"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

. . . People are taking this homeport way too personally, both Northerners and Floridians. . . .

Unmerited gloating by the NY/NJs and sour grapes by the Floridians. I would like to tell both sides to give it a rest and stop wasting my time with your chidish pettiness.

. . . They picked it based on where they predict great potential profits. If they don't see them, the ship can be relocated elsewhere at the snap of a finger. . . .

I have been saying this all along. Where ever they home port it to begin with should only be considered temporary -- for the time being. Richard Fain has said before that one of the great things about the cruise industry is that the capital assets are mobile and can be moved in resonse to the market. You NY/NJs, congrats -- indeed I like to cruise from atypical cruise ports. We are Diamond and I have never been to the Caribbean. So NY/NJ is a natural for me. But you have been given a challenge. If Q struggles at Cape Liberty, there is no commitment beyond Spring 2015 [approx the first 6 months].

And don't forget Anthem. Where is she going?

And don't forget Anthem. Where is she going?

This is precisely why I don't understand the unbridled anger from some of the Florida contingent and the downright odd things they're saying about NY/NJ. There's another ship coming out six months later... nobody here knows, but playing the percentages there's at least a solid chance it'll be homeported in Florida at some point. :rolleyes: Sheesh.

Flying into that part of the country costs more, hotels cost more, car rentals cost more, food costs more....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

<<snip>>

To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

I know that I am beating a dead horse, but have to add my corrections to the above statements.

My son had 6 days off of school this year and those were all related to Sandy, a tropical storm. Not once was school shut down this winter due to snow, or ice, or any other type of bad weather. Can the airports be shut down for bad weather, absolutely, but they can be shut down in Florida also for hurricanes, tropical storms, whatever.

And yes, some have crossed Quantum off their future cruise list, but I am betting it is not many. As someone else posted after you, Royal did their homework I am sure and they put the ship where it will make the most money for them right now. There are many that will not go to Europe to sail on a ship, so why put them there??? There are even many who will not fly to Florida to get on a ship, so why put them there???

I am not trying to gloat, yes I would love to sail on Quantum, but will have to see what the prices are. I have stayed away from Explorer due to the prices and have chosen to fly to Florida for most of my cruises. If the price point is not good for me, even though I can drive to the port I will not sail on it. There is a lot that goes into the decision. Much more than any of us here can guess.

Give it up. A decision has been made. If the $$ don't come in as they hope, they will move the ship. Whether that would be to Florida, or Europe, or Asia is anyone's guess.

I find this whole thread rather amusing.

Florida habitually gets ALL the new ships, but NY/NJ area has been lucky enough to get 2 new ships in a short period (NCL Breakway) along with Quantam.

To begin, if NJ gets Quantam, there is a VERY good chance Anthem will leave from Florida, and it's supposed to be what....6 months later coming out?

As far as where is nicer to cruise from, yes, the Bayonne port isn't pretty, but it is easy to get to, and honestly do that many people choose what cruise they want to take based what the port it leaves from looks like?

As far as digs at the passenger composition. We have cruised twice from NJ/NY and once from Ft. Lauderdale and frankly we saw more rude passengers on the Oasis than we did on either of the NJ/NY area ships.

Oh and the poster who knows 6 people who have complained to RCL for their "bad business decision" in homeporting in Bayonne.......SERIOUSLY??? How does that correspondence go....Yes, I am just a cruise passenger and know absolutely nothing about running a multi-million dollar cruising empire, but you have made a HUGE business mistake homeporting from Bayonne...You'll be lucky if you get enough people sailing it to even pay for the gas...............LOL.

Bottom line, it's in Bayonne for now, if it's not making money RCL WILL move it!!! And I'm sure Anthem's homeport will make all the Florida port lovers happy, because having all the Freedom class and Oasis class ships is obviously not enough.

I have just spent the last half hour looking at deck plans again because silly me forgot about the studio cabins :o So been looking at one of them for me and D8 for my son and his GF.

Then I noticed there are E1's...oh yes and then DO (balcony obstructed oceanview) so now I am more confused than ever :o:D

It would be wonderful to do a 12 day for the Inaugural but I suspect that would be rather expensive. Hopefully soon they will tell us how long and when and where for the Inaugural.:D

I was wondering if you could help me out ?? I have been looking at the deck plans and I'm having a hard time with the color matrix for the cabins. I'm interested to see where the studio cabins are located, could you tell me what deck(s) they would be on...

. . . Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

I also know of at least 6 people who have already written to the RCI management expressing their dismay at the port location.

I'll bet these 60 or 66 folks put a big dent in RCI's marketing plans compared to the 50 million or so that live in the northeast corridor [with 22+ million in the NY metro area alone].

. . . To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

I live about as far from a coast as possible in the lower 48 so I really don't have a dog in this fight. But I think it is time the Florida homers realize that they are not the target market for this ship so all of their floor stomping and pouting is not going to concern the marketing folks at RCI. I imagine they really don't care if many [even most] Floridians don't choose to fly from Florida to sail Quantum as long as they get decent support from the market they have targeted. And I hate to break it to you, but [even though I have always said (and still believe) there are good arguments for homeporting the ships in either cooler climates or FLA] given the design of these ships, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Anthem ends up in Europe or somewhere else beside Florida. My best current guess is that Anthem goes full time to Europe, Indy returns to the states full time and the 3d Oasis splits Europe and US itineraries [in my view that is why Oasis is going to Europe for 6 weeks in the fall of 2014 -- to test the "waters" so to speak.]

