Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Yes, the ship was moved from the cruise terminal across the river to a drydock at one of the shipyards. She was sitting fully in the drydock and all the tugs were gone when I left work at 12:30 today. I think the move was somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00.

Is there a webcam there? I've looked but only found one in Mobile but don't think it's anywhere near the terminal area...thanks!

Yes, the ship was moved from the cruise terminal across the river to a drydock at one of the shipyards. She was sitting fully in the drydock and all the tugs were gone when I left work at 12:30 today. I think the move was somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00.

i wouldn't be surprised if a hazmat team isn't already on board the Triumph stripping all the soft goods and soft furnishings including mattresses, carpeting, upholstered furniture.

CNN embarrassing themselves again tonight with this special on the Triumph. No matter what the passengers say, the keep asking leading negative questions hoping to find something up latch onto. Like last night, this did not go well for CNN.

I have FAR more respect for Carnival than I do for CNN.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I didn't watch. I absolutely cannot stand Piers Morgan. I'm interested to hear what passengers on the ship have to say, but not at the expense of having to listen to that blowhard :p :D

I didn't watch. I absolutely cannot stand Piers Morgan. I'm interested to hear what passengers on the ship have to say, but not at the expense of having to listen to that blowhard :p :D

can't even imagine what untruths and exaggerations came out of his mouth. he is the epitome of what is bad about CNN, even moreso than Larry King could have even thought to be.

Here's a new NYT article with some speculation that Triumph might be renamed. Also, "a tale of two ships".

The bathrobes- OMG. I wear my carnival bathrobe constantly- it's my third one. My kids call it my "Bat Cape". Needless to say, they've been calling and texting and mocking me mercilessly....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/us/stranded-cruise-passengers-make-their-way-home.html?ref=us

Here's a new NYT article with some speculation that Triumph might be renamed. Also, "a tale of two ships".

The bathrobes- OMG. I wear my carnival bathrobe constantly- it's my third one. My kids call it my "Bat Cape". Needless to say, they've been calling and texting and mocking me mercilessly....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/us/stranded-cruise-passengers-make-their-way-home.html?ref=us

What is the problem, I think the other person has contributed MUCH more than you have, and I don't recall any mean criticism of the other posters, they have disagreed and shared opinion of the situation, but they have never told others that YOU should not be wasting all of out time tying up the boards.

Get a life you mean Ruthless poster

I agree with Ruthless Boss. She has been all over this board, needing to share her opinion on every freaking last thing. I did find many of her posts dismissive to those who would disagree with her. Snarky, roll eyes, replying "RAH RAH RAH!" to a poster (not I in this case) who would dare to say a + in regards to Carnival.

And then telling another poster who questioned one of her posts that she had already replied to 2 others, so she was done explaining. Why stop now? 400+ posts? It's only important to share her lofty opinion, not respond to those who would question it.

Why did the Legend get so close??? That was actually pretty shocking in the video posted above.!!!!

The maneuver they were performing is designed to make the area between the ships calmer. This makes it easier to move goods between the two ships.

Before someone says they should have offloaded passengers using this, STOP, pull head from sand, and realize passenger offload not safe.

That's my take on it too. They were fishing for the most negative comments and the angriest passengers. Most common question, "what was the worst or most challenging thing" clearly trying to direct the response.

I saw one of the few passengers who had mainly complaints, being asked to please stand by so they could get back to him later. After interviewing him for several minutes. Another party, a group of 4 Latina ladies, one of whom was celebrating a birthday I believe & had possibly a group of 30 along to celebrate - had only good to say. And after several minutes of this, not being able to gracefully shuffle them out - they continued to play the interview but cut the cameras away - to show people disembarking the ship. Honestly, the last few minutes of their time with the reporter they were off camera. Noticed these ladies were not asked to please stand by so we can talk to you further.

I wish I had recorded the Splendor live feed, it was awesome to watch... The media wasn't as organized and instead would end interviews when comments were too positive. I watched interviews for 2 hours, 3 interviews lasted more than 2 questions. Those were the only 3 I ever saw quoted by CNN... I LOVE CNN!!!

Just watched interview of someone representing some of the passengers and a cruise expert... Juan Williams did a great job of distorting facts and saying random stuff without any real knowledge of anything.

