Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Jon, great point on Cuban and while I don't know him personally, I know people that do. Cuban is pretty brash but he's media savvy. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Cuban would have been in Mobile personally carrying off luggage. Granted, he would have gone on his corporate jet and stayed in the best hotel suite in town but still... He would have used the media to do damage control. Again, I don't know what if anything Arison did this week. But I certainly didn't see him do anything visible to improve his company's image. And if he did go to basketball games this week, I stand by my thought that it was insensitive to do so.

K Im thinking you might be right about Cuban. He seems different on the Shark tank than he does at basketball games.

I dont think Micky did anything. Did he even make a statement.

He could have gone out on his Yacht and helped .

ANd a follow up to your other post

I agree all the props need to go to the crew that made this terrible situation bearable

A few pax interviewed on CNN even said they were glad to be in Mobile, not some "dusty little town in Mexico".

Mobile was closer than Galveston with a easier access to the port. Again, the same folks that wanted Progresso, would choose Galveston over as second choice over Mobile for the same reasons.

Mobile actually worked out for EVERYBODY. Except the people that would have liked 1 or 2. Sure the shipyard right across the channel played into the decision, as well it should have. How LUCKY could they be that the closest port wast right next to the shipyard. None of the passengers seemed to care either. I heard not one person say I wish we were in Galveston or Progresso.

Spot on.

The impugning of CCL's motives in choosing Mobile vs Galveston is so 2000 posts ago. It was the right decision and has been backed up by expert opinion.

\The only people that wanted Triumph to go to Progresso are the "I want carnival to loose money " bunch.

Exactly... Anti-Cheerleaders.... BAH...

Could Carnival done things different? Sure

Should they (and other cruise lines) make contengency plans for events like this in the future? Yes

Should Carnival (basicly it's shareholders which are Pension, Mutual, and 401K funds) suffer because of this? Only if they are found neglegent (They knew this would happen)..

New CC news article

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5209

Vance Gulliksen, a Carnival Cruise Lines spokesman, told Cruise Critic he did not know how many buses or passengers went to each destination. Gulliksen said he also didn't know whether the company's president and CEO had traveled to New Orleans with the passengers.

Crew members, meanwhile, are resting in Mobile hotels. All ship's crew will receive their "full and normal compensation" for this sailing, Gulliksen said.

More terrible PR... CCL spokesman not knowing how many pax went where, meh, but not knowing if the CEO went with them...:confused:

At least they're not shorting the crew but they should be paying out bonuses and playing up the amazing job they did. The crew really saved the day for Carnival. And there are so many positive stories about the crew that deserve to be told, and it's sad that it probably won't be told by the media, nor CCL. I have more faith in the pax though. Give it a few days and I am sure we will hear story after story on Cruise Critic of amazing things that the crew did.

So agree here,, we as passengers really have a chance to get it back to the camradarie and fun with crew I experienced on the first Carnival cruise...It was not just a party cruise either, it was an incredibly great west Coast 4 day on Paradise, gee I want another cruise like that..simple, pampering, regular people form all walks most with class and diginity, families on college grad trips..fun family kareoke, clean clean clean cabin with sheets and tons of ice, great table waiters at a huge table, great spa services, 2 fun ok shows..it was a wonderful very nice economical cruise...Sarah

Regardless of what Carnival said in public, I don't think they ever considered anyplace other than Mobile. The ship was closer to Progreso even after it had drifted north and they started towing it. The ship is already in the drydock this morning. Mobile was always going to be the destination.

Have you heard nothing about the problems of towing this and any ship against the ocean current?

You pose accusations as questions, that is tatic to attribute guilt without any evidence to support your contention. Do you know the speed tugs can travel? How is going to Mobile more sinister than going to Progresso? How would the logistics of gettting people home from Progresso compare to Mobile?

Resolve Pioneer: Max Speed 11 kts criuise 9.5kts

Remember they were traveling possibly in a current. Not sure where they came from or if they were already u/w.

I applaud CCL's actions thus far. I haven't seen anything but a good effort on their part to do right by the passengers.

I know some people have a hard time taking off from work and those are the ones hit hardest by this, but the majority of people will end coming out ahead.

They got to enjoy a "normal" cruise for 75% of the time, then the "poo-barge" for another 4-5 days, that cruise is free, travel expense for that one is being covered,$500 (or $1000 depending on source) and another free cruise in the future........AND an awsome story you'll always remember. I wish I had been on the ship instead of at my job for the last week.

Yes, I have, and where did they end up going? So what's the problem?

