Worried about being overdressed on non-formal nights

leela14

Hey there - I feel like I have the opposite problem of most LOL. I love dressing up and am wondering if I wear a cocktail dress to dinner on non-formal nights will I look silly? I don't mean anything adorned with beads and sequins - but definitively on the dressier side.

We are sailing on Celebrity in the Mediterranean in May.

I would also need to west my fancier heels which do have some rhinestones. Maybe I should post pics.

Hi. Please don't worry about being overdressed. Celebrity is on the dressier side anyway and Med cruisers seem to dress more formally than the Caribbean. I like to dress up and I don't care if I'm the most dressed up in any group. My friends know I'm not jeans, tennies, sweats and they don't care and I don't care. Everyone has their own style. I say more formal attire is more fun and makes cruising special.

Margee

Thanks ladies!! It's such a rare occasion to dress up (New Year's Eve, the occasional wedding or whatever), I love to have a chance to wear my pretty dresses!! It's one of my favorite things about cruising! Now I just have to hope I'm not too pooped when we come back from the ports to get ready!! Thankfully I think the formal nights are usually on sea days.

Thanks ladies!! It's such a rare occasion to dress up (New Year's Eve, the occasional wedding or whatever), I love to have a chance to wear my pretty dresses!! It's one of my favorite things about cruising! Now I just have to hope I'm not too pooped when we come back from the ports to get ready!! Thankfully I think the formal nights are usually on sea days.

Just back from a 15 day cruise. Had FIFTEEN dresses...lol.....with heals to match them....lol. You will NOT be out of place...especially on Celebrity (which I love..love...love)

Have a GREAT time.

Just back from a 15 day cruise. Had FIFTEEN dresses...lol.....with heals to match them....lol. You will NOT be out of place...especially on Celebrity (which I love..love...love)

Have a GREAT time.

Dear Lord - 15 dresses!!?? I'm a light weight compared to you!! :D

OK I feel better now LOL. Where did you cruise and what line if you don't mind me asking?

Dear Lord - 15 dresses!!?? I'm a light weight compared to you!! :D

OK I feel better now LOL. Where did you cruise and what line if you don't mind me asking?

Hawaii on the Carnival Splendor. Although we had a GREAT GREAT time...I did not care for Carnival at all. We will stick with Celebrity and RCCL

We have cruised the Med on Celebrity for the last 2 years, you won't be overdressed at all.

I always wear a different dress & heels every night on a cruise. I dress as I would going to a nice restaurant. It's one of the reasons I love cruising.

Mom and I dress up every night. We don't get much of a chance at home so it's fun for us. We also take professional pictures before dinner each night. We don't buy all of them of course, but it's just fun to take them.

So don't worry about being overdressed. You probably won't be the only one!

Hi, I agree with everyone else.:) If you feel like dressing up on non-formal

nights go right ahead:D

I wen to the Med last May and it was simply FABULOUS:)...I can't

believe it is almost a year since that cruise.....where has the time gone?

I love Celebrity as well:D

Hey there - I feel like I have the opposite problem of most LOL. I love dressing up and am wondering if I wear a cocktail dress to dinner on non-formal nights will I look silly? I don't mean anything adorned with beads and sequins - but definitively on the dressier side.

I would also need to west my fancier heels which do have some rhinestones. Maybe I should post pics.

Would love to see your pictures. Haven't been on Celebrity for a while but remember people dressed nicely and changed for dinner. Since I almost never "dress" for dinner that is one of my favorite things about cruising.

• 1 month later...

I went on Celebrity to the Med. last summer and wore a dress every single night :) Some nights I even wore a long dress (on non-formal nights). On formal nights I wore prom/homecoming long dresses :) One dress was fully beaded with a train, I went all out. I love to dress up too! (I also brought 13 pairs of shoes, shhh, don't tell anyone LOL)

In my signature is the link to my review and you can see what I wore, I posted a lot of pics. I think I packed over 13 dresses :eek: Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095

You will have a blast, wish I was going back to the med!

You can't over dress on formal night. Regardless of age it is refreshing to see a woman who takes pride in her apperance. I'm sure I've seen thousand dollar dresses at times accented with tens of thousands of dollars worth of diamonds. Not that you have to be that flashy but if you enjoy dressing up well then do it. A heck of a lot better than many I have seen who seem to think jeans and a "clean" t shirt constitute formal wear. My wife and I both enjoy the chance to dress for the occasion.

IMO, it's YOUR VACATION ! Dress to impress yourself! Enjoy!

I went on Celebrity to the Med. last summer and wore a dress every single night :) Some nights I even wore a long dress (on non-formal nights). On formal nights I wore prom/homecoming long dresses :) One dress was fully beaded with a train, I went all out. I love to dress up too! (I also brought 13 pairs of shoes, shhh, don't tell anyone LOL)

In my signature is the link to my review and you can see what I wore, I posted a lot of pics. I think I packed over 13 dresses :eek: Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095

You will have a blast, wish I was going back to the med!

