If You are Flying From Logan for Your Cruise........

sail7seas

You stay safe too, Josie. We have a new generator since Sandy and I see a huge can of gas outside for it. But, I wonder if it's enough if we lose power for over a week.

Josie, do they ever close the bridge because of high winds?

You stay safe too, Josie. We have a new generator since Sandy and I see a huge can of gas outside for it. But, I wonder if it's enough if we lose power for over a week.

Josie, do they ever close the bridge because of high winds?

Yes it closed during Sandy.

We are currently in Costa Rica on a land based vacation and plan to leave for home tomorrow. While we are not concerned as we live in Texas, the front desk lines are very long with those from the Northeast that cannot fly home as scheduled due to flight cancellations. The hotel is fully booked as it is high season...they cannot extend their stay. Quite a mess.

I assume FLL will be a mess this weekend, too.

B

BTW....Costa Rica is heavenly...

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking of you all in this storm's path. We are dealing with snow here north of Toronto....schools closed ,taxis called off the road,police asking us to stay home if possible. Traffic not a happy place to be in the city.

I don't work Fridays and DH will work from home...did a little grocery shop after work yesterday ,so we are happy to snuggle in and watch the snow fall.

Our wine and chocolate supplies are sufficient :D We should weather this storm just fine.

Hope you don't have any power issues Sail,that is always scary.:( From our weather forecasts here the storm has your fair city right in the line of fire,

Sapper hold on to your hat friend.:)

Ruth I won't worry about you ..you have your chocolate so all's well.:)

Stay safe everyone.

Colleen

Ruth I won't worry about you ..you have your chocolate so all's well.:)[

Gee, thanks. I think. :confused:

There was already a fine snow falling when I got up, with the expectation that it should start coming in earnest around 10:00. By late afternoon we are expecting 5-6", with the worst coming tonight and overnight.

Even worse, TV is going to broadcast all storm news starting at noon! What a waste of time; they'll just keep reporting the same nothing over and over for hours. That's exactly what happened during Sandy and Irene.

Why not wait until there's something to report, and leave my soap opera alone! :mad:

You stay safe, too, Colleen. How much snow are they predicting for you?

Hi Mamaofami

Sending best wishes.:) They are calling for 25 cm....about 10 inches.

Ruth wishing you safety always ... but if you do become snowbound, I was pretty sure you would be much happier with chocolate than without.:) (me too by the way.)

We are currently in Costa Rica on a land based vacation and plan to leave for home tomorrow. While we are not concerned as we live in Texas, the front desk lines are very long with those from the Northeast that cannot fly home as scheduled due to flight cancellations. The hotel is fully booked as it is high season...they cannot extend their stay. Quite a mess.

I assume FLL will be a mess this weekend, too.

B

BTW....Costa Rica is heavenly...

That is true -- ships will be arriving back in Ft Lauderdale all weekend and many flights heading to New York, etc will be cancelled.

And I bet hotels are pretty booked in Ft Lauderdale as well.

Thought I would share this with you all in case you haven't heard. Hopefully it will lighten the moment for you all up north.

Parking

Norman and his blonde wife live in Fargo.

One winter morning while listening to the radio, they hear the announcer say,

"We are going to have 3 to 4 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the even numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car.

A week later while they are eating breakfast, the radio announcer says,

"We are expecting 4 to 5 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the odd numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car again.

The next week they are having breakfast again, when the radio announcer says

"We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park.....",

then the electricity goes out. Norman's wife says,

"Honey, I don't know what to do."

Norman says, "Why don't you just leave it in the garage this time?"

I think Normans wife lives on my street. I live on a very odd shaped winding residential street that dead ends at a cul de sac. Kind of tricky for the snow plows in really bad weather. But they manage a pretty good job when ALL the cars are off the road.

Now everyone on my street has a 2 car garage and a pretty good sized double driveway. So they can get all their cars off the street.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There are a couple of people that have to leave their cars on the street so the plow has to make a wide sweep of them so for days after a storm like this it is like driving through the Alps around big mounds of snow.

