"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

I guess the mistake started in 2004 ?????

Gee what surprise retort.... :rolleyes:

I've already found 3 different sites with petitions going (to be sent to Mr. Fain directly protesting the port choice. Momentum is also picking up on an e-mail campaign.

I guess the idea of being unable to arrive in NJ for bad weather or stranded after the cruise for the same reason is starting to sink in with experience cruisers.

I don't live in the NY area or FL area - so there's no allegiance to either port location. There are simply plenty of better options/locations. Those in love with Bayonne can be in denial as long as they'd like....but it's simply not the place to show off your flagship.

Alternatives don't have to be in FL either.

The idea of flying to a cold place in winter in peak cruise season (vacationers looking for a warm place) has to be among the dumbest ideas of all time in this industry.

I can see it now...pack your parka to go to NJ on a Caribbean cruise...what a bizarre packing experience it ill be.

Perhaps in the months ahead as the flood of complaints and petitions continue....RCI will wake up and smell the frozen roses.

Mid-Atlantic & Northeast total populis is about 50 Million within an 8 to 10 Hour Drive.

And lets not forgett the international Folks flying in.

That's exactly why Quantum is in metro New York - a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE driving market.

For me, it is incredibly attractive to be able to drive to New Jersey the day before the cruise, and to drive home after disembarking. It will be faster (even though it's a seven hour drive to Bayonne), and will save my family of four over $2000 in airfare!

How big is the driving market...it's not 50 million, it's OVER 100 million!

That's right, there's over 100 million Americans (and Canadians) that are less than an 8 hour drive from Bayonne! That is a huge market!

Here's the math:

New York: 19.5 million

New Jersey: 8.5 million

New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, RI, VT): 14.5 million

Canada (QC, most of ON): 19 million

Mid-Atlantic (VA, MD, WV, DE, DC): 17 million

Pennsylvania: 12.5 million

Eastern Ohio: 9 million

I've always sailed RCL and love it! I never really saw a reason to even try another cruise line until discovering NCL' Breakaway would be sailing from my home port. Not wanting to go on EOS again, or fly to Florida since I am taking a Disney trip 3 months before my Dec cruise date. I decided I would try NCL' Breakaway..

But now, RCCL comes out with the Quantum, about an hour and a half jaunt from home! I am waiting with bated breath for Quantum' sail dates in 2014, and even though I will lose a $100 cancellation fee. I may have to jump ship back to my beloved RCL. The Quantum is a beauty!

Hmmmm, standing back for this one...........:cool:

After yesterday I've learned it's best to not feed the trolls :p

We're in the same boat (ha ha) as far as trying NCL goes. Sure, we don't have any status in their loyalty program, but after being disappointed with our recent Carnival Breeze cruise we realized we need another line to sail when we want a change up from RCI.

As far as I'm concerned, we got a great rate on Breakaway during one of their sales and without having to pay for airfare and a prestay hotel, it's a great risk to take.

The Breakaway is beautiful now, here she is doing a sea trial:

Posters have commented about how the Northstar hurts the appearance of the Quantum. IMHO the Breakaway looks much worse with all of the sport equipment behind the funnel and the water slides. Also looking just as bad is the Carnival Sunshine with those water slides on the aft area.

I've already found 3 different sites with petitions going (to be sent to Mr. Fain directly protesting the port choice. Momentum is also picking up on an e-mail campaign.

I guess the idea of being unable to arrive in NJ for bad weather or stranded after the cruise for the same reason is starting to sink in with experience cruisers.

I don't live in the NY area or FL area - so there's no allegiance to either port location. There are simply plenty of better options/locations. Those in love with Bayonne can be in denial as long as they'd like....but it's simply not the place to show off your flagship.

The idea of flying to a cold place in winter in peak cruise season (vacationers looking for a warm place) has to be among the dumbest ideas of all time in this industry.

I can see it now...pack your parka to go to NJ on a Caribbean cruise...what a bizarre packing experience it ill be.

Perhaps in the months ahead as the flood of complaints and petitions continue....RCI will wake up and smell the frozen roses.

Why are you so stuck on this? I find people usually get emotionally attached to things if they really thought about it, with perspective. They would be able to see or think more clearly than letting their emotions cloud their thoughts. Take a deep breath, you are getting wound up about where a cruise ships home port is? With so many other important things to focus on, or be grateful for.

