Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

They made their calls when the Elation was close by and they made contact with the Elation's cell phone tower.

I would expect another flurry of communication once Legend is aside the Triumph. I'm sure we will find out about the food and toilets. If they can get enough power restored for food, water and limited lights, it might not be that bad the next few days. Won't be great either.

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Can we actually have a thread that talks about what is going on with the ship instead of a bunch of people that are speculating about what might be happening? I know there are a lot of people with family and friends on this ship that can't get information from Carnival. I have been one of them. Carnival is not giving out a lot of information and most of mine is coming from my wife or others I know that are on this ship.

Why?

Concordia is operated by Costa Cruises. Might as well blame all the shareholders for the fire.

A dispassionate review of cruise ship fires over the last 10 years will show that most cruise lines have experienced fires aboard ships. Some fires, like those experienced by NCL have had very serious consequences. Most fires are more like those experienced aboard Allure last year and caused minimal inconvenience. The Triumph and Splendor fires while not terribly serious in terms of damage or injury did result in many days of press coverage owning to the loss of propulsion and resultant discomfort of passengers.

Because Carnival owns Costa - which was the question I was answering. The validity of adding it to the list is because it supported the poster's comment that Carnival seems to have more than its share of incidents.

So the resulting discomfort of passengers isn't a valid measure for press reporting in terms of the impact of fires and other incidents at sea - only injury and loss of life? Sorry but I dissagree. IMO, passenger comfort and treatment in a situation like this is paramount and valid for reporting.

I'm not picking on Carnival over any other line and my response that you are quoting was only to answer the poster's comments as indicated.

"Another Carnival ship, the Carnival Elation, is currently on scene and transferring additional food and beverage provisions to the Carnival Triumph," the statement said.

Somewhere I saw another was heading.

Elation left, Legend is on the way.

Also, Carnival Elation left at midnight, but Carnival Legend is en-route from Tampa and will arrive on the scene near 3 p.m. this afternoon to complete a transfer of food and water. Carnival Legend will also accept a transfer of a patient in need of dialysis and transport her to Cozumel.

when did common sense fly out of the window on these boards. if you think that this incident will be considered normal travel by the immigration department, i think you need to think again. if a cruise line is allowed to not require passports for a close looped cruise then the department of immigration isn't going to change the requirements mid cruise. it is insane to think that our country would abandon a couple of thousand folks in mexico because of a technicality beyond their control. errrrrrr.

Homeland Security is not known for using common sense.

They will need to make sure that every single person flown to the USA is entitled to be admitted. Everyone who has appropriate documentation will be able to get back, but those without a passport may need to undergo more scrutiny than normal.

Come on folks. Please read and think.

1) Getting fired - I doubt anyone here knows the entire story, so stop speculating. There could easily be way more to the story. Usually is. Person could have .... You just do not know.

2) Phone calls and texts. When the other ship was alongside,folks could easily access that tower and make calls. Issue solved. Also, some people have true satellite phones - not many. Also, we do not know if the cell tower onboard is connected to the emergency power - could be as I am guessing it does not need much power to operate. May even have it's own battery backup.

3) As to those that think some corporate guys do not care and let things slide. Think again. They have their jobs and mega millions of dollars at stake. They know that issues like these cost them way more than what it will cost ot fix it. Like future lost business. They will pay. Dearly.

The emergency lighting would have been on in the hallways so passengers could get to their cabins where they would be able to use the flashlights. Also a cell phone works quite well in a pinch.

Sorry, didn't realize you were on the ship and knew this for fact.

Houston news station said Carnival is arranging for charter flights.

With 3000+ passengers on board, this will require 15-20 flights. Probably use a few planes making round trips. If that is the case, some will have another half day of waiting in Mexico for flights.

I doubt the regional airport can handle that many passengers at once. Maybe Pasengers will first be taken to another place until close to flight time.

It's going to be more than a half day of waiting. Each plane will be able to hold (averaging) 200 passengers. The crew can make maximum two round trips per day and remain legal.

Wouldn't you rather have people make contact and give facts rather than speculation?

I guess you have forgotten the SPlendor incident. The news orgs were all clamoring to find that one person that would go into a rage just to get a news story. And then spin it.