Drats, have 7 hour drive from Alabama (where it is currently 70 degrees and overcast) to Tampa. Must arrive by 3 Mar but can't convince my wife,whatsername, to leave today. I'm from Michigan and can't quite adjust,40 years should have been long enough, to the local panic when we get one half inch of snow every several years !

Gosh I would never rub it in about our weather. We are in for a real storm Friday night and Saturday morning. They are predicting up to 1/2" inch of rain and temps dipping into the low 50's. I do remember the days when I lived in Montreal and I do sympathize .... honest I do.

Everyone gets their share of bad weather or natural disaster at one time or another.

People that are enjoying a warm sunny day today while New England is getting buried , may have water rising up to the roof come hurricane season, while we are laying at the beach.

We all get hit with something at one time or another.

Hoping that all of us and our homes come out of it safe and sound.

Well I was at the gas station early this morning, and there were lines already. I guess everyone is taking this seriously....But why did they have to name this storm? I've never heard of snow storms being named.....and of all names NEMO???????? Really?

WinterNemo_zps66732979.jpg

Everyone gets their share of bad weather or natural disaster at one time or another.

People that are enjoying a warm sunny day today while New England is getting buried , may have water rising up to the roof come hurricane season, while we are laying at the beach.

Of course we all do. The difference is that some folks would never think of rubbing it in. That's just not nice.

Thanks for starting this thread Sail. I'm interested in how all you folks are doing.

That's what is making this storm even worse, Babyher.

We, on the coast, are getting a hurricane as well. To be hurricane winds, they must be sustained at 74 mph. We are predicted to have 80+ mph winds in addition to feet of snow. This will be miserable cleaning up because of all the blowing. The plows will clear a road and the wind will blow the snow right back on it again.

Of course we all do. The difference is that some folks would never think of rubbing it in. That's just not nice.

Thanks for starting this thread Sail. I'm interested in how all you folks are doing.

Who of us would ever wish anything bad on others? Hopefully, none would do that.

Thanks for your concern, Lorekauf. It is appreciated. :)

<snip>

Who of us would ever wish anything bad on others? Hopefully, none would do that.

No, I don't think it's anyone wishing anything bad on anyone. I think some folks think it's "funny":rolleyes:. We were getting hammered in late Oct and early Nov 2012 with snowstorms. One of my so called friends thought it would be "funny" to send me an email to say it was better us then him. I was not impressed.

Even worse, TV is going to broadcast all storm news starting at noon! What a waste of time; they'll just keep reporting the same nothing over and over for hours. That's exactly what happened during Sandy and Irene.

Why not wait until there's something to report, and leave my soap opera alone! :mad:

I would have thought the same thing spending most of my life in the Northeast. Having moved to Tennessee, I find local TV and radio stations go nuts in bad weather. Most TV stations, even in pretty decent weather, lead the news with their meteorologist. During bad weather, it's all weather all the time. This appears to be because we are in an area that gets tornados. It's not "tornado alley" like the central states, but they do come and they do kill people. It's funny how, after a lifetime of blizzard and hurricane warnings that make you take notice, tornados spotted in your area become a matter of life or death. Fortunately we have use of a "serious" tornado shelter, but it still means gathering up the pets and making a run for it. The "storm of the century" bearing down on you should be much more important than a soap opera. There are, unfortunately, people who are going to die in this storm and their families, in retrospect, will be more concerned with that than what happened Friday on Days Of Our Lives. ;)

No place in the world is free of natural diseasters/terrible storms/and dangerous natural events.

Hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes, blizzards, tsunamis, flooding rains, draughts, volcanoes......

Doesn't matter where you live, there is risk of one natural diseaster or another.

Stay safe, Judy. Right now we have the calm before the storm. My daughter and kids are due to take off from JFK soon and so far it's a go.

Here, it stopped snowing and we have some rain coming down. Not sure when it's supposed to come down heavy, but I think in a few hours.

These weather phenomenons are very scary because we have no control over what happens.

Archived