"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

I'm sorry it's just that NJ, specifically the northeastern side of NJ, is a gloomy, nasty, and a miserable place to visit, much less start a cruise. There are be nice areas in NJ, but you certainly don't see them between Newark or NY and Cape Liberty. It is a miserable area and the passengers reflect it. It leaves passengers from other areas a terrible taste in their mouth and I think if, God forbid, RCI is going to leave from the NYC area, it should be from the terminals in New York, which actually has something to offer.

NYCruise Terminals (Piers 88, 90, and 92, as well as Brooklyn) are all too small to fit these Royal Caribbean ships. Brooklyn may be able to just barely be able to fit the ship, but these terminals have very specific dimensions for the ships it can handle

NYCruise Terminals (Piers 88, 90, and 92, as well as Brooklyn) are all too small to fit these Royal Caribbean ships. Brooklyn may be able to just barely be able to fit the ship, but these terminals have very specific dimensions for the ships it can handle

The terminal in Brooklyn is smaller than Bayonne for passenger traffic. The QM2 has no problems docking there however the QOS will be much larger in length.

When Adam G was asked about the inaugural date he said late November and then 'I can't remember the exact date' or something to that effect. Kind of made me chuckle that he either really did not know or just did not want to say :)

If this is true I wont be on her till 2015. With our TA cruise at the end of 2014. That's going to be taking up all my time as a travel cruise.

NY/NJ just atemporary stop, no long term committment like Oasis/Allure. I wonder where the Quantum will be in 2016?:confused:

It will be in Bayonne, NJ. where there is a lot of money to be made off of people sailing on this full ship each week. If Explorer of the Seas lasted all these past years there the Quantum will probably outlast that time frame.

Maybe you can offer your advice to Adam and he will change his mind??? Anyway, Thank you for the laugh.

Let's be clear.

Too many NY/NJ homers are simply taking the clear poor business judgement on this all too personally. It's not about you, your state, or your family.

Launching a flagship new ship like this from a port that any sensible person knows has significant seasonally poor weather and is also far more expensive that other ports makes no common sense. While there may have indeed been another ship or two sailing from that port - the port itself in nearly embarrasing when compared to others that reflect a quality operation.

Flying into that part of the country costs more, hotels cost more, car rentals cost more, food costs more....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

As one who flies to that area with some regularity, I have a realistic perspective of the pros and cons. Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

I also know of at least 6 people who have already written to the RCI management expressing their dismay at the port location.

The posting here is a sliver of the big picture on this topic. Pretending that this is not a business mistake is a head-in-the-sand scenario.

To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

Let's be clear.

Too many NY/NJ homers are simply taking the clear poor business judgement on this all too personally. It's not about you, your state, or your family.

Launching a flagship new ship like this from a port that any sensible person knows has significant seasonally poor weather and is also far more expensive that other ports makes no common sense. While there may have indeed been another ship or two sailing from that port - the port itself in nearly embarrasing when compared to others that reflect a quality operation.

Flying into that part of the country costs more, hotels cost more, car rentals cost more, food costs more....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

As one who flies to that area with some regularity, I have a realistic perspective of the pros and cons. Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

I also know of at least 6 people who have already written to the RCI management expressing their dismay at the port location.

The posting here is a sliver of the big picture on this topic. Pretending that this is not a business mistake is a head-in-the-sand scenario.

To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

The same was said about Oasis. Remember NOOTS? Don't see too much of that anymore do you? :rolleyes:

Let's be clear.

Are you also one of those that claimed Royal will go bankrupt when Oasis/Allure go into service??:rolleyes:

Explorer has been in NJ year round now for years….if that was such a business mistake….do you seriously think Royal will place a new ship there? C'mon this discussion is getting old, I'm beginning to sense some jealousy.

We get it already….”you” are not thrilled with Quantum’s homeport but it’s not about “you” nor is it about the 60 regular cruisers you surveyed either.