They found no one.

The story has already been written. They are now just looking for an "AUTHOR". Get it?

I would hope that the ship's clinic would have some insulin in stock. It's a fairly commonly-used medication and if a passenger were to break/lose his own insulin vial, or go into a diabetic coma, or not have enough insulin for the extended "cruise", it would be good if the clinic had its own supply.

At least the ship is close enough to the U.S. and Mexican coasts that if someone were to be taken really ill, a helicopter evacuation could be done.

I feel very sorry for people with mobility issues who can't use stairs.

They must have some emergency lighting in the hallways. What if the ship needed to be evacuated at night and the main power was out? How would people get to the lifeboats? So people ought to be able to find their way back to their cabins on the Triumph, if the emergency lighting is working.

My sister was on a cruise when she had an insulin pump malfunction. They were able to supply her with everything she needed. syringes and both short and long acting insulin.

There was still no power or lights on the cabins. Not everyone would have a cell phone or a flashlight. I think I will go with the Captain and Crew on this one.

Maybe you missed where I said "those who had traveled with a flashlight."

I'm not sure I'd call it a huge city. It is a large city. I'm not sure how many of the hotels would combined have 1000 or so rooms that I'd want to put my passengers up in if I were CCL.

Fortunately Merida is a fairly large and modern city with lots of lodging. In addition to local hotels, most of the familiar big chains such as Hilton, Hyatt, etc. have a presence in Merida.

You're kidding right? So having your own flash light makes it ok to navigate the hallways of a blacked out ship? Is that looking out for the safety of everyone on board? There are so many reasons that would be a bad idea I won't even get started. I'm pretty sure Carnival's top priority is keeping everyone safe. Letting them wander a dark ship is not the way to do that.

"Terrible violation of basic human rights." You make it sound like they were held hostage and tortured for crying out loud.

Just relax.

Maybe you are missing what I'm saying. Those who had a flashlight in their cabin who preferred to go to their cabin and stay there for the night should have been allowed to do so. It would have been more sanitary and made for more space for those who hadn't come prepared to spend the night on the upper deck. Win-Win for everyone.

Just got word from my mom who is on the Triumph. She said they would be back to Galveston Thursday or Friday. Not sure how she texted me, I replied but no other messages.

Thanks for the update. Hope she is doing as good as can be expected under the circumstances.

I guess you have forgotten the SPlendor incident. The news orgs were all clamoring to find that one person that would go into a rage just to get a news story. And then spin it.

They found no one.

The story has already been written. They are now just looking for an "AUTHOR". Get it?

Do you not think that the person looking to "go into a rage" isn't capable of contacting the media on their own? I don't see a problem with the inquiry.

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Can we actually have a thread that talks about what is going on with the ship instead of a bunch of people that are speculating about what might be happening? I know there are a lot of people with family and friends on this ship that can't get information from Carnival. I have been one of them. Carnival is not giving out a lot of information and most of mine is coming from my wife or others I know that are on this ship.

Glad to hear your wife is OK and being fed.

I understand your frustration about the thread not being what you want but with so many posters having opinions it is tough for them to not have some input whether right or wrong

CC did post a news update

Do you not think that the person looking to "go into a rage" isn't capable of contacting the media on their own? I don't see a problem with the inquiry.

Sure. Who will they pick for the scoop?

I wonder who's already booked flights to, where is it, Progresso? Ann Curry maybe?

Excuse me? I did not justify the breakdown of the Triumph. I asked a simple question regarding how many times per year that all Carnival ships sail without incident.....the total number of all ships and cruises combined. :rolleyes:

But the Triumph was having mechanical issues since December. When does a ship having problems get taken out of service for repairs? That's the question that should be answered.

The way it was written Grits made it sound like you making a very different statement (to more than some of us) because the answer to the question is thousands and is apparent to most of us, so it was very easy to read your comment the other way. Apparently you were seriously asking the question? so no harm, no foul.

No you're missing what I'm staying, it's a stupid idea. If there is no power on the ship aside from emergency power, it isn't safe. Plain and simple. But you seem to know everything about everything so there is no point in arguing any further.

She should contact the reporter, she has "all the answers":rolleyes:

Archived