Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Apologize if this has been answered before. Just read an article about initial investigation, and it noted that there were two generator rooms on the ship. Since normal engineering practice would be to provide for somewhat redundent and seperable generation/propulsion systems, why did the fire knock out both genertaor rooms? Seems that they would have had swirchgear that could have isolated the failed systems and allowed the remaining systems to come back on line.

Apologize if this has been answered before. Just read an article about initial investigation, and it noted that there were two generator rooms on the ship. Since normal engineering practice would be to provide for somewhat redundent and seperable generation/propulsion systems, why did the fire knock out both genertaor rooms? Seems that they would have had swirchgear that could have isolated the failed systems and allowed the remaining systems to come back on line.[/quote

There is a Coast Guard initial report referenced back aways that says that while they might have started the other generator, they were wise not to attempt it... Don't know how far back that report is. I suspect they were afraid there might have been damage that would result in a fire in the second room. I don't know enough about the working of the ship to even begin to understand.

Susan

but the plumbing worked

The red bags and pee pee in shower is what grosses me out here

The plumbing worked, because the water station, pumping water to your house had power. If they didn't, you wouldn't have had working toilets. I have family who lived in Kissimmee in the Aftermath of Charlie, and considering that something like 95% of KUA's grid was knocked out, the KUA water pumping station was without power for some time.

Peeing in the shower uses a gravity system to remove the urine from your room. From what I read, ALOT of people who like you, were grossed out at pee peeing in the shower, continued to use the broken toilets allowing them to fill up, and slosh around when the ship listed... no bueno....

with regards to using the bags for pooing... yup, not something I want to do on my dream vacation either, but you sometimes have to do what you don't want to do... Again, from reports I have read online what caused the issue with the sewage leaking was PAX using the toilets after they were advised not to, and causing them to back up, slosh out, so on and so forth... gross for sure.. but given the circumstances, if everyone pee peed in showers, and poo pooed in red bags the whole situation would have been FAR better for everyone.

The plumbing worked, because the water station, pumping water to your house had power. If they didn't, you wouldn't have had working toilets. I have family who lived in Kissimmee in the Aftermath of Charlie, and considering that something like 95% of KUA's grid was knocked out, the KUA water pumping station was without power for some time.

Peeing in the shower uses a gravity system to remove the urine from your room. From what I read, ALOT of people who like you, were grossed out at pee peeing in the shower, continued to use the broken toilets allowing them to fill up, and slosh around when the ship listed... no bueno....

with regards to using the bags for pooing... yup, not something I want to do on my dream vacation either, but you sometimes have to do what you don't want to do... Again, from reports I have read online what caused the issue with the sewage leaking was PAX using the toilets after they were advised not to, and causing them to back up, slosh out, so on and so forth... gross for sure.. but given the circumstances, if everyone pee peed in showers, and poo pooed in red bags the whole situation would have been FAR better for everyone.

First thing I would have done is plug everything up so the cabin would still be livable.

Not that it really matters but on a ship, the Black water (toilet) and Grey water (shower and sinks) should be two separate systems going into different holding tanks.

I agree, if you have a toilet you know cant flush.....why would u use it.

When we loose power in a hurricane, all the plumbing is off limits, cause we have a lift station and when full it WILL back up into the house at some point. But we have travel trailers and boats, so were usually good.

This is a forum. Heavily moderated too. If you can't take discussion then perhaps a forum is something you should skip.

You know, you're right. I don't usually do well with discussion because when I'm in a conversaion with someone, I give respect to their viewpoints and I forget that other people still may have respect for that person, but may still come out with their viewpoint in what I would call a "heated" manner. I did come on too strong in my post and I apologize to everyone here. I'm no one to dictate how others should act, please forgive my intrusion in your party. *hands fresh made-from-scratch chocolate chip cookie to Charles4515* Chocolate chip cookies for everyone!

Local news spoke about a Houston woman suing for $75,000.

Claims include:

a) Bruising from agressive food lines

b) dehydration because she did not trust the available water

Can't help but laugh. There were indeed food lines, but I never saw anything close to resembling "aggressive" people. Plenty of water available, and at times bottled water was delivered directly to passengers...

You know, you're right. I don't usually do well with discussion because when I'm in a conversaion with someone, I give respect to their viewpoints and I forget that other people still may have respect for that person, but may still come out with their viewpoint in what I would call a "heated" manner. I did come on too strong in my post and I apologize to everyone here. I'm no one to dictate how others should act, please forgive my intrusion in your party. *hands fresh made-from-scratch chocolate chip cookie to Charles4515* Chocolate chip cookies for everyone!

See you are doing the "conversation" wrong... You are not supposed to give respect to people's viewpoints, you are supposed to fling red biohazard bags at their thoughts.

(This post is sarcasm)

Seriously... peeing in the shower 'grossed' people out?!? What a bunch of _______ (insert other term for cats). That is really stupid. It's pee, people. It's not radioactive fallout. I pee in the sink when I'm shaving, in the shower when I'm bathing, and sometimes outside with the dog. It's just urine...

I'm not an expert but the "flash point" on deisel fuel is about 140-160 degrees, engine oil 220-240. If you spill some on the ground, drop a match on it, it will not ignite. So return line? Gotta be engine oil? Right? Theres no need for a "return line" for fuel....so I'm thinking. Whatever oil it was, had to be there a while......wherever and whatever it was.....I'm thinking......anyone?

Archived