Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The cost of the rooms does not correlate to the costs born by the passengers. I am lucky enough I could handle the additional lost wages and costs, but many people can't without an impact or dipping into an emergency fund if they have it. My personal opinion is that because that is more common than my situation, I believe Carnival should do more than 500 in dollars.

They are. Passengers get back in cash what they paid Carnival for this cruise.

I think you misinterpreted my comment. I would never use the LMAO in reference to anyone's service to our country. The reply was to someone who suggested that being on a stinky ships was the only problem faced by a passenger.

No Problem.... i Just saw a few posts referencing the military and just wondering if you had walked in our Boots;)

No Problem.... i Just saw a few posts referencing the military and just wondering if you had walked in our Boots;)

Thank you for your service. I spent 30 years in law enforcement instead. I've had my close calls but nothing compared to being in combat.

Thank you for your service. I spent 30 years in law enforcement instead. I've had my close calls but nothing compared to being in combat.
Corpsman are there to make sure everyone comes home:o

I know lots PD. Most get OT watching the SF Giants or 49s playing..LMAO at them all the time:p But its all good. You pick on the ones you respect;)

It always good to know PD has your back

One idea for extra compensation that I haven't seen floated is really a non-monetary concept-- automatically upgrading every passenger on Triumph to platinum status for life.

That will upset the Diamond members on that cruise, being demoted to Platinum...and for life.

Most people are going to be fine, if someone passes in next 30 days from a virus or related complication because older..this situation may OR MAY NOT have been the cause...in the best of situations when we are around a lot of public places with worse ventilation we are exposed to more,,,but we are all exposed to everything just living. and guess what...we all are going to die of something!! Was an extra shock for my mom cause as an active grandma, teacher, reading volunteer, quilter groups, scrapbook groups, senior activities galore..that it ended up to be a weird virus..and we still don't know where she got it and never will..it was not the cruise per se that did it.

It just did not help like any other public situation does not help...i had to get off a train for an hour at midnite and wait for another car with all there coming home from a concert when somone threw up.

Pray for all in next 30 days especially..but as bad as this was...with things making things worse....people had ability to rinse hands in cold water and use sanitizers..watch those in front and in back of them and what was going on with food they took, Sanjay said while he understood everyone's concerns (and we all would ave one with a loved one especially in an inside cabin) chances were not high that they would catch things form the human waste issues...and that prophilactic (sp) antibiotics were not wise or needed and could make you sick. It is just the same stuff we all fight every day and yet more compact due to sleeping conditions outside of rooms etc. sleeping outside was probably a great idea...keep an extra prayer for the folks for a month..but all should be fine...Sarah

Let me see if I can clear up the firefighting procedures. They should be real pretty close to what we used on a CG or Navy ship.

Fire spotted....fire reported to the bridge with TYPE of fire A: fire that leaves and ash B: combustibal liquid or oil; C: electrical D: burning metal (magisium etc)....can have a combination of all four but D is rare, B and C are most common... Call away the fire team In this case was probably Alpha team from reports passed.

at scene of fire in E/R: (these are your guys on watch in probably coveralls etc) initial action with what ever fire ext to engineroom mounted fire extinguishing agents with foam etc.. all machinery being. IF its too hot/smoky, the initial team backs out secures the entry door, Ventalition and compartnment secured.(make compt air tight). At this point the fire is turned over to Alpha team, the E/R is clear of personell and everything should be shut down.

Alpha team mans up..makes entry...original team possibly the back up hose team now.as there dressed out. Remember the fire has been burning for some time.

Alpha team make re-entry into the e/r with two hose teams. Reports on condition fire, either puts out fire: Good, back out and back up team is the reflash watch. OR

Fire Out of Control...... Too big to handle by a hose teams. Time to energize CO2 fire suppression system ...

Compt emptied of all personnel and totally air tight. Reported to the Captain that compt is CLEAR of all personnel, Order from Probably the Captain to Dump the system.

System engerized, all oxygen displaced in the compt. Fire needs oxygen to continue. At this point the fire is either out and is monitored from out side. At this point I'm not sure of how long thjey wait to go back in, probably at least an hour. Now a days they have cameras, thermal imagining equip so they can see the fire is out. Then they assess the damange.

During this other teams should have ALREADY set fire boundary's, above forward and aft of the engine compt. If nothing else is burning, the fire is limited to one compartment, with maybe some small heat damage or small fires immediately around the E/R. Sounds like they did a good job of containing it to only the aft engine room where it started. lucky them!!

Compts are ventilated of smoke, etc.

This procedure can take hours, after the CO2 is dumped,. So since everything was secured, its still all secured

I heard someone say the fire was 1250 deg, probably correct, probably hotter too in spots.

This is a quicky, not a whole ships firefighting doctrine, which they should have and sounds like they practiced.

Billd

The only thing you may have missed is the on watch crew securing power to affected equipment right after making the report.(especially for a Class C)

Again, I ask you directly, since you seem to be an "expert" were you there? Your hometown says NYC, so don't start pretending to know how the people living in third world countries feel. Because you don't know that either. Bottom line, this story is still on the news because folks are interested, folks who never set a foot on a cruiseship. They are "horrifed" to think that a simple vacation can be turn into a third world country at sea. And since you seem to be such an expert, please report what happens when folks defecate all over the place without properly washing their hands. How long, exactly, does it take for someone to get sick from that? Because you know all the answers. Maybe you know all the answers in your head, but I'm waiting for the investigation.

