Bringing wine on board update

billroddy

Thanks Lisa - I do think that the cases of wine have helped bring the demise - I know others call it luggage - I continually respectfully disagree;)

Gee, I have one person that agrees with me:). I'm just about able to sit down again for the butt kicking some felt they needed to give me for MY opinion. I think it's totally reasonable to bring on a bottle or two.

Gee, I have one person that agrees with me:). I'm just about able to sit down again for the butt kicking some felt they needed to give me for MY opinion. I think it's totally reasonable to bring on a bottle or two.

Have always agreed with you on this one - I called it abuse and was chastized:eek: each to their own - I have always maintained that if you can't carry it on - it's not worth bringing - and no, Wakepatrol and others - we don't bring 2 buck chuck - we bring carefully selected wines. -- we choose carefully and hope, wisely:D

smooth seas all:)

Have always agreed with you on this one - I called it abuse and was chastized:eek: each to their own - I have always maintained that if you can't carry it on - it's not worth bringing - and no, Wakepatrol and others - we don't bring 2 buck chuck - we bring carefully selected wines. -- we choose carefully and hope, wisely:D

I agree, you should be able to carry it on. Looks like HAL agrees with that. I know that you buy special wines and I'm sure others are the same. I'm also sure some people do bring the 2 buck chuck:D.

I think it's totally reasonable to bring on a bottle or two.

Maybe to some extent that should depend on the length of the cruise. The same absolute standard shouldn't be used for a 21-day cruise as is used for a 7-day. It's out of proportion that way.

Maybe to some extent that should depend on the length of the cruise. The same absolute standard shouldn't be used for a 21-day cruise as is used for a 7-day. It's out of proportion that way.

This has always been my complaint about the other cruiselines. They have the same limit whether it is a 7-day or several weeks (or months).

Totally out of proportion, and now HAL will be just like the others. :(

I'll have to say goodbye to HAL if this does go into effect when I choose my next sailing. I see RCCI has relaxed its wine prohibition and the premium drinks package (essentially swill/plonk but "free" and worth at least $1,100 for two) being thrown in for certain cabin categories on TATL sailings has me taking down the yellow flag on it.

Kazu, I think using the word "abuse" when people were adhering to HAL's policy was what brought the chastisement:)

If the policy does indeed change, then we'll all get used to it, I'm sure. RCI has recently changed their zero-policy for wine to 2 bottles per pax. I think that's a fair standard, as long as you can bring more at each port:D

Kazu, I think using the word "abuse" when people were adhering to HAL's policy was what brought the chastisement:)

If the policy does indeed change, then we'll all get used to it, I'm sure. RCI has recently changed their zero-policy for wine to 2 bottles per pax. I think that's a fair standard, as long as you can bring more at each port:D

probably - but that's ok - it's my opinion - and I think we are all entitled to that still:)

Bringing it at port is fine if you are at port on a regular basis - at sea for 9 days with no ports other than Bermuda doesn't give you much of a chance for anything.

anyways, each to their own. I still think that it was the cases of wine that did the wine policy in, but what do I know.

Crossing my fingers for May and we'll take it from there;)

Hope they don't change it before March 22nd! I compared prices from their wine list (someone on this site published it) with the prices at Total Wine and I found that HAL's prices were six or seven times higher once you add in the 15% tip. We're planning to buy a case and pay the corkage fee at dinner. That way a $10 bottle of wine costs $28 instead of $45.

So if someone brought a semi truck full of wine aboard would that be abuse? It shouldn't be since it follows HAL policy. Please don't say you haven't seen it because I haven't either. I just want to know if there would be a line for you.

[quote name=kazu;37065804. I still think that it was the cases of wine that did the wine policy in' date=' but what do I know.

;)[/quote]

I'm quite sure that is the case although you'll never get most to agree. Most policies don't just change for no reason.

The policy states that you may bring as much wine as you like for your personal use in your cabin.

If you truly expect to drink two cases of wine in your cabin on your three day cruise, you have a drinking problem, but it is not abuse of the policy.

If you bring more than you can reasonably expect to drink in order to host a party or sell, then you are abusing the 'personal use' provision. It is not the quantity that matters, but rather your intended purpose.

Who defines reasonable? What might be reasonable to one is not reasonable to another..............
Exactly. Each person defines it for themselves. I said "... you can reasonably expect to drink" If you truly believe that you can drink a semi-truck of wine on your cruise, then that is a reasonable amount for you to bring.

So if someone brought a semi truck full of wine aboard would that be abuse? It shouldn't be since it follows HAL policy. Please don't say you haven't seen it because I haven't either. I just want to know if there would be a line for you.

It doesn't really matter where the line is for each of us. It is up to HAL to draw their own line in the sand and set the limit (if they choose to). Until that time, there is no abuse if their is no limit.

As far as I know, they still don't limit the per person food intake at the buffet. They just say... there is food, come and get it.

I thought 2 or 3 buck chuck was exclusive to Trader Joe's?

Hope they don't change it before March 22nd! I compared prices from their wine list (someone on this site published it) with the prices at Total Wine and I found that HAL's prices were six or seven times higher once you add in the 15% tip. We're planning to buy a case and pay the corkage fee at dinner. That way a $10 bottle of wine costs $28 instead of $45.

You're lucky to find wine you like for $10/bottle. Wine has gotten so pricey in our area, I don't think there are many even offered for that price let alone anything worth bringing on the ship.

It isn't that we need the high price bottles but there are so few we even see in the liquor store for so low a price.

It doesn't really matter where the line is for each of us. It is up to HAL to draw their own line in the sand and set the limit (if they choose to). Until that time, there is no abuse if their is no limit.

As far as I know, they still don't limit the per person food intake at the buffet. They just say... there is food, come and get it.

How do you feel about perfume wearers..........

The question that I asked was not asked of you.

You're lucky to find wine you like for $10/bottle. Wine has gotten so pricey in our area, I don't think there are many even offered for that price let alone anything worth bringing on the ship.

It isn't that we need the high price bottles but there are so few we even see in the liquor store for so low a price.

You're right, its the same here in PA. However, the comment was made about Total Wine in Florida and that is another matter entirely. When I was there in December, I bought wines for around $10 that we routinely pay $18-22 per bottle for in PA. Not to mention the fact there there were probably hundreds, if not thousands of wines there that just are not for sale in PA. We stopped on the way home and bought 4 cases of wine to shore up the wine cabinet. I spent a little over $800 on 4 cases of wine that we love and a few bottles of Scotch that are unavailable in PA. That same order would have cost close to $1500 in PA if it were even available.

You're right, its the same here in PA. However, the comment was made about Total Wine in Florida and that is another matter entirely. When I was there in December, I bought wines for around $10 that we routinely pay $18-22 per bottle for in PA. Not to mention the fact there there were probably hundreds, if not thousands of wines there that just are not for sale in PA. We stopped on the way home and bought 4 cases of wine to shore up the wine cabinet. I spent a little over $800 on 4 cases of wine that we love and a few bottles of Scotch that are unavailable in PA. That same order would have cost close to $1500 in PA if it were even available.

I take it you drove back to PA?

That's a long drive but as long as you were doing that driving, a bonus to get wine and scotch you wanted. :)

Archived