"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

Honestly did you not expect some gloating for a few days?? There has to be some understanding about the excitement that the Northeast has right now. With that said....remember there are those who INSISTED that hell would have to freeze over before Quantum sails from NJ. Some of them also had downright nasty comments. Some continue the debate even AFTER the annoucement....which is so very amusing to say the least. Of course they are free to do so but I, for one, will be more than happy to gloat even more so if I feel the need to respond to their posts.;)

Surprised, no. But there has been plenty of trash talk on both sides. It's been almost two days now. Spare the rest of us.

I'll bet these 60 or 66 folks put a big dent in RCI's marketing plans compared to the 50 million or so that live in the northeast corridor [with 22+ million in the NY metro area alone].

I live about as far from a coast as possible in the lower 48 so I really don't have a dog in this fight. But I think it is time the Florida homers realize that they are not the target market for this ship so all of their floor stomping and pouting is not going to concern the marketing folks at RCI. I imagine they really don't care if many [even most] Floridians don't choose to fly from Florida to sail Quantum as long as they get decent support from the market they have targeted. And I hate to break it to you, but [even though I have always said (and still believe) there are good arguments for homeporting the ships in either cooler climates or FLA] given the design of these ships, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Anthem ends up in Europe or somewhere else beside Florida. My best current guess is that Anthem goes full time to Europe, Indy returns to the states full time and the 3d Oasis splits Europe and US itineraries [in my view that is why Oasis is going to Europe for 6 weeks in the fall of 2014 -- to test the "waters" so to speak.]

Actually the primary reason the Oasis is going to Europe is it will be going into the shipyard for a dry docking for maintenance. But yes, I believe RCI will be testing the European waters for an Oasis ship to be there on a regular basis with the few cruises that Oasis will do while over there.

And don't forget us friendly Canucks in Canada ;)

I know, right? According to google maps, Toronto is 7 hours 40 minutes away, Montreal is 6 hours away, and my house is 10 hours 30 minutes away from Bayonne. The fastest flight from my house to Miami is 8 hours 30 minutes, plus time for getting there early and getting from the airport to where I'm going and costs 6x more for 2 flights than gas for 1 car.

This market isn't for people flying into New York - it's for people driving.

As far as digs at the passenger composition. We have cruised twice from NJ/NY and once from Ft. Lauderdale and frankly we saw more rude passengers on the Oasis than we did on either of the NJ/NY area ships.

^^^ THIS. Agree 100%. Just off Explorer last weekend and had zero issues with any fellow cruisers. My Oasis cruise on the other hand.... not good.

I believe you may be missing a big part of the decision...there are literally millions of people from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania that don't have to fly to port...that's right...millions of potential customers.

Thanks for your post. It underscores the "it's all about us" mindset supporting the decision.

Yes...the cruise lines make mistakes. This will prove to be one of them.

Quantum at the NJ port is like a Mercedes with K-Mart tires. An aged port that provides NON-WOW to a WOW ship. A change after 6-9 months would not come as a surprise.

Thanks for your post. It underscores the "it's all about us" mindset supporting the decision.

Quantum at the NJ port is like a Mercedes with K-Mart tires. An aged port that provides NON-WOW to a WOW ship. A change after 6-9 months would not come as a surprise.

give it up already....

You guys do realize that NCL are putting 2 new 2,000 cabin/suites ships on exactly the same routes from NY/NJ

And the first cruise starts in 12D 09H 19M

http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/

1024x768-nclAerial01.jpg

The Breakaway is sailing year-round from NYC starting May 7th. The Getaway will be sailing year-round from Miami beginning in February 2014.

I will hedge my bets with Richie & Adam.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9048.html

I know, right? According to google maps, Toronto is 7 hours 40 minutes away, Montreal is 6 hours away, and my house is 10 hours 30 minutes away from Bayonne. The fastest flight from my house to Miami is 8 hours 30 minutes, plus time for getting there early and getting from the airport to where I'm going and costs 6x more for 2 flights than gas for 1 car.