We're in the same boat (ha ha) as far as trying NCL goes. Sure, we don't have any status in their loyalty program, but after being disappointed with our recent Carnival Breeze cruise we realized we need another line to sail when we want a change up from RCI.

As far as I'm concerned, we got a great rate on Breakaway during one of their sales and without having to pay for airfare and a prestay hotel, it's a great risk to take.

Dave, yup I avoid trolls as much as possible. :rolleyes:

I have some friends that are big NCL cruisers and swear by it. Will have to discuss with my DD to see if she would like to try the Breakaway. If not, we will wait for the Quantum. Glad you got a great rate, you rock!

And those people need to grow up and get a life. The northeast has become popular with cruisers once again. The Quantum will do just fine and for those that don't want to travel to Bayonne to cruise on this ship, they can find an alternative ship or cruise line. I don't think Fain or Goldstein is going to lose any sleep over a few disgruntled brats who did not get their way.:rolleyes: A company like RCI does not place a billion dollar investment in a market without first doing their homework. Plus they have had over six to eight years of having an actual ship sailing out of this port to give them plenty of information.

This is coming from someone who loves cruising out of Florida but knows that all cruise ships cannot be placed in one area.

I agree with most of what you said, and will not fly to NJ during the winter. I travel alot, and during winter will never make connections anywhere north of Dallas for fear of getting stranded, although have been stranded in Dallas twice.

With that said, we packed as you described for our Antarctica trip in 2010. Was 95 degrees and 100% humidity in Buenos Aires. But it worked out ok.

Where are the petitions at....want to my weekly comment to add California back into the network.

Dave, just curious why you were disappointed with the Breeze. We're booked on her for later this year.

Dave, just curious why you were disappointed with the Breeze. We're booked on her for later this year.

Sure. First, let me say we had an excellent time as we've had on every cruise... that wasn't the issue.

One main issue is design, the Lido Deck is a disaster. Unfortunately for us, the Lido Deck / top sun deck generally is very important to our cruise vacation. The main pool area is TINY. Even looking at the two decks going up over the pool deck, there were not a sufficient number of deck chairs for all the guests that wanted them... and this includes the space going back away from the main pool area. It's completely unacceptable (IMHO) that guests should have to wander around the upper decks of a ship for upwards of an hour before finding, if they're lucky, one open lounger to share. Also, the pools... incredible, two small pools for 4,600 passengers on my holiday sailing. Carnival Destiny, which carried far fewer passengers, had 3! Needless to say, pools were completely unavailable for adult cruisers who wanted to take a dip because they were packed with children the entire cruise. On other ships, like the Oasis, there was plenty of room for everyone who wanted to enjoy a pool, children and adults included. Also, inexplicably, there's no hot tub by the main pool area! First ship I've ever seen with such a strange oversight.

The Lido Marketplace Buffet suffers from similiar issues. It's wayyy too narrow for the passenger flow it generates and at peak hours, forget it. Carnival compounded these issues by having staff push big bulky carts around at prime breakfast time to try and sell alcoholic beverages.

The other main issue was the huge cutbacks in entertainment. As you can see in my sig I'd been on a lot of previous Carnivla cruises. The new "2.0" entertainment "enhancements" (HAH!) are one big joke. The "production shows" now consist of a few people singing and dancing (poorly and out of sync) in front of a big screen. No more show band, and most of the other live music (save for a duo and one lounge band) were cut as well. There just wasn't much going on around the ship at times. Imagine being all dressed up and ready for formal night (late seating) and finding out that the only "entertainment" evailalbe to sit and enjoy with a drink is karaoke....

I wrote a long review of the cruise so perhaps you can find it if you want more details. I'm sure you'll have a good time on the Breeze as we did despite these issues, but since we're blessed with so many great choicse in the cruise industry, Carnival will not be ours anymore.

Thanks for the response, Dave. I am looking forward to trying a new class of Carnival ship, but I'm only on this sailing because of some friends who had Early Saver credit they had to use so I'm going with. Don't see myself going back to Carnival any time soon. I'll look for your review.

And those people need to grow up and get a life. The northeast has become popular with cruisers once again. The Quantum will do just fine and for those that don't want to travel to Bayonne to cruise on this ship, they can find an alternative ship or cruise line. I don't think Fain or Goldstein is going to lose any sleep over a few disgruntled brats who did not get their way.:rolleyes: A company like RCI does not place a billion dollar investment in a market without first doing their homework. Plus they have had over six to eight years of having an actual ship sailing out of this port to give them plenty of information.