So you think they just told everyone they were going to Mexico, looked into what it would take to get everyone home just to throw everyone off their real intentions of going to Mobile?

I learned something a long time ago, if you want to make a successful argument you have to appear to be unbiased.

So saying only negative or only positive things, probably won't get the stuff you say much credibility.

There were both negatives and positives in CCL's management decisions during this ordeal.

What's happened with the dirt bag who got on CNN earlier this week and called all the passengers savages and said that his wife was beside herself with grief and agony? Was he in Mobile last night to welcome her with Roses for Valentine's day, and did she get interviewed by CNN to confirm all the stories of the miserable plight of the passengers and how inhumane everyone else was. They seem to be remarkably silent or no one on these threads thinks that his information was factual.

What's happened with the (*snip*) who got on CNN earlier this week and called all the passengers savages and said that his wife was beside herself with grief and agony? Was he in Mobile last night to welcome her with Roses for Valentine's day' date=' and did she get interviewed by CNN to confirm all the stories of the miserable plight of the passengers and how inhumane everyone else was. They seem to be remarkably silent or no one on these threads thinks that his information was factual.[/quote']

That was Brent Nutt. The "savages" comment was only picked up in a few less-than-reputable news sources. Other statements from Nutt were more widely reported.

CNN did interview Brent Nutt and his wife in person last night, but he was more circumspect in person. He was not happy but he did not go on at length about it.

So you think they just told everyone they were going to Mexico, looked into what it would take to get everyone home just to throw everyone off their real intentions of going to Mobile?

I'm not taking the bait on a fight with you here. Carnival got them back on dry land. The passengers are headed home. The ship is already in drydock. End of story.

I'm gonna get this out of the way and hopefully all who post will read and then not write something speculating about these things:

1) Triumph had an engine room fire that disabled it. We do not know if the fire was related to previous engine issues (an investigation will be done and several US agencies will have some involvement).

2) Removing passengers from the ship while in open waters is physically possible but is dangerous. Since the vessel was in no danger of sinking, there was no reason to remove passengers. (CG said it shouldn't be done)

3) Mobile was selected over the following closest ports: NOLA, Tampa, Galveston, and Progreso... Currents moved the ship about 90 miles after it was disabled. The current made Progreso difficult to reach. Triumph can't get under the bridge in Tampa. NOLA is too far up the river for a disabled ship. Galveston was against some of the currents and further than Mobile... (The dry dock in Mobile was likely a factor, but not the deciding one)

4) The crew was amazing.

5) The passengers on board did their best to help each other in a difficult situation.

6) It is impossible to know what compensation is fair. We weren't there and, therefore, have no ability to tell what is fair.

7) CCL will be fine after this disaster.

8) The ship was late arriving yesterday because both tugboats had problems (1 with prop and 1 with toe rope).

Hopefully that ends some of the speculation.

My only question was with #2. After the initial event, it seems everyone assumed it was over (and it was). However, if I had been on that ship, my biggest fear would be that the fire was not completely out and would re-ignite without the ability to stop it used the first time. Everyone would be in a panick mode trying to get off a ship on-fire with no power. Then everyone would be asking why they didn't get off the ship when they had the chance.

I would believe that a ship that has had such a significant event would not be considered safe at all. At the very least, rescue ships should have been enroute and on close standby should an evacuation be required.

And the arguing is STILL going on!!

Maybe this is something we can all agree on....Carnival haters and Carnival cheerleaders.....WELCOME BACK, Triumph passengers! I am SO glad you all made it back safely!!:)

Amen. Now back to our regularly scheduled booze smuggling, chair hogging, "the stewart (sic) called me by my first name!" threads.

Where is that beating the dead horse emoticon when you need it?

People saying all Carnival is doing isnt enough is just laughable. This is the country of entitled babies we have become. Something doesnt go our way and we feel like we should just get showered with all sorts of compensation. They are getting their money back even though the cruise did technically have 2 of their days fine. It would do nothing for their PR but they could really say they will jsut refund half (like I pretty sure it says in the agreement you sign) and be done with it.

Something went wrong. It wasnt like Carnival set a fire to keep people on board to milk them of more money. It could have been a lot worse and Im sure you can ask someone who was on the Concordia who had to ditch all their personal belongings and then jump into freezing water and swim how bad it could be.

Really? Really? LOL!!

So you know for a fact how Carnival made the decision to go to Mobile?

If you do please let us all know how you know. Otherwise you are no better than all the other posters who have disappeared from this thread now that the passengers haven't all came ashore screaming bloody murder.

Archived