Nasty strain of Norovirus spreading this year

TwoCruisers

Not that any Norovirus is anything but awful. Apparently there is a particularly nasty strain spreading this year, according to CNN news.

This is NOT saying that there is any noro going around on cruise ships. I just hope that it doesn’t get there. I’m on the Emerald on 3 weeks.

A good reason to avoid Princess cruises as far as I am concerned, amongst others, whether they have a particularly bad record because of company policy dealing with outbreaks, bad hygiene practice of crew or passengers I do not know but they haven't had a good year with GI problems affecting many cruises.

Not that other lines haven't had their cases but Princess seem to have hit the headlines with it recently with apparently ineffective socalled deep cleaning and sequential cruises being affected.

A good reason to avoid Princess cruises as far as I am concerned, amongst others, whether they have a particularly bad record because of company policy dealing with outbreaks, bad hygiene practice of crew or passengers I do not know but they haven't had a good year with GI problems affecting many cruises.

Not that other lines haven't had their cases but Princess seem to have hit the headlines with it recently with apparently ineffective socalled deep cleaning and sequential cruises being affected.

I am totally confused by your comments. If you read, or study, anything about about norovirus you would know that it does not start at the ship. It is brought aboard by passengers.

I am totally confused by your comments. If you read, or study, anything about about norovirus you would know that it does not start at the ship. It is brought aboard by passengers.
Well, I guess the only way to avoid Princess passengers would be to avoid Princess cruises.

It's not a new more potent strain at all. It's just that Noro outbreaks peak in January and February which is why there is so much chatter on these boards this time of year. And it does not original on Princess ships anymore than it does on any cruise ship. PEOPLE bring it on board then spread it because they don't wash their hands and practice good hygiene. Princess merely tries to control it...which they do well.

Stop grabbing food (cookies, rolls, etc) from the buffet with bare hands, wash every time you leave the restroom (you would be surprised how many men leave the restroom without washing), and stay in your room if your sick and that will help control it. Don't do any of those things and you increase your chances and those of fellow passengers chances of getting sick.

Better check your facts, as it is a new much more virulent strain of the Noro virus according to the CDC.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57565694/cdc-says-new-norovirus-strain-caused-140-outbreaks-since-september/

This is the official CDC release:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6203a4.htm

Mike

I stand corrected, however my statement about Princess cruise ships not being the cause remains true. People are the cause for all the reasons I mentioned and have witnessed first hand far too many times. If you cruise you have seen it as well...the guy grabbing a piece of cheese off the platter in Horizon Court, the lady grabbing a couple of cookies, the guy that just left the restroom without washing...then using the tongs in the buffet line. People and their poor hygiene habits bring Noro on board and spread it.

I read something the other day that sort of creeped me out. It was that norovirus can spread in laundry water (washing contaminated clothes with clothes that weren't contaminated to begin with). The recommendation was to use hot water (and bleach) for the wash but it sort of scared me how clothes are washed on the ship (all together). Hopefully Princess is using hot water to wash their clothes (isn't this bad for some clothes?) but I will think twice about sending clothes out in the future.

I found the article: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16739631-norovirus-why-washing-your-hands-isnt-enough?lite

(you would be surprised how many men leave the restroom without washing)

You would be surprised how many women leave the restroom without washing! It's shocking. I'm always amazed when I'm at the sink, washing away, and someone comes out, looks straight at me in the mirror, then leaves.

Gosh, imagine being a crew member!! Knowing someone may come on and give everyone Noro, and you have no choice but give them great service. I'd have to wear gloves all day, I'm afraid.

I stand corrected, however my statement about Princess cruise ships not being the cause remains true. People are the cause for all the reasons I mentioned and have witnessed first hand far too many times. If you cruise you have seen it as well...the guy grabbing a piece of cheese off the platter in Horizon Court, the lady grabbing a couple of cookies, the guy that just left the restroom without washing...then using the tongs in the buffet line. People and their poor hygiene habits bring Noro on board and spread it.

It really is unbelievable that people knowing about the risks of Norovirus still do not practice good hygiene. The not washing your hands in the restroom really blows my mind...WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!

