Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I have been on many cruises and I can't tell you how many times they anchor out away from the dock/port and they tender ALL passengers into the dock. (This is world wide) Are you saying that this is unsafe?

And many times the tender port is bypassed as the conditions are too rough to allow safe tendering. This has happened to us in ports around the world such as in French Polynesia, Australia, and Devil's Island near South America.

And many times the tender port is bypassed as the conditions are too rough to allow safe tendering. This has happened to us in ports around the world such as in French Polynesia, Australia, and Devil's Island near South America.

Very true. I tendered in Playa del Carmen when it really should have been canceled. The gangplank to the dock was like a roller coaster and you had to time your exit between waves.

But, I'm not sure what the correct number of updates are? A lady earlier on CNN that was referenced on this board claimed Carnival wasn't communicating at all.

She then proceed to state something along the lines of: First they told us we were getting off Wednesday, then Thursday morning, then Thursday night. Now we may not get off until Friday.

The problem here isn't lack of communication. They were communicating too specific at least based on her complaints.

Ever been sitting on an airplane circling a city and waiting to land?

First: We will we landing in xx minutes.

Later: We will be landing in yy minutes.

Even later: We will be landing in zz minutes.

And: Due to being low on fuel, we are diverting to xyz airport.

Carnival can only give their current plans and estimates, just at that pilot in the sky can.

The information is likely to change often. Keep people up-to-date with every change and the company is said to not know what it is doing. Wait until a final plan is known and the company is said not to be communicating.

The school I teach in has an excellent working toilet system, and our kids are all trained in covering their coughs, sneezes, and hand-washing, and yet for the past 2 weeks we have had 7-10 students absent per class with noro, flu, etc. Sometimes even with the best precautions one can't stop viruses from spreading.

Have you heard of even one single case where this happened to someone on the Carnival Splendor two years ago when the same thing happened with a fire and a total loss of power and toilet services? I never did.

Even Doctor Gupta on CNN said that he really doubted people on the Triumph were going to end up getting sick from the sewage.

There was not sewage rolling around and soaking the carpets.

There is a reason for sewage systems, sanitation and proper ventilation. Otherwise we would not go to the expense and just go without.

That said, I said some will get sick. Also some have low immune health issues. That does not mean everyone or even a lot will get sick.

The school I teach in has an excellent working toilet system, and our kids are all trained in covering their coughs, sneezes, and hand-washing, and yet for the past 2 weeks we have had 7-10 students absent per class with noro, flu, etc. Sometimes even with the best precautions one can't stop viruses from spreading.

This is how i got it. Sanjay said that in fecal mater alone, due to ability to sitll wash hands and drink good water and move away from wherever overflow was to better place inside or outside..disease fears he said not too bad. But the issue is all living so close and any bug people are carreying. If someone with hepititus did not wash hands well with worse toilet issues and prepared or served food...this is a problem. For older people or anyone immunosuppressed (sp) any virus or bacteria could be a bit more problem as people were in closer quarters and not just in their rooms. Any time on planes, buses, trains, ships and automobiles, in stores and schools you are more exposed..luckily....these folks have some risk but not a lot more than usual travel and life...Sarah

Bugs live everywhere....sometimes it is just bad luck and being older and immunosuppressed...the virus that killed my mom and got her heart...little kids usually catch and wart off in a few days..yes she came down with it in form of heart issues a day after the Alaska Disney ship Cruise and was gone in 32 days...but the doctors made it clear for my poor dad and niece that doing this trip was not "wrong"..you could have picked it up in grocery store the week before the cruise somehow...or doctor's office for last pre trip check-up. Every issue my mom had was just bad luck in all her health struggles and she was still vibrant until last month..always quilting and family albums...anyway..I had fears about this too for the people but after Dr. Sanjay's calming talk on Cnn and reflecting on things...many bugs can not be fully blamed on ship issues...they live everywhere...they did not help things however.

Take you vitamins, walk, and eat right and stay well hydrated. Wash your hands and do not touch your eyes especially after touching public rails etc.

You're judging someone without walking in their shoes...maybe even sewage covered shoes. Just sayin'...

Sorry but being stuck on a smelly cruise ship for only a few days is hardly a reason to claim that you lost the ability to be happy. Like someone mentioned, go talk to a soldier serving in third world hell holes for months. That woman is just a whiney baby who thinks she found a lottery ticket here.

Sorry but being stuck on a smelly cruise ship for only a few days is hardly a reason to claim that you lost the ability to be happy. Like someone mentioned, go talk to a soldier serving in third world hell holes for months. That woman is just a whiney baby who thinks she found a lottery ticket here.

LMAO! And you know this was her only issue how? You're soldier reference is just hyperbole. Soldiers volunteer and are highly trained for that duty. Cruisers are not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad the ship made it to port and things are getting back to normal.

Not taking anything from this serious situation but sometimes humor can get you through a tough situation.

Here is my counterpoint from the movie Airplane

I'm looking for Airplane on Netflix. I haven't seen it in years.

This was a very serious situation but it could have been much worse. The fire supression system was the most important thing at the time. Had it failed we wouldn't be discussing red bags but the other kind with zippers.

I was on the Star when she burned. One man died and others were injured. Life is a gamble. You can stay home and die bored or get out and have fun. This was not the first cruise disaster and will not be the last.

LMAO! And you know this was her only issue how? You're soldier reference is just hyperbole. Soldiers volunteer and are highly trained for that duty. Cruisers are not.

Because hearing the majority of stories coming from this ship, it seems like these passengers came together and made the best of a horrid situation. Im sure it was awful but to come home and immediately run to a lawyer is just pathetic. Its one of the problems with our society. Whenever someone isnt given what they expect, they feel like they are owed something. You know what, bad things happen in life. Go home, poop in your own toilet, take a hot shower, spend time with your loved ones and be happy you still have a life to live.