I don't get the hate, it is beautiful to sail out of NY! We never get any new and exciting ships except the Breakaway and now Quantum, Florida isn't the only port state out there! This ship was made for winters, hence why this ship is perfect for NY. CASE CLOSED.

I find this whole thread rather amusing.

Florida habitually gets ALL the new ships, but NY/NJ area has been lucky enough to get 2 new ships in a short period (NCL Breakway) along with Quantam.

To begin, if NJ gets Quantam, there is a VERY good chance Anthem will leave from Florida, and it's supposed to be what....6 months later coming out?

As far as where is nicer to cruise from, yes, the Bayonne port isn't pretty, but it is easy to get to, and honestly do that many people choose what cruise they want to take based what the port it leaves from looks like?

As far as digs at the passenger composition. We have cruised twice from NJ/NY and once from Ft. Lauderdale and frankly we saw more rude passengers on the Oasis than we did on either of the NJ/NY area ships.

Oh and the poster who knows 6 people who have complained to RCL for their "bad business decision" in homeporting in Bayonne.......SERIOUSLY??? How does that correspondence go....Yes, I am just a cruise passenger and know absolutely nothing about running a multi-million dollar cruising empire, but you have made a HUGE business mistake homeporting from Bayonne...You'll be lucky if you get enough people sailing it to even pay for the gas...............LOL.

Bottom line, it's in Bayonne for now, if it's not making money RCL WILL move it!!! And I'm sure Anthem's homeport will make all the Florida port lovers happy, because having all the Freedom class and Oasis class ships is obviously not enough.

Now I could do some complaining because we have a new cruise terminal that was built at the Port of Houston and has NEVER BEEN USED :eek: (me thinks there was some money pilfering and palm greasing going on there :cool:). Also, our choices out of Galveston are mostly Carnival {insert eye roll here} and occasionally Voyager or Mariner. We always have to fly somewhere to be able to cruise on the ships of our choice (must have a Flowrider). So I think those that live in NY/NJ and Florida are very lucky to have the choices of ships that they have or will have :)

Personally, I think they should move the Explorer to Orlando and the Freedom to Galveston (don't think the Port of Houston could accommodate the Freedom). Then we would be very very happy :D

I was wondering if you could help me out ?? I have been looking at the deck plans and I'm having a hard time with the color matrix for the cabins. I'm interested to see where the studio cabins are located, could you tell me what deck(s) they would be on...

Brian on Passenger decks 6-13

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Ken

Now I could do some complaining because we have a new cruise terminal that was built at the Port of Houston and has NEVER BEEN USED :eek: (me thinks there was some money pilfering and palm greasing going on there :cool:). Also, our choices out of Galveston are mostly Carnival {insert eye roll here} and occasionally Voyager or Mariner. We always have to fly somewhere to be able to cruise on the ships of our choice (must have a Flowrider). So I think those that live in NY/NJ and Florida are very lucky to have the choices of ships that they have or will have :)

Personally, I think they should move the Explorer to Orlando and the Freedom to Galveston (don't think the Port of Houston could accommodate the Freedom). Then we would be very very happy :D

We will have Navigator of the Seas in late fall/winter of 2013. And I also have thought of Freedom for Galveston when Navigator leaves. Hope we are right!

Caribbean Princess and NCL will be in the Port of Houston this year.

Let's be clear.

Too many NY/NJ homers are simply taking the clear poor business judgement on this all too personally. It's not about you, your state, or your family.

Launching a flagship new ship like this from a port that any sensible person knows has significant seasonally poor weather and is also far more expensive that other ports makes no common sense. While there may have indeed been another ship or two sailing from that port - the port itself in nearly embarrasing when compared to others that reflect a quality operation.

Flying into that part of the country costs more, hotels cost more, car rentals cost more, food costs more....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

As one who flies to that area with some regularity, I have a realistic perspective of the pros and cons. Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

I also know of at least 6 people who have already written to the RCI management expressing their dismay at the port location.

The posting here is a sliver of the big picture on this topic. Pretending that this is not a business mistake is a head-in-the-sand scenario.

To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

The extended NYC metropolitan area has population of around 25 million people, and even more when you consider that Washington DC, Boston and Philadelphia are a reasonable drive. The area also has a high number of affluent people. They will have no problem filling the ship, even if people from the rest of the country will not travel to fill the ship. I wouldn't be surprised if they move a freedom class ship to NYC for the summer months as well in a few years.