As is typical of viruses, Noro constantly mutates to ensure it's own survival.

The key to not catching it is GOOD handwashing .... not just a quick wash and rinse-off .... what is required is a thorough scrubbing of all hand surfaces with soap for at least 20 seconds, just like what is promoted for flu prevention.

As is typical of viruses, Noro constantly mutates to ensure it's own survival.

The key to not catching it is GOOD handwashing .... not just a quick wash and rinse-off .... what is required is a thorough scrubbing of all hand surfaces with soap for at least 20 seconds, just like what is promoted for flu prevention.

Exactly, and it has been demonstrated that elevator buttons, stair handrails, and door handles are far more contaminated than the bathrooms.

Mike:)

There is Noro in San Diego right now, and people aren't on cruise ships.

I just call the Dr for my sick, 6 mo's pregnant DIL. When I told him she works at Target, he told me that she should stay out of that place.

Target has wipes when you come in the door. I practically disinfect the whole cart when I go there.

So Noro is everywhere. We just have to keep up our immune systems. :)

Pat

Yes, It is here in San Diego. My friend's daughter is recovering from it right now and she hasn't traveled anywhere recently.

Once on a cruise ship, the Noro spread faster because we are all touching the same things. As far as the restrooms on board, there are some handicapped stalls with the sink inside the stall. Those folks come out and don't use the regular sinks. I made the mistake of using one of these stalls , washed my hands, then touched the stall door, so washed again

before I left the restroom.

Its making its rounds down here in south Florida. Not sure why Princess ships have higher instances than other lines leaving here though. Maybe the media picks Princess more when the reports come out? Local news always reports Princess as having the outbreaks more often that others it seems.

It was on my November Ruby cruise as well. I believe 3 other Princess ships had it then.

Not sure why Princess ships have higher instances than other lines leaving here though. Maybe the media picks Princess more when the reports come out? Local news always reports Princess as having the outbreaks more often that others it seems.

Haha. It's sort of like how I associate Royal Caribbean with people going overboard. Feels like everytime you hear about it, it's RCL. :rolleyes:

Obviously you are totally confused because I did not state anywhere in my post that Noro starts on a ship.

In fact nobody knows when or where it originally started, we only know that where there are lots of people in close contact with bad hygiene - it spreads like wildfire.

I've been on ships with it prevalent and have never picked it up myself, but then I have been both lucky and careful, to the extent of taking virus killing wipes to the dining room and using them after pulling my chair in and handling the menus.

What you can't do anything about is if an undiagnosed crew member involved in food preparation or handling has the bug and transmits it to passengers in the food served to you.

And who knows if or when that has happened, you just don't know how you get it, I have shared a cabin with someone who had it - and never got it myself.

I believe that if you have had it there is a period of immunity to getting it again, it's quite short, but I do not know how long.

I haven't heard of anyone getting it more than once on a cruise.

I always use the paper towel that I dried my freshly scrubbed hands with to open the door(s) as I leave a restroom in any public place.

On Princess ships there is always a small trash bin for paper towel disposal, usually attached to the wall, as one exits the restroom. Makes it very easy to use that paper towel to open the door.

I always use the paper towel that I dried my freshly scrubbed hands with to open the door(s) as I leave a restroom in any public place.

On Princess ships there is always a small trash bin for paper towel disposal, usually attached to the wall, as one exits the restroom. Makes it very easy to use that paper towel to open the door.

I usually do the same.

On our last few cruises I have noticed that they have had the doors to the restrooms outside the dining rooms propped open so one did not have to touch the door at all. I think this is a proactive step in reducing noro transmission.

Mike:)

Local newscasts say Norovirus is commonly found in retirement homes and cruise ships, and is now spreading to the rest of the population.

It is really the other way around.

It is in the general population and then spreads to retirement homes and cruise ships.

I'd be interested to know if those pax who frequented the MDR for all meals are equally vulnerable. I understand it's one of the reasons people go there.

Handling serving tongs is a worry, so it's good to see the entrances to the HC supervised for the ritual handblessing with solution.

Archived