Did you listen to the passenger a bit ago (or a couple others CNN aloowed on for a bit) who said the media (like some here) were building it up to be even worse than it was? Did you hear him say that a lot of the water was just that, water. Because sprinklers came on in certain areas when the fire happened? Did you hear him say water was restored 2 days ago? Or that they had 15 helo drops of food or that 4 other CCL ships dropped things off? Or that they got some grills working and there was grilled chicken and crab sandwiches yesterday and steak and lobster tonight?

Sure, there is no doubt it has been rougher on some people more than others and it has been a horrible situation. Especially those down low in an inside cabin. But I have heard several passengers say that they felt communications have been great and that CCL people had gone over and above to try and make a bad situation better.

But of course, the media, like some here, are going to find the worst cases and try to make it sound like it was the norm. One media lady on TV today even said people were just trying to stay alive. HUH? I bet when the ship arrives, the media will clutch on to anyone they can find that will have the most miserable stories and dismiss anyone that says it was sensationalized. Some posters here will do the same.

CNN especially, is a disgrace.

That's my take on it too. They were fishing for the most negative comments and the angriest passengers. Most common question, "what was the worst or most challenging thing" clearly trying to direct the response.

I saw one of the few passengers who had mainly complaints, being asked to please stand by so they could get back to him later. After interviewing him for several minutes. Another party, a group of 4 Latina ladies, one of whom was celebrating a birthday I believe & had possibly a group of 30 along to celebrate - had only good to say. And after several minutes of this, not being able to gracefully shuffle them out - they continued to play the interview but cut the cameras away - to show people disembarking the ship. Honestly, the last few minutes of their time with the reporter they were off camera. Noticed these ladies were not asked to please stand by so we can talk to you further.

Great video! Thanks for posting...my heart goes out to all the passengers and crew that lived through that, and hope they all made it home without any more obstacles.

I was too open minded i think when I hear your explanation and take...I saw them going for both sides earlier talking about some of it depending alot on the mentality of the person. I sure hope to hear more of the good stories of all the people making friends and getting through...the video posted after Cahill got on ship and taking photos of folks in lido etc...looked much better than some of my imagination about food hoarding, though i am sure a few may have. But it was also truthful to where some had to move for air and sleeping and away from some sewage smell or worse.

In good conditions I would love a nice big tent area in daytime and for a overnight under the stars....LOL..Sarah

It also might depend on staff availability for some things. I suspect that a lot of crew members were shifted from doing things like entertainment to helping with food transport and other higher priority guest services. So I am not sure how much crew would have been able to entertain. Plus, I'd rather win a hamburger than a ship on a stick!

Can you imagine the headlines on this one if the media got wind of it?

PASSENGERS REQUIRED TO COMPETE IN TRIVIA CONTEST FOR FOOD :D

I'm sure the people were in high spirits simply because they were finally off the ship and had lots of media attention. It was just adrenaline. Like that feeling when you finally land after a 13 hour flight. It takes a few hours before that feeling wears off. It will only be today that they start to think about what they experienced.

Can you imagine the headlines on this one if the media got wind of it?

PASSENGERS REQUIRED TO COMPETE IN TRIVIA CONTEST FOR FOOD :D

Oh good god! Considering how ridiculously competitive and argumentative those contests can get on normal cruises, I can only imagine the violence if FOOD were at stake! :D

You know, I'm not going to argue with the Coast Guard but in the videos I've seen, the seas look pretty calm.

Am I wrong? Are the lifeboats lowered electrically?

I mean, really!

It really had nothing to do with sea state. That's something made up here. It has to do with a policy of the ship being the primary life boat. You do not evacuate a ship that is not in danger of being lost.

You know, I'm not going to argue with the Coast Guard but in the videos I've seen, the seas look pretty calm.

Am I wrong? Are the lifeboats lowered electrically?

I mean, really!

I honestly don't understand this.... The ship wasn't in danger of going down, how many bathrooms exactly are on a lifeboat? What about cooking facilities? What are you thinking that makes being adrift in the gulf of Mexico on a lifeboat better than being onboard Triumph?

While the people have been stuck on the ship, and there was nothing to do,

Just for fun, or maybe the entertainment staff having prizes, ship on a stick, funship freddy type of prizes?

Just think of the cut throat trivia competition if the prize for winning was a flashlight.

Archived