Worried about being overdressed on non-formal nights

leela14

Ahh shoes ahh! I hear ya! I wanted to look fashionable too! Well lets see. In Barcelona I wore 6 inch wedges that were VERY comfortable! But in Monaco I wore dressy flat sandals and I thought my back was going to snap in half. I was almost in tears over my back pain. That pretty much ruled out flats for the rest of the trip (while in port, still wore them on ship of course). I ended up getting Puma's. I like Puma's a lot. I think they can be a little more "europe trendy" than say nikes? I actually got lots of compliments by Europeans on my Pumas.

I also did wear my Sperry boat shoes in Rome because we thought it was going to rain and I would rather be in boat shoes in the rain than sneakers or sandals.

I hope this helped some! I know sneakers make you scream tourists but that was the best thing for me :eek: Maybe look at some Pumas :rolleyes:

If you're going to Europe, take a look at buying a pair of Superga shoes before you leave. They are a popular casual shoe over in Italy. Comes in a plethora of cool colors. You'll be wearing tennies, but at least they're "local" ;)

If you're going to Europe, take a look at buying a pair of Superga shoes before you leave. They are a popular casual shoe over in Italy. Comes in a plethora of cool colors. You'll be wearing tennies, but at least they're "local" ;)

wow that is awesome! I am going to order some! Wish there was a store I could go try them on at but you found me a new obsession :)

Any other Europe favorites you can share? I am always looking to wear things here in the US that are hard to get or from Europe (that don't break the bank ;))

wow that is awesome! I am going to order some! Wish there was a store I could go try them on at but you found me a new obsession :)

Any other Europe favorites you can share? I am always looking to wear things here in the US that are hard to get or from Europe (that don't break the bank ;))

You could come to NYC!!! They have a store right near Little Italy.

We dress up almost every night on our cruises, even on NCL which is considered casual. I would feel funny in a nice restaurant dressed in my every day clothes plus I look better in a dress and nice shoes than I do in jeans and a t shirt. DH likes to dress nicely too- usually a sports coat and slacks on non-formal night. The two offspring who cruise with us most cruises are both clothes horses.

Hi Leela:) I am not the OP but I did the Med last year too. (my trip

was wonderful as well:D) and I wore closed shoes and socks for touring.

But it doesn't kill me because I am not a fashionista;) and it is much

better than having your feet kill you from wearing the wrong shoes.

I purchased a pair of plain black (no designs) walking shoes made by

"Grasshoppers". They saved me (literally) becuase pre-cruise I toured

Rome in sandals and that was a BIG mistake:(...I had one heel that

made me cry by end of the day......(and they were Merrell's too) but

I am not in good shape and I think the walking all day affected my

right heel.....those walking shoes really, really saved me. They are

VERY cushiony and for the rest of the ports that is what I wore on my

feet....I have to give thanks to the "KEDS" company.....Grasshoppers

are made by them but don't look like a sneaker.....more of a black

"walker".

Oh, you know there are lots of gals on here who do wear sandals all over

Europe and that is great they work for them. For me? Shoes and socks

and that is from my experience. I want to go back to Europe next year

and will be taking the same shoes:)!

There are 17 different walkers in the Grasshoppers. Do you remember what they are? Thanks

You could come to NYC!!! They have a store right near Little Italy.

Just so you both know, I went to Nordstroms last night and ordered a pair! Darn you CC- costing me money to come on here, haha ;):D

There are 17 different walkers in the Grasshoppers. Do you remember what they are? Thanks

Hi, I will look at mine when I get home and post for you this evening.

But I can tell you they are black, lace ups. Plain...no designs or anything

on them. The sole is black too.

Sorry...this should be on the shoe thread........not really on the

dress thread:eek: Oh...this thread was about dresses AND shoes LOL...ok

I don't feel so bad now:)

Thank you. I think I will order them in the stone color instead of black or maybe black.....ohhhh, decisions, decisions

Thank you. I think I will order them in the stone color instead of black or maybe black.....ohhhh, decisions, decisions

Either color would be a neutral. I just prefer the black ones and I

honestly say they really, REALLY saved me.:)...saved my feet:D

Thanks GrammieK....I decided to go to Lord & Taylor....today since I am off for spring break

Bought two dresses on finall clearance for 29.99....used a 20% off coupon...and a 20$ off 40....

so got both AND an Anne Klein ls blouse for 44$ Each dress 17$ and the shirt 11$

One might not cruise, because the skirt part is sequined...not sure if it is too heavy...time will tell...