I just read through your review with my morning coffee - FABULOUS!! We are going to many of the same places so it was a real treat - thanks for posting it!! You looked fab in all your photos!

And I learned one thing - I am not climbing to the top of Kotor LOL!!

Question - what was the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet when walking around the cities? I have the worst feet. Last time I tried Sketchers and sandals and SUFFERED. I think I need closed in in shoes (running shoes shudder) and socks - which kills me cause I am a self admitted fashionista. :( But I remember the last time wishing I had my Nike's and socks with me. . . .

I just read through your review with my morning coffee - FABULOUS!! We are going to many of the same places so it was a real treat - thanks for posting it!! You looked fab in all your photos!

Question - what was the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet when walking around the cities? I have the worst feet. Last time I tried Sketchers and sandals and SUFFERED. I think I need closed in in shoes (running shoes shudder) and socks - which kills me cause I am a self admitted fashionista. :( But I remember the last time wishing I had my Nike's and socks with me. . . .

Hi Leela:) I am not the OP but I did the Med last year too. (my trip

was wonderful as well:D) and I wore closed shoes and socks for touring.

But it doesn't kill me because I am not a fashionista;) and it is much

better than having your feet kill you from wearing the wrong shoes.

I purchased a pair of plain black (no designs) walking shoes made by

"Grasshoppers". They saved me (literally) becuase pre-cruise I toured

Rome in sandals and that was a BIG mistake:(...I had one heel that

made me cry by end of the day......(and they were Merrell's too) but

I am not in good shape and I think the walking all day affected my

right heel.....those walking shoes really, really saved me. They are

VERY cushiony and for the rest of the ports that is what I wore on my

feet....I have to give thanks to the "KEDS" company.....Grasshoppers

are made by them but don't look like a sneaker.....more of a black

"walker".

Oh, you know there are lots of gals on here who do wear sandals all over

Europe and that is great they work for them. For me? Shoes and socks

and that is from my experience. I want to go back to Europe next year

and will be taking the same shoes:)!

I hear ya and I know sandals aren't an option for me. Doesn't matter what make, brand or model - not gonna happen. I wish I could do the cute little Sketchers with no socks, but I remember trying that in Barcelona and having to stop every half an hour to add another bandaid to my foot - all the while having my DH ask why I didn't wear better shoes. Sigh.

I'll have to save being fashionable for onboard at night and be comfy by day. We are huge walkers and will be out and about from the time the ship docks until we have to be back onboard. I remember in Rome walking from the Vatican to the Colosseum - 8 hours in the rain. I did wear socks with my Sketchers that day and did very well.

I guess the hunt is on. Being a size 5 doesn't help either - many brands start at size 6.

Hi Leela:) I am not the OP but I did the Med last year too. (my trip

was wonderful as well:D) and I wore closed shoes and socks for touring.

But it doesn't kill me because I am not a fashionista;) and it is much

better than having your feet kill you from wearing the wrong shoes.

I purchased a pair of plain black (no designs) walking shoes made by

"Grasshoppers". They saved me (literally) becuase pre-cruise I toured

Rome in sandals and that was a BIG mistake:(...I had one heel that

made me cry by end of the day......(and they were Merrell's too) but

I am not in good shape and I think the walking all day affected my

right heel.....those walking shoes really, really saved me. They are

VERY cushiony and for the rest of the ports that is what I wore on my

feet....I have to give thanks to the "KEDS" company.....Grasshoppers

are made by them but don't look like a sneaker.....more of a black

"walker".

Oh, you know there are lots of gals on here who do wear sandals all over

Europe and that is great they work for them. For me? Shoes and socks

and that is from my experience. I want to go back to Europe next year

and will be taking the same shoes:)!

My first RCL cruise was our of Galveston and I was impressed with all the hats and sequins the ladies from Texas wore. It gave me courage to try sequined shirts myself and I love them. Being from Maine where winter lasts 8 months, my usual attire is cords, turtleneck and sweater so I LOVE to wear my summer clothes on a cruise. Dress for fun!

Ahh shoes ahh! I hear ya! I wanted to look fashionable too! Well lets see. In Barcelona I wore 6 inch wedges that were VERY comfortable! But in Monaco I wore dressy flat sandals and I thought my back was going to snap in half. I was almost in tears over my back pain. That pretty much ruled out flats for the rest of the trip (while in port, still wore them on ship of course). I ended up getting Puma's. I like Puma's a lot. I think they can be a little more "europe trendy" than say nikes? I actually got lots of compliments by Europeans on my Pumas.

I also did wear my Sperry boat shoes in Rome because we thought it was going to rain and I would rather be in boat shoes in the rain than sneakers or sandals.

I hope this helped some! I know sneakers make you scream tourists but that was the best thing for me :eek: Maybe look at some Pumas :rolleyes:

all the time...cause I FEEL like it...

I have gotten many compliments also....

because I "dressed up".....

Last years 12 days Med cruise...10 dresses for nights, two gowns..(ultalightweight).

I pick my lightest dresses.

Amazing how some dresses can be so much heavier than others...

some linings are so light...others super heavy!

Bernadette

Archived