Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

There was a very active posting by a supposed Triumph passenger that I no long see. Did CC remove it because of some of the possible false accusations (number of bodies taken off the ship)?

That OP was a brand new poster- maybe like maggie...purple?

For sure there were lots of rumors, the most outrageous being that an 82 year-old woman had died and was being stored in the main freezer.

To the best of my knowledge, 3 people were evacuated. One was in need of dialysis (didn't plan on the cruise being that long), one was for a broken hip, and the last was for another medical emergency that many believe was a heart attack.

Other than those 3, there wee not any deaths or injuries.

I just hope Carnival doesn't just credit you for a 3 day "cruise" and a 5 day "camping trip".:D

But I hear that CCL in looking into buying some KOA locations.......... in Kansas:eek:

LOL DirtDawg! Maybe I can swing a 3 day cruise with a 5 day shore excursion! Cozumel was fantastic - thanks for the great idea!

For sure there were lots of rumors, the most outrageous being that an 82 year-old woman had died and was being stored in the main freezer.

To the best of my knowledge, 3 people were evacuated. One was in need of dialysis (didn't plan on the cruise being that long), one was for a broken hip, and the last was for another medical emergency that many believe was a heart attack.

Other than those 3, there wee not any deaths or injuries.

The third evacuee may have been http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37128595&postcount=5004

The ship did indeed list both port and starboard at different time with the maximun list being 5 degrees.

People did not "keep going to the low side of the ship" as in some cases the "puddle" was confined to certain rooms.

Thanks. If you read all 6000 posts here or other threads, you would see people (not anyone actually on the ship) caliming the whole ship was sewage infested, urine and defacate material flowing down hallways and into everyones room, people starving and not being given food, people acting like savages, and even one media person claiming people were fighting for their lives.

Glad you survived it and are back home.

I honestly think that those who feel "abused" are the drama queens/kings you saw on the news..

The drama queens were also the media and some people here. Shame on them for trying to make a bad situation even worse. I don't know what is wrong with some people.

Entire world horrified???

Hyperbole at its finest...heres your answers...there was a fire in the engine room on one of CCLs more than 100 ships. No passengers or crew were injured or killed. The fire was extinguished but propulsion ceased and the ship was towed to a port in the US. The inconvenienced passengers received a full refund plus 500 dollars and a free future cruise for their inconvenience.

Please pass on these answers to those horrified people in Syria, Uganda, Laos, Bolivia, MalI, Chad and Tasmania and the rest of all the world horrified by this earthshaking event

Tasmania? Which part of the third world does Tasmania belong to? Australia isn't third world!

Actually, its pretty much been a bit of a headline for the last week in Australia and we are only getting the bad stuff.

But again, your comparisons are irrelevant, and as I said in another thread, its like telling survivors of the recent NY storm (sorry, don't remember the name) that they are actually lucky, because they don't live in the rubbish dumps of Manila.

I honestly think that those who feel "abused" are the drama queens/kings you saw on the news. There were threats of lawsuits from the very beginning. IMO, there is ALWAYS going to be that element with this many people involved.

There was actually a lawyer on board, telling people not to sign anything. He had quite an audience there for a while...

Not surprising. Glad you are home and in good spirits. And hope you get your wish for a longer cruise credit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tasmania? Which part of the third world does Tasmania belong to? Australia isn't third world!

Actually, its pretty much been a bit of a headline for the last week in Australia and we are only getting the bad stuff.

But again, your comparisons are irrelevant, and as I said in another thread, its like telling survivors of the recent NY storm (sorry, don't remember the name) that they are actually lucky, because they don't live in the rubbish dumps of Manila.

I believe you missed my point. The Einstein I was responding to claimed that the entire world was horrified about a single ship accident involving no fatalities or danger and for which the passengers received significant compensation. My attempt at satire merely underscored that a large part of the world was probably neither horrified nor gave a hoot about it.

I meant no slight at Tasmania nor any other part of the great Aussie nation and remain forever grateful for their generosityfor allowing me to visitfor a week while serving my Uncle Sam in Vietnam during 1968

Many of my friends have been asking me ..or telling me...about the Triumph, especially those that don't like cruises or who have never cruised :)

It has been a hot topic LOL.

I personally will cruise...but that doesn't mean I discount the suffering of those who were stuck on Triumph.

I think I will take flashlight, more books to read...I have been thru 2 1/2 weeks with no power following a Hurricaine so I guess I can "survive" and I am healthy and on no medication (knock on wood) Oh yeah..pack those rum runners and portashots LOL. Bring on a 12 pack of soda and h20.

but...yeah I think people will think about it. I was thinking about going on a 4 night on Victory and now....well I hated Destiny (having bad air cond problems)...and Destiny/Triumph/Victory are essentially same type ship...so I don't know

On a happy note....I do plan on MSC Divina which is one of only 4 ships with "return to port" backup/redundant capacity...so that is a good thought

This has also given me new respect for the Breeze and new "interest" in the Breeze....one of the other 4 ships with that built in capacity (others are NCL Breakaway and MSC Preozia.)

The other thing I can't figure out : it seems as if conditions on Triumph were much worse than on the Splendor when it was "dead in the water" in the Pacific. Any idea why???

The other thing I can't figure out : it seems as if conditions on Triumph were much worse than on the Splendor when it was "dead in the water" in the Pacific. Any idea why???

a) There was a US aircraft carrier nearby which was able to deliver more supplies quickly

b) They were able to restore the toilets quicker as the type of damage to the electrical systems was different

a) There was a US aircraft carrier nearby which was able to deliver more supplies quickly

b) They were able to restore the toilets quicker as the type of damage to the electrical systems was different

Thanks for giving this info (re: why Triumph seemed so much worse off than Splendor)

The toilet situation really made a huge difference I do think....they were bored, ate cold food etc on Splendor but the sanitary conditions were better.

Thanks

We were scheduled to sail on the Triumph on March 11. After hearing the news about the fire and such I was going to call Carnival but our TA from CruCon called me to say that sailing is cancelled. We were offered a full refund but no refund on trip insurance.

Curious who you bought insurance from, and what is the reason they are not refunding it?

CCL kinda just "lucked" out on the carrier. The carrier was doing drills not too far from where the Splendor got stranded... There were no carriers doing drills near the Triumph.

Hmm....maybe they should have paid to airlift in more supplies or send boats out with more supplies??

The explanation about the toilets is important..that seems to be the one factor that made Triumph such a horror

I personally have "survived" for 2 1/2 weeks with no electricity in Florida hed after wilma....using Fema rations and Fema ice as needed....

cold food, grilled food, windows open, whatever, cold showers...but the plumbing worked

The red bags and pee pee in shower is what grosses me out here

Archived