Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

WOW not bad for a Coastie:pJK

We had Halon on the Tarawa

Back in the day we used halon

Today fm200 (a 3m product) is used

It will put out fires by lowering the o2 but not to the point where a human can't survive

Started in combat systems and is in any data center worth is salt

Back in the day we used halon

Today fm200 (a 3m product) is used

It will put out fires by lowering the o2 but not to the point where a human can't survive

Started in combat systems and is in any data center worth is salt

We had FM-200 as well, but in a power plant.

"Someone" (but no one would confess) - tripped the suppression unit. $28,000 later, we had recharged system :mad:

Hopefully that stuff is cheaper today.

Reporting the news is one thing, sensationalizing it is another. It seems like anytime they start to interview someone who says "It was bad, but manageable", the interview is terminated. They act like they want someone to tell them how it was worse than being trapped in a episode of The Walking Dead. I'm sure we'll hear from people who were on the ship, including a few CC members, in the next day or two. Then we'll see if it was Truth in Reporting or just a ratings grab.

I've kept up with this entire thread and this post made me feel the need to reply.........

I love The Walking Dead and cracked up when I read this! Can you imagine if there were some walkers on board and the passengers had to defend themselves?

In all seriousness I'm glad everyone is safe and back on dry ground! We sail on the Conquest in June and I'm off to search the safety reports.......

So do the passengers get credit for all the days of the cruise? or just the original 5, or none because they did not pay for the cruise?

Someone posted on another thread about getting one less day of credit when their cruise was shortened by a day due to Sandy. So the Triumph passengers should get 8 days instead of 4.

I think the main thing that could have been better is regular onboard announcements, even if all that could be said is that there is no new information.

This is what was done on the Splendor, and the passengers there appreciated it.

A number, perhaps most of the passengers interviewed indicated that they felt left out.

I've often wondered if ship disaster response plans include the designation of someone as a "passenger communications" person. That is, someone with the dedicated or mostly dedicated job of collecting information and briefing the passengers at regular (maybe even scheduled) intervals.

I wonder if the difference was that John Heald was on the Splendor? I read some of his blogs from the time of the Splendor fire, and I know he mentioned how often passengers had communication from him...it was frequent!

A little of that "humor" thing as we head to the 6000th post:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bus-transporting-carnival-cruise-passengers-crashe,31322/

LOL - love it. I looked there earlier this week. I used to live in Madison where the Onion started (paper copy).

Here is my favorite - still cracks me up.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/family-dog-suspected-cause-of-miniature-chuckwagon,795/

What about those that parked in other cities, they should get theirs adjusted also.

really they should just collect all the receipts, make copies and send them in to Carnival and I bet they will get it all back, including if they sent in the pay problem, it would get taken care of also.

CCL said they are paying for all the parking (falls in travel expenses reimbursement)

Carnival management and staff did an outstanding job of dealing with this situation. The staff stepped up to the task.

Our friends who were on the ship said they were embarrassed to be Americans because of all the whining and complaining about things that could not be helped given the circumstances.

Our next cruise is in two weeks on NCL, but we will be booking a Carnival soon.

Glad the situation didn't create any REAL damages to people and only stuff on the ship that can be fixed.

One idea for extra compensation that I haven't seen floated is really a non-monetary concept-- automatically upgrading every passenger on Triumph to platinum status for life. For those that decide to give Carnival another chance, at least they'll know that they will have a number of perks waiting for them to improve their future cruise experiences and hopefully bury this one in the past. Wouldn't cost the company much of anything and be another olive branch.

Carnival is already offering a future cruise voucher so it would certainly be consistent with the goal of making the passenger feel better about returning to the sea.

Don't you realize this would cause even more conflict because the platinum members wouldn't get anything and would complain about the others getting something and them getting nothing.

This would be a slap in the face to Carnival's best customers.

And no, you couldn't move the platinum members up to diamond because then the diamond members would complain.

Regardless of what Carnival said in public, I don't think they ever considered anyplace other than Mobile. The ship was closer to Progreso even after it had drifted north and they started towing it. The ship is already in the drydock this morning. Mobile was always going to be the destination.

Who cares about distance? It's about time, not distance. And the United States Coast Guard said the least amount of time would be going to Mobile. Once there, they also said it would be easier to get them home than it would be from Progresso.

Not sure why you and a few others wanted the passengers to endure this even longer. Maybe you think the United States Coast Guard are liars?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Just watched this little video from someone who was on board the Triumph.

This video is very well-done.

From everything I have read, the crew was amazing.

I had/have compassion for everyone on the cruise. Glad they are back 'home'.

We have cruised with Carnival, Royal, Celebrity and Princess - and have enjoyed them all. Blessings and peace to everyone.

As others have stated on this thread, Carnival is not worried about this incident whatsoever. They will change absolutely nothing. Their ships will still sail 98% full, they will not lose any bookings and their stock price has only dropped 5% which will recover very quickly when news reports die down. When you're the cheapest cruise line in the world, people will continue to book with you. So take your chances and don't complain if you're eating onion sandwiches for a week. You get what you pay for.

Great video. Thanks for posting!!

That video is great... Seeing the passengers were organizing the recharge stations so everyone could charge their phones is pretty awesome (shows true human spirit)... Also learned that apparently, they were able to power the movie theater.

CNN embarrassing themselves again tonight with this special on the Triumph. No matter what the passengers say, the keep asking leading negative questions hoping to find something up latch onto. Like last night, this did not go well for CNN.

I have FAR more respect for Carnival than I do for CNN.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Well now she been towed to the dry dock area right?

Yes, the ship was moved from the cruise terminal across the river to a drydock at one of the shipyards. She was sitting fully in the drydock and all the tugs were gone when I left work at 12:30 today. I think the move was somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00.

Archived