This is coming from someone who loves cruising out of Florida but knows that all cruise ships cannot be placed in one area.

Actually 9, but who's counting :)

A company like RCI does not place a billion dollar investment in a market without first doing their homework.

I hope nobody is banking on that.

Having seen it firsthand with 2 different Fortune 500 companies...I can assure you that "their homework" is only as good as the people doing it, and billion dollar mistakes have occurred before.

Sure. First, let me say we had an excellent time as we've had on every cruise... that wasn't the issue.

One main issue is design, the Lido Deck is a disaster. Unfortunately for us, the Lido Deck / top sun deck generally is very important to our cruise vacation. The main pool area is TINY. Even looking at the two decks going up over the pool deck, there were not a sufficient number of deck chairs for all the guests that wanted them... and this includes the space going back away from the main pool area. It's completely unacceptable (IMHO) that guests should have to wander around the upper decks of a ship for upwards of an hour before finding, if they're lucky, one open lounger to share. Also, the pools... incredible, two small pools for 4,600 passengers on my holiday sailing. Carnival Destiny, which carried far fewer passengers, had 3! Needless to say, pools were completely unavailable for adult cruisers who wanted to take a dip because they were packed with children the entire cruise. On other ships, like the Oasis, there was plenty of room for everyone who wanted to enjoy a pool, children and adults included. Also, inexplicably, there's no hot tub by the main pool area! First ship I've ever seen with such a strange oversight.

The Lido Marketplace Buffet suffers from similiar issues. It's wayyy too narrow for the passenger flow it generates and at peak hours, forget it. Carnival compounded these issues by having staff push big bulky carts around at prime breakfast time to try and sell alcoholic beverages.

The other main issue was the huge cutbacks in entertainment. As you can see in my sig I'd been on a lot of previous Carnivla cruises. The new "2.0" entertainment "enhancements" (HAH!) are one big joke. The "production shows" now consist of a few people singing and dancing (poorly and out of sync) in front of a big screen. No more show band, and most of the other live music (save for a duo and one lounge band) were cut as well. There just wasn't much going on around the ship at times. Imagine being all dressed up and ready for formal night (late seating) and finding out that the only "entertainment" evailalbe to sit and enjoy with a drink is karaoke....

I wrote a long review of the cruise so perhaps you can find it if you want more details. I'm sure you'll have a good time on the Breeze as we did despite these issues, but since we're blessed with so many great choicse in the cruise industry, Carnival will not be ours anymore.

Actually there are 4 pools. The solarium pool. And outdoor pool. An indoor pool with retractable roof. The H2O zone.

The solarium and pool with retractable roof are 2 different pools. It seems there will be 2 swimming pools for up north weather but 4 total.

Gina

Weather issues or not, I think they will eventually alternate Quantum and Anthem out of NJ as they do with Oasis and Allure in FL. If this doesn't work, they will move them around.

Ships have been going in and out of New York for over 400 years, I am sure they will figure it out.

People who fly to Florida in the winter have the same weather related issues at their home airports.

Just my two cents worth.

I wish we were closer so we could try this ship out. We went on Allure's inaugural, this one would be fun. The Northeast in October is gorgeous.

Happy cruising all!

Actually there are 4 pools. The solarium pool. And outdoor pool. An indoor pool with retractable roof. The H2O zone.

The solarium and pool with retractable roof are 2 different pools. It seems there will be 2 swimming pools for up north weather but 4 total.

Gina

He's talking about the Carnival Breeze not Quantum

Gina

He's talking about the Carnival Breeze not Quantum

Right, someone asked why I was disappointed in the Carnival Breeze so I was giving the cliff notes version. I'm not concerned about Quantum's pools. I've never been unable to take a dip in the pool on a RC ship when I wanted to, probably because RC does a substantially better job designing their ships than Carnival :)

Right, someone asked why I was disappointed in the Carnival Breeze so I was giving the cliff notes version. I'm not concerned about Quantum's pools. I've never been unable to take a dip in the pool on a RC ship when I wanted to, probably because RC does a substantially better job designing their ships than Carnival :)

Oh I get it. I missed that part. I'm surprised they only have 2 pools. Although 1 must have a slide! ;)

Sometimes that happens when a search is run. You came up and I missed part of the story. I should have been following the flow for almost 600 posts. :)

....I've already found 3 different sites with petitions going (to be sent to Mr. Fain directly protesting the port choice. Momentum is also picking up on an e-mail campaign.