Entire world horrified???

Hyperbole at its finest...heres your answers...there was a fire in the engine room on one of CCLs more than 100 ships. No passengers or crew were injured or killed. The fire was extinguished but propulsion ceased and the ship was towed to a port in the US. The inconvenienced passengers received a full refund plus 500 dollars and a free future cruise for their inconvenience.

Please pass on these answers to those horrified people in Syria, Uganda, Laos, Bolivia, MalI, Chad and Tasmania and the rest of all the world horrified by this earthshaking event

Again, I ask you directly, since you seem to be an "expert" were you there? Your hometown says NYC, so don't start pretending to know how the people living in third world countries feel. Because you don't know that either. Bottom line, this story is still on the news because folks are interested, folks who never set a foot on a cruiseship. They are "horrifed" to think that a simple vacation can be turn into a third world country at sea. And since you seem to be such an expert, please report what happens when folks defecate all over the place without properly washing their hands. How long, exactly, does it take for someone to get sick from that? Because you know all the answers. Maybe you know all the answers in your head, but I'm waiting for the investigation.

You should talk. Talk about hyperbole. Defecate all over the place? You were there?

Sent using my Commodore 64

I have one last (I hope) question for those on the Triumph (both on the ship in reality and in their minds)

I have heard stories about there being urine and poop on the floors and running down the walls,

I have also hear stories that the ship was listing to one side any amount from 4% to 40 %,

So here is my question,

Why did you keep going to the low side of the ship? common sense says if there is a puddle down to your (left/right/front/back) DON'T PLAY IN IT, you will only get wet. Water runs down hill, so again I will ask.

WHY DID YOU KEEP GOING TO THE LOW SIDE OF THE SHIP?

I am not judging, criticizing, or anything, I am just curious as to why.

They are. Passengers get back in cash what they paid Carnival for this cruise.

I understand that, but that is a refund of the cruise. Certainly to don't think they shouldn't get that.

I believe the non refund payout should be higher. Which is ok, people get to have different opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I understand that, but that is a refund of the cruise. Certainly to don't think they shouldn't get that.

I believe the non refund payout should be higher. Which is ok, people get to have different opinions.

For the record, we are receiving a full refund for the original cruise, a credit for a future cruise, and $500 per guest.

I have one last (I hope) question for those on the Triumph (both on the ship in reality and in their minds)

I have heard stories about there being urine and poop on the floors and running down the walls,

I have also hear stories that the ship was listing to one side any amount from 4% to 40 %,

So here is my question,

Why did you keep going to the low side of the ship? common sense says if there is a puddle down to your (left/right/front/back) DON'T PLAY IN IT, you will only get wet. Water runs down hill, so again I will ask.

WHY DID YOU KEEP GOING TO THE LOW SIDE OF THE SHIP?

I am not judging, criticizing, or anything, I am just curious as to why.

The ship did indeed list both port and starboard at different time with the maximun list being 5 degrees.

People did not "keep going to the low side of the ship" as in some cases the "puddle" was confined to certain rooms.

For the record, we are receiving a full refund for the original cruise, a credit for a future cruise, and $500 per guest.

I understand that. I also recall that other travel expenses are being reimbursed.

I also suspect that because 3k people is a lot of people some people are thrilled with that, some are happy, all the way down to some people feel abused.

I think the overall package is fair and am glad they are offering it, although I personally wish that the non-refund cash was higher. That's it...no craziness from me...just an opinion.

I'd love to know if most of the passengers think this is acceptable or not.

....without reading thru 6,000 posts!!

For us, sure. The only thing I'm pushing for is for the credit to be for a longer cruise. It ended up being an 8 day cruise, I'd like a 7-8 day cruise in return - LOL

For us, sure. The only thing I'm pushing for is for the credit to be for a longer cruise. It ended up being an 8 day cruise, I'd like a 7-8 day cruise in return - LOL

I just hope Carnival doesn't just credit you for a 3 day "cruise" and a 5 day "camping trip".:D

But I hear that CCL in looking into buying some KOA locations.......... in Kansas:eek:

I understand that. I also recall that other travel expenses are being reimbursed.

I also suspect that because 3k people is a lot of people some people are thrilled with that, some are happy, all the way down to some people feel abused.

I think the overall package is fair and am glad they are offering it, although I personally wish that the non-refund cash was higher. That's it...no craziness from me...just an opinion.

I honestly think that those who feel "abused" are the drama queens/kings you saw on the news. There were threats of lawsuits from the very beginning. IMO, there is ALWAYS going to be that element with this many people involved.

There was actually a lawyer on board, telling people not to sign anything. He had quite an audience there for a while...

I honestly think that those who feel "abused" are the drama queens/kings you saw on the news. There were threats of lawsuits from the very beginning. IMO, there is ALWAYS going to be that element with this many people involved.

There was actually a lawyer on board, telling people not to sign anything. He had quite an audience there for a while...

My lawyer would kill me if I signed anything legal without a consult.

(So would my wife!)

Archived