The research has been finalized….the deal is sealed!;)

Welcome Home – Quantum of the Seas!!:D:D:D

Oh my goodness, the RCL Florida fanatics are out of control, have just about lost their minds over this!!! And since when does New Jersey have poor weather year-round!?!?! Sheesh!! I didn't get this sense from the NCL peeps when NCL announced Breakaway in New York.

....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

You lost all credibility with this ridiculous statement. 20-40 days a year?!?!! What on EARTH are you talking about? A "significantly restricted" market? How nice of you to grace us with your learned interpreation of the 2010 census results in addition to gracing us with your briliant readings of the Farmers Almanac. The NYC market is the largest in the entire country, and lets not forget everyone within driving distance from Boston all the way down the Acela corridor to DC. Other posters have spent more time in other threads with the specific figures, you should perhaps check them out. By the way, we also have airports into which people can fly from elsewhere in the country and even, *gasp*, the world! How cool is that! You said you fly here fairly frequently, so you should already know that.

Please. Your "reasoning" of RCI's bad business judgment is just laughable. But, if you're such a brilliant remote meteorologist, tell me how many times Explorer's operations "came to a grinding halt" in the years she's been sailing here? :rolleyes:

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. I get it, you're upset, but facts are facts.

IMHO, if they can sail Explorer full (at a premium) each week they will have no trouble filling Quantum. In fact, I have never had a desire to sail from this area even though I live here but I will now!

The Celebrity Sillihouete was a trial period for Cape Liberty and sailed full from November 2011 untill April 2012. The EXOS also sailed during this period with excellent results. Also

keep in mind that the Summit does also sail Full during the May through September months out of Cape Liberty to Cape Liberty.

Let's be clear.

Just as in FLL or MIA, some hotels are pricey. And there are also bargains to be found.

And I have lived in CT or NYC all my life. I'm 40. I don't think there have been 40 days where weather made us come to a grinding halt since I was born. If I have been able to make it out in Winter as much as I have to cruise, I expect that others will be able to make it in...

Let's be clear.

You just lost your Credibilty just based on this statement !!!!!

IMHO, if they can sail Explorer full (at a premium) each week they will have no trouble filling Quantum. In fact, I have never had a desire to sail from this area even though I live here but I will now!

And we have not been exposé to the advertising blitz that is coming for people in the northeast like we see with the breakaway.....not to mention a possible broadway production.

They are going to go after new cruisers (families) in a big way.....

And your average person within driving distance does not even know the Explorer is there.....and it does alright 52 weeks. And don't forget celebrity sailing from the same berth.

Let's be clear.

I don't know about the rest of the post, time will tell on that, but I do tend to agree with the quoted portion.

People are taking this homeport way too personally, both Northerners and Floridians. People on both sides have been so bitter to one another its turning me off to the whole ship. This location was not picked based on New York area being an amazing place, New Jersey being a great vacation spot, or because Florida gets all the other new ships.

They picked it based on where they predict great potential profits. If they don't see them, the ship can be relocated elsewhere at the snap of a finger.

I think while many are thrilled, equally as many are or will be totally turned off by the location of the ship.

We will have to wait and see how it plays out, just like we did with Oasis and Allure :D.

They picked it based on where they predict great potential profits. If they don't see them, the ship can be relocated elsewhere at the snap of a finger.

Right, and I'd venture to say that the people entrusted with running a billion dollar cruise line are a little better at it than any of us would be... fair to say?

RCI and NCL, two giants, just placed the same exact bet. Doesn't matter where you live, I think it's pretty safe to say that these two companies base their decisions on sound reasoning... I think its hilarious that people on this message board think they know better LOL.

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere. Do you think Explorer will be sent somewhere else?

We really enjoyed her!

She'll almost certainly be sent somewhere else, but unless I've missed something her next homeport hasn't been announced yet.

Oh my goodness, the RCL Florida fanatics are out of control, have just about lost their minds over this!!!

Let me tell you, this is the best entertainment of this whole announcement. How dare Royal not home port this ship in Florida!!!:eek:;)

Archived