Lifeboats under balconies on deck 6 (S-class), annoying?

Vaux

For some cabin categories, it is not possible to moved to another deck. All of the suites are on deck six and look over the lifeboats. The view isn't an issue, the maintenance that is done by the crew on that desk, can be an annoyance. On the Infinity in Oct 12, for most of the entire 15 night voyage, the crew pressure washed, painted and performed drills. This took place uring the day time but could be annoying when on the balcony with overspray from pressure washing, voices and paint smell. I agree... not the best design.. but convenient to everything on decks 5 and 4.

On Millennium class ships the suites balconies don't overlook the lifeboats they are over top of them. First shot is of Summit toward the rear deck 6 suite canopies and second the most forward ones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=259840&d=1360269009

attachment.php?attachmentid=259841&d=1360269009

DSC07038a.jpg.9e48339f7d3e7d2cffec448ae22726ad.jpg

DSC07049A.jpg.0bae048503efb2490a2e0f760d03ec3e.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We have a 2D booked for our Christmas cruise this year. Obstruction or not, I felt it was a win-win, because we got a veranda room for $100 more total than an oceanview-only cabin.

We paid the price of an inside for a 2d at the time. It was $600 less than other balcony rooms. I think if it was only like $100 difference then would have gotten non-obstructed.

• 7 months later...

On our recent cruise in the Med, Reflection cabin 6203, category D, was a smaller life boat the same as category C. I was expecting the worst (lifeboat to the top of balcony rail) so was pleasantly surprised to have the top of the lifeboat only reaching the deck...jackpot! The cabins to the right, 6199 and counting down had the larger lifeboats (2) then they were all small ones again.

Personally, I think it only matters if you like to sit on your verandah, which we enjoyed, but people who are out using the rest of the ship would be pleased at the money saved for these cabins. They are in a great locality on the ship.:)

Yep, we find it annoying. We try to avoid the 2 decks immediately above the lifeboats (those boats do limit your downward view) and we also detest the cabins on the deck immediately below the pool deck overhang. The irony is that the S ships have designated many of those balcony cabins (right under the overhang) as higher priced Aqua Class. We love going Aqua, but would not consider booking any of those balconies. Makes little sense to pay extra to look up into the superstructure....plus have to put up with the noise of chairs being dragged on the pool deck.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

This is all really helpful information for a newbie! I am booked in 6283 on the Reflection for my upcoming cruise - it's category 2C. Does anyone have any intel on the potential obstruction of this view? I wanted a port side aft cabin but I just chose blindly beyond that.

This is all really helpful information for a newbie! I am booked in 6283 on the Reflection for my upcoming cruise - it's category 2C. Does anyone have any intel on the potential obstruction of this view? I wanted a port side aft cabin but I just chose blindly beyond that.

We are in the same boat (:)), so to speak except you are aft. We have been on a couple cruises where our balcony overlooked the life boats. It has not been a problem.

Here are some photos taken last week on the Solstice. This cabin is not recommended on the Sticky Deck Plans, but we liked it. You can see the view of the ocean from the chair in the photo with the coffee cup on the table. The forward view is blocked but we didn't mind. It is a very large balcony and we'd book it again.

Edited by Jessejo
Will try again to add photos. Sorry, I can't download them.

Here are some photos taken last week on the Solstice. This cabin is not recommended on the Sticky Deck Plans, but we liked it. You can see the view of the ocean from the chair in the photo with the coffee cup on the table. The forward view is blocked but we didn't mind. It is a very large balcony and we'd book it again.

Where are your photos?

I don't know what my category is for our party - can anyone help please? We have 6194,6182,6191 and 6183 on Eclipse.

Will we have the lifeboats level with the floor of the balcony?

Thank you

See if the room is listed here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37227834&postcount=537

Also there a search option

On Millennium class ships the suites balconies don't overlook the lifeboats they are over top of them. First shot is of Summit toward the rear deck 6 suite canopies and second the most forward ones.

Thank you for all of your detailed information on this question. Do you happen to have in your photography library a picture of the view from 7336 on the Eclipse? We sail in February!

Thanks!

Edited by bobandalice

Cabins are for sleeping, seldomly are we in the cabin to be concerned with minor obstructions. The cost savings more than paid for the Ultimate Dining package which allows us to dine in Murano every night.

Edited by mickey89

Thanks Robtulipe for taking the time to post the picture! We're happy with our choice...huge balcony, close to the stairs and one deck down to the coffee bar! (Life is good!) :)

Hi Chinook Wind. Would be grateful if you would report on this cabin after your cruise. We are booked in the same cabin on the Solstice in the Spring. Thanks.

They're on my desktop :)

Sorry, I tried to post them - twice. Have never done any before, what am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help.

When you type in this box...underneath it is an area that says

"attach files" and manage attachments.....click on that and then

it will open for you to browse on your desk top and you can attach

the photos.

OR you can use a photo site...Flickr for example, transfer your

photos to them and then copy and paste them onto here:)

I don't know what my category is for our party - can anyone help please? We have 6194,6182,6191 and 6183 on Eclipse.

Will we have the lifeboats level with the floor of the balcony?

Thank you

Hey there,

Your in Category 2D. Good location but obstructed viewing.

Thank you for all of your detailed information on this question. Do you happen to have in your photography library a picture of the view from 7336 on the Eclipse? We sail in February!

Thanks!

I hope this works...I’ve never posted a photo.

We were on Eclipse in February 2012 when it was still in Miami.

This is taken from Cabin 7314 ...looking aft.

Cabin #7336 is 11 cabins aft of 7413.

Hope this helps.

(Can't seem to make it any bigger, sorry.)

274564972_EclipseFebruary2012PortofMiami.jpg.719df878a8e961555417ee90435eca55.jpg

• 4 months later...
How was cabin 6263? Was it obstructed terribly?

I am in 6285 and was curious about the same thing.

Looking at the deck plans (and with a little bit of eyeballing and finger measuring) it looks like my cabin may be between the last lifeboat and where the ceiling from BLU projects out?

I saw a review of the cabin on Solstice that said "PROBLEMS/COMMENTS: This cabin looks directly down at the "employee break area" on deck 5. So at all hours you will see employees out at the railing talking on cell phones, smoking, talking with other employees, etc. Even saw a couple employees using what looked like Skype/video to talk with family. Made the balcony seem a bit less private, but not a major issue for us. Celebrity hangs a "CAUTION WET PAINT" ribbon along the employee break area railing to keep passengers away...it worked!"

Then someone posted about their experience in 6285 on the Equinox "We were in two staterooms 6285 and 6289 Take note these rooms are above the Specailly restuarants Kitchen. We were awoken to dishes smashing, pots and pans banging all night long. We went to Guest Relations more than once. They stated they would tell the cleaning staff at night to keep the noise down, but to no avail."

I assume that all the configurations are the same for this class? If so I suppose I should try and change rooms. Although I booked a guarantee, I plan to stalk the cruise price daily to look for an upgrade deal. If I am stuck in this room then at least I got a rate that I was happy with.

Thanks.