Also, what better way to start a cruise than with a beautiful view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of liberty and through the Narrows out to the Atlantic Ocean...the same place that all the immigrants that built our nation sailed through over the years! It sure beats the view of the condos with leaving out of Ft lauderdale.

hey all the cruise lines decide where to make the home ports.

it is not up to the passengers to decide.

they spend lots of $ on research and development,

they want people in the east to have cruise options too

all ships are not out of florida lets get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, what better way to start a cruise than with a beautiful view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of liberty and through the Narrows out to the Atlantic Ocean...the same place that all the immigrants that built our nation sailed through over the years! It sure beats the view of the condos with leaving out of Ft lauderdale.

Miami, San Juan, Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans all beat it for me.

I've gotta disagree with this part of your post. Cool area, yes. Where I want to cruise from, no. If I'm going on a Caribbean cruise I want to leave somewhere beachy with palm trees and pretty water and feel like I'm on vacation! Manhattan isn't exactly what I'm looking for :p.

Like Port Canaveral, Bayonne is convenient, but it ain't pretty!

Miami, San Juan, Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans all beat it for me.

I've gotta disagree with this part of your post. Cool area, yes. Where I want to cruise from, no. If I'm going on a Caribbean cruise I want to leave somewhere beachy with palm trees and pretty water and feel like I'm on vacation! Manhattan isn't exactly what I'm looking for :p.

Like Port Canaveral, Bayonne is convenient, but it ain't pretty!

I believe that it was stated that the Ship would be the destination. I wonder when booking for the Anthem in Europe will start it's booking. Quite soon I would think since it is coming out in the spring in 2015 only 4 or 5 months after the Quantum. I did wish that we would stop at Bemuda since that is one place I have not been.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

Unmerited gloating by the NY/NJs and sour grapes by the Floridians. I would like to tell both sides to give it a rest and stop wasting my time with your chidish pettiness.

Honestly did you not expect some gloating for a few days?? There has to be some understanding about the excitement that the Northeast has right now. With that said....remember there are those who INSISTED that hell would have to freeze over before Quantum sails from NJ. Some of them also had downright nasty comments. Some continue the debate even AFTER the annoucement....which is so very amusing to say the least. Of course they are free to do so but I, for one, will be more than happy to gloat even more so if I feel the need to respond to their posts.;)

Hi Brian - It looks like the studio cabins will be on each deck of staterooms except for the lowest level, I think 3. There are 2 studios on each deck. They're located mid ship and look like they are next to a junior suite.

David

Just finished a conversation with some RCCL insiders, they confirmed Quantum is not going to NY/NJ.

NY/NJ just atemporary stop, no long term committment like Oasis/Allure. I wonder where the Quantum will be in 2016?:confused:

Why do you continue to post speculations as fact?

Count me in as an east coaster that is thrilled with a new RCI ship being home ported in ny/nj. Even if I never sail on her it's an indication that RCI recognizes a younger demographic in the hugely populated NY corridor!!!

Hello Everyone...I do not want to get into the speculation arena, however, USA Today, on their website, under the Travel Section for Cruises, has an article, and they are saying as fact, that the Quantum will be sailing out of the New York area.

I haven't read USA Today's articles to be incorrect or misleading in the past, so, for whatever it's worth, this is the report they included. Here is the quote:

"Royal Caribbean said today that Quantum of the Seas will sail out of the New York area after it debuts in 2014 on seven to twelve night trips. Bookings for Quantum will be available to members of the line's frequent cruiser club, the Crown & Anchor Society, starting May 27, before opening to the general public June 4."

Let's be clear.

Too many NY/NJ homers are simply taking the clear poor business judgement on this all too personally. It's not about you, your state, or your family.

Launching a flagship new ship like this from a port that any sensible person knows has significant seasonally poor weather and is also far more expensive that other ports makes no common sense. While there may have indeed been another ship or two sailing from that port - the port itself in nearly embarrasing when compared to others that reflect a quality operation.

As one who flies to that area with some regularity, I have a realistic perspective of the pros and cons. Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

The posting here is a sliver of the big picture on this topic. Pretending that this is not a business mistake is a head-in-the-sand scenario.

I believe you may be missing a big part of the decision...there are literally millions of people from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania that don't have to fly to port...that's right...millions of potential customers.

I believe you may be missing a big part of the decision...there are literally millions of people from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania that don't have to fly to port...that's right...millions of potential customers.

You forgot Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia. ;-)

Hello Everyone...I do not want to get into the speculation arena, however, USA Today, on their website, under the Travel Section for Cruises, has an article, and they are saying as fact, that the Quantum will be sailing out of the New York area.

I haven't read USA Today's articles to be incorrect or misleading in the past, so, for whatever it's worth, this is the report they included. Here is the quote:

"Royal Caribbean said today that Quantum of the Seas will sail out of the New York area after it debuts in 2014 on seven to twelve night trips. Bookings for Quantum will be available to members of the line's frequent cruiser club, the Crown & Anchor Society, starting May 27, before opening to the general public June 4."

Yes...the speculation is over. The OP was right all along.;) The official annoucement was made yesterday...Quantum is sailing from NJ! I love typing those words!:D

You forgot Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia. ;-)

Mid-Atlantic & Northeast total populis is about 50 Million within an 8 to 10 Hour Drive.

And lets not forgett the international Folks flying in.

Archived