This market isn't for people flying into New York - it's for people driving.

Last year on my Explorer cruise I was told about 50% of the people aboard were from Canada. That is a huge market.

You guys do realize that NCL are putting 2 new 2,000 cabin/suites ships on exactly the same routes from NY/NJ

And the first cruise starts in 12D 09H 19M

http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/

1024x768-nclAerial01.jpg

OMG it is ????? I Guess you hadn't seen the NYC " lets Go" Commercial for the past year.

That's right your in AU.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0I7unPpS0U

When is the first transatOn Quantum??that one interests me!!

If your referring to a trans-Atlantic, depends on the construction time for the QOS possibly mid

November 2014 ???

I guess the mistake started in 2004 ?????

I see my old cabin. My new cabin is now aft-facing. :D

Lucky you :) we enjoy them to on the Voyager and freedom class vessels. I have my cabins all picked for the QOS.

Montreal is 6 hours away,

I lived in Portsmouth between Massholes and Maniacs at one point in my life

My brother and I drove many times up to Montreal and down to Boston and also

to NY and especially to EWR.

You could not do it in 6 hours from the Montreal down to Bayonne, NJ, unless you were very lucky on I87

I can clearly remember a previous trip to see the Fall Colours from EWR and seemed to drive forever North over a swamp ??

I lived in Portsmouth between Massholes and Maniacs at one point in my life

My brother and I drove many times up to Montreal and down to Boston and also

to NY and especially to EWR.

You could not do it in 6 hours from the Montreal down to Bayonne, NJ, unless you were very lucky on I87

I can clearly remember a previous trip to see the Fall Colours from EWR and seemed to drive forever North over a swamp ??

"... somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!" :D

You really need to come further south in Jersey and hit a beach or two. I know alot of people from Quebec like to visit Wildwood!

This location was not picked based on New York area being an amazing place,

That's EXACTLY why Cape Liberty was picked for Quantum (among many other cruise lines, i.e., Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Disney, Queen Elizabeth, Celebrity). NYC is undeniably an amazing place.

CRUISEFAN0001.....W T F are you talkin' about? :confused:

IMHO.....It was time for a new ship to come to the area. Quantum is the next one to be built, so, they're refreshing the market in the NY/NJ area. Simple stuff. It's been a long wait, but, worth it!!! RCCL has nothing to lose. This area has a dedicated cruising contingency and they will have no problem filling that ship (with the exception of the 6 irate people that CRUISEFAN0001 knows). The port itself is no worse than any other port. There are always delays, there is always traffic....ALWAYS!! People choose their cruise based on many factors. It surprises me that someone would choose to not cruise on a particular ship because of the port it's in. But, that's me. I've cruised out of Florida a few times now, but, no longer. The ONLY reason I don't cruise out of Florida anymore is because I cannot edit my packing and it would cost me a fortune to check my bags and all the other crap I bring onboard (water, decorations for my room, etc.) ;) It's more about the airlines, their fees and the nightmare of flying that hinders my decision to sail out of anywhere I'd have to fly to. With that said.....it wouldn't stop me if there was a good deal and good itinerary.

NYC will be a huge draw for people (as it always has been) and a good excuse to come to the area and sail on Quantum. And then, there will be others who don't. See how that works???!!!! You can't please everyone! :D

I'm loyal to Royal but really thinking about trying the new NCL ship Breakaway. Just hate that I would have to start all over again with gaining whatever their status categories are......OK just me complaining! I know, I know it's still a cruise who cares! :rolleyes:

I'm loyal to Royal but really thinking about trying the new NCL ship Breakaway. Just hate that I would have to start all over again with gaining whatever their status categories are......OK just me complaining! I know, I know it's still a cruise who cares! :rolleyes:

RCCl Diamond + much better than the NCL plat level. We are both.

Archived