I had bought a Arianna Papell princess ball gown last year. I might pack it for the heck of it!! Need a tiara though...hahahah Also got a short version- pics attached.

This is the exteme fancy side of my closet....in those two pics.

Bernadette

Bernadette

princess.jpg.f20b6990510e3970b32c4311e77f52b2.jpg

bluedress.jpg.84ab45c47fcd17df3a60c91930c061f1.jpg

Thanks GrammieK....I decided to go to Lord & Taylor....today since I am off for spring break

Bought two dresses on finall clearance for 29.99....used a 20% off coupon...and a 20$ off 40....

so got both AND an Anne Klein ls blouse for 44$ Each dress 17$ and the shirt 11$

One might not cruise, because the skirt part is sequined...not sure if it is too heavy...time will tell...

I had bought a Arianna Papell princess ball gown last year. I might pack it for the heck of it!! Need a tiara though...hahahah Also got a short version- pics attached.

Bernadette

Bernadette

Hi,:) are you asking us for opinions on shoes?....I would say a silver

sandal would go with both. Oh...the dresses are lovely:)

Bernadette

Bernadette

I LOVE the pink dress! They both are my style but I am a sucker for long dresses :) I actually wore a full beaded prom dress one night on our cruise last summer (and 2 other long dresses). Is the pink one from Lord and Taylor?

Bernadette

What a great deal! I love both of the dresses.

Hi Leela:) I am not the OP but I did the Med last year too. (my trip

was wonderful as well:D) and I wore closed shoes and socks for touring.

But it doesn't kill me because I am not a fashionista;) and it is much

better than having your feet kill you from wearing the wrong shoes.

I purchased a pair of plain black (no designs) walking shoes made by

"Grasshoppers". They saved me (literally) becuase pre-cruise I toured

Rome in sandals and that was a BIG mistake:(...I had one heel that

made me cry by end of the day......(and they were Merrell's too) but

I am not in good shape and I think the walking all day affected my

right heel.....those walking shoes really, really saved me. They are

VERY cushiony and for the rest of the ports that is what I wore on my

feet....I have to give thanks to the "KEDS" company.....Grasshoppers

are made by them but don't look like a sneaker.....more of a black

"walker".

Wearing closed shoes and socks in Europe may be optional, it is not in undeveloped areas. I wore Sketchers flats without socks in Costa Rica and was bitten on the foot by something that deposited a parasite in my skin. It caused a lot of misery and infection that traveled all the way up to my knee before my doctors came up with a cure. I won't go without socks in Mexico either. Sandy

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I love dressing up for dinner. It seems the only time I really dress up dressy is when we're cruising. I enjoy it all the shopping, planning outfits etc. We are booked on a NCL cruise in a few weeks and there is no official formal night but I'm wearing a fancy dress one of the nights anyway :) I've started my "list" and have a dress planned for every night (12) I agree with the others that some of the other lines are dressier. You'll feel wonderful !

For the 12 nights, I'm bringing 12 nice dresses (probably a couple long ones, as this is Seabourn). And I don't expect to feel overdressed -- just dolled up and happy! This is a holiday, right?

Wearing closed shoes and socks in Europe may be optional, it is not in undeveloped areas. I wore Sketchers flats without socks in Costa Rica and was bitten on the foot by something that deposited a parasite in my skin. It caused a lot of misery and infection that traveled all the way up to my knee before my doctors came up with a cure. I won't go without socks in Mexico either. Sandy

That's the reason why I wore socks during each excursion on my Panama Canal cruise and will wear socks on my upcoming cruise, fashionable or not.

I don't want any creatures living in the desert coming near my toes, ick!

We dress up a bit each night too. We don't get the chance at home and enjoy it while cruising, even the boys in the family.

My husband and college son wear suits on formal night. They wear dress pants, shirt & tie on the other nights.

My teen daughter wears one of her Homecoming dresses on formal nights. The other nights, she wears dresses or skirt combos from Vanity, American Eagle, etc. Sometimes stuff with lots of sequins. She has a cute one-shoulder top this time that is covered in little silver 'bits'.

I have beaded/stoned outfits for formal nights. The other nights, I wear capri pants and nicer blouses with lots of jewelry.

Dress up & have fun !

Archived