Lifeboats under balconies on deck 6 (S-class), annoying?

Vaux

• 1 month later...

a

Categories 2C and 2D are obstructed view cabins. They sell for less money because the view is obstructed. All have the view obstructed by the lifeboats and tenders. The 2D cabins have the taller boats in front of them which may come up to railing height which is why they are the lowest (cheapest) category of veranda cabins. The 2C cabins have the lower boats in front of them which come to about floor level which is why they are the second from the lowest (cheapest) level of veranda cabins.

If you don't want your view obstructed then pick a higher level category and pay the difference.

There is an excellent photographer named Andreas Depping who I believe lives in Germany very near the shipyard where the S class ships were built. He maintains a web site with a very large number of photos of many cruise ships including all of the S class ships. Here is a link to the Celebrity galleries on his site: http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php?cat=24

Anyone who wants to spend a little time counting cabins from some identifiable location on the deck plans and then doing likewise on his photos can get a good idea of the exterior of their cabin location on his photos. I've included one of his photos below which shows both the taller lifeboats, or tenders, in front of some 2D cabins and the lower ones in front of some 2C cabins:

IMGP4248.JPG

I must have miscounted because when I first looked into booking our cabin, I thought the poles shown in the attached photo were on Deck 11...However, from this photo I see they are on Deck 10.

Wondering if we should go down one Deck to avoid these poles...Would appreciate opinions. Just noticed that this was the Eclipse...Looking for info on Equinox...Same?

Edited by tbmrt
added ship

Am I correct in my assumption that just about all of the balcony cabins (except hump, far forward , and aft) do NOT have a straight down view of the water?

Even if I'm on deck 7,8,9,10, etc. won't I still have my straight down view blocked by a lifeboat on deck 5? In other words, something dropped off a balcony wouldn't hit the water, it would hit the lifeboats?? (No I'm not planning on dropping anything, just using an example)

I know that even if I'm correct, those wouldn't be considered obstructed views, but I'm just tryng to get a sense of general ship construction.

We are sailing in 6206, first major obstructed cabin for us. I hope it doesn't bother me too much.

Just back from 6206 on Silhouette and I can tell you there is a major obstruction to your view both sitting and standing. I was very disappointed and will never again buy a 2-D cabin on the S-class again.

This was my 12th cruise and most have been with balconies. This was the worst cabin for viewing and sitting on X or Princess. A lot of sun on sea days also made it too hot to sit out. It is worth the few extra $$ to upgrade at least to a 2-C.

Sue

Hello, new here!

Anybody found those lifeboats annoying on Continental deck? Am i right that they don't disturb the horizontal view from the balconies? My cabin is 6263 on Silhuette. (sailing 10.03.13)

Thanks!

Vaux

We were in one of these cabins and never had a problem with the lifeboats. We would book a 2C again without hesitation.

• 1 month later...
On our recent cruise in the Med, Reflection cabin 6203, category D, was a smaller life boat the same as category C. I was expecting the worst (lifeboat to the top of balcony rail) so was pleasantly surprised to have the top of the lifeboat only reaching the deck...jackpot!

i know this post is over a year old but i think anyone can help me. i have booked 6204 on the reflection which is directly on the other side of the room referenced above. am i correct in assuming that the lifeboat on the 6203 side will be exactly as it is on my side - smaller boat?

thanks

Im in 6240 on Reflection ..i just want to see the sea its ok if i cannot see straight down ..so how obstructed is this cabin ?Can I still look out

Anybody affected by smoke should not book deck 6 odd number cabin

Picture anyone of 6240

I just got back from the Reflection Cabin 6148 a 2c category. I couldn't even see the lifeboat until I got close to the balcony and wasn't bothered by not being able to see directly down into the water at all. I also was able to look down to my left onto Deck 5 below and watch some of the action down there if I wanted.

An added bonus was two seagulls perched on the lifeboat one day and they made for a cute photo. I would book this cabin again definitely if the price were right.

We were in 6261 on the Eclipse. If you look down you'll see lifeboats. Look straight ahead and you'll see the sea. (Pardon the pun!) I took great photos from the balcony and would be happy to stay in the same cabin again.

• 2 years later...

We booked into a 2C & got upgraded automatically to a 2B on Silhouette

The 2B cabins on Silhouette are mod ships by the mid ship elevator banks (no elevators in stern of the S class ships ) .There is no life boat blockage there on the Continental deck (deck 5) .

After sailing with Celebrity just one time the one category upgrade is given at no extra charge

We have done close to 50 Celebrity cruises alone & love this cruise line :D

Just wish X would position a ship in California ;)