sure you can.

Once I brought 3 cases of my favorite sparkling water for a TA voyage. That was a few years ago.

Just curious, do you have dietary requirements for a special type of water? How many cases of water do you plan to bring? You can have as many cases you can carry on, or as checked luggage. If you do check it, be sure to tape wrap the cases securely, and put a luggage tag with your cabin number on them.

Enjoy your cruise, and the water.

We just got off the Grand, 10 day Alaska, and we brought 3 cases (24 - 16.9 oz) with us in suitcases. No problem at all. Just like others have said, we can tell the difference in the taste. Three of us do not like the taste of the ship's tap water at all. And once we drank them, we had empty suitcases to carry home all of our souvenirs.

The bottled water that the Grand carries is Crystal Geyser in the 16.9oz. size and then a larger size. You can pre- purchase a 12 pack of the 16.9 oz. for $6.90.

We ran out of our bottled water at day 7 so we purchased another 12 bottles in Ketchikan at the Tongass Trading Company for $6.00 and carried it onboard. They sell Crystal Geyser in 6 packs for $3.00 each with carry handles. My son just carried one 6 pack in each hand. No problem again.

Re bringing water onboard....excuse me if I don't understand the responses as I find they're lacking in info. I will be flying to the port from a very long distance. Do I bring my case of water to the airport from home and check it in with my luggage? I'm thinking there might be a big charge for that. Alternately once i'm in my Florida hotel to overnight before boarding the ship where will I find a case of cheap water in a fancy hotel and then how can a 75 yr old lady carry her luggage, a carry on, a camera and a case of water too? I know from my previous cruise the cost of my water onboard was extremely pricey. Someone here mentioned something like $6.00. Hey, i'd be happy if I could buy a case of water from the ship for that!!!

:eek:

Either cruise port, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami have supermarkets and drug stores you can pay for as little as $3.99 USD for 24 bottles (16.9 oz. each) of spring water. It's cheaper than buying your water onboard. Yes? Better tasting too. ;)

So, @ 75, either take a taxi or Uber, from supermarket or drug store back to your hotel with your cases of water. Take a taxi or Uber from the hotel to the cruise ship. Dockside porters will take your cases of water and handle your cases of water like your checked luggage. Be sure to have your cases of water securely wrapped with tape, and tagged with your cabin number. That's it. Easy peasey. :)

Enjoy your cruise, and your water.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Last year we sailed out of New York so we didn't have any bottled water with us since we are from California. The hotel that we stayed at the night before sold bottled water and we were able to buy a case for regular price from them. No mark up. It was great that they did that for us since we couldn't get to a store before we sailed. I'm sure some other hotels would do that too.

What KingofCool1947 suggests is the simplest I've seen so far. I like my pre-cruise hotel to be close by a supermarket or drug store and I will empty out my rolling duffel bag and go get a case of water, then when I check out use the luggage trolley from the hotel to bring my stuff to the shuttle or Uber.

I'm fine with the ship's water. But there is a convenience to having a few bottles of cold water in the cabin cooler ... there is some work involved in getting it to the ship but once it's there, it's very convenient ... not as happy at the idea of refillable bottles (though I have a couple) that aren't as clean towards the end of a long cruise despite the best you do.

It's a small indulgence.

This is an old thread but may I suggest you bring a sport empty bottle from home, fill it from the tap in your room or the dispenser in the buffet and you will not have to buy or lug water.

Thanks for this but I am scared to drink the water from the bthrm tap as on a previous cruise i did and ended up in bed with pneumonia for a week. I don't know if it was the water that caused it but it did smell a little off in that bthrm for the entire cruise. I had never had pneumonia prior to that and don't want to take any chances as it was super brutal and devastating to waste a week in bed. I was too ill to even consider flying home as that would have been more painful than staying and sleeping 24/7. BTW don't know why people keep referencing Princess since i'm going on a Carnival cruise.

Last year we sailed out of New York so we didn't have any bottled water with us since we are from California. The hotel that we stayed at the night before sold bottled water and we were able to buy a case for regular price from them. No mark up. It was great that they did that for us since we couldn't get to a store before we sailed. I'm sure some other hotels would do that too.

Thanks Nightowl. I have no idea if the hotel i'll stay at has a store with water for sale and then like I said how could I possibly carry it along with all my other stuff?

What KingofCool1947 suggests is the simplest I've seen so far. I like my pre-cruise hotel to be close by a supermarket or drug store and I will empty out my rolling duffel bag and go get a case of water, then when I check out use the luggage trolley from the hotel to bring my stuff to the shuttle or Uber.

I'm fine with the ship's water. But there is a convenience to having a few bottles of cold water in the cabin cooler ... there is some work involved in getting it to the ship but once it's there, it's very convenient ... not as happy at the idea of refillable bottles (though I have a couple) that aren't as clean towards the end of a long cruise despite the best you do.

It's a small indulgence.

Thanks for your help KingofCool1947. It seems the ship i'm going to cruise on (Carnival Sunshine) does not have a cooler or fridge in their 8D balcony cabins.

Thanks for this but I am scared to drink the water from the bthrm tap as on a previous cruise i did and ended up in bed with pneumonia for a week. I don't know if it was the water that caused it but it did smell a little off in that bthrm for the entire cruise. I had never had pneumonia prior to that and don't want to take any chances as it was super brutal and devastating to waste a week in bed. I was too ill to even consider flying home as that would have been more painful than staying and sleeping 24/7. BTW don't know why people keep referencing Princess since i'm going on a Carnival cruise.

If you are cruising Carnival you are on the wrong board - this is Princess

If you are cruising Carnival you are on the wrong board - this is Princess

Oh dear, sooooo sorry I didn't know that; thought cruisecritic was all ships. I am the person who always mis-understands everything and it's so me to screw up yet once again. Can't wait to get lost or be too late for my upcoming cruise, lol!

Good thing you mentioned that you were on a Carnival Cruise. On some of the Carnival ships that do not have watermakers onboard very late at night they will meet up with a water boat from a local island and refill their tanks. As you know some the islands do not have the safest water.

This may be what happened is you got some bad water from the water boat.

Oh dear, sooooo sorry I didn't know that; thought cruisecritic was all ships. I am the person who always mis-understands everything and it's so me to screw up yet once again. Can't wait to get lost or be too late for my upcoming cruise, lol!

Cruise Critic has specific forums for each cruise line.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Edited by Colo Cruiser

i'm local to my port for my next cruise. i plan on bringing some trader joes sparkling water because i enjoy the flavor and bubbly.

i do also partake of the water on ship. i don't enjoy the iced tea as much, it has a funny flavor. i might look into bringing some iced tea on board as well.

i'm local to my port for my next cruise. i plan on bringing some trader joes sparkling water because i enjoy the flavor and bubbly.

i do also partake of the water on ship. i don't enjoy the iced tea as much, it has a funny flavor. i might look into bringing some iced tea on board as well.

Love your screen name! [emoji16]

Can you bring your own bottled water on board and if so do you check it in with luggage or carry it on yourself and how many cases can you bring?:)

You can bring plenty on board. We bring enough to last the sea days. Then we restock in each port. The line will be selling you water(usually $2-3 a bottle)It's much cheaper in port. Don't buy at the shops real close to the ship. They'll gouge you as well.