My point about the soliders is that there are people in this world, trained or not, who can and do live in those conditions. So for someone to complain that their happiness is ruined because of them is just sad.

a couple of questions.

some news sources reported that the ship was a giant petri (sp) dish and that thousands of passengers were probably sick and that a disease epidemic was probably spreading through the ship faster than the fire would have.

personally i haven't heard any of the returning passengers talking about disease or even about seasickness (even though they were listing 45 degrees as reported by an onboard passenger). people were damn uncomfortable but no one is reporting medical issues that went untreated, or people getting physically sick from a lack of air conditioning and no one was immediately evacuated to a hospital once back on shore that I heard about. where are all these disease ridden medically compromised individuals who waded in filth up to their knees and were denied even bread and water. Anyone?

ETA: does the Triumph have mini-bars in its cabins?

Instead of a general anti-media rant, why not link the specific article(s) you find objectionable? I don't think you'll find any that talk about disease ridden individuals who waded in filth up to their knees and were denied bread and water. You'll only find that kind of hyperbole in your post.

Soldiers are trained for what ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugs live everywhere....sometimes it is just bad luck and being older and immunosuppressed...the virus that killed my mom and got her heart...little kids usually catch and wart off in a few days..yes she came down with it in form of heart issues a day after the Alaska Disney ship Cruise and was gone in 32 days...but the doctors made it clear for my poor dad and niece that doing this trip was not "wrong"..you could have picked it up in grocery store the week before the cruise somehow...or doctor's office for last pre trip check-up. Every issue my mom had was just bad luck in all her health struggles and she was still vibrant until last month..always quilting and family albums...anyway..I had fears about this too for the people but after Dr. Sanjay's calming talk on Cnn and reflecting on things...many bugs can not be fully blamed on ship issues...they live everywhere...they did not help things however.

Take you vitamins, walk, and eat right and stay well hydrated. Wash your hands and do not touch your eyes especially after touching public rails etc.

How sad and shocking to lose your Mother that way Sarah. My deepest condolences to you! You wouldn't want bad luck to have a part in ending anyone's life, but when it happens to your own Mom, I know - it can feel like the Universe sucks.

Gross out alert - please quit reading now all those who get grossed out easily*****

As for the possibility of getting sick from the bad sanitation I was watching & caught most of the interview when Sanjay was speaking. I know when people throw up in proximity to others & esp. missing the toilet it can spread to others nearby. Read an article recently of a school soccer team in the area, with most of the team all coming down with Noro when one of the girls on the team threw up in a corridor of the stadium before she could get to a bathroom. Noro is not generally transmitted airborne but with the way she got sick & others nearby the droplets did go through the air. But hopefully people on the Triumph were getting sick due to the gross smells & sights and not because they were coming down with noro or something else contagious.

That & reports of passengers thumbing through the food at the buffet in the early days before food started being rationed - stacking their own sandwiches with the fillings from the other sandwiches & leaving plain bread for those at the end of the line - those paws were not clean.

How sad and shocking to lose your Mother that way Sarah. My deepest condolences to you! You wouldn't want bad luck to have a part in ending anyone's life, but when it happens to your own Mom, I know - it can feel like the Universe sucks.

Gross out alert - please quit reading now all those who get grossed out easily*****

As for the possibility of getting sick from the bad sanitation I was watching & caught most of the interview when Sanjay was speaking. I know when people throw up in proximity to others & esp. missing the toilet it can spread to others nearby. Read an article recently of a school soccer team in the area, with most of the team all coming down with Noro when one of the girls on the team threw up in a corridor of the stadium before she could get to a bathroom. Noro is not generally transmitted airborne but with the way she got sick & others nearby the droplets did go through the air. But hopefully people on the Triumph were getting sick due to the gross smells & sights and not because they were coming down with noro or something else contagious.

That & reports of passengers thumbing through the food at the buffet in the early days before food started being rationed - stacking their own sandwiches with the fillings from the other sandwiches & leaving plain bread for those at the end of the line - those paws were not clean.

Thanks so much,...yes..it is my thought that we just do not know where she got it, can not blame anywhere...but cleanliness and serving things well in this kind of situation is most important...and all the rules around when people get sick important.

I hope people can handle it..i say it when it sort of applies for 2 reasons..to heal in the truth of believing and accepting it myself..and to just be compassionate if others have to do the same...so glad she got in that cruise...and it was top notch clean they felt. Just with any place where we are all packed together..this is not good, any sanitary goofs...but liked Sanjay's balanced approach.

I read Guideposts and today a woman wrote about loosing her friend of 12 years that started when friend was 76, my mom was only 76. Thanks friend...we did not get to take our cruise...but she will always be in my heart and I believe she is now in a better place and I work on remembering and trusting that...that now we see through the glass dimley.(sp) Also very thankful for my crazy family that is still here..LOL.

I have been getting ready to book a "deal" but this is a bit of a damper on it, this happening just because of timing of mom..but still not ship's fault..and will not let it top me when it comes up...Sarah

The ocean liner SS United States was built in the US.

Yes, but it was built in 1952, over 60 years ago. The skills that were used to build it no longer exist in the USA.

Also, construction was partially subsidized by the US government, since it was designed to allow conversion to a troop carrier should the need arise.

So...this voting thing. I've been wondering about something for days now. Do those who so proudly wave their shares of Carnival stock actually vote stockholder issues or even bother to fill out their proxy? Just curious.

Since one family controls over 50% of the stock, nobody else's vote matters.

Archived