.... Perhaps in the months ahead as the flood of complaints and petitions continue....RCI will wake up and smell the frozen roses.

The Setting: RCCL headquarters, Executive offices earlier this afternoon.

[ RING RING.... RING RING -- picking up phone]

"Hello, Richard Fain here. Hey -- CRUISEFAN001! How you been!? Well yeah, been a while!

[ listening ]

"Well yes, really NJ. Well, there are millions of potential guests there...

[listening] Petitions, you say? Three of them? Hmmm. Yeah, I overheard two guys from Accounting talking about the petitions downstairs in the cafeteria today. (We call it the "LandJammer" -- get it??? ) [laughter] Yeah, I love that Honey Stung Chicken too -- for some reason they only serve it on Mondays."

"But, ummm, yeah one guy thought the petition was a chain letter and deleted it. The other one thought the petition was from a Nigerian Prince looking to cash a lottery ticket. Marked it as SPAM. Hey speaking of Spam, how was your cruise on the FunShip?"

[listening]

" WHAT!!! SIX PEOPLE YOU KNOW ARE NOT GOING TO SAIL ON QUANTUM! Did they see the crane thingie?? The bumper cars??? Hmmm. SIX PEOPLE. Didn't realize it was this serious. By the way, your friends aren't named CRUISEFAN0002 through CRUISEFAN0006 by any chance, are they?"

"Anyhow, CF, didn't realize the problem was this bad." [covering phone with hand, yelling towards office next door,] "ADAM! ADAM, GET IN HERE, NOW! WE GOT PROBLEMS!")

[removing hand from phone]

"Ok, ok, CRUISEFAN0001, we get it, we get it. Please give us time to fix this. Not sure what we were thinking. We'll get it right, I PROMISE. Can't thank you enough for calling.

[listening] Yes, say hello to Lorraine for me. Loved the Christmas card!"

"By the way, any idea who would have sent me a dozen frozen roses? Hello, hello? You still there...." Hmmmm..... CLICK!

:)

The Setting: RCCL headquarters, Executive offices earlier this afternoon.

[ RING RING.... RING RING -- picking up phone]

"Hello, Richard Fain here. Hey -- CRUISEFAN001! How you been!? Well yeah, been a while!

[ listening ]

"Well yes, really NJ. Well, there are millions of potential guests there...

[listening] Petitions, you say? Three of them? Hmmm. Yeah, I overheard two guys from Accounting talking about the petitions downstairs in the cafeteria today. (We call it the "LandJammer" -- get it??? ) [laughter] Yeah, I love that Honey Stung Chicken too -- for some reason they only serve it on Mondays."

"But, ummm, yeah one guy thought the petition was a chain letter and deleted it. The other one thought the petition was from a Nigerian Prince looking to cash a lottery ticket. Marked it as SPAM. Hey speaking of Spam, how was your cruise on the FunShip?"

[listening]

" WHAT!!! SIX PEOPLE YOU KNOW ARE NOT GOING TO SAIL ON QUANTUM! Did they see the crane thingie?? The bumper cars??? Hmmm. SIX PEOPLE. Didn't realize it was this serious. By the way, your friends aren't named CRUISEFAN0002 through CRUISEFAN0006 by any chance, are they?"

"Anyhow, CF, didn't realize the problem was this bad." [covering phone with hand, yelling towards office next door,] "ADAM! ADAM, GET IN HERE, NOW! WE GOT PROBLEMS!")

[removing hand from phone]

"Ok, ok, CRUISEFAN0001, we get it, we get it. Please give us time to fix this. Not sure what we were thinking. We'll get it right, I PROMISE. Can't thank you enough for calling.

[listening] Yes, say hello to Lorraine for me. Loved the Christmas card!"

"By the way, any idea who would have sent me a dozen frozen roses? Hello, hello? You still there...." Hmmmm..... CLICK!

:)

LMAO! Perfect. Can't wait to sail her.. love that it's going out of NJ..time for some good pizza on the pre!

Archived